Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Before applying, please note
B of A's restrictions (2-3-4 rule, UPDATED: as of Sept 28,2019 possibly 3/12 for new customers and 7/12 for existing customers. See thread for ongoing discussion) on approving applications:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...24-months.html

Nestled in the terms and conditions of all of the personal Alaska Airlines credit card offers:
"This card will not be available to you if you currently have or have had the card in the preceding 24 month period. This does not apply to the business credit card product."

More info on the COMPANION FARE cert can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-fare-faq.html

This thread is a continuation from THIS discussion (2012-2016)
Concurrent discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...017-later.html

As additional resources for these cards, see the following threads in the Alaska Airlines forum
Please do not delete non working offers because sometimes they start working again. Instead move them to the prior offers section.

PERSONAL CARDS

Current offers:
All offers below are DEAD
72K offer
: 72K offer
70K offer: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
70K + $100 statement credit: click on the direct link to offer in the DoC article...https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-...0-miles-offer/

Prior offers:
50k miles + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend (Live Jan 2021 to May 2021)
40k miles + $100 + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend

As of December 2018, Bank of America no longer gives you a lower bonus if you're approved for Platinum instead of Signature.

Make sure to opt-in to "Partner Offers" within your Mileage Plan account if you wish to be targeted for single-use application links with increases bonuses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check Personal Card application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

Personal card Recon Lines:
1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"
or 888-230-6262

================================================== =======================

BUSINESS CARDS

Current offers:
Now 50k $95 AF $100 Stmt credit $4k spending https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...-business-card

Prior offers:
40K>70K

Read post 844 for tips on being approved for the business card.
It may be easier to get approved for a new business with 0 years and $0 gross income.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

Business card Recon Line:
April 2024: BOA Biz Recon (Small Biz Lending, Credit Analyst) 888-782-7717, 888-569-4439 (M-F 8am-7pm EST), both answered by live human in 2-4 minutes. (Both numbers confirmed multiple times in the past 2-3 days.)
866-695-6598 (8-7pm EST M-F)
Biz card status line: 888 663 6262 (not working)
Biz Card credit analyst line: 888-782-7717
Biz card expedited shipping: wait 24 hours after approval for a card number to generate then call 800-901-9830 and a person will answer. If 1st Rep says "no" ask him/her to ck. with a supervisor. This worked for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Inquiries
Credit Inquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Inquiries for business cards come from FIA.
Credit bureaus usually merge inquiries from the same requester made on the same day.
Inquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

Does one have to call BoA to lower a card's credit limit?
Yes, there is no longer any way to contact BOA online. Phone is the only method currently.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.

Can you send a secure message through your account online?
No. BOA has removed the secure message functionality, even for Preferred members. The only way to contact BOA now is to call them.

Can I apply for another personal Alaska card if I have one open already?
Some people still can, but these days many people get denied. If you don't want to risk getting denied, it's probably better if you close any existing personal Alaska cards before applying for another one. But be sure to lower credit limit as low as possible at least a few business days before you close the card (though the earlier you can do it the better), because credit limit that's left on the card when you close it stays unavailable to new card applications for a year or more (while credit limit that's lowered as a separate step becomes available to new card applications much sooner)!

.................................................. .................

Use or earn Mileage Plan miles with Alaska's Global Partners
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...tners-overview

Print Wikipost

Bank of America Alaska Airlines card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by invalyd
One pull when applying (rejection), got denial letter telling me to open CD which I promptly did, then they pulled again a month later when I assume they finally got around to looking at the app. It is TU so I am not sure if I will bother fighting it as seems to be a huge hassle.

Btw I saw one report of a person successfully getting the second pull removed after fighting and escalating to CFPB
Same experience with my pulls but was still denied lol. I'm not sure I want to fight tooth and nail to get one inquiry off my report. I was hoping a Direct Dispute would do, but it seems they don't work on inquiries.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: Whatever you have, I have too.
Surprisingly, I got approved for the Business cc w/o any request for tax forms or any requirement to open a CD. My guess is I escaped those hoops because I've been a long time BoA customer both with checking account and savings account plus I've had the AS personal card for more than a decade with no abuses of it. Credit score stays over 800. Still, I did not get instant approval but about ten days later I received an email congratulating me on getting approved for it. From reading this thread I'm thinking I got lucky.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Tpa-flyer
Surprisingly, I got approved for the Business cc w/o any request for tax forms or any requirement to open a CD. My guess is I escaped those hoops because I've been a long time BoA customer both with checking account and savings account plus I've had the AS personal card for more than a decade with no abuses of it. Credit score stays over 800. Still, I did not get instant approval but about ten days later I received an email congratulating me on getting approved for it. From reading this thread I'm thinking I got lucky.
You did not get lucky, most people here do not store assets with BoA, and for good reason.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by invalyd
You did not get lucky, most people here do not store assets with BoA, and for good reason.
Are you not aware of the BOA Preferred Rewards program?
Old Mar 29, 2018, 12:30 pm

Well, I continue to tip my cap to you guys getting auto-approvals, and even approvals after calls with BoA.

After getting absolutely crushed by BoA on my personal application, they did the same on a business app.

Applied with my name as business, $0 in income, 0 years of being in business. Unfroze my TransUnion before I applied (802 score) and got the hard pull successfully after applying.

Immediately got a phone call, which I took (oh well?) and got grilled about my business and I answered truthfully of course. The agent then went on hold to do "some searches" then came back and denied me due to my business not being open long enough AND she saw I had just got another business credit card (CitiBusiness AA card).

Maybe I am naive, or at least new to business cards, but I was not expecting them to see I had just got a new business card. Everything these days is recorded, but still, I guess I had it in my mind that business cards kinda skirt by (Chase 5/24 had this on my mind) but ..... obviously not with BoA!

Hopefully I have better luck with AMEX business cards soon, but I know they're now doing the $1000 revenue requirement on the form, but I know that is a whole different discussion regarding being able to put "projected revenue" or not.

She denied me but she will send me a letter to get a secured business card with a CD (assuming the 1.5K CD thing). She said if I do this within 30 days, there will not be another hard pull. Gee, thanks.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
AND she saw I had just got another business credit card (CitiBusiness AA card).

Maybe I am naive, or at least new to business cards, but I was not expecting them to see I had just got a new business card. Everything these days is recorded, but still, I guess I had it in my mind that business cards kinda skirt by (Chase 5/24 had this on my mind) but ..... obviously not with BoA!
You're getting two things confused. In normal credit applications (personal or business), to evaluate your credit, only the consumer bureaus (TU/EX/EQ) tend to be checked.

But you were on a call with a human who was manually checking after talking to you. Well, there are a couple business card credit bureaus out there that business credit cards report to, it's just that: (a) banks don't tend to check them automatically, but can do so manually, and (b) they aren't known to most people, and (c) you can't necessarily get easy access to them as a cardholder the way you can to TU/EX/EQ. It was probably because of the answers you gave that this agent decided to check the business credit bureaus; it doesn't prove that BofA routinely checks that for all business card applications, it just proves that they can if they want to (and any bank can if they want to).

And, in case you're unaware, the big difference with Chase is not what they do on a call, it's that they ask you to call as opposed to BofA calling you. People who know the best ways of dealing with Chase know to never call back when asked on a business card application (because you're likely to get a grilling about your business that gets you denial), and just ignore it (especially as often they approve you if you don't call, whereas your chances of being denied go way up if you do call).

So just because you happened to run into this at BofA doesn't really prove that much about differences between BofA and Chase, except that BofA can call you, so I guess be careful about picking your phone if you've applied for a BofA business card!
Old Mar 30, 2018, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
You're getting two things confused. In normal credit applications (personal or business), to evaluate your credit, only the consumer bureaus (TU/EX/EQ) tend to be checked.

But you were on a call with a human who was manually checking after talking to you. Well, there are a couple business card credit bureaus out there that business credit cards report to, it's just that: (a) banks don't tend to check them automatically, but can do so manually, and (b) they aren't known to most people, and (c) you can't necessarily get easy access to them as a cardholder the way you can to TU/EX/EQ. It was probably because of the answers you gave that this agent decided to check the business credit bureaus; it doesn't prove that BofA routinely checks that for all business card applications, it just proves that they can if they want to (and any bank can if they want to).

And, in case you're unaware, the big difference with Chase is not what they do on a call, it's that they ask you to call as opposed to BofA calling you. People who know the best ways of dealing with Chase know to never call back when asked on a business card application (because you're likely to get a grilling about your business that gets you denial), and just ignore it (especially as often they approve you if you don't call, whereas your chances of being denied go way up if you do call).

So just because you happened to run into this at BofA doesn't really prove that much about differences between BofA and Chase, except that BofA can call you, so I guess be careful about picking your phone if you've applied for a BofA business card!
What caught me off guard is they called on my office number. I do not even remember giving it out to BoA, but I guess it was sitting on their CRM somewhere as I've had a long relationship with BoA. I missed their initial call on my cell phone, but I picked up my office line ... and the rest was history.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Well, I continue to tip my cap to you guys getting auto-approvals, and even approvals after calls with BoA.

After getting absolutely crushed by BoA on my personal application, they did the same on a business app.

Applied with my name as business, $0 in income, 0 years of being in business. Unfroze my TransUnion before I applied (802 score) and got the hard pull successfully after applying.

Immediately got a phone call, which I took (oh well?) and got grilled about my business and I answered truthfully of course. The agent then went on hold to do "some searches" then came back and denied me due to my business not being open long enough AND she saw I had just got another business credit card (CitiBusiness AA card).

Hopefully I have better luck with AMEX business cards soon, but I know they're now doing the $1000 revenue requirement on the form, but I know that is a whole different discussion regarding being able to put "projected revenue" or not.

She denied me but she will send me a letter to get a secured business card with a CD (assuming the 1.5K CD thing). She said if I do this within 30 days, there will not be another hard pull. Gee, thanks.
I had a very similar experience with BOA (even though I have been banking with them for over 15 years). Business AMEX was a breeze. Got approved in 90 seconds over the phone.

Good luck!
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:19 pm

Hi, are there any restrictions or general advice on churning Alaska Airlines business cards? I know about 2/3/4 for BofA personal cards and the 3 (4?) per-year limit on Alaska personal cards but haven't really found anything solid on business-card rules. Can you churn the cards and/or apply for them for more than one legitimate business? If so, what are the rules? Any AS business-card experts here? Thanks a lot.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aleather
Hi, are there any restrictions or general advice on churning Alaska Airlines business cards? I know about 2/3/4 for BofA personal cards and the 3 (4?) per-year limit on Alaska personal cards but haven't really found anything solid on business-card rules. Can you churn the cards and/or apply for them for more than one legitimate business? If so, what are the rules? Any AS business-card experts here? Thanks a lot.
It's constantly changing, and there are not that many people doing it (and no one that I know of doing it "hard"). People get approved for one card and then a while later get denied for another card, or asked to open a $1500 CD to get approved, or required to send in tons of tax documents and/or other tons of other documents (which they may not even have) to get approved.

But YMMV (it varies from one person to the next tremendously) more than anything else, so you can't really know what they'll ask of you until you try it.

Just be prepared to send lots of tax documents and other documentation about your business, and/or to open $1500 CDs to get a $1500 CL.

As always, if you have a non-trivial credit limit, reduce it as much as possible as soon as possible, because any credit limit you reduce on an open card may only take a few months to be available for another card, while any credit limit left on an a BofA card when you close it is likely to be "locked up" for over a year.

And that, in turn, may put a limit on how often you can churn even business cards.

Oh, and one person was told that they opened too many business cards at other banks, because they answered their work phone when called by BofA, and BofA while on that call decided to check a business credit bureau (those do exist). So try to make sure you never answer any phone if BofA calls after you've applied for a business card.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 1:00 pm

I am in need of some AS miles so I'm rearin' to apply for some CC's. I cancelled my only BoA card in Oct '17 and have a credit rating of ~790 and earn $120k. I didn't know to lower my $12k limit before cancelling

I would like to do 2 personal applications in one time, monday during business hours, but I haven't seen any comments over the last 20 pages talking about this anymore. Is it still a thing? Should I just do 1 personal and 1 business at the same time? (I don't have a business but will do as stated in the previous posts)
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kyyyyyy
I am in need of some AS miles so I'm rearin' to apply for some CC's. I cancelled my only BoA card in Oct '17 and have a credit rating of ~790 and earn $120k. I didn't know to lower my $12k limit before cancelling

I would like to do 2 personal applications in one time, monday during business hours, but I haven't seen any comments over the last 20 pages talking about this anymore. Is it still a thing? Should I just do 1 personal and 1 business at the same time? (I don't have a business but will do as stated in the previous posts)

Welcome to posting on FlyerTalk Kyyyyyy!

There's no good reason to do both at the same time, and you just increase your chances of problems IMHO. Put a priority on one applicaton, and see what happens with it, before you apply for another. The worse than can happen is not get denied, it's getting every single one of your personal applications being approval for a Platinum (instead of Signature) which means only 5k bonus.

So until you know your first card has been approved as a Signature card (which is necessary for it to earn 30k), I would wait on any other applications. (And that $12k you didn't lower is tied up for another half year of more. Which increases your chances of getting approved only for Platinum.)

If you do get a first card approved as Signature, that doesn't mean the next card will be. You may need lower the credit limit on the Signature, and wait several months, before trying for another Signature.

Or, if you get a Signature, and then try for business, you don't know if you''ll get only approved if you open a $1500 CD to "secure" a $1500 line of credit. That's one thing that's happened to many other people, another even recent thing is getting asked to send business documents you may not be able to send if you don't have a business! And you don't want to answer any phone calls from BofA (anywhere: home, mobile, work) while you have a business card application pending, because that's another way to doom such an application.

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 8, 2018 at 8:41 pm
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:35 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kyyyyyy

In a word, no. The days of App-O-Rama are long over.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:51 am

I was wondering if there are any recent reports to getting approved for a personal Alaska card while a business card is open.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:40 am

Opened my $1,500 CD at my local BoA branch with a pre-made appointment. Took around 35 minutes to sign and process everything. Did not need a BoA business checking account, or even a personal account, as I funded the CD with a check from my personal Chase checking account. Very easy process honestly, and I confirmed over the phone with a credit analyst it is the same exact Alaska Business card, even though it is secured (for now). It may graduate to an unsecured card in a few months, but they usually say 12 month minimum so they do not over promise.

I'll update once I get the card and my points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.