Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Economy Plus is here to stay

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
but if your upgrade doesn't clear, you'll be able to cross your legs and for those who haven't had the pleasure of e+, it is a world of difference
Yes I see where you are coming from but if F seats go then and you don't fly 75-100k a year you can probably kiss any hope of an upgrade good bye, unless you fly in the middle of the day on a Wednesday.

Some may argrue that if you don't fly that much you don't deserve an upgrade but to me those upgrades are one of the major drivers of loyalty
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by ssullivan
Great news!

(And I've thought they would keep it all along — glad to see I was right. )
+1

They would have been incredibly stupid to eliminate E+!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP
Best news to show up on my FB news feed all year!!!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by as219
It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out...

I can understand why CO elites would be reluctant to sacrifice F seats, insofar as (a) they aren't as familiar with E+ life as are UA elites and so it's mostly an unknown for them; (b) in general, CO F > UA F; and (c) they don't have the kind of large C/F hub-to-hub capacity that UA has. On the other hand, I think they'd come to really appreciate E+ during irrops or when they have to book late, when F is full, but there are plenty of E+ seats held back from GMs.

I'm happy to see E+ stay! ^

some of us who are elite on both carriers are very "familiar" with the E+.... there's nothing wrong with E+ seats...... I just happen to prefer sitting in the CO F product more!!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
CHANGE is coming to our legroom!!!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by enviroian
+500. If they yank F seats for E + no more CO for me. It's hard enough as a plat to get upfront anymore. If that happens we'll never see the front.
My bet is that the 753, 735 and 73G keep their existing F and the 738/739/73E settle at 16 F.
In Memorium

Programs: UA 1K-3.5MM; AA Exec. Plat.; Hyatt Diamond; Marriott Platinum
Thank you UA/CO!!!!!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:42 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Happy dance!

Same-day changes when F is already full would not have been good without this.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Didn't this become a foregone conclusion upon seeing the DL notice the other day? Seems to me that the celebration here should have begun then.

Originally Posted by tnmlyger
This is honestly excellent news. E+ brought me to United many years ago and E+ will keep me there.
Me too. Great news.

Mark

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Excellent. I'm not surprised to see this as it is clearly something that regular UA customers value highly. Removing it -- especially after competitors have announced they're going to be adding it into their fleets -- would have been a bad business decision. As a regular CO flier, I'm looking forward to trying E+.

Thanks for the info as always, Scott.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
My bet is that the 753, 735 and 73G keep their existing F and the 738/739/73E settle at 16 F.
+1

I don't see them taking F seats from the 753. That would be weird to put a few E+ seats in the forward area..
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I think this is a good development. E+ is important. I hope that E+ will synch with UA's E+ in terms of pitch and seat width so as to really make a difference from CO's current Y.

The bad news I suspect is that the needed space will probably be a result of ripping out a row of F since CO has much more F seats on their narrowbody aircraft than UA does.

But I wouldn't mind that at all since CO now:

- has a new 1k tier rewarding more frequent fliers
- has changed their fare structure to make purchase of F seat more expensive
- provides an alternative to sitting on it's wooden benches in the back

Looks like when it comes to yield management, UA is soundly setting the pace...whether regarding fare classes, levels, E+, etc.

Some CO fans will dislike this, but I find recent events encouraging. That said, if it's a multi-year effort, it sounds like I'll be flying UA equipment for that long until I can reliably score E+ on Pre-merger CO equipment.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:44 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
God Bless the UNITED States of America

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.