Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
As an additional resource for these cards see this thread: Alaska Airlines Visa

PERSONAL CARDS
30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...s-credit-card/
+2k miles if done with onboard paper application

30k mile offer with $100 credit and fee for companion ticket waived the first year, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4020594
link no longer working

30k mile offer with $100 credit, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4009277
link no longer working

If you are applying for a personal Alaska card, and are not an expert on applying for Alaska cards STOP, don't apply yet.
Instead, read this post. Doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

A few people in the Alaska Airlines forum have in the past received personally targeted, single-use links for a 50k offer
when they opt-in to "Partner Offers" in their Mileage Plan account preferences.

=======================================

BUSINESS CARDS

30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend, no foreign transaction fees:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/smallb...-credit-card//

Note: There are two different earning formats for the business card, which you choose when you apply:
  • $50 per company, $25 per card (Business Level Earning Plan)
    • $0 per company, $75 per card (Individual Level Earning Plan)

To avoid billing confusion later, make sure you choose the Individual Level Earning Plan if you are not going to have employee cards under the same account as your account.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reconsideration # (for personal cards):

1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"

1-866-811-4108 from the Alaska Airlines Visa thread post 949

Business card Recon Line:
866-695-6598 (8-7 EST M-F from what I was told)

Biz card status line: 888 663 6262
Biz Card credit analyst line: 877 665 5022, 877 665 5023 (seems to be non-working number)

Check application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Enquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Enquiries for business cards come from FIA. Credit bureaus usually merge enquiries from the same requester made on the same day. Enquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.
.................................................. .................
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Originally Posted by Superorb
Wife met $1k spend, statement from June 27th shows 31k points sent to her AS account, but AS account still does not show points. How long does it normally take for them to show up in the AS account?
I was wondering the same thing. I did an online chat with a BofA rep and was told that the miles would show up after the closing date for the month.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by ukinny2000
AS miles usually show up on Sundays (sometimes morning, sometimes evening) following statement closure
Odd, but thanks for the heads up.

Originally Posted by cajunguy
I was wondering the same thing. I did an online chat with a BofA rep and was told that the miles would show up after the closing date for the month.
I never trust agents since they're usually wrong compared to reports here.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 2:10 pm

BOA is weird as f.

I applied without the $100 statement credit. I asked them to match it, but they told me no can't do, and to apply for same card again to get the $100 statement credit.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Originally Posted by ukinny2000
AS miles usually show up on Sundays (sometimes morning, sometimes evening) following statement closure
Can you change your statement end day to speed up the bonus? I've got a trip in three weeks and got approved for the card a few days ago. Could bump my ticket to 1st class if I can get the bonus quick....

(FFMileRichPeopleProblems, I know...)
Old Jul 2, 2016, 2:54 am

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
Can you change your statement end day to speed up the bonus? I've got a trip in three weeks and got approved for the card a few days ago. Could bump my ticket to 1st class if I can get the bonus quick....

(FFMileRichPeopleProblems, I know...)
No. Makes it take longer since they extend your current closing date to the next new one.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
The offers which require minimum spend have only been around about month.

So you're asking whether you can apply for a 3rd card in one month???

The general recommendation around here is to wait 90 days between personal card applications. (Mixing a personal and business quicker is less of an issue than applying for personal cards too quickly.)

You need to have a long term view; not just whether you can get approved today, but whether you can keep getting approved in the future. Rushing it too much now may risk not being able to do it all in the future.

Furthermore, this is the BofA Alaska card, where "approved" is not so simple. It's easy to get approved but for the wrong Alaksa card (Platinum) which gives hardly any bonus at all. And that may increase the quicker you try to do it (since the way to try to avoid that is to reduce credit limits after you've had the card a little while, but you don't have "a little while" if you're doing card apps back-to-back-to-back).
Aren't we still applying for 3 or 4 cards in 1 day?? I got 3 in one day 6 months ago. The Dan'sDeals scare was people using their miles after they had cancelled their cards and paid no fee (why there's a $1K minimum spend now). And i see nothing in the T&C about only one $100 credit per person.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 6:15 am

Annual fee question. If I close an account within 60 days of opening, can I keep my bonus miles and get the annual fee refunded?
Old Jul 2, 2016, 6:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
Annual fee question. If I close an account within 60 days of opening, can I keep my bonus miles and get the annual fee refunded?
Yes
Old Jul 2, 2016, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you do it once, perhaps. But if you keep applying for this card, and keep doing it, expect to be blacklisted.

But why? You can get a net annual fee of -$25, but using the link that offers 30k miles and $100 statement credit for the same $1000 spend. That's the way most people here "wipe out" the annual fee the first year.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 9:15 am
Suspended

But why?
With all due respect, I don't think he was trying to be convinced to avoid it. He asked a simple question which has a simple answer. The answer to his question is "yes."
Old Jul 2, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs up "Use Card Now" immediately after (instant) approval with $100 credit link

I applied yesterday for the 30k offer with the $100 statement credit. I got an instant approval (for a five-digit CL again and confirmed as Sig, which was a relief after my previous $1500 CL Plat "system error" fiasco).

On the instant approval page, I got a button labeled "Use Card Now".

When I clicked it, after filling out some info and after verifying that I had read some stuff, I got a full card number, expiration date, and CVV code to print out and use.

Reminder: The $100 statement credit links originate from the Alaska website when you're making a flight purchase. With that in mind:

On the page to print out, it said: "We'll automatically prefill your new credit care information when you check out." I was baffled about this for a moment, then I realized they expect this link to be coming from the Alaska website, so they presumably expect me to be in the middle of purchasing a flight! But in may case, I wasn't, so the "Use my card now" button on that page did nothing.

I tried to use the card a few minutes later to pay a bill. It was rejected, and then a minute or two later I got a call from BofA fraud protection, asking if I had tried to make that purchase. I said yes, and they unlocked it, had me try it again while I was on the phone, and this time it worked.

The BofA agent mentioned that it seemed I had got gotten approved for the card very recently, maybe the same day, and I mentioned that I had been approved only about 10 minutes before I tried to use the card. Of note, the site I was making a payment on did not ask for the CVV, only for the card number and the expiration date.

The BofA agent gave me conflicting information, so I'm not sure exactly how long this card info is valid (they told about 48 hours?) and I'm not sure if the card number is the same as my physical card number. It took at today (ie, this morning) before the card showed up in my account on the BofA website, and the last 4 digits showing in my account online match the last 4 digits of the temporary card info I printed out. However, the temporary card info I printed out has an unusually short expiration date (less than a full year), so I presume my physical card may have a different expiration date and/or a different CVV code.

Has anyone else run into this yet?

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 2, 2016 at 9:32 am
Old Jul 2, 2016, 3:20 pm

The BofA agent gave me conflicting information, so I'm not sure exactly how long this card info is valid (they told about 48 hours?) and I'm not sure if the card number is the same as my physical card number. It took at today (ie, this morning) before the card showed up in my account on the BofA website, and the last 4 digits showing in my account online match the last 4 digits of the temporary card info I printed out. However, the temporary card info I printed out has an unusually short expiration date (less than a full year), so I presume my physical card may have a different expiration date and/or a different CVV code.

Has anyone else run into this yet?
Yes, I used the new card numbers to make a number of purchases, all before receiving the card. I used it over the course of 7 days or so before the CC came in the mail, and everything worked fine after fraud called for the first transaction. I don't know if it ever expires, but I don't know if the card number is the same as the real card.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 3:33 pm

Yes. But you might get blacklisted by BA or account shut down by Alaska if you do it much. Several people on DansDeals had their mileage accounts closed for pushing this too much last year.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tassojunior
Yes. But you might get blacklisted by BA or account shut down by Alaska if you do it much. Several people on DansDeals had their mileage accounts closed for pushing this too much last year.
I've done it a ton with Virgin Atlantic with no problems. I've done 3 or 4x with Alaska with no problems. Anecdotal evidence but I'm dubious about blacklisting claims. I feel like those who were blacklisted may have been doing other shady things besides pocketing CC miles and getting AF's refunded.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 8:31 pm

Data point:

-Applied and received Signature in Feb., 16K CL, got the 25K miles.
-In May, lowered the CL on the Sig to 9K.
-In late June, applied for another Sig after hours on a Friday (I know, dumb).
-Got approved for the Platinum instead, only 3K CL.
-Read the previous advice on this board, and therefore applied a second time, which went to pending. Hoped to cancel the Plat app, and process the second app as a Sig through a phone call on Monday.
-Called Monday morning, but by then a card had already been assigned for my approved Plat and was showing up online. Agent was very helpful, but couldn't just cancel the Plat and process the second Sig app, because the Plat had already been created. So I'm stuck doing the two-month upgrade thing.

Here's the thing, though: after lowering my CL from 16K to 9K on my first card in preparation for the second app, they just took 3K from that card and gave me the Plat, lowering my original Sig to 6K. On the phone call, in order to process the upgrade from Plat to Sig, the agent shifted the 9K of CL so that there was 8K on the new, to-be-upgraded-to-Sig card, and 1K on the original card. So I guess this serves as a warning that lowering your CL won't always work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.