Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2009, 2:23 pm

Programs: Silver Level: DL, Non-Elite: AS, UA, AA, WN
GV, I started a new thread regarding this. I found very similar fares for CO, AA, etc but nothing that beat your DL fare.
Old May 6, 2009, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
STL-ORD is a reliable AA or UA throwaway. Usually $50-60 all in, standalone one way ticket. I just plugged it in for June 11th (a random date) and it's there for both of those two.

Seems like all of my airlines have been sending me "$45 one way" emails lately, so there are probably other options. Look for a WN-heavy market for fares that are true standalone one-ways with no R/T required.
Old May 14, 2009, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
AA does not charge you the ticketing fee when you have to pay the change fee. At least that is my experience. I changed my ticket at city travel center, the agent only charged the $150 change fee. I asked, she said only the highest fee applied. The same has been verified by several posters on AA forum in the past. You may be able to find the posts using search.

Also, AA does not charge the ticketing fee the next time you use the residual voucher for another ticket. I just did this 3 weeks ago.

Besides, the maximum ticketing fee you would incur, if that is the case, would be $20 for the first ticket, given the second ticket would be from the residual voucher, no ticketing fee if the OC voucher is the payment form.

Therefore, all you lose, is your time. I certainly would ticket at the counter if my residual voucher would worth couple thousand bucks, as you already know, if the voucher is lost in mail, it is LOST. The voucher is just like CASH - if AA said it issued it, mailed it, but you haven't received it - too bad.
Just to share my experience, I wasn't so fortunate as Happy and some others. I asked the ticket agent at the time of re-booking about waiving the counter fee because the $150 change fee is higher and she just looked at me blankly saying they have to charge the booking fee for any counter purchase. I think it was $35, so it was only $15 more than the phone booking fee of $20, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things I suppose.

One question though. How important is the actual paper voucher? I figured you only needed the 'Stock Control Number' from the paper voucher so if you did lose it, you just need to reference that # for future bookings. Is this accurate?

Last edited by Fold0rDie; May 14, 2009 at 8:12 pm
Old May 14, 2009, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fold0rDie
One question though. How important is the actual paper voucher? I figured you only needed the 'Stock Control Number' from the paper voucher so if you did lose it, you just need to reference that # for future bookings. Is this accurate?
ASFAIK AA paper voucher is same as cash. You lose it, there is no way to replace it. I never heard of you can use "stock control number" to represent a paper voucher, and do not want to have a chance to find out whether it is true or not.
Old May 14, 2009, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
ASFAIK AA paper voucher is same as cash. You lose it, there is no way to replace it. I never heard of you can use "stock control number" to represent a paper voucher, and do not want to have a chance to find out whether it is true or not.
Well, I guess my question is, how would you book over the phone then Sage of the Airlines

Are all future residual purchases done only at the counter then where you might need proof of the paper voucher?
Old May 14, 2009, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fold0rDie
Well, I guess my question is, how would you book over the phone then Sage of the Airlines

Are all future residual purchases done only at the counter then where you might need proof of the paper voucher?
You can book online, and then call AA reservation, tell them you will use a voucher. Then they will give you instruction where to send your voucher to. Once AA receives the voucher, it will apply the value to the reservation which will then change status from Purchase to Ticketed. Residual value will be sent back to you in another voucher - therefore extend the life of the voucher for another year from the date it is issued. If you choose this method, you cannot book a trip that departs in 14 days as it takes time to handle the voucher payment.

Or, if you are like me, who does not trust the USPS to handle my cash equivalent in thousands of dollars, trot down to the airport to ticket it. I am sorry to learn the agent charged you $35 for the first rebooking. I believe the agent made an error in charging you the ticketing fee. We did not get charged. If you do a search in AA forum on this topic, you probably will find past posts about AA NOT charge ticketing fee when payment made by a cancelled ticket credit.

I do know the 2nd and subsequent tickets there is NO counter ticketing fee when paid by the residual voucher. It is verified by another FTer and my own experience - I did it in late March. However, if you use the voucher to buy something other than ticket, such as an upgrade sticker, the new residual voucher would LOSE its characteristic, and turn into a DIFFERENT TYPE of voucher - and you will pay counter ticketing fee.

Here is the link for AA Wiki. Voucher is the last alpha on the Wiki.

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php...rican_Airlines

Though it mainly talks about Transportation Vouchers (from being bumped), not the residual value voucher from cancelled tickets, some information such as the Cash equivalent part and the mailing address still apply.

Last edited by Happy; May 14, 2009 at 9:45 pm
Old May 14, 2009, 10:20 pm

Once again, thank you O Wise One. Your post clarified everything!
Old May 20, 2009, 5:22 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond
need clarification of expiration date of DL ecredit

searched and did not find....posted in Delta forum a few days ago, no reply so hoping someone here knows the answer....My Delta ecredit expires on Sept 5, 2009. Does that mean I can book a flight up until that time, paying by ecredit by Sept 5, and the flight can be as long as 330 days after that date? Or must I fly by Sept 5?
Thanks!
Old May 20, 2009, 5:43 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by budblab
searched and did not find....posted in Delta forum a few days ago, no reply so hoping someone here knows the answer....My Delta ecredit expires on Sept 5, 2009. Does that mean I can book a flight up until that time, paying by ecredit by Sept 5, and the flight can be as long as 330 days after that date? Or must I fly by Sept 5?
Thanks!
Yes! You need to book by Sept 5. You can fly after that.
Old May 27, 2009, 6:26 pm

Hi all,

I appologize in advance if this has been covered (and i'm sure it has), but I've spent at least 30 minutes reading through posts and haven't found a clear answer.

I have a few question...

* It seems as though if I book a ticket through TY on UA, I WILL get EQM for the flight (double eqm's on UA right now too), is that correct?
* It looks like there was a sweet loophole around buying a non-refundable ticket and then cancelling it to get the credits up until March, but it seems that I have missed that. There's no way to take advantage of that anymore, is there?
* followup: Is it best to just take whatever flight I actually want to fly and go with that? or is there another way to work the system now?
* Is there any way I can use TY credit to bump up a (domestic) flight from coach to first? Can I book a ticket in first directly? Or is that just a terrible idea?

Thanks much!
Steven
Old May 31, 2009, 11:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I think I can answer most of your points, except the first one about UA because I'm totally unfamiliar with UA - mayber another FTer can answer that for you.

Originally Posted by skisteven1
Hi all,

I appologize in advance if this has been covered (and i'm sure it has), but I've spent at least 30 minutes reading through posts and haven't found a clear answer.

I have a few question...

* It seems as though if I book a ticket through TY on UA, I WILL get EQM for the flight (double eqm's on UA right now too), is that correct?
* It looks like there was a sweet loophole around buying a non-refundable ticket and then cancelling it to get the credits up until March, but it seems that I have missed that. There's no way to take advantage of that anymore, is there?

I believe there isn't any possible way of taking advantage of that loophole anymore because fixed flights has been discontinued so you basically 'buy' flights on Expedia with your TYP's for 1 cpp including all taxes and fees - unless there's some new way of milking the system that has been uncovered, but I don't know about yet, then the short answer is NO

* followup: Is it best to just take whatever flight I actually want to fly and go with that? or is there another way to work the system now?

The answer would basically be the same as above - and yes, you should probably cash in your TYP's for flights you will fly and go with that.

* Is there any way I can use TY credit to bump up a (domestic) flight from coach to first? Can I book a ticket in first directly? Or is that just a terrible idea?

No, you cannot use TYP's for an upgrade. However, you can use airline mileage to upgrade an economy ticket purchased with TYP's (but know the rules of each airline with regard to which booking classes can be upgraded, if there are any fees in addition to miles, etc...). You can 'buy' First or Business directly with TYP's if your willing to fork over that many points - the cost will be whatever it prices out on Expedia x100 points, so for example a $2000 fare would cost your 200,000 points.

Thanks much!
Steven
Old Jun 6, 2009, 7:57 am

Schedule change and $140 drop in Fare on a nonrefundable CO Trip-

We booked 5 CO tickets using my TY Points and the flights have had a few minor schedule changes as well as dropped in price by $140 each, can I use the schedule change to cancel the tickets and request a travel certificate then rebook those tickets for all 5 people. Will that leave me with a useable $700 in Travel Vouchers for whomever I wish.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
I did a CO redemption and may need to cancel and rebook soon. Is is better to cancel and rebook over phone or over airport counter? Also is there a way to get the $150 change fee waived (my itinerary didn't have a major schedule change yet)? TIA.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 1:26 am

Programs: RA
hi all
I stay at saudi arbia
I have visa & master card
How do I get a membership priortiy Club and Visa?
thanks
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:57 pm
HCA

Let me try the first one.

Most tickets/fare should do. (check fare rule)
(I don't beleive you can easily find a "more" discounted fare in Expedia/TY that does not earn EQM)

Originally Posted by friedablass
I think I can answer most of your points, except the first one about UA because I'm totally unfamiliar with UA - mayber another FTer can answer that for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.