Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2009, 5:13 pm

Programs: aa, onepass, skymiles
Get value from existing DL rez?

I would like to use my existing DL Bus Class rez (the one I made thru TYN for 90K pts) for my son's upcoming travel, but don't have any immediate need for travel for myself.

My understanding is that you must first change your itinerary to something you really intend to fly, and this changed rez must be in your name, before you can use the residual value for a rez in someone else's name.

Does anyone know if there is a way to rebook and get that residual value without rebooking to a new itin in your name?

I thought of perhaps rebooking to something cheap and refundable (eg a shuttle flight somewhere), then later cancelling that itin, but I am not sure where the refund would go -- would that go back to TYN?

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Scott
Old Mar 29, 2009, 5:47 am

DL eCredit

Originally Posted by j3brooklyn
Used my $2676 from TYP redemption on DL yesterday...Seems to suggest that the eCredit is valid for a year from the date that you convert the canceled eTicket into a voucher and a they issue an eCredit.
Thanks for that info. Having a DL TYP ticket myself, I appreciate others' experiences with DL as I consider what I will be doing to turn that ticket into usable credit.
Scott
Old Mar 30, 2009, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by dinosims
There is the Coupon Connection on here that does exactly that, but IIRC you need 90 posts in order to access it.

Sooo....keep posting!
Thanks for that info!
Scott
Old Apr 1, 2009, 11:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
Do Something Wrong?

Question.

Got a couple ThankYou redemptions at $2700 and $2900 with the intent to convert to value. Cancelled both with Delta on the phone. Have eTickets. Chose to book throw-away ticket to have value issued. ($39 MSP-CHI). After $100 change fee, $50 takeover fee and ticket cost I thought they would mail vouchers. Delta rep said no vouchers are issued anymore only electronic vouchers. I was expecting a paper voucher to 'exchange' on flea bay or coupon connection.

Any experiences appreciated with Delta.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 11:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
Shoot. Only 23 posts since 2005. Guess coupon connection is dead for me.
I'll add another post with this tale.

I will be writing a letter to Delta to gripe. I believe they actively block you from changing, canceling or rebooking Expedia (and others) on their website.

I attempted to use my eTicket on Delta.com to rebook a flight. There is a place to put in your prior cancelled ticket to pay for the new. If you put in your eticket with an INCORRECT name it will FIND your eticket and tell you the name you entered is not correct. If you put in the correct prior eticket and correct name it tells you 'so sorry'.

Of course the gripe is that if you have to book with a Delta agent you're picking up a $50 takeover fee and a $20 phone booking fee. They block you to generate revenue from my experience.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 9:37 pm

Both accounts were negative after the purchases were returned (the purchase was to bring the total points over 90k).
Originally Posted by Happy
My guess is (c).

Flight points do not come into picture until there are purchase pts to match with it, so the 5K flight pts would be out of the picture until you have made up the deficeit of the negative 5K purchase pt, and then any new purchase pts add from that pt, would trigger release of flight pts.

Also your -5K purchase pts would definitely be transferred to your TYN account and reduce the balance. I dont know if your TYN account has low bal, would it create a negative bal in your TYN account?

Not sure if TYN system has built in design to match negative purchase pt with previous released flight pt. My guess is, the already released flight pts would stay.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 9:38 am

Programs: Silver Level: DL, Non-Elite: AS, UA, AA, WN
Schedule changes

I just had a schedule change, which renders my itinerary unusable (not that I was going to use it anyway). Now, I'd love to call DELTA and have them issue an eCredit and not charge the change fee, but I'm wondering if they might attempt to issue a refund (whether it's to be nice or because it's standard procedure). I'm kind of afraid of this happening so can anyone give any tips as to how to proceed with this?
Old Apr 2, 2009, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Khabibul35
I just had a schedule change, which renders my itinerary unusable (not that I was going to use it anyway). Now, I'd love to call DELTA and have them issue an eCredit and not charge the change fee, but I'm wondering if they might attempt to issue a refund (whether it's to be nice or because it's standard procedure). I'm kind of afraid of this happening so can anyone give any tips as to how to proceed with this?
It might be safest to go to the airport in this case and ask for the voucher (or e-voucher code) right there from them. I was thinking about how to do it as well when there was a schedule change as that's how I plan on getting around the $150 change fee for my Dec scheduled flights.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 11:38 am

Just an update for my $1800 UA ticket

I had originally booked the LAS-JFK, which included a code share with US Airways somewhere in the mix. Happy had mentioned he wasn't sure how things would work regarding the cancellation fees, but everything came out just fine and dandy.

I called instead of going to the airport, and paid the $25 expedia change ownership fee, in addition to the $150 change fee. The first time I called, I was told that I could not do anything with UA, and had to contact expedia directly. Second time I called, I was told the same thing, but I kept telling them I don't mind paying the cancellation fees, and they were able to manually change my itinerary.

Total for me was $1799 + $184 taxes and fees (out of pocket) minus the $175 change fee and the cost of my new ticket. Too bad it wasnt $2700....but you snooze you lose. Now on to the next great credit card deal....
Old Apr 3, 2009, 5:44 pm

Programs: Former business traveler now working from home
Using UA residual value for other passenger

I stopped by the United ticketing counter at BWI today to try and cash in the ticket purchased for me as a TYP redemption. I had a reservation on hold for me and one other passenger.

I was unsuccessful. The agent told me that he could only apply funds from a ticket in my name to another ticket in my name.

I asked if he could exchange the TYP ticket for a ticket in my name plus a voucher that I could then use for another passenger's booking. But both the agent and a supervisor were adamant that since tickets are nontransferable, they could not do that: a residual value voucher from a ticket in my name could only be used for future tickets in my name.

Is this a change in UA policy, or just my bad luck?

After exchanging their original ticket for themselves, have other FTers been able to use their residual value to ticket other passengers?
Old Apr 3, 2009, 11:27 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by stupenal
Just an update for my $1800 UA ticket

I had originally booked the LAS-JFK, which included a code share with US Airways somewhere in the mix. Happy had mentioned he wasn't sure how things would work regarding the cancellation fees, but everything came out just fine and dandy.

I called instead of going to the airport, and paid the $25 expedia change ownership fee, in addition to the $150 change fee. The first time I called, I was told that I could not do anything with UA, and had to contact expedia directly. Second time I called, I was told the same thing, but I kept telling them I don't mind paying the cancellation fees, and they were able to manually change my itinerary.

Total for me was $1799 + $184 taxes and fees (out of pocket) minus the $175 change fee and the cost of my new ticket. Too bad it wasnt $2700....but you snooze you lose. Now on to the next great credit card deal....
Did they deduct the change fees from the value of the voucher or did you have to pay more out of pocket?

LAX
Old Apr 5, 2009, 2:55 pm

gregorygrady --

My DL schedule change was actually just a change in flight # -- the actual flight times did not change at all. So I figured I would get nowhere asking DL to cancel the flight without a change fee.

I guess I'll just have to wait til a more substantive change happens.
Scott
Old Apr 5, 2009, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
... I was thinking about how to do it as well when there was a schedule change as that's how I plan on getting around the $150 change fee for my Dec scheduled flights.
Good thing you (me as well) made our original rez months away -- we have the rest of the year to figure out how to actually redeem these suckers.
Scott
Old Apr 5, 2009, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by CVG_Kid
If you put in your eticket with an INCORRECT name it will FIND your eticket and tell you the name you entered is not correct...
Good tip!
I'll have to remember that for when I have a go at changing my tik.
Scott
Old Apr 5, 2009, 3:11 pm

Book a refundable fare and then cancel ??

Does anyone know if you can use your BC rez to book a refundable fare, thsu getting an eVoucher for the balance; then cancel that refundable flight and get a refund, perhaps into a 2nd eVoucher?

If anyone's done this, esp in DL, I'd appreciate hearing your experience.
Thanks
Scott

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.