Wiki Posts
Search

Economy Plus is here to stay

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by N522US
...but many opinions will quickly change if CO starts removing a row or two of first class to make way (and more closely resemble UA's scant domestic first class cabin).
And it is obvious that is what will happen. Terribly disappointing to see CO keeping E+ and reducing F seats. I already have a hard time finding enough F inventory to buy and for those of us who pay for F, E+ is a poor substitute.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992
There is no change for UA flyers, channa. We always get E+ since 1999.

Nice change for CO flyers.

When they decide to maintain status quo, people are cheering like it's the best news ever since the merger.

This further verifies the sorry state of this merger. People pray that SMI/J doesn't destroy what we have now.

If UA announces that 1Ks get 6 SWUs without fare restriction and can be used on CO flights, then that is a change I like.

Until then, I maintain that UA elites have not received any major benefits from this merger. All "changes" are negative so far.
Apparently even good news can be transformed into bad news and then blamed on Smisek. Ridiculous.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
AWESOME NEWS!

Finally something we'll like- ^ ^

edit: man some people can never be happy...

Originally Posted by gawhite411
And it is obvious that is what will happen. Terribly disappointing to see CO keeping E+ and reducing F seats. I already have a hard time finding enough F inventory to buy and for those of us who pay for F, E+ is a poor substitute.
If you really pay for F, you dont have anything to worry about, its the free upgrades that will die down with the F cabin reductions...

Last edited by UAL4life; Feb 17, 2011 at 4:01 pm
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: Too many
^ for keeping E+. I hope they choose to remove Y not F seats to add it.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
One big question: Will CO get new Y seats, or will they keep the same, rock-hard wooden benches?
Exactly what I was thinking... Additionally, while they're at it, why not make Int'l E+ more of a premium economy offering with free u/g's limited to top tiers. Throw in free drinks like DL and an upgraded meal, and 8+ hour flights might be bearable again.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
+500. If they yank F seats for E + no more CO for me. It's hard enough as a plat to get upfront anymore. If that happens we'll never see the front.
As a UA 1K, missing an upgrade is very rare, and UA has way less seats in First than CO so I don't see how it's an issue. Do they really need that many First seats? For example on the 737-800, 132 coach seats and 20 first class is a bit much. This about the same size as an A320 for UA and they have 12 First seats on this plane. Maybe if both carriers had 16 FC seats on an aircraft this size, that would be best.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:57 pm

Programs: QR platinum
Great news ^
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Thumbs up Big thumbs up

Great news Scott!! I am so so tempted to pull up the threads of the naysayers and bashers; but they know who they are already...

SunLover
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:58 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by joeljack
As a UA 1K, missing an upgrade is very rare, and UA has way less seats in First than CO so I don't see how it's an issue. Do they really need that many First seats? For example on the 737-800, 132 coach seats and 20 first class is a bit much. This about the same size as an A320 for UA and they have 12 First seats on this plane. Maybe if both carriers had 16 FC seats on an aircraft this size, that would be best.
Yes 1Ks may not miss upgrades, but next year I will be Gold, and I want a chance to get upgraded, E+ or not.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by SFOtoORD
Apparently even good news can be transformed into bad news and then blamed on Smisek. Ridiculous.
I am not saying it's bad news. Obviously for CO elites E+ is a nice change.

But this doesn't dispute the fact that UA elites have very little to cheer for. We only hope that Smisek keeps status quo and doesn't take away what we have now.

When no news becomes good news and causes mass celebration, you know how sorry we feel about this merger.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA; Delta; US Air; BA Executive Club
Great news on E+ being extended to the CO fleet.

I have flown a few flights on CO since the "reciprocal" upgrade policy took effect and have never cleared an upgrade, but instead usually got an exit row seat. With E+ the number of seats that will save you from E- is substantial. Since I first attained Elite Status with United a few years ago I have never had to sit in anything less than E+ on a UA mainline flight. After being on a few Delta and CO flights in straight Y the last year I really noticed the difference.

Every elite would like a fleet with 50-100 First Class seats per aircraft and 20 rows of E+, that will simply not happen.

With the overall increase in elites next year the only way to be pretty sure that your upgrade will clear will be if you are 1K (100,000 miles) or higher. Silvers/Premiers and Golds/Premier Executives will have a harder time of it on hub to hub flights.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by gawhite411
Just yesterday, it was obvious that E+ was going the way of the dodo because Jeff $misek had taken over, CO staff comprised most of new UA management, John Tague left the company, load factors are 85%+, and so on. Now what?

Let's wait and see how it shakes out. Scott's words, "This is yet to be decided. It’s an important decision, especially for our domestic fleet, and one we’re putting a lot of thought into." sound an awful lot like the company line on Economy Plus prior to today's announcement.

There is no change for UA flyers, channa. We always get E+ since 1999.

Nice change for CO flyers.

When they decide to maintain status quo, people are cheering like it's the best news ever since the merger.

This further verifies the sorry state of this merger. People pray that SMI/J doesn't destroy what we have now.

If UA announces that 1Ks get 6 SWUs without fare restriction and can be used on CO flights, then that is a change I like.

Until then, I maintain that UA elites have not received any major benefits from this merger. All "changes" are negative so far.
UA Elites will ultimately have access to Economy Plus seating on 350+ more mainline aircraft. I fail to see how having an airline 2x larger than before with the same amenities is anything but an improvement.

When no news becomes good news and causes mass celebration, you know how sorry we feel about this merger.
It's not "no news". For anyone that flies CO planes they'll have an option to sit in E+ at some point. In my book, that is good news.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is fantastic news! CO's seating is one of the top reasons I end up booking on other carriers, especially when flying last minute. This pretty much fixes that issue, and I really don't care if it comes at the expense of some F seats.

So far it looks like this merger is is a net positive for both UA and CO flyers. We get E+, they get rid of UA's fraudulent *Net blocking practice. Let's hope that trend continues and we see DTV on UA aircraft and Gogo on CO.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:19 pm
RNE

Good to know we sparked an answer from the Monarchy. And even gladder to know the answer went our way! E+ is the coin of the realm.

RNE, bragging, "Chalk up another correct prediction for me on the ol' celestial blackboard." ^

P.S. Expect "Off with their heads!" for a row of FC seats on many planes. If you're not platinum or better, you'd've never gotten those seats anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.