Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:24 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by milemission
Any disadvantage of booking Hawaii? I have 4 TYP accounts to manage and don't want to wait until the last minute to get the 90k pts.(Since it is 2:1 now anyway) I am planning to get Hawaii with 50K up to $1000, have anyone book that one, which airline?

How about Europe for 60k? Thanks!
I did IND-HNL for Feb15 to Feb19 and it came out at about $1129. That took up 55k points as I was over the 1K limit by a few bucks but I had exactly 55K point and it brought me close enough to the 2 cents per point. Problem with Europe is the taxes will probably be way higher than a domestic redemption. Assuming you are interested in using the credit and not the flight.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scottsd
I am about ready to jump the gun on this and finally get it done.
Here's a tentative itinerary, please let me know what you think.
Since it is over the $1800 limit, I figure I'll have to buy some TYP,
at $50 per 5000 pts -- does that sound right???

Thanks
Scott
What makes you think it is $50 per 5000? Have you read the rules?

It is 0.025 per pt at 1000 increment to purchase pts. so at 5000 pts you are talking about $25 x 5 = $125
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mcgahat
I did IND-HNL for Feb15 to Feb19 and it came out at about $1129. That took up 55k points as I was over the 1K limit by a few bucks but I had exactly 55K point and it brought me close enough to the 2 cents per point. Problem with Europe is the taxes will probably be way higher than a domestic redemption. Assuming you are interested in using the credit and not the flight.
The tax and fee you paid become part of the ticket value and you get all that back minus tkt change fee of course. It just means you pay those upfront, but you get them back as part of the tkt value.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:32 pm
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
For those of you still looking for that magic $2800 number, I ran across these while looking for a $1800 # (on Expedia):

New York, NY (JFK) to Redding, CA (RDD)
11/25 & 11/30
$2,770.02 + $45.78 taxes & fees = $2,815.80

11:30 am Depart New York (JFK)
Arrive Redding (RDD) 8:43 pm Wed 25-Nov
United United 53 / 170 / 5556
Connect in Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO)

10:40 am Depart Redding (RDD)
Arrive New York (JFK) 9:57 pm Mon 30-Nov
United United 5481 / 870
Connect in San Francisco (SFO)

Lots m ore were listed, all around $2800.
-- Scott
Good one, Scott! But... The magic number (for the few who still qualify for it) is $2,700 base fare for the 90k TYP domestic business class redemption (for the SB/FMA cardholders and the Chairman's cardholders).
Old Feb 11, 2009, 1:06 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by demigawd
I just spoke with Thankyou and they are willing to honor the $2700 point cap because I'm a SB client (not FMA, though). I picked out some united flights that fit in the cap. However, they said that ALL United business class flights are refundable so I would get the refund in points. This thread mentioned that I should get non-refundable united business tickets, but that doesn't seem to be an option. How are you guys able to get non-refundable business tickets for United?
How can the travel agent verify you are a SB client?
Old Feb 11, 2009, 3:02 pm

Yeah, it ended up not working out the way I hoped. Only SB accounts that are linked to Thankyou are seen. And the only SB accounts that are linkable to Thankyou are the FMA (regular brokerage) accounts.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bmir
I have just over 150k points, so highest TY level I can reacj is the 140k ticket to Hawaii. While the cap used to be $4200 to Hawaii, I assume the new cap is now $2800.

As has been mentioned before, the challenge with Hawaii routings is to do it without having a first class leg - the UA + CO routing had no F, but I will try to find something on UA metal all the way.

Thanks for the tips!
Gotcha...I assume with these new rules, you are correct about the cap being $2800 for Hawaii. I'm still shocked that they pulled the rug out from under everyone with no notice, but even as I was redeeming my 90k award on Jan 27 or whatever, that thought was in my mind.

Still: for ease of change and perhaps to minimize fees, I'd look for all one airline's metal.

The main thing isn't whether a 2-cabin plane is involved: it's what Expedia returns for pricing when you click on Business class. I've seen lots of legit domestic routings posted here that maybe have one United p.s. segment in J and a bunch of normal UA/UX narrowbody metal seated in F. Expedia prices it as a Biz ticket, which makes it OK. I would guess that the same would hold true for Hawaii.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 6:35 pm

You are not over the limit.
The price shown at expedia (before tax and fees) includes the 7.5% excise tax. You have $101.99 more to go to reach the limit. The 1800 limit does apply to expedia base price if your agent is willing to price match tax and fees shown on expedia.
I am about ready to jump the gun on this and finally get it done.
Here's a tentative itinerary, please let me know what you think.
Since it is over the $1800 limit, I figure I'll have to buy some TYP,
at $50 per 5000 pts -- does that sound right???

Thanks
Scott

PS I only have CITIbank and Expedia accounts, plus a CITI Professional MC so I assume I am only eligible for the 2cpp vs 3. I also figure there's not enough time to open a SB accounts with the requisitie FMA card -- I checked the SB site and it seems I have to CALL to open an account, not do it online ??
Plus how long would it take to get that FMA card delivered anyway?

MY $1800 ITINERARY:

New York, NY (JFK) to Eureka, CA (ACV)
DELTA
11/24 & 11/30

$1,833.01 + $53.00 taxes & fees = $1,886.01

4:00 pm Depart New York (JFK)
Arrive Eureka (ACV) 8:55 pm Tue 24-Nov
Delta Delta 95 / 4699
Connect in Salt Lake City (SLC)

6:20 am Depart Eureka (ACV)
Arrive New York (JFK) 6:19 pm Mon 30-Nov
Delta Delta 4664 / 1254 / 164
Connect in Salt Lake City (SLC), Boston (Logan Intl.)

Last edited by michiganflyer; Feb 12, 2009 at 7:19 pm
Old Feb 11, 2009, 7:17 pm

UA International rebooking

So I am planning to do the Europe 180k TY points for $3600. I called UA for their cancelling policy regarding International->International. Here's what the agent told me

- Assuming a flight from JFK to London, the change fee is $200. (She said the change fee varies depend on routing)
- has to rebook within 1 year of original ticket date
- when I rebook for another international ticket, it does not matter if the booking class or routing is different.
- I can only rebook for myself, and cannot use any residue value for a 2nd passenger. E.g., I cannot split the $3600 into 2 $1700 tickets for me and my wife. My wife's ticket needs to be paid out of pocket in a separate reservation

The last point seems to contradict with what others are reporting.

I have tried different UA routings/dates on Expedia for JFK/SFO/LAX to LHR, but cannot come up with anything close to $3600. The max I can get is only $3100 + $4xx tax. Aslo tried Paris/Frankfurt and others and they are on the other end ($7000+). Anyone tried this?

Last edited by busterbaxter; Feb 11, 2009 at 7:37 pm
Old Feb 11, 2009, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by busterbaxter
So I am planning to do the Europe 180k TY points for $3600. I called UA for their cancelling policy regarding International->International. Here's what the agent told me

- Assuming a flight from JFK to London, the change fee is $200. (She said the change fee varies depend on routing)
- has to rebook within 1 year of original ticket date
- when I rebook for another international ticket, it does not matter if the booking class or routing is different.
- I can only rebook for myself, and cannot use any residue value for a 2nd passenger. E.g., I cannot split the $3600 into 2 $1700 tickets for me and my wife. My wife's ticket needs to be paid out of pocket in a separate reservation

The last point seems to contradict with what others are reporting.

I have tried different UA routings/dates on Expedia for JFK/SFO/LAX to LHR, but cannot come up with anything close to $3600. The max I can get is only $3100 + $4xx tax. Aslo tried Paris/Frankfurt and others and they are on the other end ($7000+). Anyone tried this?
Technically the rep is correct. Here is the (legal) workaround with UA: (as was told to me by UA)
Your credit must first be used by the ticketed traveler (you). Residual can be others. If there are two of you traveling together, book two separate itens then go to the airport for ticketing (yours first, get the residual value, then apply funds toward traveling companion).

As others have recommended, making the change online and waiting for the large $$ travel credit to arrive in the mail may be risky. If you can, go to the airport for the change of ticket.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by busterbaxter
Try IAD-GRU-- the Z fares are just below $3600 ($3570 something, I think) and tickets to SA are at the same TYP level as Europe. Fool around with the dates to make sure you can get the Z fare. Change fee is $200 I believe.

Can anyone confirm that for int'l flights, the taxes that TYP charges are exactly what expedia shows as opposed to the differential in the taxes shown for domestic flights? Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2009, 9:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by smk48
Can anyone confirm that for int'l flights, the taxes that TYP charges are exactly what expedia shows as opposed to the differential in the taxes shown for domestic flights? Thanks!
They did for me.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by ynguldyn
The voucher is the second page of the ticket book.
I looked at my second page and throughout the ticket and didnt see any voucher. Any help?

Has anyone received a paper ticket along with another envelope for the voucher? thanks!
Old Feb 12, 2009, 4:11 pm

Programs: aa, onepass, skymiles
Excise Taxes

Let me see if I understand this Excise Tax thing:

You (TRAVELLER) have to pay the 7.5% EXCISE TAX out of pocket.
The EXPEDIA displayed "BASE" ticket price includes Excise tax;

So, the MAX "FREE" ticket is displayed as $1935 = $1800 + $135 EXCISE.

TOTAL OUT OF POCKET IS MAX $135 EXCISE + the $40+ Taxes shown by Expedia.

Correct?

Thanks
Scott
Old Feb 12, 2009, 4:54 pm

I'd say that's a good development in light of the devaluation. At least we'll net a little more relative to out of pocket costs. If taxes are only $50-80 or whatever, that's better than $200, even if it does get added to the value of the ticket (makes it closer to "free").

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.