Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
As an additional resource for these cards see this thread: Alaska Airlines Visa

PERSONAL CARDS
30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...s-credit-card/
+2k miles if done with onboard paper application

30k mile offer with $100 credit and fee for companion ticket waived the first year, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4020594
link no longer working

30k mile offer with $100 credit, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4009277
link no longer working

If you are applying for a personal Alaska card, and are not an expert on applying for Alaska cards STOP, don't apply yet.
Instead, read this post. Doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

A few people in the Alaska Airlines forum have in the past received personally targeted, single-use links for a 50k offer
when they opt-in to "Partner Offers" in their Mileage Plan account preferences.

=======================================

BUSINESS CARDS

30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend, no foreign transaction fees:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/smallb...-credit-card//

Note: There are two different earning formats for the business card, which you choose when you apply:
  • $50 per company, $25 per card (Business Level Earning Plan)
    • $0 per company, $75 per card (Individual Level Earning Plan)

To avoid billing confusion later, make sure you choose the Individual Level Earning Plan if you are not going to have employee cards under the same account as your account.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reconsideration # (for personal cards):

1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"

1-866-811-4108 from the Alaska Airlines Visa thread post 949

Business card Recon Line:
866-695-6598 (8-7 EST M-F from what I was told)

Biz card status line: 888 663 6262
Biz Card credit analyst line: 877 665 5022, 877 665 5023 (seems to be non-working number)

Check application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Enquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Enquiries for business cards come from FIA. Credit bureaus usually merge enquiries from the same requester made on the same day. Enquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.
.................................................. .................
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Just called to cancel the oldest of my 3 AS cards, as I "no longer need to use it to separate expenses, and the AF is about to come due".

CSR was very friendly and understanding. However before she cancelled the card she offered me a bonus of 2,500 miles to keep it open.

I very politely told her 'thanks, but no thanks'.
why not take the 2,500 and then cancel as soon as it posts?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:00 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Personal ethics?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dayone
Personal ethics?
eh not really
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Because I plan on getting a new card 4X a year, and want B/A to still think of me as a "good customer". I value my next 30K sign up bonus far more than 2,500 miles.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Because I plan on getting a new card 4X a year, and want B/A to still think of me as a "good customer". I value my next 30K sign up bonus far more than 2,500 miles.
Ah, the please don't blacklist me method.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by hiima
Did you get a letter asking for business documents? I got one and might just let it lapse. I don't exactly have articles of incorporation or the like.
Nope. I signed up as a sole proprietor with my social security number. However, I do actually have a legit business that makes money.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:08 pm

Closed two of my AS cards yesterday.
Could I apply two new ones today? I'll need them for the weekend trip.
Is 24 hours enough for the system to update the "card closed" information and release the credit line?

Thank you!
Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milaohu
Closed two of my AS cards yesterday.
Could I apply two new ones today? I'll need them for the weekend trip.
Is 24 hours enough for the system to update the "card closed" information and release the credit line?
You did things in the wrong order! You should have asked first!

No, it can takes weeks if not months.

Thus you want to either:

1. Reduce credit lines on existing cards as soon as you can, but at least a couple months before you close them.

and/or:

2. Close only after you apply for the new card. In recon, they can pull credit from an existing card to a new card, but they can't pull credit from a closed card.

So the credit limit from a closed card goes into a "limbo" for a while, where it's not much good for anything.

IMHO you should apply for a business card. That way you'll get a 30k bonus or nothing. The big fear with personal cards is that they'll approve you for a small credit limit and give you Platinum card, which will give you only 5k bonus now, and you'll have to wait two months to get the remaining 25k.

So for personal cards, you might as well just wait the two months to apply, probably.

Unless you get approved for a big credit limit on the business card, then reduce that credit limit as soon as you've activated the card, and then maybe in a few weeks you might be OK to apply for a personal. (Credit limit that's reduced tends to be available to new cards faster than credit limit from cancelled cards.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 26, 2016 at 5:18 pm
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: SPG preferred, AA, United
Originally Posted by sdsearch
The big fear with personal cards is that they'll approve you for a small credit limit and give you Platinum card, which will give you only 5k bonus now, and you'll have to wait two months to get the remaining 25k.
Can you explain this a little more? I applied for the 30k offer and received the Platinum card and only got 5k. Do they still give the rest (25k) after the 3 months are up? I thought you only got 5k and that was it.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by daprophecy
Can you explain this a little more? I applied for the 30k offer and received the Platinum card and only got 5k. Do they still give the rest (25k) after the 3 months are up? I thought you only got 5k and that was it.
Correct, only the 5K. If you go back thru the thread this is explained in detail. Forgive me, but having written this up elevnty-seven times, I just don't feel like doing it again.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:14 pm

Correct, only the 5K. If you go back thru the thread this is explained in detail. Forgive me, but having written this up elevnty-seven times, I just don't feel like doing it again.
I get you. I wouldn't want to explain the same thing over and over either. Maybe Wiki? I read some previous comments and this is what I understand.

If you get approved for the Plat card you have to reapply same day and talk to recon. Try to get the second app converted to Sig. If you do get the Plat card delivered then you will have to call CSR and request a Sig card which takes up to 2 months. Is that all correct?

My questions was if you have already hit your min spend on the Plat card and requested a Sig card will you still get the remaining miles or are you sol?
Old Jul 27, 2016, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by daprophecy
if you have already hit your min spend on the Plat card...you are SOL !
What you can do, but I really recommend you read the instructions back a ways in this thread first, is apply for another card. AFAIK, you can't get your Plat card upgraded now, although I've never tried it this late in the cycle.

But you can get another card, with of course another HP. If you do decide to apply for another AS card, first call B/A and lower the CL on your current card to $1,000 The last thing you want is another instant approval for another Plat card, so the lower your B/A CL the better. Then give that at least a few weeks to make it's way thru the B/A system.

I can't believe the Wiki doesn't answer your other questions, but I just checked and it says not a word about them.

So I guess I need to go back thru my list of posts, find my best one, and add it to the wiki. Not really what I wanted to do today, but now I understand why people keep making the same mistakes with their apps, then coming here and asking the same questions over and over.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:02 pm

Couldn't find a good post of mine, but came across this great post by Brugge, and placed a note in the Wiki to read it before applying for a personal AS card.

Originally Posted by Brugge
There is a lengthy and painstaking way to get your Plat card replaced with a Sig card, and get the full 25K bonus. Not "upgraded", once a card is issued, it can't be upgraded, they have to open a new app for you from their side. If you look back thru the thread, I've given the full details on this. Be aware it will take at least 2 months to get the new card, and will involve another HP. So maybe just reapply, hope that due to the recent app it will go to pending, and Recon may very well approve you for a Sig. Then cancel the recent inferior card, it's not worth the AF.

The way to get a Sig card, if you are instantly approved for a lessor card, is to just reapply the same day. Most likely that app will go to pending, or be denied as a mistaken "duplicate app". Then you can call Recon, and get them to reopen the app, give you a Sig for your second app, and cancel the first one. All apps on the same day get combined, so your second, or third if necessary, will only register as one HP with the CB.

Don't keep the lessor cards open, as lately AS is closing the accounts of people who get multiple AS cards the same day. Make sure they are canceled as soon as the Sig card is approved.

Also make sure you apply during weekday business hours, as B/A Recon is closed evenings and weekends, and if you have to call them a day later, you will end up with another HP.

Last edited by RobertHanson; Jul 27, 2016 at 5:08 pm
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:05 am

hi, i currently own 3 BOA AS signature cards (all personal). applied the first one in feb and the 2nd+3rd one in june. all cards have high CL now (each is 17-18K), but i know i am supposed to lower them in preparation for the next round of app. will do that after the 30K bonus posts for the recent 2 cards.

looking for tips on the least risky method to churn this card with great chance for auto-approval during app, because i m planning to apply again >90 days after june's app. but it seems like 3 boa as personal cards are the 'max' one can have these days

questions:
1) how low should you lower the CL to? i presume you cant lower it to less than $5K bc $5K is the CL associated with the lessor card (platinum card)?

2) is it better to cancel some of my cards before applying, or leave them open?
reason for this question is... i guess there is only a certain extent you can say you need X number of cards bc you want to "separate your expenses". so of course my worry is that i had to answer the question of why i need a 4th card if my app is not auto-approved. this will likely happen if i freeze my Experian report (see q3)

3) BOA has been pulling from my Experian, and i am considering freezing my Experian. but if i do that, i presume the app can never be auto-approved, correct? ie. i would need to call in and talk to a human and ask them to pull my TU, for example.

i did consider applying for the BOA AS Biz card.. but this one doesnt come with the $100 SC so is less appealing
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:49 am

What you can do, but I really recommend you read the instructions back a ways in this thread first, is apply for another card. AFAIK, you can't get your Plat card upgraded now, although I've never tried it this late in the cycle.

But you can get another card, with of course another HP. If you do decide to apply for another AS card, first call B/A and lower the CL on your current card to $1,000 The last thing you want is another instant approval for another Plat card, so the lower your B/A CL the better. Then give that at least a few weeks to make it's way thru the B/A system.

I can't believe the Wiki doesn't answer your other questions, but I just checked and it says not a word about them.

So I guess I need to go back thru my list of posts, find my best one, and add it to the wiki. Not really what I wanted to do today, but now I understand why people keep making the same mistakes with their apps, then coming here and asking the same questions over and over.
Couldn't find a good post of mine, but came across this great post by Brugge, and placed a note in the Wiki to read it before applying for a personal AS card.
Thanks for taking the time and putting that up. So as of right now I'm sol. I'll have to wait the three months and grab another card. Thanks for all your help.

BTW I was able to upgrade my Plat to Sig (I had hopes of getting the rest of 25k but looks like that's not going to happen) and getting 1k AS for my trouble. No hard pull. Not worth the 30 minutes I spent on the phone with them.

Again, thanks for all your help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.