Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2022, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyingfkb
All internal restrictions removed:
  • Belgium - No border restrictions (per IATA, no restrictions; per Belgian government, "This does not apply to travelers coming from a country with a new variant of concern.").
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina - No border restrictions.
  • Bulgaria - No border restrictions.
  • Denmark - No border restrictions.
  • Croatia - No border restrictions.
  • Czech Republic - No border restrictions.
  • England - No border restrictions.
  • Estonia - No border restrictions.
  • Finland - No border restrictions.
  • France - Some border restrictions remain for non-vaccinated pax coming from some non-EU countries. Masks required on some public transport (Nice).
  • Germany - No border restrictions.
  • Greece - No border restrictions. ​
  • Hungary - No border restrictions.
  • Iceland - No border restrictions.
  • Ireland - No border restrictions.
  • Kosovo - No border restrictions.
  • Latvia - No border restrictions.
  • Malta - No border restrictions.
  • Moldova - No border restrictions.
  • Netherlands - Some border restrictions remain for non-EU arrivals.
  • Norway - No border restrictions.
  • North Macedonia - No border restrictions.
  • Poland - No border restrictions.
  • Portugal, Madeira and Porto Santo - no border restrictions (excludes Azores)
  • Romania - No border restrictions.
  • Scotland - No border restrictions.
  • Serbia - No border restrictions.
  • Slovakia - No border restrictions.
  • Slovenia - No border restrictions.
  • Sweden - No border restrictions.
  • Switzerland - No border restrictions.
  • Turkey - No border restrictions.
  • Wales - No border restrictions.
Internal restrictions generally removed, but masks still needed in some situations:
  • Austria - No border restrictions. Masks required in Vienna.
  • Cyprus (excluding TRNC) - No border restrictions. Masks needed on public transport.
  • Italy - No border restrictions. Face mask rules extended to 30 September on public transport and indoor settings.
  • Lithuania - No border restrictions but masks required on public transport.
​​​Note that the list excludes any restrictions that may exist in health care and social care, as these are generally irrelevant for tourists.

European airlines not requiring masks on board:
  • Network-wide: Norwegian, Czech Airlines, Smartwings, Flyr, Widerĝe, BRA, TAP, Brussels Airlines
  • On some routes:
    • airBaltic - Recommended on all flights, but only required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. List not available.
    • Air France - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. List not available.
    • Air Serbia
    • Austrian - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. List not available.
    • British Airways - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate - list available on BA's website
    • Croatia Airlines - Required to/from Germany
    • EasyJet - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate.
    • Finnair - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. Currently only TO Spain. List here: https://www.finnair.com/fi-en/flight...lights-2364672
    • Icelandair - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate: Paris, Germany and Canada
    • KLM - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate, list not available.
    • LOT - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate extending to foreign planes. List not available.
    • SAS - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate extending to foreign planes: Flights to/from Italy and China.
    • Swiss - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate - list available on Swiss website.
    • Wizz Air - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate, list not available.
Print Wikipost

Europe reopening 2022 -

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2023, 10:18 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
According to IATA, Greece has now removed restrictions on arrivals from China. Türkiye did the same last week along with much of Eastern Europe.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 5:40 am

And now it is the turn of Iceland which has removed all restrictions today.
ExpatExp and volabam like this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 4:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DaveS
And now it is the turn of Iceland which has removed all restrictions today.
Iceland still had restrictions?
Old Feb 26, 2023, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by sfgiants13
Iceland still had restrictions?
TBH I do not recall, but IATA says they were lifted yesterday so there must have been something.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 9:43 am

Programs: EuroBonus, FlyingBlue Gold
Greece will very soon remove masking in public transport. I guess Cyprus will follow and make Europe fully open in terms of travel restrictions and other mandates.

https://news.gtp.gr/2023/03/14/covid...lic-transport/
the810 and volabam like this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 10:29 am

I'll be in Athens in a month...I wonder what their definition of "soon" is.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 11:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by t325
I'll be in Athens in a month...I wonder what their definition of "soon" is.
If the last 3 years is anything to go by I’m going to guess 2 weeks just to make sure the spread is sufficiently slowed.

In all seriousness I don’t think it’ll be long. Heck even Korea dropped them on transit. I bet now that it’s been announced masks will slowly start coming off before the official date but then again I’m not sure what compliance is like now.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 12:49 am

This is the current state of Europe according to IATA. Aside from Russia & Ukraine, the restrictions are solely aimed at China. Grey means no entry restrictions.

Old Mar 27, 2023, 1:25 am

Programs: DL PM
Funny story, I was in Prague a few days ago. It was a bit chilly early in the day, and I always carry around a cloth mask to blunt the cool winds (worked well in windy Iceland, for example). I was wearing it at the time when some guy comes up to me in a tram stop, asking why I was still wearing a mask, then talked about how proud he was unvaccinated. This guy didn’t look like a bum either.

For the record, in 3 years of covid in the USA, not once in the history of ever did I get hassled by anyone in public. It had to happen in Europe

and I didn’t argue with the guy or anything, because in the end I don’t give a crap anymore.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 2:31 am

Programs: EuroBonus, FlyingBlue Gold
Masks are no longer required on public transport in Greece

https://www.ekathimerini.com/news/12...-transport/amp

with the exception of Cyprus, masks are no longer required in any public setting outside of healthcare in all of Europe.

I guess we can say that Europe is open and back to how it was pre-pandemic.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 4:20 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by NLNO
Masks are no longer required on public transport in Greece

https://www.ekathimerini.com/news/12...-transport/amp

with the exception of Cyprus, masks are no longer required in any public setting outside of healthcare in all of Europe.

I guess we can say that Europe is open and back to how it was pre-pandemic.
I've just returned from Thessaloniki, and as of this morning the electronic signs on the bus stops still hadn't been updated to reflect this, so whether it's official or not is difficult to tell.

That said, it will come as no surprise if I say that even when I arrived on 25th compliance was close to non-existent - I'd say well in excess of 90% of people weren't bothering, and there was no enforcement. When you even give a steer towards a restriction being removed, that tends to be the natural effect as enforcing the law effectively becomes impossible.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Mar 28, 2023 at 11:15 pm
Old Jun 10, 2023, 2:10 pm

It's an oldish thread I know, but Spain came to their senses tow days ago which means Europe (excluding Russia & Ukraine) is now completely open for the first time since the start of the pandemic.

wooootles and northinsouth like this.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 2:22 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
What rules did Spain still have?
Old Jun 10, 2023, 3:28 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by js1993
What rules did Spain still have?
Flights from China. I think they’d had to show proof of vaccination among other things.
SPN Lifer and DaveS like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.