Wiki Posts
Search

Economy Plus is here to stay

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:21 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I do feel that the decision was not an easy one and that there may have been a serious power struggle inside UACO over which way they would go based upon how long it took them to make the announcement.
A flight attendant told me they settled the matter over a game of rock-paper-scissors.

(joke)
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by RNE
P.S. Expect "Off with their heads!" for a row of FC seats on many planes. If you're not platinum or better, you'd've never gotten those seats anyway.
Maybe all the plats will get their shorts in a bunch, and massively threaten to leave UACO, and then there will be a net result of more F seats for us lower elites as a result
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gawhite411 View Post
And it is obvious that is what will happen. Terribly disappointing to see CO keeping E+ and reducing F seats. I already have a hard time finding enough F inventory to buy and for those of us who pay for F, E+ is a poor substitute.

Originally Posted by EWR764
Let's wait and see how it shakes out. Scott's words, "This is yet to be decided. It’s an important decision, especially for our domestic fleet, and one we’re putting a lot of thought into." sound an awful lot like the company line on Economy Plus prior to today's announcement.
+1 Rather than say the sky is falling, why not voice our opinion that a reduction in F space will cause a significant exodus of elite flyers. Who's willing to accept defeat......lets keep it all!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992
When I used the term "sorry state of the merger", I was referring to UA flyers.

It has been very nice changes for CO flyers (other than B fare is way up), SWU, CR1, now E+.

But what do we get? Practically nothing.

We pray no "change", not even expecting any new goodies. Very sad, indeed.

Lack of competition only results in higher fares and benefit cuts.

Airline executives will get more bonus and share holders will be happy too. But consumers lose.

Your premise assumes that a future independent UA could/would have been able to continue providing its customers "all that they've become used to" in the past and still become a profitable airline year over year....

But what if that weren't the case?

Most analysts (and apparently a LOT of UA shareholders) concluded that UA wouldn't even survive another decade of financial mis-management or a multi-year bankruptcy, much less be profitable.

Many here have been so quick to (repeatedly) point out how "wonderful" everything was at UA before the merger, and how "terrible" everything has been since the Smisek-led management team came in and started "ruining" it all.

If you think our UA "benefits" are in jeopardy now, just imagine how much our CR1s, SWUs, and MP accounts would be worth if, instead of merging with CO, the company failed!!

I may not like everything about our "arranged marriage", but I certainly want it to succeed..... and, experience has taught me that criticizing the spouse (or bad-mouthing the in-laws) at every turn, isn't going to make the relationship a harmonious one.

[and for the record, let's not forget who UA's other two "back-ups" were.... a hook-up with US or a take-over by DL (thanks, but no thanks, Pardus)]

Last edited by tanlines; Feb 17, 2011 at 4:47 pm
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP via status match, COdbaUA 1K
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone, I know we’ve all been on the edge of our seats regarding the fate of our Economy Plus product, and I believe the headline and press release says it all. Economy Plus is here to stay.

Specifically, we will be retaining our Economy Plus seating on all current United aircraft and will be adding an Economy Plus seating section to our fleet of Continental aircraft starting in 2012. To set expectations, this will be a multi-year effort, and the specific timing won’t be provided until we have a better sense of our modification schedule. Factors including aircraft availability, hangar schedules, are still being determined.

I’ll do my best to answer some your questions, starting with some obvious ones below:
  1. Why wait until 2012 to start? As with any major cabin retrofit program, there’s a fair amount of engineering and planning that needs to be done before we can start on the first aircraft. This is the amount of lead time we need to get the process started.

Fantastic, but as a ps flyer, I am a little nervous by the non-answer regarding ps service...hmmm.
  2. Will Economy Plus be installed at the expense of First Class or Economy Class seats? This is yet to be decided. It’s an important decision, especially for our domestic fleet, and one we’re putting a lot of thought into.

3. Will Elites still have complimentary access to Economy Plus? The short answer is yes. As many of you know, Continental and United Elites have different policies for accessing extra legroom seating. Currently, on Continental-operated flights, extra legroom seats (select bulkhead and exit row seats) are complimentary to OnePass Gold/Platinum/Presidential Platinum and Mileage Plus Premier Executive/1K/Global Services members in advance, and to all Elite members from both programs at check-in. On United-operated flights, Elite members of both programs have access to Economy Plus both in advance and at check-in. We will be harmonizing this policy in the coming year as we further synch up our two loyalty programs.

4. What about the p.s. transcon product, 3-cabin First Class, and other configuration decisions? There are indeed several more aircraft configuration blanks to fill in, which we expect to announce throughout the year. Stay tuned!
I think those are the key points, but if I've missed anything please let me know.

Scott O’Leary
Managing Director, Customer Solutions
United Airlines
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
But this doesn't dispute the fact that UA elites have very little to cheer for. We only hope that Smisek keeps status quo and doesn't take away what we have now.

I dunno, if the governor called with a stay of execution, I'd be happy too.

Sure I was alive yesterday, so it doesn't buy me anything I don't have at that very moment. But now I can live to see tomorrow.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by tanlines
my concerns exactly.

Everyone's making SUCH a big deal about E+, but what if it comes at the ultimate expense of fewer/costlier/no free upgrades to F?

E+ may not be so "glorious" if complimentary EUAs get replaced by ToD's and instrument-based (i.e. "earned") upgrades.
UA elites have been doing just fine with E+ and F cabins. Sure, waitlists can be long on hub-hub A319 flights, but many elites have a good chance of clearing UDU. As a 1K, I've cleared almost every UDU, except for times when I've been switched to a different flight, an hour before departure (irrops)..

I doubt UA would eliminate UDU and make F a pay/instrument based upgrade.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart! Smart!

^
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not saying it's bad news. Obviously for CO elites E+ is a nice change.

But this doesn't dispute the fact that UA elites have very little to cheer for. We only hope that Smisek keeps status quo and doesn't take away what we have now.

When no news becomes good news and causes mass celebration, you know how sorry we feel about this merger.
I feel that you are missing the point.

In the long run, there is no difference between UA elites and CO elites. There will be one combined airline with combined frequent flyer members. At the end of the day, the merger is about combining the aircraft, network, services and staff from both airlines to create the largest airline in the world.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA nothing (former multi-year CO Platinum), AA 1M Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by grahatd
Do a little home engineering looking at seat maps. On the narrowbody aircraft, removing an F row provides more space than is needed. Removing 1 row in Y provides 31 inches which provides 6 to 8 rows of E+ depending on exit row configuration, etc. That matches 319/320's 6 or 7 rows of E+.

On aircraft with flatbed seats suck as the 757 and 777, it is very unlikely they will be touched. I would expect changes will be limited to Y.

On the CO 764 the position of the exit, galley and lav dictate that the changes be only in Y.
I think I agree with you. Seat pitch is 31" for CO coach, 36" for UA E+, and 38" for CO FC. So upgrading a row of CO coach to E+ takes an extra 5". Removing one row of coach frees up 31 inches, enough to upgrade 6 rows to E+. Removing a row of first class would free up enough space to upgrade 7 rows of coach to E+. But the net effect of that would be to trade one row of first class for one row of E+.

Give up one row of coach, upgrade six rows of coach. Net impact:
Minus 7 rows of regular coach
Plus 6 rows of E+
No change to first class

Give up one row of first class, upgrade seven rows of coach. Net impact:
Minus 7 rows of regular coach
Plus 7 rows of E+
Minus 1 row of to first class

Compared to first case, second case is:
Plus 1 row of E+
Minus 1 row of FC

Seems like a dumb choice to me unless UA/CO somehow thinks it can make more money on an E+ seat than a first class seat.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jchiguy1
I am absolutely thrilled! Thank you to the new United for giving us some of the best of the tulip!
Except they need to give us the Tulip itself. If they think this will shut us up, they're wrong.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:03 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Thumbs up

I largely stopped going after elite status after spending a year as a CO Gold without a single upgrade. This year I'm silver and got lucky on my one flight so far---an upgrade LAX-SFO. Last year after qualifying I had a great experience in E+ LAS-SFO.
As a low level elite with a Presidential Plus card this change really impacts me; I assume that upgrades will be few/far between and knowing that there is a pretty good chance I will end up in E+, along with the new watered down Rapid Rewards, means that I will be more likely to choose UA over WN for my local hops along the west coast. Thanks Scott and everyone else at Smith Street/Wacker Drive!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flaii
I agree with you. When I first heard the announcement, I rejoiced because it seemed like things would be "like they've always been." But after reading the post from UA Insider, it seems like there at least is a possibility for some changes down the line as far as access goes. This makes me a bit worried.
I too was excited, but there is definately a hint that advance E+ seating may not be for all elites. CO already limits their bulkhead seat assignments until 24 hours in-advance (basically OLCI)...not being able to grab row 6 on the A319/A320 in-advance of my UDU not clearing would definately be a big
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by joeljack
As a UA 1K, missing an upgrade is very rare, and UA has way less seats in First than CO so I don't see how it's an issue. Do they really need that many First seats? For example on the 737-800, 132 coach seats and 20 first class is a bit much. This about the same size as an A320 for UA and they have 12 First seats on this plane. Maybe if both carriers had 16 FC seats on an aircraft this size, that would be best.
Most of CO's 738 have 16/141 or 144

The thing is the A319/A319/738/739's will likely do a lot of the non SFO/LAX transcons from IAD/EWR and non EWR/IAD transcons from LAX/SFO. The fact all of these aircraft may only have 12 F seats for a transcon flight is kind of sad.

Just to note:
AA 738/MD80 16 F seats
DL 738/MD80/DC9/A320 16 F seats
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
YAY! finally a change I like

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.