Old Feb 24, 2022, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyingfkb
All internal restrictions removed:
  • Belgium - No border restrictions (per IATA, no restrictions; per Belgian government, "This does not apply to travelers coming from a country with a new variant of concern.").
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina - No border restrictions.
  • Bulgaria - No border restrictions.
  • Denmark - No border restrictions.
  • Croatia - No border restrictions.
  • Czech Republic - No border restrictions.
  • England - No border restrictions.
  • Estonia - No border restrictions.
  • Finland - No border restrictions.
  • France - Some border restrictions remain for non-vaccinated pax coming from some non-EU countries. Masks required on some public transport (Nice).
  • Germany - No border restrictions.
  • Greece - No border restrictions. ​
  • Hungary - No border restrictions.
  • Iceland - No border restrictions.
  • Ireland - No border restrictions.
  • Kosovo - No border restrictions.
  • Latvia - No border restrictions.
  • Malta - No border restrictions.
  • Moldova - No border restrictions.
  • Netherlands - Some border restrictions remain for non-EU arrivals.
  • Norway - No border restrictions.
  • North Macedonia - No border restrictions.
  • Poland - No border restrictions.
  • Portugal, Madeira and Porto Santo - no border restrictions (excludes Azores)
  • Romania - No border restrictions.
  • Scotland - No border restrictions.
  • Serbia - No border restrictions.
  • Slovakia - No border restrictions.
  • Slovenia - No border restrictions.
  • Sweden - No border restrictions.
  • Switzerland - No border restrictions.
  • Turkey - No border restrictions.
  • Wales - No border restrictions.
Internal restrictions generally removed, but masks still needed in some situations:
  • Austria - No border restrictions. Masks required in Vienna.
  • Cyprus (excluding TRNC) - No border restrictions. Masks needed on public transport.
  • Italy - No border restrictions. Face mask rules extended to 30 September on public transport and indoor settings.
  • Lithuania - No border restrictions but masks required on public transport.
​​​Note that the list excludes any restrictions that may exist in health care and social care, as these are generally irrelevant for tourists.

European airlines not requiring masks on board:
  • Network-wide: Norwegian, Czech Airlines, Smartwings, Flyr, Widere, BRA, TAP, Brussels Airlines
  • On some routes:
    • airBaltic - Recommended on all flights, but only required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. List not available.
    • Air France - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. List not available.
    • Air Serbia
    • Austrian - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. List not available.
    • British Airways - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate - list available on BA's website
    • Croatia Airlines - Required to/from Germany
    • EasyJet - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate.
    • Finnair - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. Currently only TO Spain. List here: https://www.finnair.com/fi-en/flight...lights-2364672
    • Icelandair - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate: Paris, Germany and Canada
    • KLM - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate, list not available.
    • LOT - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate extending to foreign planes. List not available.
    • SAS - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate extending to foreign planes: Flights to/from Italy and China.
    • Swiss - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate - list available on Swiss website.
    • Wizz Air - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate, list not available.
Print Wikipost

Europe reopening 2022 -

Old Jun 3, 2022, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by DaveS
The foreign ministry web page is rather unclear which is likely the cause of the current confusion
Yup, the current (3 June) text in the first blue box at https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/f...irus-faqs.html page is, quite simply, appallingly written.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by shorthauldad

OT but who is behind schengenvisainfo.com? Their About Us and Imprint pages don't really reveal much...
As I understand it's mostly Albanians who gather and repost news from various sites; it isn't something to be relied on as an authoritative source.
kirkwoodj and 36902BRF like this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 2:41 am

According to IATA, Spain has removed entry requirements for all passengers arriving from EU/EEA.

Also, Germany is again light blue for some reason. Have they removed restrictions at all? Their ministry website says they haven't.

Last edited by InspektorVI; Jun 4, 2022 at 3:00 am Reason: to avoid double post
Old Jun 4, 2022, 4:16 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by InspektorVI
According to IATA, Spain has removed entry requirements for all passengers arriving from EU/EEA.

Also, Germany is again light blue for some reason. Have they removed restrictions at all? Their ministry website says they haven't.
For Germany, this is the (latest) official position:
The Federal Government has agreed to amend the Ordinance on Coronavirus Entry Regulations (Coronavirus-Einreiseverordnung). As of 1 June 2022, most travellers entering Germany no longer have to show that they have been vaccinated against COVID-19, have recovered from COVID-19 or have tested negative for COVID-19. However, travellers entering from virus variant areas still have to show that they have been vaccinated, have recovered or have tested negative for the virus. This requirement may apply to travellers entering from other countries outside the EU as well. Until further notice, travellers from many non-EU countries who enter Germany still have to show that they are fully vaccinated. This requirement may be waived if the journey is urgent.

Further details of the new rules will be available here soon. We ask for your patience until then.
My reading is that the German government has no idea what the rules are and are arguing amongst themselves!

https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/f...irus-faqs.html
gojko88 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by DaveS
For Germany, this is the (latest) official position:

My reading is that the German government has no idea what the rules are and are arguing amongst themselves!

https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/f...irus-faqs.html
This definitely clashes with the official IATA/TIMATIC guidelines. Though from the sounds of it, seems like when someone gets to Germany they won't, in practice, check anything (hell, they didn't ask me for anything when I got there). But the airlines will still make it a hassle.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by InspektorVI

how to upload ba docs?
Old Jun 7, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL PM
https://thepointsguy.com/news/german...-travel-rules/

Well, now TPG is saying Germany has officially dropped the COVID rules now. The only thing staying is masks on public transport.

I need to make plans
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 4:51 am

The Points Guy is so June 1. Despite previous public announcements by the ministry of health and voting by the cabinet about the anticipated June 1 dropping of the Covid rules, the rules were only dropped for one or two days. United and Lufthansa travel site (per IATA), the German bund, and the US State Department sites all showed that relaxation as of June 1. Now, without any announcement, all that has been quietly memory-holed, and the old rules are now in effect once again. It's as if June 1 and 2 never happened.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 9:27 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by ronin
The Points Guy is so June 1. Despite previous public announcements by the ministry of health and voting by the cabinet about the anticipated June 1 dropping of the Covid rules, the rules were only dropped for one or two days. United and Lufthansa travel site (per IATA), the German bund, and the US State Department sites all showed that relaxation as of June 1. Now, without any announcement, all that has been quietly memory-holed, and the old rules are now in effect once again. It's as if June 1 and 2 never happened.
Germany doing all it can to disprove stereotypes.
84fiero, LETTERBOY, the810 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
I think BER already took care of that
kirkwoodj, the810 and volabam like this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 6:57 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
In Europe for the past week, only time I had to wear a mask was on LH repositioning flight
Old Jun 9, 2022, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
What's the status of Turkey? TK's website says mask-wearing is at passenger's discretition - does that mean that masks are no longer required (or commonly worn) in Turkey? And for those of you familiar with local society, what does your crystal ball say about upcoming winter?

I would love to take my mom on a Christmas trip to Istanbul but masks are a major no no.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 7:18 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by the810
What's the status of Turkey? TK's website says mask-wearing is at passenger's discretition - does that mean that masks are no longer required (or commonly worn) in Turkey? And for those of you familiar with local society, what does your crystal ball say about upcoming winter?

I would love to take my mom on a Christmas trip to Istanbul but masks are a major no no.
Dated May 30th:

Hospitals now only places with COVID-19 mask mandate in Turkey

https://www.dailysabah.com/turkey/ho...in-turkey/news
the810, volabam and DaveS like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by the810

I was in Istanbul a couple weeks ago. FWIW TK enforced mask wearing on my flight out to ATH from IST but not on the flight into IST from ATH. Basically no one at the airport was wearing masks nor did anyone in Istanbul make a fuss about it at the various hotels, restaurants, shopping malls, historical sites etc that I visited. TK check-in agents were more interested in my vax card.

I imagine barring a major change in the trajectory of the virus, they'll move towards relaxing masks etc vs. tightening.
LETTERBOY, the810 and volabam like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't have access to timatic and rules are changing so fast that I don't really trust sherpa right now.

Can someone tell me what the current entry rules are for Finland, Italy, and Malta?

Also, I'll be flying Finnair (ORD-HEL-FCO) and Air Malta (FCO-MLA). Are masks required on any of my flights or in any of the airports?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.