Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2009, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rogue409
This whole refund policy is quite terrible. Paper?!?! It's 2009!
AA also does it in paper voucher, so UA is not alone. You dont like paper voucher, then dont fly AA or UA, go with DL and CO.

That is the reason WHY so many advise to do the reticketing at airport and get the residual vouchers right at the spot, esp for those whose voucher value is in the few thousand $ range.

No one who opted to do it at airport has reported such difficuty. Some dont even need to do rebooking, just a simple cancellation and got back full value in form of PAPER Voucher.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 3:07 pm

Thought I'd provide some data points for Delta since I haven't seen them discussed much.

- I called Delta and canceled my ticket without any issues.
- I was told I have 1 year from the date of ticket issue to use the e-ticket balance.
- I have that balance less the $150 ticket change fee, plus a $50 external ticket handling fee since the ticket was booked by Expedia and not Delta. So, I'll have the balance less $200 at the time when I book the ticket I actually want to use.
- I have to use the balance to book a ticket in my name first, and can then use the remaining balance, i.e. e-credit, to book a ticket for someone else, including booking online.
- Related to that last point, I cannot use the e-ticket balance to book my first ticket online and have to call Delta to get that done.

I know some of that info is not necessarily new information, but I was surprised to learn that there's a $50 fee in addition to the $150 change fee.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ahself
I know some of that info is not necessarily new information, but I was surprised to learn that there's a $50 fee in addition to the $150 change fee.
I've never been hit with the $50 fee (I use Delta.com; only talk with humans in rare instances).
Old Mar 17, 2009, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
I've never been hit with the $50 fee (I use Delta.com; only talk with humans in rare instances).
Me too. However, since you can't initially use the e-ticket online to book the ticket you actually want to use and the original ticket was booked by an outside travel agent, i.e. Expedia, the $50 fee applies.

After talking with two different agents who told me the same thing, I also found reference to that $50 fee here.

External Tickets
An additional charge applies if you would like us to change a ticket that we didn't issue.
The charge is:
  • Waived if the change can be completed here at delta.com.
  • $50 for tickets changed through Reservations Sales.
  • $50 for tickets changed at one of our Ticket Office Locations.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by ahself
Me too. However, since you can't initially use the e-ticket online to book the ticket you actually want to use and the original ticket was booked by an outside travel agent, i.e. Expedia, the $50 fee applies.
Sure, you can. Just go to your reservation, change to flights you want to take, and then reprice.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 4:29 pm

Sure, you can. Just go to your reservation, change to flights you want to take, and then reprice.
I think you missed this part from my original post.

I called Delta and canceled my ticket without any issues.
I booked a ticket scheduled to depart soon and I don't have anywhere to go, yet - so, I canceled the ticket.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 4:32 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
can someone list the steps/mechanics of doing this online at DL:

Right now I have two itins that I will not fly. I also have a short flight from DTW to DCA that I actually need to fly. So, when I retrieve one of my two itins at delta.com, do I cancel and then book the DTW-DCA flight? When I cancel, is an electronic voucher (minus the $150) just issued to my account and then it acts as money and THEN can book and pay for my DTW-DCA flight? Then, with the difference (should around $1,500), I can book tickets for me and my family to spend it all, without being hit another with $150 fee...I am a little confused on the specific process involved. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2009, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by gpapadop
cSo, when I retrieve one of my two itins at delta.com, do I cancel and then book the DTW-DCA flight?
No, you shouldn't cancel. Rather, you should simply change one of your reservations to flight you want to take. IIRC, just pull it up under "my itins" and go from there.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 6:02 pm

not sure you're able to actually change delta flights online. i posted a few weeks ago about my experience changing a delta flight - got to the last step and then received an error message, asking me to call a certain 800 number. it seemed like it would go thru (changing flights online), but no matter how many times i tried, it wouldnt the rep i spoke w/ at the 800 number tho didnt mention the $50 fee and changed it for me for just the regular change fee

had the same experience w/a continental ticket recently. agent i changed flights w/also didnt charge the extra fee, just the change fee. of course YMMV. good luck!
Old Mar 17, 2009, 6:19 pm

sort of unrelated question for all you ppe experts. apparently we are limited to earning 100,000 thankyou points a year. so if we fly say 60,000 miles and only spend $40K, we should get 80K tranferred to thankyou that year. what happens to the remaining 20,000 miles flown -are they rolled over to the next year or do they disappear? also, what if it's 60,000 miles and $60K. 50K miles and 50K spending would transfer for a total of 100K, but would the extra 10K spending transfer? thanks in advance!
Old Mar 17, 2009, 6:22 pm
zlc

Originally Posted by brownie20
not sure you're able to actually change delta flights online. i posted a few weeks ago about my experience changing a delta flight - got to the last step and then received an error message, asking me to call a certain 800 number. it seemed like it would go thru (changing flights online), but no matter how many times i tried, it wouldnt the rep i spoke w/ at the 800 number tho didnt mention the $50 fee and changed it for me for just the regular change fee

had the same experience w/a continental ticket recently. agent i changed flights w/also didnt charge the extra fee, just the change fee. of course YMMV. good luck!
I had the exact same experience, went to almost the last step, then the error message, had to call, the rep didn't mention the $50 fee, but afterwards, I noticed on my receipt the total fee was $200.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 6:32 pm

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by brownie20
sort of unrelated question for all you ppe experts. apparently we are limited to earning 100,000 thankyou points a year. so if we fly say 60,000 miles and only spend $40K, we should get 80K tranferred to thankyou that year. what happens to the remaining 20,000 miles flown -are they rolled over to the next year or do they disappear? also, what if it's 60,000 miles and $60K. 50K miles and 50K spending would transfer for a total of 100K, but would the extra 10K spending transfer? thanks in advance!

On your second question the extra 10k in spending is "gone"
Old Mar 17, 2009, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, you shouldn't cancel. Rather, you should simply change one of your reservations to flight you want to take. IIRC, just pull it up under "my itins" and go from there.
Unless you have done this successful recently, all the way thru the ticketing step, I would not count on this.

2 posters have posted right after your post, about how they got to the last step of actually ticketing the new itinerary, and received error messages. Both had to call to get the new tickets issued. Brownie said she was not charged the $50, zlc said he was, as his receipt showed $200 fee, instead of $150.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by havenguyz
On your second question the extra 10k in spending is "gone"
thanks for the quick reply! i meant to ask before if the extra 10K would roll over to the next year, not "transfer," but i guess it's just lost either way - good to know!
Old Mar 17, 2009, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by zlc
I had the exact same experience, went to almost the last step, then the error message, had to call, the rep didn't mention the $50 fee, but afterwards, I noticed on my receipt the total fee was $200.
i'm sorry, it really is YMMV i imagine but on the plus side it was only a $200 change fee, mine was $250

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.