Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2022, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyingfkb
All internal restrictions removed:
  • Belgium - No border restrictions (per IATA, no restrictions; per Belgian government, "This does not apply to travelers coming from a country with a new variant of concern.").
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina - No border restrictions.
  • Bulgaria - No border restrictions.
  • Denmark - No border restrictions.
  • Croatia - No border restrictions.
  • Czech Republic - No border restrictions.
  • England - No border restrictions.
  • Estonia - No border restrictions.
  • Finland - No border restrictions.
  • France - Some border restrictions remain for non-vaccinated pax coming from some non-EU countries. Masks required on some public transport (Nice).
  • Germany - No border restrictions.
  • Greece - No border restrictions. ​
  • Hungary - No border restrictions.
  • Iceland - No border restrictions.
  • Ireland - No border restrictions.
  • Kosovo - No border restrictions.
  • Latvia - No border restrictions.
  • Malta - No border restrictions.
  • Moldova - No border restrictions.
  • Netherlands - Some border restrictions remain for non-EU arrivals.
  • Norway - No border restrictions.
  • North Macedonia - No border restrictions.
  • Poland - No border restrictions.
  • Portugal, Madeira and Porto Santo - no border restrictions (excludes Azores)
  • Romania - No border restrictions.
  • Scotland - No border restrictions.
  • Serbia - No border restrictions.
  • Slovakia - No border restrictions.
  • Slovenia - No border restrictions.
  • Sweden - No border restrictions.
  • Switzerland - No border restrictions.
  • Turkey - No border restrictions.
  • Wales - No border restrictions.
Internal restrictions generally removed, but masks still needed in some situations:
  • Austria - No border restrictions. Masks required in Vienna.
  • Cyprus (excluding TRNC) - No border restrictions. Masks needed on public transport.
  • Italy - No border restrictions. Face mask rules extended to 30 September on public transport and indoor settings.
  • Lithuania - No border restrictions but masks required on public transport.
​​​Note that the list excludes any restrictions that may exist in health care and social care, as these are generally irrelevant for tourists.

European airlines not requiring masks on board:
  • Network-wide: Norwegian, Czech Airlines, Smartwings, Flyr, Widerøe, BRA, TAP, Brussels Airlines
  • On some routes:
    • airBaltic - Recommended on all flights, but only required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. List not available.
    • Air France - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. List not available.
    • Air Serbia
    • Austrian - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. List not available.
    • British Airways - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate - list available on BA's website
    • Croatia Airlines - Required to/from Germany
    • EasyJet - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate.
    • Finnair - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. Currently only TO Spain. List here: https://www.finnair.com/fi-en/flight...lights-2364672
    • Icelandair - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate: Paris, Germany and Canada
    • KLM - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate, list not available.
    • LOT - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate extending to foreign planes. List not available.
    • SAS - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate extending to foreign planes: Flights to/from Italy and China.
    • Swiss - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate - list available on Swiss website.
    • Wizz Air - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate, list not available.
Print Wikipost

Europe reopening 2022 -

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2022, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sfgiants13
Looks like some countries are discussing bringing back restrictions like masks again. Hopefully EU countries don't lose their minds again and start bringing back travel restrictions after the summer travel season that accomplished nothing and were nothing more than safety theater. If they're going up now I would assume at the end of summer they'd be on their way back down and will hopefully prevent it. I don't fancy having to jump through hoops just to travel.
Mask requirements coming back would not adjust my travel plans. Work or meeting places not being as open or the return of testing requirements would result in planning adjustments.

Given the ugly inflation situation in Europe and the toughening interest rate situation, I doubt there will be a lot of EUropean appetite to have Covid make things later this year look like the they were 15-22 months ago.
DaveS, nk15 and Synapseturquoise like this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 5:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by the810
As always, I'm booking my trips based on previous performances of individual countries and the current public atittude to COVID. Booking anything in countries like France or Austria would be insane right now as they are extremely likely to bring back draconic measures. Scandinavia and central Europe seem to be the best bets right now. (Edit: UK is probably safe too.)
We're planning a trip to Europe in September. We were thinking of Austria but decided against it for that very reason. We settled on Budapest, Prague, and Zurich which don't seem likely at the moment to bring back restrictions. Obviously the situation can change and everything is refundable should I need to make some adjustments minus a $50 Ryanair ticket.
LETTERBOY, the810 and volabam like this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 11:50 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
If you take the train from London to Paris, what travel and/or Covid documents are checked and when/where? Thanks.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 7:30 am

Looks like some countries are discussing bringing back restrictions like masks again. Hopefully EU countries don't lose their minds again and start bringing back travel restrictions after the summer travel season that accomplished nothing and were nothing more than safety theater. If they're going up now I would assume at the end of summer they'd be on their way back down and will hopefully prevent it. I don't fancy having to jump through hoops just to travel.
IMO travel restrictions are not really on the table. Certainly not within the EU, and probably not from outside. Border restrictions have been proven ineffective by the earlier restrictions, yet they are extremely disruptive.
84fiero, LETTERBOY and volabam like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by CyBeR
IMO travel restrictions are not really on the table. Certainly not within the EU, and probably not from outside. Border restrictions have been proven ineffective by the earlier restrictions, yet they are extremely disruptive.
Being ineffective hasn’t stopped governments from implementing them. It’s a low hanging fruit like mask mandates where any mask will be in compliance. When you have a minority screeching to do something some governments might choose to give in just to give the appearance of doing something. Of course it’s something no one wants to see but it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest.

Last edited by sfgiants13; Jul 5, 2022 at 9:30 am
Old Jul 5, 2022, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Being ineffective hasn’t stopped governments from implementing them. It’s a low hanging fruit like mask mandates where any mask will be in compliance. When you have a minority screeching to do something some governments might choose to give in just to give the appearance of doing something. Of course it’s something no one wants to see but it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest.
True and this has been the origin of many restrictions in the first place. However, we're in a phase when most people accepted covid as a reality are no longer making people out of it. Support, let alone demand, for new measures is very low in many parts of Europe so I don't expect to see this effect again, except in southern Europe, DE, AT and FR.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Here is the latest IATA map showing the state of Europe+. Grey means there are no entry restrictions. Germany is grey for anyone not arriving from China. Slovakia are holding out in eastern Europe, however in practice they are not checking anything from what I have seen.

Nayef likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:56 am

Will be an interesting comparison in say September or October. Thankfully it seems countries are still loosening.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cyprus restores mask mandates today ca 1 month after binning them

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...em-2022-07-06/

Beaches are very crowded in CY this year, mask mandates in crowded outdoor areas should also be reintroduced

Cases are 'skyrocketing' in Nice, FR and the city has brought back mask mandates on public transport from this coming Monday.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/city-nice-returns-masks-transport-101611740.html
largeeyes and nk15 like this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 3:04 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
As long as people can freely dine indoors without masks, mandating masks anywhere else defies logic.

Not that logic has ever stopped any government from instituting measures in the past couple of years.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 9:35 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I did a Europe trip a few weeks ago.

- Frankfurt, Germany: Masking required on inbound and outbound flights and was enforced pretty strongly. Masking was also required on public transit and I'd say at least 80% of people were doing it. Dining and touring felt really normal though. I'd previously been to Germany in April and it felt more normal this time.
- Florence, Italy: No masking anywhere, no need for vaccine passports or anything. It felt so delightfully normal.
- Geneva, Switzerland: Very similar to Florence though I did see more people wearing masks and evidence of places that still had outdoor seating that wouldn't have had it pre-2020

This was my fourth Europe trip since March, 2020 and minus Frankfurt felt the most normal. I can't wait to come back.
hugolover, kirkwoodj and wooootles like this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Is there a country by country list of current Covid masking requirements in Europe — masking required on flights, masking required indoors, masking required on public transport, etc.?

If not, anyone know the current rules in the U.K., Finland, France, Hungary, and/or Czech Republic?

Looking at different flight options, but I don't want to mess up and book flights requiring masks. Thanks.
LETTERBOY and volabam like this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 2:39 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by js1993
Is there a country by country list of current Covid masking requirements in Europe — masking required on flights, masking required indoors, masking required on public transport, etc.?

If not, anyone know the current rules in the U.K., Finland, France, Hungary, and/or Czech Republic?

Looking at different flight options, but I don't want to mess up and book flights requiring masks. Thanks.
The wiki page at the top of this thread may help. There is also a thread on the BA forum that shows where masks are required. And BA's advice is here:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...irus/steps-123
volabam and js1993 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm in Finland right now. The only people wearing masks on the Finnair flight were a few Japanese people. No FAs or staff were wearing masks. No masks required in the airport, though a few people were wearing them (5% or less).

I saw a couple of lost-looking American tourists wearing masks outside; other than that I haven't seen anyone wearing a mask anywhere in the city (Helsinki), indoors or out, and that includes staff at the hotel and at restaurants. I haven't taken public transit. I took a cab from the airport and there was a plexiglass divider but my driver was not wearing a mask.
84fiero, volabam and js1993 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador

No mask rules in UK, Finland, Hungary or Czechia. Not sure about France.
LETTERBOY, volabam and js1993 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.