Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Economy Plus is here to stay

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:49 am

Programs: UA-MP S, DL-PM, HHonors D, SPG Gold, Fairmont PC
Economy + Refresh

Great news indeed, however if UA is going to expand and invest in rolling out E+ across the CO fleet, I hope that E+ is improved...at least the INTL configuration. Winged headrest, 7+ inches recline, >35+ in. seat pitch, AC Power 2 for 3 seats), AVOD, and maybe business-class meal options (at a min). Oh and refresh the welcome and safety video...it's a snoozer and Smisek just isn't that PR friendly (at least on camera).

Last edited by trojo805; Feb 18, 2011 at 11:19 pm
Old Feb 18, 2011, 1:38 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by enviroian
+500. If they yank F seats for E + no more CO for me. It's hard enough as a plat to get upfront anymore. If that happens we'll never see the front.
The solution to that isn't to keep the F seats, it's to stop selling them for peanuts to GMs.

I get plenty of upgrades on UA A319s and A320s (8 and 12 F seats).
Old Feb 18, 2011, 1:54 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jlemon
Excellent question. However, unfortunately, I do not know the answer as I would opt for the front cabin on NZ (it's a long way from LAX to Auckland)......

Anybody else know how this works?
You have to buy 2.5 seats; two passengers and then a 50% discount to keep the middle seat empty.

Air New Zealand has already had similar programs for a while called Twin Seat. If an economy seat next to you is free, you can buy it for $60.

Originally Posted by xyzzy
International premium economy is not a novel concept. Plenty of airlines have it.
Premium economy is NOT the same thing as economy plus (E+). E+ on UA just gets you a few extra inches of legroom. Premium economy on BA, for example, gets you a seat similar to UA domestic F. It's wider (2-4-2 on a 747 vs. 3-4-3) and more legroom, plus a footrest. On NZ, the premium economy seat isn't quite as good (it's the same width as economy on a 777) but it gets you the business class meal.

The difference is that premium economy is often very expensive (2x economy on BA, sometimes 3x economy on NZ) and for some is not worth the cost.

Last edited by SFOSpiff; Feb 18, 2011 at 2:00 am
Old Feb 18, 2011, 2:42 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Great decision and step one in keeping UA elites with UA after this merger is fully integrated.

Now the next HUGE decision will be what to do with CO longhaul planes that only have bus/first seats as a 2 class as opposed to the rather nice new premium cabins of UA.

I vote to convert CO to 3 class, UA in case you are listening.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 2:44 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff

The difference is that premium economy is often very expensive (2x economy on BA, sometimes 3x economy on NZ) and for some is not worth the cost.
BA basically holds you at ransom for their world traveler plus.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 3:43 am

Programs: UACO Plat/1K, DL Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis - PC, SPG Gold, Colorado Pass
I don't look on the CO forum for about half a day and then of course, big news! Anyhow, I've come to enjoy E+.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 4:00 am

Programs: UA nothing (former multi-year CO Platinum), AA 1M Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by mduell
You mean 6 E+ seats plus the marginal of revenue of 30+ E+ seats over E seats (paid or in loyalty) vs 4 F seats.
I meant a dumb choice to take the seats from first instead of coach. I did not mean it was a dumb choice to do E+. I think that is a very wise choice.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 5:47 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by Grace B
Have to say that I haven't been waiting on the edge of my seat to hear this. Couldn't care less.

Now if Smisek announced he was committing self harm, that would be worth hearing.
Well judging by the vast majority of posters, the consensus appears to be overwhelmingly positive. Clearly those of us who are staying with UA will have one less upgrade competition on the upgrade. It really makes me laugh to hear how some people will turn any positive into a negative, and as for wishing Smisek committing self harm, give the guy a friggin break he is spearheading an incredibly complex integration process. Wishing someone harm is just very uncool.

Adam
Old Feb 18, 2011, 5:49 am

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
Thanks for the great news. But PLEASE keep free advance access for 2P/Silvers. This is my 9th year at 2P, and especially since UDU keeps me from getting anything other than a rare upgrade, the ability to select E+ in advance for free is one of the only reasons I stay loyal to UA.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 5:50 am

Programs: UA 1P, Delta GM, SPG Platinum, Priority Club Platinum
Great news. This will help cement my loyalty to UA for sure.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 6:13 am

Can't remember when/if I've ever seen so much positive response to an airline action. Refreshing. Still a few naysayers/neutrals but given the usual FT proportions the plus side seems really overwhelming on this issue.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 6:33 am

Programs: UA Gold, OZ silver,
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
I don't care what anybody else says. As halls says, some people just see the glass as half-empty. As a 6'1" flyer, whose height is mainly in the legs, this was the decision that I've been waiting for. E+ is a Godsend when my upgrades don't clear. Thanks UA for making the first of the changes that "I'll like." ^^^^^^^^^^

At 6'1" myself I have to agree!
Old Feb 18, 2011, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by schley
BA basically holds you at ransom for their world traveler plus.
WT+ is a separate product though and it has been compared to E+ in numerous other threads.

2-4-2 vs 3-4-3 seating
first to get served
dedicated cabin crew
different seat
etc.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Grace B
Now if Smisek announced he was committing self harm, that would be worth hearing.
Unfortunately, Grace B., your comments on the UA/CO boards have gone from unpleasant and unhelpful to downright ugly.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 7:26 am

Mid cabin lav prevent that?

Originally Posted by sbm12
My bet is that the 753, 735 and 73G keep their existing F and the 738/739/73E settle at 16 F.
Is a mid cabin lav movable? Or would that prevent them from going 16 F?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.