Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2009, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by susieling
This is a breaking news! So besides citiGold banking relationship, would you mind sharing what else account you registered with your TYP program? thanks!
My wife has 3 Diamond Preferred, a Professional, a CitiBusiness and an AT&T Universal Rewards.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 5:19 am

Programs: UA 1K
As a data point, I was able to change my UA reservation online last week (but didn't) for a July itinerary booked with 90K points. Now I get the "We cannot process this change online." message for the same itinerary. I guess I'll visit the airport.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT (2MM+); Steerage in most other airline programs; SPG GLD; heckuva guy
After Change, TYP Res Still on UA.com

So, this afternoon at the airport I changed my TYP reservation to the reservation I wanted. The ticket agent was very harried and had little experience with this, but he was able to ticket the change and issue me a paper voucher for the balance.

I just logged in to UA.com, and the old reservation I booked with TYP points is still there, as is the new one.

Dare I try to double dip and cancel the original reservation again on UA.com by using the "change" button, and rebook a new ticket for a different itinerary, and see if they send me a second voucher?

Goph
Old Mar 8, 2009, 7:22 pm

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Originally Posted by gopherblue
I just logged in to UA.com, and the old reservation I booked with TYP points is still there, as is the new one.

Dare I try to double dip and cancel the original reservation again on UA.com by using the "change" button, and rebook a new ticket for a different itinerary, and see if they send me a second voucher?

Goph
The old reservation that you see under your itineraries on UA.com is just a "reservation" and is no ticket. The ticket attached with that reservation has been "detached" from it and has already been changed to your new reservation and the balance has been issued as the voucher. Good luck with your attempt!
Old Mar 9, 2009, 9:32 pm

just booked tickets using continental credit thru the phone. had the same problem online as i had on delta, would get to the payment page but would not process the itinerary - an error message popped up asking me to call in. a friendly agent processed it w/o the $25 expedia fee, so it's totally ymmv (had called in 20 min earlier to get the confirmation number as it was changed when the original itinerary was split b/w 2 passengers, and was told by the first agent that there WOULD be a $25 expedia fee). the agent was not able to give me the ETC pin number, but v helpfully suggested that i book the tickets for add'l passengers online, and when i got to the payment page to provide her w/the confirmation number (viewable when you click the call for help button), and she could then add the ETC w/o the $15/passenger phone fee. in retrospect i probably should have paid the fee so that i might have gotten the pts on ppe, but i didnt realize it at the time (just thought of it now as i'm typing this up). hmmm...

ETA: a v nice supervisor very accomodatingly added the phone fee of $15/passenger to the ticket (had not ticketed yet, yay!), so i should hopefully get the ppe pts credit for the 2 additional passengers never thought i would beg to be charged extra fees LOL something to note tho, phone reservations are NOT considered continental.com reservations and as such may only earn 50% EQM on discounted economy tickets (for those who trying to earn EQM's)

Last edited by brownie20; Mar 9, 2009 at 10:51 pm
Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by mtimoney
The fee was removed since I had already paid it, and they are refunding me the 75 with the new card. I think others like me applied for the PPE to get the bonus points and be eligible for flat rate redemption. I didnt really need the card for any other reason (especially now that I have an 1800 credit on United). I just posted my info for anybody else that really didnt need the card, but paid the 75 annual fee to get enough points.
Nothing personal, but it's still not anything unusual. With PPE you pay the annual fee upfront and if you cancel or downgrade anytime within the next 11 months you will receive a pro-rated refund. I once downgraded about 2 months before my year was up and received $12 and change as a refund of my membership fee back to my card. Since you downgraded so soon after opening the PPE you received a full refund of the annual fee that you had just paid. And with your downgraded card you will only earn 1 point for every 3 miles flown and no double points for everday spend categories.

Best would be to have the annual fee on PPE waived and to receive a retention bonus of 3-5 points per $1 .

(Sorry for replying so many days later but I haven't checked in the past few days - I was dealing with withdrawal symptoms resulting from the termination of TYN fixed flight redemptions and I successfully cleaned out my account )
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:29 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by r0man
I was able to redeem 40K TYP for SJU-ALB around Christmas last night (Friday, March 7th) for $789 +taxes/fees. The agent mentioned that my account is eligible for Fixed Flight Redemptions until 3/31/09. I hope someone finds this info useful.

I was also able to redeem 90K TYP for a $2700 fixed flight on my wife's account on 3/5. I was expecting a $1800 cap, but the agent mentioned something about Smith Barney told me that cap was $2700. I bring this up because we don't have any Smith Barney accounts. We do have a Citigold banking relationship, which I assume did the trick.
Originally Posted by susieling
This is a breaking news! So besides citiGold banking relationship, would you mind sharing what else account you registered with your TYP program? thanks!
Yeah, either this is breaking news, or you should have bought the lottery that day! I've read quite a number of posts where people who had CitiGold banking relationships were denied 3cpp redemptions - only SmithBarney and Chairman accounts were allowed.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 12:10 pm

i have a couple of non-refundable CO flights booked (thanks to all the advice on this thread), and i wanted to check which process people were recommending regarding cancelling and rebooking.

i have a completely different itinerary that i want to change one of the booked flights to, but i'm still unclear whether it is best doing that online via the "change flights" button, or via the "cancel" button first; or by going to a Continental booking desk at my local airport (i'm hoping it doesn't have to be the airport that i will be flying from or that the ticket is currently booked to fly from, cause neither are accessible to me at the moment).

apologies if these questions seem simplistic to those who have already done all this, but i'd hate to get it wrong after all the hard work.

thanks in advance.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 9:50 am

Programs: Silver Level: DL, Non-Elite: AS, UA, AA, WN
Can anyone give me a hint about something?

I have DL ticket booked with a large credit on my name (via a non-refundable Citi reservation). However, my flights are all in a row for pretty much the next year. So I want to use the credit in my name for someone else. What is the best way of getting the credit reissued so that I can use the remainder for a flight in someone else's name.

Here are my considerations:

1) Book a non-refundable ticket for the smallest amount possible. EG: Some sort of shuttle route that's $40. Haven't found one yet, but I assume somewhere there will be a SJC-LAS type fare that DL is competing with. With that cheap flight, just never take it, but it should in theory, create a reissue that makes the ticket bookable in anyone's name.

2) Book a refundable ticket that I may or may not actually use like SFO-BOS and then change it to a CHEAPER non-refundable fare when I'm sure and get a second voucher to use later. Like the first option, the re-booking should create a reissue that lets me buy a ticket for my friend.
------------

Does anyone have experience with this?

If there's no one who's actually done this, can someone points out some possible pitfalls. I'm not that familiar with the reissuing process and an idea of why this would or wouldnt work would be helpful.

Last edited by Khabibul35; Mar 15, 2009 at 12:54 pm Reason: clarification for moondog
Old Mar 15, 2009, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Both options work fine, but I fail to see why stated "refundable ticket" in option 2 (if you're going to use it, non-refundable is okay, right?)

Originally Posted by Khabibul35
Can anyone give me a hint about something?

I have DL ticket booked with a large credit on my name (via a non-refundable Citi reservation). However, my flights are all in a row for pretty much the next year. So I want to use the credit in my name for someone else. What is the best way of getting the credit reissued so that I can use the remainder for a flight in someone else's name.

Here are my considerations:

1) Book a non-refundable ticket for the smallest amount possible. EG: Some sort of shuttle route that's $40. Haven't found one yet, but I assume somewhere there will be a SJC-LAS type fare that DL is competing with. With that cheap flight, just never take it, but it should in theory, create a reissue that makes the ticket bookable in anyone's name.

2) Book a refundable ticket that I can actually use like SFO-BOS and then change it to a CHEAPER non-refundable fare come time, and get a second voucher to use later. Like the first option, the re-booking should create a reissue that lets me buy a ticket for my friend.
------------

Does anyone have experience with this?

If there's no one who's actually done this, can someone points out some possible pitfalls. I'm not that familiar with the reissuing process and an idea of why this would or wouldnt work would be helpful.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 2:58 pm

Programs: aa, onepass, skymiles
Delta itinerary no longer changeable online

Just got an email from TYN informing me that my itinerary had changed.
Went to Delta.com, clicked on the itinerary I had booked; when I tried to change flights (as a test to see how much my credit would be), I got this message:

"Unable to Edit Itinerary Online: This itinerary cannot be edited online because
you may have checked in for some flights, or the schedule for certain flights
in this itinerary may have changed. Go Back to My Itineraries to view or edit other itineraries. Please call Delta Reservation Sales at 800-221-1212 for assistance."

So it seems I am now stuck calling Delta when it comes time to cancel/change my originbal flight and claim my eCredits.

Anyone else have this experience?

Scott
Old Mar 16, 2009, 3:45 pm

Programs: QR Plat, NZ*E, LT AA Plat, LT Bonvoy Plat + countless others
Originally Posted by friedablass
Yonly SmithBarney and Chairman accounts were allowed.
Hi, can anybody confirm the Chairman redemption is valid until 3/31. I figure it's worth buying the 10k points i need to get to 90k, if this is the case...
Old Mar 16, 2009, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gekko
Hi, can anybody confirm the Chairman redemption is valid until 3/31. I figure it's worth buying the 10k points i need to get to 90k, if this is the case...
You can call them first and if it is the case you can buy your pts at the spot.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 12:56 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by scottsd
So it seems I am now stuck calling Delta when it comes time to cancel/change my originbal flight and claim my eCredits.
Just to warn you, they're probably going to tell you that you need to talk to Expedia... and then they'll tell you that you need to call ThankYou. If you've got the time, making a trip to the airport can be the easiest way to take care of it.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 7:05 am

UA's terrible refund process

Just an FYI, I made changes to 2 UA tickets in early February that (should have) resulted in the issuance of a travel credit voucher. They were supposed to be mailed within 3 weeks, but they never came. If you're waiting on UA travel vouchers, it's not a bad idea to call in and verify that the refund was actually processed.

When I called yesterday, I talked to an International Reservations CSR who couldn't find any note associated with my tickets that a refund/voucher request had even been processed.

I was transferred to the Refund department. That CSR said he would re-process the refund request, and it would take 3 "working weeks." If I don't receive them within that time, I can call again and try to find "another solution". I asked what other options we had, whether I could pick up the voucher at the airport. I was told no-go, but after being placed on hold, the CSR offered to refund my credit card. That obviously wouldn't work, since it would go back onto TYN's credit card. I never thought to ask if I could have it refunded to a different card.

This whole refund policy is quite terrible. Paper?!?! It's 2009!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.