Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Economy Plus is here to stay

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wcj1
I know I do not bring a huge amount of revenue to United as a Premier, but Economy Plus is why I stay with United and why I do not fly other airlines, even when their tickets are less expensive. If I cannot have advance access to Economy Plus, I then need to question why I am maintaining Premier status and loyalty to United and I will probably switch to whatever airline is offering the lowest price. So please take this into consideration and I hope you keep the current United practice in place.
The fundamental issue is that UA aircraft have WAY more E+ seats than CO aircraft have ELR seats. And many of CO's ELR seats have drawbacks like no underseat storage or no/reduced recline.

So UA can let any elite sit in E+ without running out of E+ seats for all their elites. CO can't.

Long-term, I would expect E+ access to be available to any elite any time. Short term, UA (and higher-status elites) may not want the limited number of ELR seats on CO aircraft filled out by Silvers/2Ps prior to check-in.

More generally, I would rather have more F seats and more E+ seats, but I'd also rather have E+ seats than more F seats. I wouldn't be too upset if I lost some F upgrades in trade for ALWAYS having at least E+.

E+ is, for me, a major step-up over E-. F isn't as much of a step up over E+. Especially if, say, Plats in E+ got a comp drink.
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by channa
One of the changes in the months ahead that I think I'll like. ^
One of the things that won't change in the months ahead that I think I'll like.

Other possibilites would be: retain 3-cabin F, p.s., Channel 9, and pillows and real blankets. Basically, stop making changes.

Except Starnet. Please kill Starnet.

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Thank you!!! This is excellent news and thanks for sharing Scott! ^

Programs: UA GS
Funny how the members how said there was no way that E+ would be retained have gone silent! Let me rub it in......you missed it big time.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
My bet is that the 753, 735 and 73G keep their existing F and the 738/739/73E settle at 16 F.
Well, I've sort of arrived at a similar conclusion, except the problem is they probably need more F seats on the transcons. I don't think there are enough PS-configured planes (obviously that could be rectified) to handle all those routes. Though maybe UA has some other high-F capacity equipment that could be redeployed on some of the ex-EWR transcons?
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:07 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Great news!

As for taking away F seats, I think we all hope they reduce Y capacity instead; however, if the choice was fewer F seats in order to have E+, then I'd be willing to make that sacrifice.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I knew that the return of Scott was a good thing! Glad to hear, and looking forward!!

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wcj1
I know I do not bring a huge amount of revenue to United as a Premier, but Economy Plus is why I stay with United and why I do not fly other airlines, even when their tickets are less expensive. If I cannot have advance access to Economy Plus, I then need to question why I am maintaining Premier status and loyalty to United and I will probably switch to whatever airline is offering the lowest price. So please take this into consideration and I hope you keep the current United practice in place.

BillJ
I agree with you. When I first heard the announcement, I rejoiced because it seemed like things would be "like they've always been." But after reading the post from UA Insider, it seems like there at least is a possibility for some changes down the line as far as access goes. This makes me a bit worried.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Will definitely celebrate for a day, and try to stay cautiously optimistic for future "changes we'll like". But this is definitely huge.

Interesting to note that it looks like the DL int'l E+ announcement may have spurred an acceleration of the Jan 26 announced "30-60 days for configuration decision" statement on the earnings conference call.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1P,.6 MM, Hilton Silver
Great news for now. We will have to see what changes still lie ahead.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
One of the things that won't change in the months ahead that I think I'll like.
It's a change for CO planes. It's no change for UA planes.

Other possibilites would be: retain 3-cabin F, p.s., Channel 9, and pillows and real blankets. Basically, stop making changes.
You mean keep UA as is?

Except Starnet. Please kill Starnet.
StarNet is good. Look at how easy it is to book OAL awards on Star vs. say SkyTeam.

StarNet blocking is bad. Not sure we've seen much if any of it in the past several months, but from a policy perspective, yeah, it needs to go.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
oh well

Originally Posted by channa
One of the changes in the months ahead that I think I'll like. ^
There is no change for UA flyers, channa. We always get E+ since 1999.

Nice change for CO flyers.

When they decide to maintain status quo, people are cheering like it's the best news ever since the merger.

This further verifies the sorry state of this merger. People pray that SMI/J doesn't destroy what we have now.

If UA announces that 1Ks get 6 SWUs without fare restriction and can be used on CO flights, then that is a change I like.

Until then, I maintain that UA elites have not received any major benefits from this merger. All "changes" are negative so far.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by squarestatejeff
Great news!

As for taking away F seats, I think we all hope they reduce Y capacity instead; however, if the choice was fewer F seats in order to have E+, then I'd be willing to make that sacrifice.
While that would be preferable, I just don't see it happening... especially on the -700, -800 and -900 aircraft. Logic says 4 F seats will disappear from each of those planes to make room for E+.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Awesome news. Glad management got it right. ^^
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
We really need to see the rest of this announcement before we make conclusions:

1. Reduction of F would be bad. Still TBD

2. EUA/UDU to E+ for low level elites would be bad for them. Who can reserve E+ or ELR in advance is TBD.

What if:

1. UA/CO reduces F cabins

2. Top tiers PPlat/Plat/Gold/GS/1K/1P get E+ at time of ticket. But have to pay for upgrade to F. With the buy up program we sort of see this now.

3. Silver/2P only get EUA/UDU into E+ if there are E+ seats available.

While the good news has been announced, the TBDs could be the bad news.

I think UA/CO is trying to differentiate from LLC with E+. But E+ becomes the elite seating option and F becomes a buy up or requires a high fare code (B or M) to get F. These buyups or high fare only to F helps pay for the loss of 1 row of Y to create E+.

What would you do if auto upgrades to F go away and only upgradeable for set or variable fees or only apply to high level fare codes? Would you switch to DL or AA (if you earn AA Exec Plat)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.