Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Economy Plus is here to stay

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cova
But that was under the old UA. UA charged high prices for F so few bought, thus the F seats were mostly upgrades for GS/1K. BUT - CO who is in charge now - has lower priced F seats and instant upgrades on B and M (yes B is going up). And CO has a buy up program that calculates individual segments over cheapest upgradeable fare - even though it was not available during time of ticket purchase.

So get prepared. Unless you are GS - 1K'ers WILL see their upgrade rates drop. The days of 1K'ers who earn it buy flying only the cheapest fares - and who do long routings to earn the 100K miles AND get upgraded nearly 100% of the time are over.

Most here favor the E+ expansion to CO metal, but get prepared - that is where most of you will be sitting - unless you achieve GS or buy instant upgrade fares.

Milerunners who fly to earn top status - better get used to flying in E+. F will be a thing of the past unless you pay up.
You're assuming nothing else will change. Which, based on past history, is frankly... silly.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Furthermore and somewhat related, the CO practice of selling F upgrades when elites are waitlisted scares me. I would be much more excited to see a news release condemning that dirty old CO practice and taking the UA approach to rewarding loyalty.
Phooey. There is nothing wrong with the airline SELLING seats on the plane. If you want one, buy one.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by UAL awesome
Except they need to give us the Tulip itself. If they think this will shut us up, they're wrong.
The tulip is dead. You can stop nw.

Xyzzy
CO forum moderator
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:11 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by raehl311
Phooey. There is nothing wrong with the airline SELLING seats on the plane. If you want one, buy one.
Certainly, the "10s of dollars" mantra is primarily selfishness on the part of travelers who want free upgrades.

One reasonable argument that is set forth, however, is that the free domestic upgrades win the loyalty of business travelers who otherwise spend thousands of their employers' dollars to fly international premium cabins, etc.

Thus, the right answer for the airline depends on whether they can make more selling upgrades for "10s of dollars" or giving the upgrades for free to win the loyalty of premium long-haul travelers they would not get without the free upgrades.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:12 pm
ufo

Originally Posted by RNE

P.S. Expect "Off with their heads!" for a row of FC seats on many planes. If you're not platinum or better, you'd've never gotten those seats anyway.

I totally agree.... If two rows of FC (or even more) were removed, I don't think it would really be a big deal.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by monitor
Didn't this become a foregone conclusion upon seeing the DL notice the other day? Seems to me that the celebration here should have begun then.
Didnt DL announce E+ Only for its Intl flights,

Im just that I wont have to go shopping around for a new Home, now if CO will get rid of UAs caterer especially for KSML I can add a few more s
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
You're assuming nothing else will change. Which, based on past history, is frankly... silly.
Jeff and Jim are very smart and competent people. I am sure that the legacy UA folks put forth a strong argument with supporting financial data on why the new UA should keep E+. They are going after the business travelers, not trying to compete with WN.

But the transition team is now tasked with coming up with the strategy on how are they going to pay for it. I am sure they are analyzing both -4F or -6Y seats as options. As well as how F should be priced to make up any lost revenue. If you go from 16F to 12F on a 738 (like A320) you need to get a 33% increase in revenue from those remaining 12F seats to make up the difference, assuming E+ is the "you'll like what you see" freebie for FF'ers.

You can't raise coach fares - since those do compete with LCCs - so the options are: (1) earn more revenue from F or (2) earn more revenue from E+ from those that do not get it automatically - ie fee for E+ or ELR.

In our DO meetings with Jeff and Jim in the past - it is clear that the positions, if we give you something or we add something, we need some way to pay for it. It could be more higher fare passengers who want those new features or whatever.

I wish UA/CO could sell every F seat at top dollar prices, and I never get an upgrade - but realistically they can never sell all F seats - unless they drop them down. They can offer them for ToD's at check in time based on your fare and that is what CO does now.

I have been offered the last F seat for $200 over my $50 segment ticket value and could have bumped those ahead of me on the upgrade list. So new rules ahead.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
In our DO meetings with Jeff and Jim in the past - it is clear that the positions, if we give you something or we add something, we need some way to pay for it. It could be more higher fare passengers who want those new features or whatever.
UA has sold plenty of E+ seats for tens-of-dollars. Perhaps the removal of one row of whY will pay for itself that way? I know plenty f kettles who pony up for E+...
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Brasila
Finally UA corporate culture is taking hold....this is a move in the right direction...now if they would get rid of UDU I would even be happier....
Only from a standpoint that CO legacy management was sold on the idea of keeping E+ by legacy UA people. But remember, CO management is running the show here, and CO legacy management is now running revenue management. UA people - get ready for change.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by xyzzy
UA has sold plenty of E+ seats for tens-of-dollars. Perhaps the removal of one row of whY will pay for itself that way? I know plenty f kettles who pony up for E+...
My gut tells me CO will keep F as is (maybe reduce the mid-cabin lav config) and equalize the fleet.

Maybe:
735 - 8 F
73G, 319 - 12 F (an increase for the 319)
738, 320 - 16 F (an increase for the 320, a decrease for the 738 mid-lav)
739 - 20 F
752 domestic, 753 - 24 F

Plan is then - get more revenue in F - focus on getting instant upgrade fares and charge for E+ (non elites). Differentiate from the LCCs. Otherwise you can't compete on price. UA has a large international structure - so leverage that. UA needs F seats for connecting F/J passengers.

Of course, the other option is -4F, paid ups only.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lightbulb

Only from a standpoint that CO legacy management was sold on the idea of keeping E+ by legacy UA people. But remember, CO management is running the show here, and CO legacy management is now running revenue management. UA people - get ready for change.
To further what I said two posts up, the CO guys can now see the historic and current UA revenue numbers for E+. Aside from any competitive pressure DL put on them in the last week (announcing an E+ like offering for international travel), they clearly see that it can pay for itself. Maybe that's just from TOD upsells. Maybe it's from something else. We dn't know yet.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:47 pm
RNE

I know plenty f kettles who pony up for E+...
Awww. And I thought you liked to pretend you didn't know me.

RNE, saying, "Take the pledge: 'Tens of dollars for E+, but not a penny for MRs.'"
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA GS
To further what I said two posts up, the CO guys can now see the historic and current UA revenue numbers for E+. Aside from any competitive pressure DL put on them in the last week (announcing an E+ like offering for international travel), they clearly see that it can pay for itself. Maybe that's just from TOD upsells. Maybe it's from something else. We dn't know yet.
Spot on.....and this is the key point that the critics of UA E+ fail to recognize.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 7:00 pm

My gut tells me CO will keep F as is (maybe reduce the mid-cabin lav config) and equalize the fleet.

Maybe:
735 - 8 F
73G, 319 - 12 F (an increase for the 319)
738, 320 - 16 F (an increase for the 320, a decrease for the 738 mid-lav)
739 - 20 F
752 domestic, 753 - 24 F

Plan is then - get more revenue in F - focus on getting instant upgrade fares and charge for E+ (non elites). Differentiate from the LCCs. Otherwise you can't compete on price. UA has a large international structure - so leverage that. UA needs F seats for connecting F/J passengers.

Of course, the other option is -4F, paid ups only.
The 738s with the mid-cabin lav are getting the mid-cabin lav removed and reconfigured to the standard 16/144 3 lav version.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by channa
One of the changes in the months ahead that I think I'll like. ^
That's Smisek for ya!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.