Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2009, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by susieling
I am looking at US-Asia route under either UA or DL, and I knew I need to find a non-refundable ticket. However, just tried out a few dates on expedia.com and all the tickets that I got does "not" list "non-refundable" expliclity under the rule. I got "We have not received rules or restriction information for this flight. In most cases, the following rules and restrictions may apply, Most fares are non-refundable...",, am I safe in assuming it is a "non-refundable" ticket? is there another way to verify?

Thanks
1) I hope you know UA international ticket change rules are very restrictive. Unliess you plan on actually travel on it... Otherwise, do a search about UA rules on this thread or many other threads. Else you would be very sorry you got the UA, if you dont plan on to travel on that ticket and ONLY you travel.

2) You need to go to the airline site and try to duplicate the itinerary, then READ the fare rules from airline's own site. Search for the info about Change ticket, and whether it is free or with fee.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 17, 2009 at 6:45 pm
Old Feb 17, 2009, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
1) I hope you know UA international ticket change rules are very restrictive. Unliess you plan on actually travel on it... Otherwise, do a search about UA rules on this thread or many other threads. Else you would be very sorry you got the UA, if you dont plan on to travel on that ticket and ONLY you travel.

2) You need to go to the airline site and try to duplicate the itinerary, then READ the fare rules from airline's own site. Search for the info about Change ticket, and whether it is free or with fee.
oh, my god, thanks so much for the last minute reminder on the international fair cancellation rule! I did not know there is such a big difference between domestic and international ticket!

So how about Delta international ticket? I read their website, it just says that when cancelled/changed, it needs to go another international (yes, I will be using the credit for international travel) but could the residue value be used for a second person? Anyone has an experience?

Thanks
Old Feb 17, 2009, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

oh, my god, thanks so much for the last minute reminder on the international fair cancellation rule! I did not know there is such a big difference between domestic and international ticket!

So how about Delta international ticket? I read their website, it just says that when cancelled/changed, it needs to go another international (yes, I will be using the credit for international travel) but could the residue value be used for a second person? Anyone has an experience?

Thanks
There are HUGE differences between domestic and international as far as UA concerned.

International ticket can only be exchanged for international destinations and you can exchange for HIGHER value by paying additional. If one wants to change to domestic ticket, then the domestic ticket must be of EQUAL or HIGHER value of the international ticket and must be on United metal ONLY.

Note I say TICKET, Not Tickets. Big difference.

Not a DL flyer, so cannot help you here.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 17, 2009 at 11:36 pm
Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
I had a great AA flight picked out (MIA-PDX) before I realized it had code shares with Alaska Air. Anyone know about this - a potential problem? (origninating flight of course isn't alaska, but flights in and out of pdx are).

I found JFK-GGG works great though, by varying the dates and times you can get almost any fare in the $1800 or $2700 range.

Last edited by GrizShel; Feb 17, 2009 at 11:10 pm Reason: additional info
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Yoksel

DL

ABY-SLC 1/4/2010-1/8/2010 (yes, way far in the future so I don't even have to think about it until I need to fly)

1925+45.80 in taxes, 1790.70 + 180.10 charged to me in taxes

4JAN Delta 5290 ABY-ATL Coach
4JAN Delta 236 ATL-SLC Business
8JAN Delta 1148 SLC-JFK Coach
8JAN Delta 241 JFK-ATL Business
8JAN Delta 5335 ATL-ABY Coach
Thanks Yoksel, great first post. I was just able to replicate this booking. The first flight is a code share, but I think that's fine.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 12:12 am

I've cancelled an existing TYP itinerary and was wondering if its safe for me to hold on to the ticket value till I'm ready to rebook on another itinerary ? I can't see how TYP can do anything with the ticket value but you never know how sleazy they can get.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 12:26 am

another two questions about vouchers

DL: if I have an e-credit voucher with a large value, is it right that it will extend for another one year every time I use it against another new ticket? I know UA/AA does, just want to confirm with DL ...

For any airlines UA/DL/AA, could I possibly combine two left-over vouchers (w/ smaller value) together to purchase one ticket?

Thanks
Old Feb 18, 2009, 3:02 am

I could really use some help finding something similar for UA... can anyone please help?

Originally Posted by psychtobe
Looking for AA - have 140k TYPs and could really use a Biz fare to Hawaii close to the cap of $2800. Whenever I do a search at Expedia, I'm getting coach fares. Help anyone?
Old Feb 18, 2009, 5:51 am

Programs: AA LifeTime Gold
If using 140TYPs for $2800 Max.(fees/taxes subtracted) Expedia flight

could really use some help finding something similar for UA... can anyone please help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychtobe
Looking for AA - have 140k TYPs and could really use a Biz fare to Hawaii close to the cap of $2800. Whenever I do a search at Expedia, I'm getting coach fares. Help anyone?
If using 140TYPs for $2800 Max.(fees/taxes subtracted) Expedia flight.

For AA
JFK - OGG; 20 -27 Dec; 9 flight choices @ $2870.40 or $2670.89 W/O Taxes/Fees.
JFK - OGG; 20 -25 Dec; Several flight choices @ $2943.49 or $2729.61 W/O Taxes/Fees.
JFK - KOA; 20 -26 Dec; 2 fllight choices @$3001.00 or $2787.09 W/O Taxes/Fees.
All $150 change fee; All AA Metal. These are easy to find.

For UA
JFK - KOA; 20 -27 Dec; 2 fllight choices @$2994.40 or $2792.58 W/O Taxes/Fees. All $150 change fee; All UA Metal

Book 'um quick in case anybody is watching.

BTW, I decided to post results instead of using PMs since time is running out? Everyone agree that posting Specific flights is OK or should we still keep the info under wraps if possible?

Last edited by Happyfeet; Feb 18, 2009 at 8:28 am Reason: Clarify Who/What I'm responding to --
Old Feb 18, 2009, 6:37 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by drjhwang
I could really use some help finding something similar for UA... can anyone please help?
It's taken me a couple of weeks to learn how to do this well (alas, I was late to the party, and won't be able to directly use this skill any more). I don't have time to look up specific examples for you right now. but let me give you a tip that worked really well for me. Go to Farecompare and search for Yup fares. Multicity search is here:

http://www.farecompare.com/search/yupfares.html

Select an originating city, choose UA only as the airline filter (on left side of page)
Then start checking off the city pairs you find with the highest minimum fares listed. These city pairs are MUCH more likely to provide the type of fare you are looking for.

Then see what you can find on Expedia.com .

Important: Expedia is very selective in the list of flights it provides. Manipulating the departure time selected is one way to get different fares to show up, sometimes with very different pricing then those that show up without selecting a departure time of day.

Good luck!
Old Feb 18, 2009, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sunil
I've cancelled an existing TYP itinerary and was wondering if its safe for me to hold on to the ticket value till I'm ready to rebook on another itinerary ? I can't see how TYP can do anything with the ticket value but you never know how sleazy they can get.
Not a problem, as long as it is not a refundable. Ticket value sits with airline until you rebook, then you pay the ticket change fee either in the form of a separate payment (CO) or in the form of deduction of original ticket value (AA UA DL)

DL: if I have an e-credit voucher with a large value, is it right that it will extend for another one year every time I use it against another new ticket? I know UA/AA does, just want to confirm with DL ...

For any airlines UA/DL/AA, could I possibly combine two left-over vouchers (w/ smaller value) together to purchase one ticket?

Thanks
NOT the case for DL. The e-cert expiration date does NOT change after each booking. There might be a way to get around it in the fashion of CO e-cert but you have to go to DL forum to ask DL frequent flyers for the How To or if that is even possible.

I know AA let you combine vouchers. Others can chime in about UA & DL.

Originally Posted by Happyfeet
For AA
JFK - OGG; 20 -27 Dec; 9 flight choices @ $2870.40 or $2670.89 W/O Taxes/Fees.
JFK - OGG; 20 -25 Dec; Several flight choices @ $2943.49 or $2729.61 W/O Taxes/Fees.
JFK - KOA; 20 -26 Dec; 2 fllight choices @$3001.00 or $2787.09 W/O Taxes/Fees.
All $150 change fee; All AA Metal. These are easy to find.

For UA
JFK - KOA; 20 -27 Dec; 2 fllight choices @$2994.40 or $2792.58 W/O Taxes/Fees. All $150 change fee; All UA Metal

Book 'um quick in case anybody is watching.

BTW, I decided to post results instead of using PMs since time is running out? Everyone agree?
Are these in the no-longer-exit 3cent value? If they are, then it is moot as only Chairman cardholder and SB account owner can still have 3c value.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 8:33 am

Programs: AA LifeTime Gold
Happy

Are these in the no-longer-exit 3cent value? If they are, then it is moot as only Chairman cardholder and SB account owner can still have 3c value.
They were asking about 2 cent value -- 140k TYPs to Hawaii.
I edited and clarified my Post Above; See # 804.

BTW HAPPY, A Big THANK-YOU to you for helping us all !!!

Last edited by Happyfeet; Feb 18, 2009 at 8:40 am
Old Feb 18, 2009, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happyfeet
BTW HAPPY, A Big THANK-YOU to you for helping us all !!!
You, and many others who express thanks publicly and privately, YOU ARE ALL VERY WELCOME. I am HAPPY to be able to offer helps because we the consumers should not take this sitting down.

It is funny that 2 posters hate me, but 10 times more posters thank me.

FWIW, this morning I spent less than 15 min to redeem a 60K South America coach on CO for 1186 base, 80.20 tax and 7 Expedia fee come out to 1266.20 ticket value (the $7 Expedia fee is Expedia's to keep).
Old Feb 18, 2009, 9:34 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, etc
Originally Posted by pevo
Thanks Yoksel, great first post. I was just able to replicate this booking. The first flight is a code share, but I think that's fine.
Thanks, pevo!
The code share is Atlantic Southeast which is owned by Delta. Should be fine.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:57 am

still have 150k left... any good DL route to hawaii for 140k $2800 let me know
I tried several spots to OGG and can only get up to 2400 to 2600..

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.