Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Economy Plus is here to stay

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:14 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
This is excellent news!!! ^^^
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So based on this thread's location, Continental is keeping E+? I thought it was United that had E+?

Housekeeping issues aside, it's good to see E+ stay BUT I have my doubts on how much it will eventually cost us, including elites.

Furthermore and somewhat related, the CO practice of selling F upgrades when elites are waitlisted scares me. I would be much more excited to see a news release condemning that dirty old CO practice and taking the UA approach to rewarding loyalty.

Finally, there hasn't been one single "change" stemming from this merger that has benefited me. It's either a confirmation of something I already had, or in the case of the RCC, the removal of a benefit (drink tix versus free grain alcohol).
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Silver, and HH Diamond
This is good news. E+ is main reason I stuck with UA.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Great news!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by UNITED959
Furthermore and somewhat related, the CO practice of selling F upgrades when elites are waitlisted scares me. I would be much more excited to see a news release condemning that dirty old CO practice and taking the UA approach to rewarding loyalty.
FWIW, on my Monday flight when I checked in UA offerred me to buy up to F for a few hundred. I declined and went right to the gate to see if I was on the upgrade list and where I was. I was 14/17. I am not sure about UA buy up policies but I found it a little strange they would be offerring this buy up with I imagine a number of 1K's still waitlisted.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by nova08
FWIW, on my Monday flight when I checked in UA offerred me to buy up to F for a few hundred. I declined and went right to the gate to see if I was on the upgrade list and where I was. I was 14/17. I am not sure about UA buy up policies but I found it a little strange they would be offerring this buy up with I imagine a number of 1K's still waitlisted.
I flew 152,000EQM, on UA, in 2010. Except for offers when I purchased a ticket and NF or NC space was available, I was never offered a buy-up to F at the airport. Still have not had it happen in 2011, and I've flown about 25K.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Flyer737
Seems like a dumb choice to me unless UA/CO somehow thinks it can make more money on an E+ seat than a first class seat.
You mean 6 E+ seats plus the marginal of revenue of 30+ E+ seats over E seats (paid or in loyalty) vs 4 F seats.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by UAL awesome
Except they need to give us the Tulip itself. If they think this will shut us up, they're wrong.
The tulip is dead get over it already it isn't coming back. Every thread tht has anything merger related you come and start whining and complaining about the logo it's getting real old and kinda annoying. 99.9 % of the flying public care about whts on the inside of the plane, they could care less about the paint, it's on the inside tht matters.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:30 pm

Excellent News!!! 1K here I come.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
The tulip is dead get over it already it isn't coming back. Every thread tht has anything merger related you come and start whining and complaining about the logo it's getting real old and kinda annoying. 99.9 % of the flying public care about whts on the inside of the plane, they could care less about the paint, it's on the inside tht matters.
Not to get too off-topic, but where did you get the statistic that 99.9% of the flying public don't care about the branding? Sources, please!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:33 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Priority Club
"One of the changes in the months ahead and I think I'll like it."
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Not to get too off-topic, but where did you get the statistic that 99.9% of the flying public don't care about the branding? Sources, please!
No where but with the exception of the very frequent flyers the average Joe could care less about paint they wanna get from point A to point B as cheap as possible and with good service. And whn I said 99 % I was refering to the average traveler not frequent flyers who fly every few days and have hundreds of thousands of miles.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:46 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
Excellent news!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by UAL awesome
Quote of deleted post removed by moderator
OK...... I'll bite....

So what's the real reason you keep repeating the same thing over, and over, and over again, on every thread you find (especially in those where a mention of the new livery is only marginally- or tangentially-relevant to the actual topic)?

Do you sincerely believe that if you just keep repeating it enough, Smisek & Co. will eventually "find the error of their ways" and suddenly call for a "do-over" on the paint job or something?

Otherwise, I'm sure you must have many other substantive ideas/comments to contribute to any number of the varied discussions on the CO board. yes/no?

Seriously, dude, it's been decided already...

the tulip is going away on vacation. let it go. please.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Feb 17, 2011 at 6:09 pm
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joeljack
As a UA 1K, missing an upgrade is very rare, and UA has way less seats in First than CO so I don't see how it's an issue. Do they really need that many First seats? For example on the 737-800, 132 coach seats and 20 first class is a bit much. This about the same size as an A320 for UA and they have 12 First seats on this plane. Maybe if both carriers had 16 FC seats on an aircraft this size, that would be best.
But that was under the old UA. UA charged high prices for F so few bought, thus the F seats were mostly upgrades for GS/1K. BUT - CO who is in charge now - has lower priced F seats and instant upgrades on B and M (yes B is going up). And CO has a buy up program that calculates individual segments over cheapest upgradeable fare - even though it was not available during time of ticket purchase.

So get prepared. Unless you are GS - 1K'ers WILL see their upgrade rates drop. The days of 1K'ers who earn it buy flying only the cheapest fares - and who do long routings to earn the 100K miles AND get upgraded nearly 100% of the time are over.

Most here favor the E+ expansion to CO metal, but get prepared - that is where most of you will be sitting - unless you achieve GS or buy instant upgrade fares.

Milerunners who fly to earn top status - better get used to flying in E+. F will be a thing of the past unless you pay up. CO tracks revenue - and if you don't make GS, there will be two 1K levels: 1K+ and 1K-. Which category do you fall into? While you may not see it - the new UA will.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.