Old Feb 24, 2022, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyingfkb
All internal restrictions removed:
  • Belgium - No border restrictions (per IATA, no restrictions; per Belgian government, "This does not apply to travelers coming from a country with a new variant of concern.").
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina - No border restrictions.
  • Bulgaria - No border restrictions.
  • Denmark - No border restrictions.
  • Croatia - No border restrictions.
  • Czech Republic - No border restrictions.
  • England - No border restrictions.
  • Estonia - No border restrictions.
  • Finland - No border restrictions.
  • France - Some border restrictions remain for non-vaccinated pax coming from some non-EU countries. Masks required on some public transport (Nice).
  • Germany - No border restrictions.
  • Greece - No border restrictions. ​
  • Hungary - No border restrictions.
  • Iceland - No border restrictions.
  • Ireland - No border restrictions.
  • Kosovo - No border restrictions.
  • Latvia - No border restrictions.
  • Malta - No border restrictions.
  • Moldova - No border restrictions.
  • Netherlands - Some border restrictions remain for non-EU arrivals.
  • Norway - No border restrictions.
  • North Macedonia - No border restrictions.
  • Poland - No border restrictions.
  • Portugal, Madeira and Porto Santo - no border restrictions (excludes Azores)
  • Romania - No border restrictions.
  • Scotland - No border restrictions.
  • Serbia - No border restrictions.
  • Slovakia - No border restrictions.
  • Slovenia - No border restrictions.
  • Sweden - No border restrictions.
  • Switzerland - No border restrictions.
  • Turkey - No border restrictions.
  • Wales - No border restrictions.
Internal restrictions generally removed, but masks still needed in some situations:
  • Austria - No border restrictions. Masks required in Vienna.
  • Cyprus (excluding TRNC) - No border restrictions. Masks needed on public transport.
  • Italy - No border restrictions. Face mask rules extended to 30 September on public transport and indoor settings.
  • Lithuania - No border restrictions but masks required on public transport.
​​​Note that the list excludes any restrictions that may exist in health care and social care, as these are generally irrelevant for tourists.

European airlines not requiring masks on board:
  • Network-wide: Norwegian, Czech Airlines, Smartwings, Flyr, Widerře, BRA, TAP, Brussels Airlines
  • On some routes:
    • airBaltic - Recommended on all flights, but only required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. List not available.
    • Air France - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. List not available.
    • Air Serbia
    • Austrian - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. List not available.
    • British Airways - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate - list available on BA's website
    • Croatia Airlines - Required to/from Germany
    • EasyJet - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate.
    • Finnair - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. Currently only TO Spain. List here: https://www.finnair.com/fi-en/flight...lights-2364672
    • Icelandair - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate: Paris, Germany and Canada
    • KLM - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate, list not available.
    • LOT - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate extending to foreign planes. List not available.
    • SAS - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate extending to foreign planes: Flights to/from Italy and China.
    • Swiss - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate - list available on Swiss website.
    • Wizz Air - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate, list not available.
Print Wikipost

Europe reopening 2022 -

Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:29 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by theplayer
That's what I thought, but even if connection is with same airline? Flying Iberia Bos-Mad on 1 ticket, Mad-Cdg on separate ticket 3 hours later. Will just get a test the day before.
I mean you can try but they are entirely within their right to deny you boarding if you don't meet entry requirements to Spain. And good luck arguing what Timatic correctly says with a contract agent in Boston.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by js1993
Except in Germany, and Spain, and The Netherlands ... and, until last week, France.

But I'm happy to hear that. For a while, it seemed like Covid rules really were going to be the dreaded "new normal."
What restrictions does Netherlands have? I was actually planning a trip there assuming it's 100% normal (at least for intra-EU travel), so I'm a bit surprised and now unsure whether I should go ahead with booking the trip.

Germany is a bit extremist when it comes to COVID, I don't see myself going there anytime soon (if I'm lucky, I will be able to check out BER before my status expires in 12/2023). But I'm quite happy with central Europe, Scandinavia, Benelux and the UK and I'm fairly confident they won't go crazy again. I still hope that Portugal will get normal by winter as I usually go there in January, but I'm not holding my breath.
LETTERBOY and volabam like this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:37 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by the810
What restrictions does Netherlands have? .
NL only has restrictions for entering from outside Schengen. A colleague from the US was unable to meet me there a couple of weeks back when he had no documents at check in. Everything is quite normal there from what I saw. The only people wearing masks were the German tourists...
the810, volabam and Deckter like this.

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 9, 2022 at 7:29 am
Old Aug 8, 2022, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by DaveS
These are the headlines from that article.

I thought most of that was already required in Germany.
It's a proposal, it hasn't been approved (and has to be) The last time stronger restrictions were not approved.

And let's not assume all Germans are like the ones who have been very loud on FT the last few years. It's to the point that I had to stop posting because real life doesn't match what a few would have you believe.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 3:58 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I can assure you that the rules in Spain are ridiculous. Masking is mostly followed on crowded trains, but often ignored when there are fewer. On Madrid metro most people will remove their mask immediately upon getting off the train as the rule is only on the transport itself. Similarly in the airport you don't have to mask but as soon as you step on the plane you do. Also the type of mask isn't regulated in Spain so it's a complete farce of theater since people wear poor fitting cloth masks.
LETTERBOY, volabam and js1993 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 7:33 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Moderator note:

I just removed dozens of posts that were off-topic for this thread and largely of a political nature.

This thread is for the purpose of helping travelers to know what is required in countries throughout Europe. It’s not for arguing your opinions, namecalling and sharing your politics. Such posts only make it difficult for people to find information.

Please stick to factual information about requirements in each country.

l etoile
ExpatExp, JPG3392, DaveS and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
the type of mask isn't regulated in Spain so it's a complete farce of theater since people wear poor fitting cloth masks.
Also in Germany it appears the type of mask is fairly loosely mandated, according to Deutsche Bahn only a (medical or surgical) "mouth and nose protection" is required.
https://www.bahn.de/info/corona_startseite_bahnde
Old Aug 10, 2022, 5:48 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Germany is a bit extremist when it comes to COVID, I don't see myself going there anytime soon (if I'm lucky, I will be able to check out BER before my status expires in 12/2023).
From my experience of visiting Munich last month, I think most of your fears are unfounded. Yes, Germany requires masks to be worn on public transport, but (whatever the regulations say about FFP2) a very large number of people wear surgical masks and I didn't see any objections through the many hours I spent on the Bahn network. Where mask wearing was legally required, the level of compliance was extremely high, so you'd probably be best advised to follow suit to avoid any misunderstandings.

However, outside a public transport setting life is absolutely normal, people aren't masked up in the street, or in the shops, or in pubs, or at events. When I was there Munich Pride was taking place, and I also attended a medieval fair about 30km outside the city. I really don't recall seeing anyone wearing a mask at those events - where you're talking about coming into contact with perhaps 100,000 people in total.

The restrictions are very, very minor and short-lived in the scheme of things compared to the number of hours in a day, and they're certainly not enough to persuade me that Germany doesn't have an awful lot going for it - including 9 Euro tickets for a month on public transport.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Is there a site that tracks Covid restrictions such as “mask use required in indoor public areas” and that sort of thing on a country by country basis in Europe? Trying to plan a relatively last-minute trip to Europe after my schedule opened up, and was surprised to see a “mask use required indoors as of 02.08” notice pop up on a reservation in Sofia, Bulgaria, which apparently didn’t have any such rules as of late July.

Are people seeing or expecting a similar trend across Europe for the fall? [Moderator edit. See note below]. Thanks.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Aug 15, 2022 at 8:24 am Reason: Off topic for this thread per post 456 above.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 1:27 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
Is there a site that tracks Covid restrictions such as “mask use required in indoor public areas” and that sort of thing on a country by country basis in Europe? Trying to plan a relatively last-minute trip to Europe after my schedule opened up, and was surprised to see a “mask use required indoors as of 02.08” notice pop up on a reservation in Sofia, Bulgaria, which apparently didn’t have any such rules as of late July.

Are people seeing or expecting a similar trend across Europe for the fall? [Conforming Moderator edit; see post above.]. Thanks.
Delving into Tripadvisor forums will help. Asking here too. For Bulgaria there is some information here. However, probably the best source is Kayak:

https://www.kayak.co.uk/travel-restrictions?

As for what happens later in the year, no one really knows. I think there are going to be more pressing issues for most countries to deal with. You could look back through this thread and see which countries were the slowest to remove restrictions. They may be the most likely to reintroduce them.
js1993 likes this.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Aug 15, 2022 at 8:26 am Reason: Conforming Moderator edit.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 1:31 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by DaveS
Delving into Tripadvisor forums will help. Asking here too. For Bulgaria there is some information here

As for what happens later in the year, no one really knows. I think there are going to be more pressing issues for most countries to deal with.
Thanks. I used to check a blog-type site that listed all changes/updates chronologically but I can't seem to remember the name/URL. Kayak has good country by country info. but not sure how quickly they update it. Wish the country pages had an "as of" or "last updated" date.

[mod edit] Worst case, I spend more time in places like Sweden, but I can't believe these rules are making a comeback — or even being proposed — without riots.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 15, 2022 at 7:53 am Reason: Redacted OT comment
Old Aug 14, 2022, 4:04 pm

Are people seeing or expecting a similar trend across Europe for the fall? [Conforming Moderator edit.] Thanks.
I think it's inevitable that some European countries will bring back masks later this year.

There are some countries where masks are very unlikely to return: Denmark, Norway, the UK, Hungary (and Sweden of course).
I'd say the Netherlands, Switzerland and Ireland are fairly unlikely to bring back masks also.

At the other end of the spectrum Germany have pretty much said that masks will be mandatory in more situations from October. Austria and Italy are quite likely to bring back mask rules too. Spain, Portugal and Greece are also strong possibilities.
​​​​​
They're just my guesses based on how quickly mask restrictions in those countries were eased and their governments' general attitude to Covid restrictions.
northinsouth and js1993 like this.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Aug 15, 2022 at 8:27 am Reason: See posts above on previous page.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I was in Sofia a couple of weeks ago - hardly any masks were seen anywhere. In the countryside, we were asked to put on a mask at a restaurant from door to table.
LETTERBOY and js1993 like this.

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Aug 15, 2022 at 8:43 am
Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by VG31
There are some countries where masks are very unlikely to return: Denmark, Norway, the UK, Hungary (and Sweden of course).
I'd say the Netherlands, Switzerland and Ireland are fairly unlikely to bring back masks also.
Central Europe should be safe as a whole - health authorities both Slovakia and Czechia already claimed they don't expect any new restrictions, and the attitude in Poland is similar.

Regarding Austria, we'll see. The plan was to reintroduced masks from September but with the current numbers, I don't see how could authorities go for stricter measures than what applies now. If anything, I expect Vienna to catch up and drop masks soon.
LETTERBOY, VG31 and js1993 like this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 12:59 pm

Central Europe should be safe as a whole - health authorities both Slovakia and Czechia already claimed they don't expect any new restrictions, and the attitude in Poland is similar.

Regarding Austria, we'll see. The plan was to reintroduced masks from September but with the current numbers, I don't see how could authorities go for stricter measures than what applies now. If anything, I expect Vienna to catch up and drop masks soon.
Thanks. Masks are still required indoors in Austria?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.