Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2009, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Is there any way in a multi-segment itinerary to book a segment in 'full fare economy' ?

Why?

Because on AA for example, a full fare ticket is allowed a 'free upgrade' to business class.

Some flights that I might use these days are actually way below the economy fare cap. Of course you put in a full fare ticket and it's way over the cap. If you get a segment or 2 in the full fare booking code, it might help out for those who actually want to use the tickets themselves.

I know this is not the best redemption, but, now that they're all 2 cents per point anyway, it's a thought.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 4:04 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by milemission
I redeemed two domestic RT ticket (20K points) that listed as $298 each in expedia last year (before I know about this and the lower I could find was south west $250). Total tax and fee came up to $92 for both. I asked about the tax and fee and was told they could not be reduced.

So did you just ask them to add the tax to the ticket price?
Thanks!
I asked them that for a domestic fixed point award a few weeks ago. I said that I heard others who did not have to pay the US ticket tax if the total was still under the $400 limit. She put me on hold, a couple of minutes later or less she came back and said OK.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 8:33 pm
sy7

Originally Posted by milemission
I redeemed two domestic RT ticket (20K points) that listed as $298 each in expedia last year (before I know about this and the lower I could find was south west $250). Total tax and fee came up to $92 for both. I asked about the tax and fee and was told they could not be reduced.

So did you just ask them to add the tax to the ticket price?
Thanks!
I say that the expedia taxes are displayed as much less, and I'm wondering why TYN doesn't charge me those taxes instead. The agent then looks up the flights on expedia (to see if the price listed is under $400), and then talks to a supervisor to get the okay to charge the expedia taxes. Very, very straightforward--I wonder if due to all the other changes, they are being lenient in this regard.

Also, UA provides free refares on all their tickets. If you purchase a current ticket that is $400, and the price (for the exact same flights) later drops to $300, you can get an UA voucher for $100 back (you need to request this, as this is NOT an automatic process). This works for some routes that are not currently on sale, but will likely go on sale at some point in the future (eg SFO-NYC for trips after May). Get what you currently need, and keep an eye on the fares.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 5:08 am

Programs: former {UA 1k // SPG Gold, HHonors Silver}, now starting up again
Voucher for UA?

I'm sure a flavor has been asked before but I couldn't find anything after searching.

I want to turn my TYP into UA credit, I'm looking for a UA C to Hawaii for $2800. I found a DEN-LAX-HNL-LAX-DEN routing on Expedia, with the DEN-LAX r/t on UA metal, and LAX-HNL on CO metal.

Is there any way to tell if my credit will be to UA or CO? Since UA operates the first leg of the flight, I would hope credit would go to UA, but is there any way to tell for sure?

Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2009, 8:54 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by bmir
I'm sure a flavor has been asked before but I couldn't find anything after searching.

I want to turn my TYP into UA credit, I'm looking for a UA C to Hawaii for $2800. I found a DEN-LAX-HNL-LAX-DEN routing on Expedia, with the DEN-LAX r/t on UA metal, and LAX-HNL on CO metal.

Is there any way to tell if my credit will be to UA or CO? Since UA operates the first leg of the flight, I would hope credit would go to UA, but is there any way to tell for sure?

Thanks!
No way to be 100% sure though usually agencies use the first carrier as the ticketing carrier. I would try to find an option using one and only one airline if you want to turn TYP's into a credit.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Bmir: are you just looking for credit? (Like the rest of us in this thread. ) Or are you actually planning on flying to Hawaii on those flights?

If credit is your goal, avoid Hawaii unless you're finding a $5000-ish ticket that meets the criteria in the original post of this thread. There has been some good discussion here about 90k TYP awards on UA that yield between $2600-2700 in net credit, which represents $2450-2550 in actual value to you for your points (factoring in the $150 change fee).

I made sure to keep mine simple: all UA metal, SFO-JFK-SFO in C, one direction inside a week and the other outside a week. That kicked out a nonrefundable $2633 base fare and it was instantly recognizable in both United.com and Expedia.com.

Some other guys here have pushed the envelope closer to $2699 with some more creative routings, but the one advantage to mine was that it was bread & butter for the TYP booking agent and I knew it wouldn't get screwed up.

EDIT: I *think* my math is right, but now I'm seeing people booking 90k / $1800 tickets. Did TYP devalue *again* in the past week?

Last edited by pinniped; Feb 11, 2009 at 10:10 am
Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:05 am

Some new information

I just spoke with Thankyou and they are willing to honor the $2700 point cap because I'm a SB client (not FMA, though). I picked out some united flights that fit in the cap. However, they said that ALL United business class flights are refundable so I would get the refund in points. This thread mentioned that I should get non-refundable united business tickets, but that doesn't seem to be an option. How are you guys able to get non-refundable business tickets for United?
Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:50 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by demigawd
I just spoke with Thankyou and they are willing to honor the $2700 point cap because I'm a SB client (not FMA, though). I picked out some united flights that fit in the cap. However, they said that ALL United business class flights are refundable so I would get the refund in points. This thread mentioned that I should get non-refundable united business tickets, but that doesn't seem to be an option. How are you guys able to get non-refundable business tickets for United?
Pull up 3-5Jul JFK-LAX, and the rules show that it's non-refundable. It's only a $1,948 base fare, though. I would suggest you look at the details on Expedia and NOT ask the TYP agent about the refundability of it.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
EDIT: I *think* my math is right, but now I'm seeing people booking 90k / $1800 tickets. Did TYP devalue *again* in the past week?
You are 10 days behind on your info. It is 2 cents per pt since beginning of Feb. No official words or announcement but it is well within the program rules to devaluate without notice.

Originally Posted by demigawd
Check the fare rules yourself instead of consulting TYN agents.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:32 am

If I cancel my itinerary and refund to citi how long will it take for my points to show up?
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond

If credit is your goal, avoid Hawaii unless you're finding a $5000-ish ticket that meets the criteria in the original post of this thread. There has been some good discussion here about 90k TYP awards on UA that yield between $2600-2700 in net credit, which represents $2450-2550 in actual value to you for your points (factoring in the $150 change fee).
Any disadvantage of booking Hawaii? I have 4 TYP accounts to manage and don't want to wait until the last minute to get the 90k pts.(Since it is 2:1 now anyway) I am planning to get Hawaii with 50K up to $1000, have anyone book that one, which airline?

How about Europe for 60k? Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:03 pm

Programs: former {UA 1k // SPG Gold, HHonors Silver}, now starting up again
Bmir: are you just looking for credit? (Like the rest of us in this thread. ) Or are you actually planning on flying to Hawaii on those flights?

I made sure to keep mine simple: all UA metal, SFO-JFK-SFO in C, one direction inside a week and the other outside a week. That kicked out a nonrefundable $2633 base fare and it was instantly recognizable in both United.com and Expedia.com.

Some other guys here have pushed the envelope closer to $2699 with some more creative routings, but the one advantage to mine was that it was bread & butter for the TYP booking agent and I knew it wouldn't get screwed up.

I have just over 150k points, so highest TY level I can reacj is the 140k ticket to Hawaii. While the cap used to be $4200 to Hawaii, I assume the new cap is now $2800.

As has been mentioned before, the challenge with Hawaii routings is to do it without having a first class leg - the UA + CO routing had no F, but I will try to find something on UA metal all the way.

Thanks for the tips!
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by ckpeter
A bit of good news to report back. Thanks to information from tygirl and jfkeze, I called TYN for partial point return. A gentleman S from the office of customer advocacy researched my issue and said that my points will be returned proportionally (based on the refund amount from the airline). The case will need to be reviewed by the compliance department to confirm that the fund has actually been refunded (remember, the TYN credit card also has a billing cycle, so they need to wait until the statement comes out), after which the points will be returned. The time frame I was told was up to 6 weeks, but usually in several weeks.

An interesting tidbit from chatting with S: the point return is done by a VP from Citibank, and he has a spreadsheet that has up to several thousand entries every month. He is apparently still working on the December return at the moment.

The whole conversation was very pleasant.
Found my own answer!! I can't wait 6 weeks, Citi offered me an exception to the 1800$ limit but I already redeemed the points yesterday... Wonder if they can do anything for me... The one time not procrastinating burns ME!
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:11 pm

Programs: aa, onepass, skymiles
$2800 Itineraries

For those of you still looking for that magic $2800 number, I ran across these while looking for a $1800 # (on Expedia):

New York, NY (JFK) to Redding, CA (RDD)
11/25 & 11/30
$2,770.02 + $45.78 taxes & fees = $2,815.80

11:30 am Depart New York (JFK)
Arrive Redding (RDD) 8:43 pm Wed 25-Nov
United United 53 / 170 / 5556
Connect in Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO)

10:40 am Depart Redding (RDD)
Arrive New York (JFK) 9:57 pm Mon 30-Nov
United United 5481 / 870
Connect in San Francisco (SFO)

Lots m ore were listed, all around $2800.
-- Scott
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:21 pm

Programs: aa, onepass, skymiles
Ready to go for $1800?

I am about ready to jump the gun on this and finally get it done.
Here's a tentative itinerary, please let me know what you think.
Since it is over the $1800 limit, I figure I'll have to buy some TYP,
at $50 per 5000 pts -- does that sound right???

Thanks
Scott

PS I only have CITIbank and Expedia accounts, plus a CITI Professional MC so I assume I am only eligible for the 2cpp vs 3. I also figure there's not enough time to open a SB accounts with the requisitie FMA card -- I checked the SB site and it seems I have to CALL to open an account, not do it online ??
Plus how long would it take to get that FMA card delivered anyway?

MY $1800 ITINERARY:

New York, NY (JFK) to Eureka, CA (ACV)
DELTA
11/24 & 11/30

$1,833.01 + $53.00 taxes & fees = $1,886.01

4:00 pm Depart New York (JFK)
Arrive Eureka (ACV) 8:55 pm Tue 24-Nov
Delta Delta 95 / 4699
Connect in Salt Lake City (SLC)

6:20 am Depart Eureka (ACV)
Arrive New York (JFK) 6:19 pm Mon 30-Nov
Delta Delta 4664 / 1254 / 164
Connect in Salt Lake City (SLC), Boston (Logan Intl.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.