Wiki Posts
Search

Economy Plus is here to stay

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2011, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Talked to a CO FA today who had some interesting thoughts on E+ - long story short, she REALLY doesn't like it:

1. She says "CO has some very loyal flyers, and they aren't going to like having fewer seats on their planes". Had to try hard not to at that one.

2. Something like "it adds more difficulty to our service". I tried to explain that it's the exact same service, just more legroom.
Huh?

I guess this CO FA doesn't know much about outside world of Continental Airlines.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
Talked to a CO FA today who had some interesting thoughts on E+ - long story short, she REALLY doesn't like it:

1. She says "CO has some very loyal flyers, and they aren't going to like having fewer seats on their planes". Had to try hard not to at that one.
2. Something like "it adds more difficulty to our service". I tried to explain that it's the exact same service, just more legroom.

Who knows.
Well, I suppose keeping people from poaching E+ adds some degree of difficulty, but she'll get used to it.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Edit: meh, not funny.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 9:14 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since

Who knows.
Unless removing a few seats puts the plane just below the threshold for a legally-required FA, it should make their service easier, not harder.

It's apparently that the costs of FAs on planes aren't deemed terribly significant, or you'd see more layouts at or barely below numbers evenly divisible by 50.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:23 pm

Programs: Formerly UA, now whoever has the best routing or C/F price

Who knows.
Bahahahahaha! Sounds like the CO and UA FAs are going to have a smooth, seamless integration...
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:00 am

Programs: Hyatt, AA
Thanks, new United. While I've never had the pleasure of a C/F cabin ever, I switched my (1ce/month) TATL flights from LH to UA just for E+. I'm waiting for decent schedules to South India and E+ to be extended to CO metal before I switch those segments away from LH as well.

Preserving E+ = 1 more loyal biz traveler
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:07 am

Programs: CO Plat & MP 1K
This is a great decision -- I love having E+!
Old Feb 20, 2011, 6:03 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by rankourabu
sorry, nothing personal, but these kinda threats amuse me.
You really think COUA will care you leave?
Where are you gonna go, Delta, good luck using SkyPesos, the dAArk side? Thats it. out of choices.

Revenue gained from E+ = $
Revenue lost from removing 4 F seats that are being given away for free anyway = 0

$>0

The loss of what, maybe 1000?, disgruntled domestic flyers is negligible in this case, no matter how important you may think that this group is.
+1 and I would add "make sure to not let the door hit your behind"
Old Feb 20, 2011, 6:08 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
Unfortunately you are right. I was a plat on DL and moved to CO b/c redeeming skymiles is of course next to impossible. AA's fleet is full of dinosaurs and they won't do status match. Well like you said...that's it!
Actually, if DL or AA won't work out for him, I suppose the threatening whiner can always drive, walk, or swim, right?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by CJ99
Well, I suppose keeping people from poaching E+ adds some degree of difficulty, but she'll get used to it.
ANd she'll meet the UA very loyal flyers who probably outnumber the ones from CO, and who love E+
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nova08
Without trying to recline back in that armchair, does the airline make more money from someone that buys 4-8 F (domestic F) trips a year or 50 trips in coach?
Actually, if comparing 8 F seats to 50 discount Y purchases, I would bet the airline sees more money from the 8 F seat sales.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
sorry, nothing personal, but these kinda threats amuse me.
You really think COUA will care you leave?
Where are you gonna go, Delta, good luck using SkyPesos, the dAArk side? Thats it. out of choices.
Depends on his flying needs. Southwest is an option. And if domestic upgrades are his #1 concern, then Delta is a very good option.

But, I think all the doom and gloom is premature. The choice is 4 F seats or 6 Y seats. I don't see the math working out in favor of getting rid of the F seats. Especially when there is the option to sell them at check-in as fare buy-ups. You only need to get 50% more margin out of those 4 F seats to make up for the loss of 2 seats total.

Hell, it may not even be the same answer fleet-wide. Maybe some planes get more F, and some get more Y. With the new fare buy-up options, the airlines is probably wringing more money out of F, which makes it more attractive to keep.

Which also means the big driver of upgrade availability going forward won't be E+, but how the new UA operates fare buy-ups.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by raehl311
But, I think all the doom and gloom is premature. The choice is 4 F seats or 6 Y seats. I don't see the math working out in favor of getting rid of the F seats. Especially when there is the option to sell them at check-in as fare buy-ups.
Not quite that simple: there's now 40+ E+ seats which can be sold for a premium. E+ upsells are a nine-figure business for UA.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by raehl311
Depends on his flying needs. Southwest is an option.
Are you kidding? This guy was whining and threatening to leave because E+ will mean less F seats for him to upgrade to. I suppose WN would be an upgrade for him from the new UACO
Old Feb 20, 2011, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paytonc
Not quite that simple: there's now 40+ E+ seats which can be sold for a premium. E+ upsells are a nine-figure business for UA.
F sales are also probably a nine figure business for UA. And the first digit is likely higher than the first digit for E+ upsells.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.