Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Europe reopening 2022

Europe reopening 2022

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 23, 22, 5:41 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: DaveS
Wiki Link
As of Thursday, 23rd June 2022:

All internal restrictions removed:
  • Belgium - No border restrictions (per IATA, no restrictions; per Belgian government, "This does not apply to travelers coming from a country with a new variant of concern.").
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina - No border restrictions.
  • Bulgaria - No border restrictions.
  • Denmark - No border restrictions.
  • Croatia - No border restrictions.
  • Czech Republic - No border restrictions.
  • England - No border restrictions.
  • Estonia - No border restrictions.
  • Finland - No border restrictions from 1st July
  • France - Some border restrictions remain for non-vaccinated pax coming from some non-EU countries.
  • Greece - No border restrictions.
  • Hungary - No border restrictions.
  • Iceland - No border restrictions.
  • Ireland - No border restrictions.
  • Kosovo - No border restrictions.
  • Latvia - No border restrictions.
  • Moldova - No border restrictions.
  • Netherlands - Some border restrictions remain for non-EU arrivals.
  • Norway - No border restrictions.
  • North Macedonia - No border restrictions.
  • Poland - No border restrictions.
  • Romania - No border restrictions.
  • Scotland - No border restrictions.
  • Serbia - No border restrictions.
  • Slovakia - No border restrictions.
  • Slovenia - No border restrictions.
  • Sweden - No border restrictions.
  • Switzerland - No border restrictions.
  • Turkey - No border restrictions.
  • Wales - No border restrictions.
Internal restrictions generally removed, but masks still needed in some situations:
  • Austria - No border restrictions. Masks required in Vienna.
  • Cyprus (excluding TRNC) - No border restrictions. Masks needed on public transport.
  • Italy - No border restrictions. Face mask rules extended to 30 September on public transport.
  • Germany - No border restrictions. Masks required on public transport and stations.
  • Lithuania - No border restrictions but masks required on public transport.
​​​Note that the list excludes any restrictions that may exist in health care and social care, as these are generally irrelevant for tourists.

European airlines not requiring masks on board:
  • Network-wide: Norwegian, Czech Airlines, Smartwings, Flyr, WiderÝe, BRA
  • On some routes:
    • airBaltic - Recommended on all flights, but only required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. List not available.
    • Air France - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. List not available.
    • Air Serbia
    • Austrian - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. List not available.
    • British Airways - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate - list available on BA's website
    • EasyJet - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. This currently includes all destinations except England, Northern Ireland, Jersey, Isle of Man, Denmark, Sweden, Gibraltar, Hungary, Poland, Switzerland and Iceland.
    • Finnair - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. List here: https://www.finnair.com/fi-en/flight...lights-2364672
    • Icelandair - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate: Paris, Germany and Canada
    • Jet2 - Required on flights to/from Scotland
    • KLM - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate, list not available.
    • LOT - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate extending to foreign planes. List not available.
    • SAS - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate extending to foreign planes: Flights to/from Italy and China.
    • Swiss - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate - list available on Swiss website.
    • Tui UK and NL - masks required on flights to/from Scotland
    • Wizz Air - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate, list not available.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 3, 22, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBG / *A Gold, Radisson Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Europe reopening 2022

Now that more and more European countries are reopening, I thought it may be useful to have a thread with an overview of countries that are back to usual - both in terms of domestic restrictions and border restrictions - so that it's easier to determine where to go on our next trips.

In Scandinavia:
  • Denmark has removed all restrictions, apart from some measures in health care and social care. At the border, there is a requirement for non-vaccinated non-recovered travellers to get tested within 24 hours of arrival (I believe these tests are paid by the government), set to be removed from 1st of March. There is also a quarantine on arrival from a small number of high-risk countries, also set to be removed from 1st of March. COVID is no longer classified as a dangerous disease by Danish authorities.
  • Sweden has announced that all restrictions will be removed from 9th of February, except the advice to isolate yourself in case of illness, which will remain for a little longer. It is unclear whether this also covers the border - on one hand they said they are removing all restrictions but at the same time it's not included in the list of removed restrictions I found in some media (could be just poor job by the media). EDIT: Border regulations will not be removed right now (but they are fairly light anyway). Like in Denmark, Swedish Public Health Agency has submitted a request to government to remove covid-19 from the list of dangerous diseases.
  • Finland is set to fully reopen from the begging of the next month at latest. Iceland also indicated plans to remove restrictions, likely by mid-March.
  • Norway is doing staged reopening with only minor changes so far, but it's progressing quickly, so hopefully they should follow the rest of Nordics soon.

I don't follow the rest of Europe very much so feel free to post what's happening there

Last edited by the810; Feb 3, 22 at 3:47 am
Old Feb 3, 22, 4:27 am

"Vaccine passport" program for amenities such as restaurants/bars, hotels, other leisure activities EXCEPT large events is scheduled to be ended in Czechia after next Wednesday, 9 Feb.
Old Feb 3, 22, 4:51 am

Considering 1 out of 20 people in Denmark were infected last week, I'd say they just simply gave up.
jakeller and mpkz like this.
Old Feb 3, 22, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by the810 View Post
  • Sweden has announced that all restrictions will be removed from 9th of February, except the advice to isolate yourself in case of illness, which will remain for a little longer. ...
That should have been the only advice the entire time. Better late than never I guess. If you're sick, stay at home. Everyone else goes about their day as normal.

Last edited by stupidhead; Feb 3, 22 at 8:06 am
Old Feb 4, 22, 4:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Platinum, IHG Platinum, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by largeeyes View Post
Considering 1 out of 20 people in Denmark were infected last week, I'd say they just simply gave up.
It's quite obvious now that no matter how many vaccines and boosters you get the infection rate is till high, look at Israel and even some other countries with high vaccine rates. I think the smart thing to do is what Denmark is doing because no matter how much they tried look at what is happening. The virus is winning even in Japan who dropped down to almost zero and was the recent poster child, and now they're back off the charts. I think what Denmark has said, it's not a public health crisis anymore because the hospitalizations are down, and I think that's the number all countries need to look at instead of the testing/case numbers.
Tim_T, JNelson113, tai4de2 and 9 others like this.
Old Feb 4, 22, 8:32 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Ultimate
I can only recommend this site:
https://reopen.europa.eu/en/
Old Feb 4, 22, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
France expects to end the vaccine pass this summer and some mask requirements sooner. Also the US and many other "RED" countries are now "ORANGE".

https://www.lefigaro.fr/voyages/cons...rlate-20220204

https://www.france24.com/en/france/2...ed-before-july
JNelson113 and SeeMeFly like this.
Old Feb 4, 22, 5:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Itís kind of amazing how fast restrictions are going away. The dominos started to fall with the UK and itís been rapid fire since. Even last summer when cases were low in most places there wasnít anything close to this kind of talk.

maybe this summer will be it and most countries will fully open. My big worry is some governments will freak out once cases inevitably start to rise again.
Old Feb 4, 22, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by sfgiants13 View Post
It’s kind of amazing how fast restrictions are going away. The dominos started to fall with the UK and it’s been rapid fire since. Even last summer when cases were low in most places there wasn’t anything close to this kind of talk.

maybe this summer will be it and most countries will fully open. My big worry is some governments will freak out once cases inevitably start to rise again.
No people are realizing, a bit too late, that the restrictions didn't do any good in the first place. And cases may rise, but as long as hospitals are not overwhelmed, let the cases rise.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lockdowns.html

Not to mention the overly negative impact on people with lower income...
Old Feb 4, 22, 6:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I've felt like Europe's been open in 2021 already. That there are rules to run around or do things is not my idea of a country not being "open" to me.

Cases have already risen to peak records in recent weeks even in some European countries that have been "opening" up more or signalling that they will be "opening" up more later this month or quarter.
QT31415 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 22, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by the810 View Post

In Scandinavia:
  • Norway is doing staged reopening with only minor changes so far, but it's progressing quickly, so hopefully they should follow the rest of Nordics soon.

I don't follow the rest of Europe very much so feel free to post what's happening there
This isnít correct for Norway and wasnít when you posted it either. Practically all restrictions gone in Norway incl border testing as of Feb 1st. Mask requirement if you cannot keep 1m on public transport and all restaurants need to keep 1m apart. That said, most appear to be flaunting that rule. So basically night clubs only thing which havenít fully opened.
Old Feb 5, 22, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBG / *A Gold, Radisson Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer View Post
This isnít correct for Norway and wasnít when you posted it either. Practically all restrictions gone in Norway incl border testing as of Feb 1st. Mask requirement if you cannot keep 1m on public transport and all restaurants need to keep 1m apart. That said, most appear to be flaunting that rule. So basically night clubs only thing which havenít fully opened.
Thanks. It still seems rather strict to me compared to SE / DK, but I understand that's a matter of perspective (and perhaps which restrictions matter to you more). In any case, thank you for the overview.
Old Feb 5, 22, 9:57 am

Programs: AS 100K, SK, UR, MR
Originally Posted by largeeyes View Post
Throughout the pandemic one in four residents in Denmark have been infected by Covid. But 70% of those took place within the last two months at a time when 80% of the eligible population was already fully vaccinated.

It can be added that Denmark has been testing extensively, increasing the positivity rate and as such aligning closer to what itís really like out there.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 5, 22, 10:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
No people are realizing, a bit too late, that the restrictions didn't do any good in the first place. And cases may rise, but as long as hospitals are not overwhelmed, let the cases rise.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lockdowns.html

Not to mention the overly negative impact on people with lower income...
I agree 100%. But some places are hellbent on keeping restrictions that donít do a thing.

No matter the reasoning glad restrictions are going away.
Old Feb 5, 22, 11:21 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by YYCCL3 View Post
"Vaccine passport" program for amenities such as restaurants/bars, hotels, other leisure activities EXCEPT large events is scheduled to be ended in Czechia after next Wednesday, 9 Feb.
From the UK FCDO (I assume the same for all countries):

Additional requirements for entry to Slovakia by air

• All air passengers must complete the Slovak government’s Passenger Locator Form, in addition to the eHranica form. You should carry a printed confirmation with you to show airline or border officials
  • From 4 February, you no longer need to show a negative PCR test result if you arrive by air from the UK. However, if you arrive from a country not listed in Annex 1 of the relevant Slovak decree, you must also be able to show a negative PCR test result no older than 72 hours, regardless of your vaccination status. Children under 12 years and 2 months do not need to show a negative PCR test result
Annex 1 from what I can see excludes Africa, South America and parts of Asia. I think all places that have no direct flights to Slovakia anyway.
the810 likes this.

Search this Thread