Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2009, 7:05 pm

There is no trick to get flight points with the canceled tickets.

I canceled my Continental tickets and paid my cancellation fees using my Premier Pass Elite Credit Card and I got thank you flight points for it. Original ticket was booked using thank you points (fixed points) and taxes were paid using the same premier pass card, but the original tax didn't come as a flight purchase. But this cancellation fees came as a flight purchase and I got the thank you points.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 8:15 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by nj4876
There is no trick to get flight points with the canceled tickets.
Well, isn't that an authoritative statement, newbie.

sy7 has some good posts on this topic... I would classify it as a "trick."
Old Jul 10, 2009, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by LGA
Well, isn't that an authoritative statement, newbie.

sy7 has some good posts on this topic... I would classify it as a "trick."
shhhh.. it's like Fight Club..... ;-)
Old Jul 10, 2009, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WBurcham
shhhh.. it's like Fight Club..... ;-)
Award tickets that have been reissued multiple times and 3 out of such involving taxes - eventhough Citi system only recognizes the first 4 segments out of the total 11 segments itinerary, it has resulted to 14K x 2 x 3 = 84K flight pts. The actual trip which we just finished, has 24.6K flown miles for a 2x = 49.2K...
My understanding is you have to send in copy of ticket and actual boarding passes to get the proper miles posted... In this case there is no need to.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Happy
In this case there is no need to.
Thanks to some of the other "Fight Club" secrets that have been tossed around in these forums, I'm no longer the least bit worried about flight points, which is funny because up until ~2 months ago, I routinely scouted out people with award trips to Asia just so I could put their taxes on my card.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 4:31 pm
sy7

As the originator of the WN flight point "trick," I want to say that really, I don't think there is any need for secrecy on this.

Here is a thread with very detailed info on how to get as many flight points as you need for "free." (Well, you will need to be able to afford an ~$450-500 outlay for 1-2 months.)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...ht-points.html
Old Jul 22, 2009, 9:11 pm

I very much appreciate this forum and this thread. I got in on the tail end of the 3X fixed point redemption with 90K TYP and got a very nice UA voucher which is helping with a lot of family travel this summer. Everything worked out just the way Happy said it would.

I post now to report my daughter's experience with 45K TYP redeemed for a ticket from Houston to Mexico for this Christmas on CO. The ticket was just under $900 plus fees. Today she called to cancel this itinerary and book a flight from BWI to South Bend for $75. Because her original flight was to Mexico, they waived the $150 cancellation fee. She had to pay $25 to Expedia, but then they gave her the $75 ticket and refunded what would have been her voucher amount of $881 directly to the credit card she used to pay her fees on the original flight.

It's too early to see the credit, and I have some concern she will get a refund of her TYP instead, but they were quite definite about what would happen. If it does, what a great deal!
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by peteypablo
I very much appreciate this forum and this thread. I got in on the tail end of the 3X fixed point redemption with 90K TYP and got a very nice UA voucher which is helping with a lot of family travel this summer. Everything worked out just the way Happy said it would.

I post now to report my daughter's experience with 45K TYP redeemed for a ticket from Houston to Mexico for this Christmas on CO. The ticket was just under $900 plus fees. Today she called to cancel this itinerary and book a flight from BWI to South Bend for $75. Because her original flight was to Mexico, they waived the $150 cancellation fee. She had to pay $25 to Expedia, but then they gave her the $75 ticket and refunded what would have been her voucher amount of $881 directly to the credit card she used to pay her fees on the original flight.

It's too early to see the credit, and I have some concern she will get a refund of her TYP instead, but they were quite definite about what would happen. If it does, what a great deal!
Thanks for reporting on both the UA ticket and the CO ticket.

Is it because there is still a travel waiver on travel to Mexico due to Swine Flu, so CO waived the $150 fee?

Please do update us about the refund situation. I am not sure whether your daughter cancelled her ticket with Expedia, or with CO directly? What do you mean by "She had to pay $25 to Expedia," and "the credit card she used to pay her fees on the original flight." ???

BTW, CO normally issues E-Cert, which is generated by the system immediately after the new booking and the agent would give you the details over the phone. However, there is still printed form being sent to you via snail mail. Once you receive the E-Cert information, you can use it online. There is no paper voucher from CO.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 7:11 am

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals

If I were you, I would panic. Refund back to the credit card means the refund will go back to Citibank whose card was used by TYN to purchase her ticket. Never ever try to get a refund back to the card. Always request a voucher even if they offer you a refund.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 7:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I always use this credit card for WN bookings...and we frequently change our flights. (If I'm flying WN, it's precisely because we are booking tentative dates on one of their nonstop routes and probably switching them often...)

I have never looked closely. Am I getting a sh**load of Flight Points for doing this? I'm not trying to game the system...just doing my normal WN flight activity.

And yes, when it comes to TYP, I am a bit of a n00b...although I was pleased with myself for getting 90k TYP parlayed into three R/T biz tickets to Europe. (Three United "W" fares to Germany for a little under $2800. Alas, only way to get 'em with NC inventory at booking time was to fly the 777 with the old C seats...but still...)

I'm not sure how long I'll bother with TYP in the future. For now I'm looking at it as a near-2% rebate card. My next annual fee hits in February.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Is it because there is still a travel waiver on travel to Mexico due to Swine Flu, so CO waived the $150 fee?

Please do update us about the refund situation. I am not sure whether your daughter cancelled her ticket with Expedia, or with CO directly? What do you mean by "She had to pay $25 to Expedia," and "the credit card she used to pay her fees on the original flight." ???
Yes, it was because of the swine flu. She contacted Continental to cancel the ticket and book the new one. They told her they had to pay Expedia $25 so Continental made her pay Continental $25. Then they said she would get the credit on the card she had used to buy the ticket. Of course, she did use a credit card to buy the original ticket because she had to pay fees over and above the TYP.

If I had been on the phone with her, I probably would have advised just to get the voucher or eCert. I realize there is a risk she will get her TYP back. I know of no way to stop this process now. Will report when she actually sees the credit or the TYP back.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 8:20 am

Yes, it was because of the swine flu. She contacted Continental to cancel the ticket and book the new one. They told her they had to pay Expedia $25 so Continental made her pay Continental $25. Then they said she would get the credit on the card she had used to buy the ticket. Of course, she did use a credit card to buy the original ticket because she had to pay fees over and above the TYP.
The issue is that, the original ticket is booked by a credit card number from TYN instead of your personal credit card. So if the airline refunds ticket value, the amount would go to original form of payment, i.e., TYN credit card. Perhaps you could contact CO to reverse the transaction. Anyway, don't wait for the credit to show up on your personal card, since it won't. I doubt TYN would automatically credit back your points, either. You might need contact TYN to request a prorate of redeemed thank you points to be credited back to your account - as a portion of the ticket value ($75) was already used to buy another ticket.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I had been on the phone with her, I probably would have advised just to get the voucher or eCert. I realize there is a risk she will get her TYP back. I know of no way to stop this process now. Will report when she actually sees the credit or the TYP back.
I am afraid both of you have misunderstood - the card used to buy the CO ticket is NOT her card, it is the card from Citi, i.e. TYN's card. The fact she paid fees over and above the TYP is strictly the business between her and TYN - CO has no bearing, nor any knowledge, nor any record, of her credit card info.

In the situation like above, i.e. waived change fee due to some schedule changes or travel advisory, CO's policy is very strict - if you take advantage of the fee-waiver, the refund must go back to original form of payment - in this case, it is TYN, NOT your daughter's CC.

deltame's post already gave you the run-down. She may still be able to get CO to reverse the process, as refund to 3rd party booked ticket takes 2 weeks to process, (per CO's policy on its website). Though I doubt CO would oblige her request.

Good luck in sorting this out - which most likely would be with TYN than CO.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 12:44 pm

Thanks for your help. I was afraid of this. And it illustrates how many slips "twixt cup and lip" there can be. I guess I did not emphasize enough the importance of not getting a refund.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Despite the fact that they charge your credit card for the taxes, the full value of TY tickets gets put onto a special TY credit card when you book TP award tickets. If the airline told you that your ticket was refunded to the original form of payment you will definitely need to call the TY people. They will be able to see the refund in the reservation and once the processing is complete they should be able to get you the points back. I have no idea what they will give you if you only do a partial refund, though. Regarding CO, once they process a refund request there is nothing that can be done to stop/reverse it. Also, CO has been known to refund refundable tickets to the original form of payment even when asked to issue an ETC and even when say that they will issue an ETC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.