Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2022, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyingfkb
All internal restrictions removed:
  • Belgium - No border restrictions (per IATA, no restrictions; per Belgian government, "This does not apply to travelers coming from a country with a new variant of concern.").
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina - No border restrictions.
  • Bulgaria - No border restrictions.
  • Denmark - No border restrictions.
  • Croatia - No border restrictions.
  • Czech Republic - No border restrictions.
  • England - No border restrictions.
  • Estonia - No border restrictions.
  • Finland - No border restrictions.
  • France - Some border restrictions remain for non-vaccinated pax coming from some non-EU countries. Masks required on some public transport (Nice).
  • Germany - No border restrictions.
  • Greece - No border restrictions. ​
  • Hungary - No border restrictions.
  • Iceland - No border restrictions.
  • Ireland - No border restrictions.
  • Kosovo - No border restrictions.
  • Latvia - No border restrictions.
  • Malta - No border restrictions.
  • Moldova - No border restrictions.
  • Netherlands - Some border restrictions remain for non-EU arrivals.
  • Norway - No border restrictions.
  • North Macedonia - No border restrictions.
  • Poland - No border restrictions.
  • Portugal, Madeira and Porto Santo - no border restrictions (excludes Azores)
  • Romania - No border restrictions.
  • Scotland - No border restrictions.
  • Serbia - No border restrictions.
  • Slovakia - No border restrictions.
  • Slovenia - No border restrictions.
  • Sweden - No border restrictions.
  • Switzerland - No border restrictions.
  • Turkey - No border restrictions.
  • Wales - No border restrictions.
Internal restrictions generally removed, but masks still needed in some situations:
  • Austria - No border restrictions. Masks required in Vienna.
  • Cyprus (excluding TRNC) - No border restrictions. Masks needed on public transport.
  • Italy - No border restrictions. Face mask rules extended to 30 September on public transport and indoor settings.
  • Lithuania - No border restrictions but masks required on public transport.
​​​Note that the list excludes any restrictions that may exist in health care and social care, as these are generally irrelevant for tourists.

European airlines not requiring masks on board:
  • Network-wide: Norwegian, Czech Airlines, Smartwings, Flyr, Widerøe, BRA, TAP, Brussels Airlines
  • On some routes:
    • airBaltic - Recommended on all flights, but only required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. List not available.
    • Air France - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. List not available.
    • Air Serbia
    • Austrian - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. List not available.
    • British Airways - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate - list available on BA's website
    • Croatia Airlines - Required to/from Germany
    • EasyJet - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate.
    • Finnair - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. Currently only TO Spain. List here: https://www.finnair.com/fi-en/flight...lights-2364672
    • Icelandair - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate: Paris, Germany and Canada
    • KLM - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate, list not available.
    • LOT - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate extending to foreign planes. List not available.
    • SAS - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate extending to foreign planes: Flights to/from Italy and China.
    • Swiss - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate - list available on Swiss website.
    • Wizz Air - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate, list not available.
Print Wikipost

Europe reopening 2022 -

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2022, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by js1993
Thanks. Masks are still required indoors in Austria?
Currently only required in Vienna (public transportation + essential shops), the rest of Austria is currently mask-free. The original idea was to reintroduce them in September, but I don't find it very likely since the situation remains stable.

It is also worth mentioning that Vienna Airport is not in Vienna, so OS flights are mask-free.
LETTERBOY and js1993 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by the810
Currently only required in Vienna (public transportation + essential shops), the rest of Austria is currently mask-free
There are a significant number of German tourists who are still wearing masks in Austria when they go shopping.

The original idea was to reintroduce them in September, but I don't find it very likely since the situation remains stable.
I can't see it either, but for different reasons: there is a regional election on 25 September in Tirol, plus local elections in Burgenland on 2 October, then the (Austrian national) presidential election on 9 October.

Judging by the polling and the politicial posters I've seen, re-introducing any restrictions before mid-October at the earliest would pour a significant quantity of fuel onto an already well-burning fire.
the810 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 12:25 pm

Quick report from a AT-DE-UK journey (Innsbruck-Frankfurt-London) over the weekend.

Day 1: Innsbruck - Frankfurt
In Austria (at least outside Vienna) feels like Covid is a distant memory, the only place you see masked people is in hospitals and at doctors. We boarded the EuroCity train to Munich, some pax wore masks but less than 50%, got the feeling it was all the German tourists. Train crosses the AT/DE border at Kufstein/Kiefersfelden, at that point an announcement that masks were now required on the train, mask wearing went up to more or less 100% (unless you were eating or drinking, in which case no need for mask. We did quite a lot of eating and drinking). We changed trains at Munich central station, in the station concourse there were a lot of unmasked people, once on board the ICE to Frankfurt mask wearing back to 100%. Again, having F+B in front of you appeared to be a perfectly valid for removing your mask. In Frankfurt station, again lots of unmasked people.

Day 2: Frankfurt - London.
A very different situation, I didn't take my mask out of my bag at any point. Uber to the airport, driver not masked, mask hanging next to gear stick. At the airport, very very few people were masked (certainly not any of the airport staff or even the Bundespolizei), see photo. No announcements about masks. No masking at security or passport control. We had a bus gate (sigh), for the short bus ride to the aircraft somewhat strangely quite a lot of pax donned masks ("bus = Covid" now ingrained in German psyche?), but most of them took masks off when we reached the aircraft. Flew BA (Cityflyer) so no masks needed there, indeed the only mention of masks was a brief reminder during the safety demo that if the situation requires you to use the overhead oxygen masks you must remove any face mask first
Landed in in the UK and as has already been noted, another country where it's as if Covid never happened.

Old Aug 21, 2022, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL PM
Thanks for that report.

More than one month ago I did US-CPH-KEF, from start to finish it was entirely covid measure-free. Literally the only time I had to use a mask was at one stop in thingvellir where the winds were extremely high and cold at the time, I wore it just to keep my face warm!
84fiero likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I did LCY-Germany-Greece by plane a couple of weeks ago. No masks at all at LCY or the first flight (BA), 50% masked on the second flight (A3).
DaveS and js1993 like this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder how easy it would be for a tourist to get Paxlovid in Germany and Netherlands if COVID positive. Leaving for a trip soon and want to have some plans in case I get COVID on the trip. Thanks.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 12:13 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by username
I wonder how easy it would be for a tourist to get Paxlovid in Germany and Netherlands if COVID positive. Leaving for a trip soon and want to have some plans in case I get COVID on the trip. Thanks.
I'm not sure whether or not it's common for Paxlovid to be given routinely to Covid patients elsewhere in the world, but in Europe the EMA regards it as a treatment for those "who do not require supplemental oxygen and who are at increased risk of the disease becoming severe", which is most likely those who have an underlying condition that would put them at risk.

So if you have a clinical need for it, which hopefully you don't, then you're likely going to be prescribed it. But if you have mild symptoms and no other conditions, then obtaining it over the counter isn't going to be straightforward given the risk of mixing it with other medicines. If you're sufficiently concerned, it might be prudent to take a note from your own healthcare professional setting out that it's a suitable treatment for you.
kirkwoodj and DaveS like this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 1:04 pm

Second leg of our Europe trip, today we did London - Paris by Eurostar train. No Covid paperwork for the journey (France got rid of the entry checks on 1 August), very few pax wearing masks at any point during the journey.

84fiero, the810 and js1993 like this.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Aug 24, 2022 at 12:33 am Reason: Removal of OMNI/PR content
Old Aug 23, 2022, 10:49 pm

For background: At the start of the pandemic, the whole anti-mask social media and later politics was an English language phenomenon, whereas instead the German language social media bot-farms and fringe politicians were heavily anti-vax from the beginning. We just have to accept that the majority of Germans (and Italians, Spanish etc) see masks as just masks, without the politics that has become attached to face-masks in other countries. It looks like face masks will continue to be required on long distance transport (as well as hospitals and old peoples homes) in Germany until 7th April 2023, though this is still being worked out.

I think the best analogy about following the rules is they are like seatbelts on planes - everyone wears them when the FA is checking, some remove them after being checked but still being required, most don't wear them when not required, some wear them the entire time, and for some people (especially the over-weight) they are uncomfortable.

With the exception of wearing masks on some forms of public transport, you would not notice any difference in Germany, Spain and Italy to the pre-covid times. Everything else is normal, and covid barely even mentioned (in the news and normal life). These countries are 100% open....
largeeyes likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 7:25 am
formerly JackDann

Travelling from UK-Spain in 4 Weeks time - My understanding is that as I did not get a booster jab, I will be required to undertake an Antigen test before departure. Can anyone please provide any guidance on what sort of Antigen Tests these have to be, can I use the NHS ones etc?

Been a while since I had to consider these things!
Old Aug 24, 2022, 12:01 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by JD1905
Travelling from UK-Spain in 4 Weeks time - My understanding is that as I did not get a booster jab, I will be required to undertake an Antigen test before departure. Can anyone please provide any guidance on what sort of Antigen Tests these have to be, can I use the NHS ones etc?

Been a while since I had to consider these things!
If your last jab was less than 270 days ago you are OK. Otherwise the booster is needed. It was possible (though not strictly allowed) to use a NHS test with a certificate provided by a third party company like Klarity. Klarity do not use the NHS kits now but will send you a kit for £17.

https://klarity.health/tuk-about-our-tests/
Old Aug 24, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Germany just made it official: Masks until next April for travel.
largeeyes and nk15 like this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by js1993
Germany just made it official: Masks until next April for travel.
Further restrictions will be left up to the regions. And the requirement is specifically FFP2 masks.
nk15 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by largeeyes
Further restrictions will be left up to the regions. And the requirement is specifically FFP2 masks.
FFP2 masks from October onwards, apparently. Children between the ages of 6 and 14 are only required to wear a "medical mask", along with staff.
nk15 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 6:31 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
just made sure no plans for Germany anytime soon ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.