Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Economy Plus is here to stay

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2011, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Economy Plus is here to stay. (...) On United-operated flights, Elite members of both programs have access to Economy Plus both in advance and at check-in. We will be harmonizing this policy in the coming year as we further synch up our two loyalty programs.
I am very glad that E+ is here to stay and will be added to the CO fleet, as well. However, with regards to your point #3 (complimentary access to E+ for elites)... as a 2P (Premier), married to another 2P, I must say that I very, very, very strongly hope that you retain the UA policy of allowing all elites, even down to the 2P level, to select E+ seats in advance (as early as the time of booking) rather than only at check-in. Especially while E+ is still not fully deployed on the CO fleet, E+ is therefore a more limited commodity given that all CO elites also have access to it... if the 2P/Premier level is disallowed reserving E+ in advance, I fear that some, if not many, 2Ps will no longer have reliable access to E+. The UDU system saw 2P access to upgrades diminish severely, and I would hate for that to happen to E+, as well.

So, while I am very glad that E+ is staying in general, I very strongly hope that you consider the above and retain the UA policy of allowing all elites, including 2P/Premier, to book E+ in advance.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by monitor
Didn't this become a foregone conclusion upon seeing the DL notice the other day? Seems to me that the celebration here should have begun then.
I thought the DL announcement only concerned their international aircraft.....
Old Feb 17, 2011, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nova08
FWIW, on my Monday flight when I checked in UA offerred me to buy up to F for a few hundred. I declined and went right to the gate to see if I was on the upgrade list and where I was. I was 14/17. I am not sure about UA buy up policies but I found it a little strange they would be offerring this buy up with I imagine a number of 1K's still waitlisted.
Curious - doing 300K+ BIS in the past 5 years, not once I have I ever received this type of offer from UA. Simply put, cash upgrades only come 1) outside the UDU (formerly e500) window if there's NF/NC space, or 2) inside the UDU window, only after all pending upgrades had cleared.

I suggest you send your flight information to Scott for further review - that's not a normal UA business practice.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Brasila
Finally UA corporate culture is taking hold....this is a move in the right direction...now if they would get rid of UDU I would even be happier....
Why ascribe this decision to "UA corporate culture taking hold"? Does it really have to be so sinister?

Couldn't the simple answer be that:

1. E+ was profitable for the old UA,
2. E+ will also be profitable for the NEW UA ?

And why would you be "happy" if they take away an important benefit like UDU? I just don't get the logic....
Old Feb 17, 2011, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by jlemon
I thought the DL announcement only concerned their international aircraft.....
It did. International premium economy is not a novel concept. Plenty of airlines have it. UA is the nly one with such an offering across its entire fleet. My understanding is that the UACO decision to keep E+ had already been made (but not announced) when DL made its announcement.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by UAL awesome
Except they need to give us the Tulip itself. If they think this will shut us up, they're wrong.
Negative, negative, negative from you (as usual)....

Oh well....perhaps when you graduate from high school you'll feel differently.......
Old Feb 17, 2011, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xyzzy
It did. International premium economy is not a novel concept. Plenty of airlines have it. UA is the nly one with such an offering across its entire fleet. My understanding is that the UACO decision to keep E+ had already been made (but not announced) when DL made its announcement.
Indeed. And Air New Zealand appears to be quite aggressive in this department. Witness their "sky couch" in Y........
Old Feb 17, 2011, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
Indeed. And Air New Zealand appears to be quite aggressive in this department. Witness their "sky couch" in Y........
I saw a picture of that recently. How much do they cost?
Do you basically pay the price for all 3 seats, and then the 2 of you "lounge" in it together?

Old Feb 17, 2011, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Curious - doing 300K+ BIS in the past 5 years, not once I have I ever received this type of offer from UA. Simply put, cash upgrades only come 1) outside the UDU (formerly e500) window if there's NF/NC space, or 2) inside the UDU window, only after all pending upgrades had cleared.

I suggest you send your flight information to Scott for further review - that's not a normal UA business practice.
Yes I was rather surprised this popped up. I have been flying UA every week for the past 5 months and this is the first time I've seen anything like it.
Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to exactly what was displayed as I wasn't going to go for the offer (And it was 5am monday morning). I just remember some amount of money and it mentioning F.

Would this information go to Scott or are these types of issues still separated by carrier?
Old Feb 17, 2011, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tanlines
I saw a picture of that recently. How much do they cost?
Do you basically pay the price for all 3 seats, and then the 2 of you "lounge" in it together?

Excellent question. However, unfortunately, I do not know the answer as I would opt for the front cabin on NZ (it's a long way from LAX to Auckland)......

Anybody else know how this works?
Old Feb 17, 2011, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nova08
Yes I was rather surprised this popped up. I have been flying UA every week for the past 5 months and this is the first time I've seen anything like it.
Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to exactly what was displayed as I wasn't going to go for the offer (And it was 5am monday morning). I just remember some amount of money and it mentioning F.

Would this information go to Scott or are these types of issues still separated by carrier?
I'm sure Scott has bigger fish to fry - you could send to him, but might be worth sending to 1KVoice as well.

I'm guessing you didn't mention the offer to the GA - that would have been interesting to see their reaction.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cova
Only from a standpoint that CO legacy management was sold on the idea of keeping E+ by legacy UA people. But remember, CO management is running the show here
I guess you missed the combined executive team announcement where it's pretty much 50/50.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Thanks, this just made my day ^

Long live E+
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Just came to add my .

Originally Posted by snowed
Thanks, this just made my day ^

Long live E+
^^^

Originally Posted by nnn
A flight attendant told me they settled the matter over a game of rock-paper-scissors.

(joke)
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by UAL awesome
Except they need to give us the Tulip itself. If they think this will shut us up, they're wrong.
Who is us?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.