Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2009, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by busterbaxter
I have used up 90k today for a ticket in my name. Since I have 141k left (aiming for Hawaii thanks to Happyfeet^), should my next booking be done in my name or my wife's to reduce future booking fees? I understand that each ticket will incur the $150 cancellation fee, but what about agent fee ($25@) when I rebook each of them? Will it be easier if each of us has our own ticket to cancel/rebook, or should I just do it all in my name and just go to airport to book first in my name, then use residue for wife per previous posts?

I am planning to rebook both for an international trip for me and the wife.

Thanks to Happyfeet and iahphx for itinerary help, and Happy for steering me clear from international bookings!
Agent booking fee is per ticket also. It does not matter who travels on such tickets - almost all fees are per ticket basis.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 4:49 pm

I would advise preparing for 2 itineraries. Me and another poster today both reported that the TYN reps couldn't see some "near perfect" routings that showed up in expedia. I gave the agent exact flight numbers and he just said it was not in their systems. This happened for several routings that are $5-10 below the cap.

Be prepared and pull 2 routings up in different browsers, you might be able to save yourself from calling in again.

thanks so much for the suggestion! i kinda have another route planned but i think my itinerary thankfully is okay as the rep is just trying to work out some problem with my card now (computer states i'm not eligible for fixed price even tho i have a pp elite). hopefully he'll get it resolved soon. have to say this wait is killing me!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
It does not matter to have 2 passengers fly on same route - the change fee is per ticket anyway.

It is $25 per 1K, so 23K would be $575. Even if you can redeem at 3c per pt (assume you have Chairman Card or SB FMA), it is not a very good deal. If you can only get 2c per pt, there is no reason to pay 2.5c to get back 2c value to instantly lose 0.05c for the 23K, plus tkt change fee.

Dont get carried away by this process. Do your math first.

You bf's best bet is to do a South America at 1200 cap 200 change fee 87 tax & fee. Then he can either extra 3K in coming weeks/months, to top off the 7K so he can redeem a $100 GC to clean out the account.

No apparent solution for the 36K as the value is too low. You have to remember, unless you can find something to actually fly on, the $150 X fee would wipe out whatever efforts you have, and then some. You would actually lose money.
thanks so much for all your help and for taking the time to write such clear, thorough responses! i realized each tix was 150 cancellation, but i wasnt sure if there was an advantage to making 2 itineraries (other than getting diff airlines) as others seem to be breaking up their pts into several itineraries. happy to hear there's no reason i need to do that necessarily

thank you also for the math bit - i knew it didnt make sense to pay 2.5 cents when i was only trying to redeem for 2 cents, but it seemed that other people had recommending buying pts (maybe when it was 3 cents/pt? or maybe for those closer to a redemption level like i was ~11K short). i was thinking of going the 90K route with him mainly because i havent been having much luck finding flights near the cap levels except for domestic business class flights. thanks for being the voice of reason - i guess i'll just have to look harder for a qualifying flight for him! the irony is he actually has flown more than 25K miles this last month and if those would only post (his next statement is in a week) he'd be set. i dont feel like taking the risk tho so i'll just keep looking for a 50K or 60K redemption level. thanks again!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by brownie20
thanks so much for the suggestion! i kinda have another route planned but i think my itinerary thankfully is okay as the rep is just trying to work out some problem with my card now (computer states i'm not eligible for fixed price even tho i have a pp elite). hopefully he'll get it resolved soon. have to say this wait is killing me!
I hope it works out for you, it should. BTW the wait time has been over 30 min now. Called several time earlier today and wait time was always zero
Old Feb 19, 2009, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the irony is he actually has flown more than 25K miles this last month and if those would only post (his next statement is in a week) he'd be set. i dont feel like taking the risk tho so i'll just keep looking for a 50K or 60K redemption level. thanks again!
Good point as the value is the same at 2c. Breaking it up costs extra change fee, but you eliminate some risk of Citi devalue yet again between now and next week.

60K CO South America SLC - EZE Jun departure Jul return 1186, 80.20 tax 7 expedia fee. 200 change fee.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 5:11 pm

I hope it works out for you, it should. BTW the wait time has been over 30 min now. Called several time earlier today and wait time was always zero

thanks so much for the words of encouragment there's something definitely not right tho - the rep keeps having to make little changes (and calls) and he had another error message before the final submission (again!) he was able to find the itineraries so i dont know what the problem is now? definitely getting more worried the longer i'm on hold!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 5:18 pm

Good point as the value is the same at 2c. Breaking it up costs extra change fee, but you eliminate some risk of Citi devalue yet again between now and next week.

60K CO South America SLC - EZE Jun departure Jul return 1186, 80.20 tax 7 expedia fee. 200 change fee.
you're amazing HAPPY, thank you so much for all your help! your itinerary looks amazing, thanks again! i kinda had my heart set on getting some delta credit (since i'll be getting tons of continental), but if i cant find any routes that work yours would be perfect. thanks again for all your help!

my rep STILL is having trouble booking my flights - apprently the system is overwhelmed?
Old Feb 19, 2009, 5:25 pm

thanks so much for the words of encouragment there's something definitely not right tho - the rep keeps having to make little changes (and calls) and he had another error message before the final submission (again!) he was able to find the itineraries so i dont know what the problem is now? definitely getting more worried the longer i'm on hold!
before he took your routing, did he tell you that you were eligible for fixed point redemption? Just curious, coz they usually did all verifications for me before even asking where/when I am going.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you're amazing HAPPY, thank you so much for all your help! your itinerary looks amazing, thanks again! i kinda had my heart set on getting some delta credit (since i'll be getting tons of continental), but if i cant find any routes that work yours would be perfect. thanks again for all your help!

my rep STILL is having trouble booking my flights - apprently the system is overwhelmed?
Cannot help you with DL as I dont fly DL since its miles are bordering to worthless unless you use them on SQ partner flights. The one and the only DL flight we took due to the price (one-way SNA to FLL after a Panama cruise), we credited the miles to AS accounts.

Even I have been cumulated CO credits, the CO flights all are credited to AS accounts. I will wait till CO join *A this October, and see how OnePass works, before I add more miles to OnePass accounts which currently have the lower balances but still good for some basic awards.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 5:34 pm

YAY!!!! i think it worked! so happy (and relieved)!

redeemed 2 business class tix for $1795.42 each (good enough for me! ). in retrospect i probably should have gone 90K business US + 60K coach south america for a total of 150K (and not purchased a little over 10K pts), but i'm just happy everything worked out (cant imagine processing a second itinerary seeing the first one took more than 2 hrs! think i bought a non-refundable ticket, but will find out when i cancel. i wonder if the elite line would waive the change fee if changed within 24 hrs (itineraries linked but only one of us elite)?

FARE RULES TEXT
CANCELLATIONS
TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
NOTE -
IF ANY PART OF THE TICKET IS UNUSED IT HAS NO
VALUE AFTER TICKETED DEPARTURE DATE.
CHANGES
CHARGE USD 150.00/CAD 150.00 FOR REISSUE.
NOTE -
ITINERARIES MAY BE REBOOKED UP TO ONE YEAR FROM
ORIGINAL TICKET ISSUE DATE PROVIDED THE PASSENGER
CANCELS THE TICKETED FLIGHT RESERVATION PRIOR TO
TICKETED DEPARTURE TIME. IF THE TICKETED FLIGHT
RESERVATION IS NOT CANCELLED PRIOR TO TICKETED
DEPARTURE TIME REBOOKING IS NOT PERMITTED AND THE
TICKET HAS NO VALUE.
----------

was excited to learn that you can call for other people by becoming their "authorized" representative. they let the thank you ctr know that you can call on their behalf and then you can call in whenever. will probably pursue this option w/the bf b/c he rarely gets to leave the hospital. poor kid
Old Feb 19, 2009, 5:36 pm

before he took your routing, did he tell you that you were eligible for fixed point redemption? Just curious, coz they usually did all verifications for me before even asking where/when I am going.
he said that he wasnt sure why the computer wouldnt let him redeem for fixed price for me as he could see i had a pp elite card. then he had to call a ctr to change something. fotunately everything eventually went thru, so i'm set! yay!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 5:43 pm

Cannot help you with DL as I dont fly DL since its miles are bordering to worthless unless you use them on SQ partner flights. The one and the only DL flight we took due to the price (one-way SNA to FLL after a Panama cruise), we credited the miles to AS accounts.

Even I have been cumulated CO credits, the CO flights all are credited to AS accounts. I will wait till CO join *A this October, and see how OnePass works, before I add more miles to OnePass accounts which currently have the lower balances but still good for some basic awards.
i know, i try to avoid delta and nwa too but sometimes nwa ends up being te cheapest (esp to the midwest, asia, and sometimes europe). seeing as i'll have a huge almost 4 K voucher to continental i thought i would try to get some delta for when they merge w/nwa and then use it on nwa continental sometimes still has good basic awards, especially for those of us near their hubs, but it definitely has been harder to use miles recently as fare prices have fallen. thanks again for all your help, my itinerary is already in continental! so THRILLED!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

YAY!!!! i think it worked! so happy (and relieved)!

redeemed 2 business class tix for $1795.42 each (good enough for me! ). in retrospect i probably should have gone 90K business US + 60K coach south america for a total of 150K (and not purchased a little over 10K pts), but i'm just happy everything worked out (cant imagine processing a second itinerary seeing the first one took more than 2 hrs! think i bought a non-refundable ticket, but will find out when i cancel. i wonder if the elite line would waive the change fee if changed within 24 hrs (itineraries linked but only one of us elite)?
Unless your itinerary is to travel tomorrow or day after, I would not try to cancel it and invoke the 24hr free cancellation policy. There are a number of reportings this can create a big mess. To spare you from accidentally create a big mess for yourself by trying to be cute, I strongly suggest you NOT to try to save the change fee. Else, you can read thru this thread from 1/3 thru to get the scope of how such can backfire BADLY.

So far, any kind of tweaking trying to avoid the ticket change fee, whether by booking a refundable, or cancelling a non-refundable within 24 hours, have proved to be a sucker's play.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i know, i try to avoid delta and nwa too but sometimes nwa ends up being te cheapest (esp to the midwest, asia, and sometimes europe). seeing as i'll have a huge almost 4 K voucher to continental i thought i would try to get some delta for when they merge w/nwa and then use it on nwa continental sometimes still has good basic awards, especially for those of us near their hubs, but it definitely has been harder to use miles recently as fare prices have fallen. thanks again for all your help, my itinerary is already in continental! so THRILLED!
My ranking of FF programs, not by the elite benefits, but by the value of miles, in terms of award availability, on both the airline's own metal and on partner flights, AA wins hands down.

UA, before the big up of mileage requirement late last year, was great value once you found seats on partners. Now it requires MORE miles than AA on same routes, it no longer is great value. However, I hope it would improve the availability. Star Alliances has a better network than OneWorld.

Skyteam is worthless. Luckily AS takes in any Skyteam member's flight, and AS miles are easier to get premium award seats on partner airlines than most.

Again, this is from award-redeeming angle, not from actual flying angle, such as getting free upgrades when you are elite, that kind of thing.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 6:14 pm

Unless your itinerary is to travel tomorrow or day after, I would not try to cancel it and invoke the 24hr free cancellation policy. There are a number of reportings this can create a big mess. To spare you from accidentally create a big mess for yourself by trying to be cute, I strongly suggest you NOT to try to save the change fee. Else, you can read thru this thread from 1/3 thru to get the scope of how such can backfire BADLY.

So far, any kind of tweaking trying to avoid the ticket change fee, whether by booking a refundable, or cancelling a non-refundable within 24 hours, have proved to be a sucker's play.
you're absolutely right, thank you again for being the voice of reasoning. i'm getting waay too greedy. i will refrain myself from trying to extract every last penny from this deal

i've learned an incredibly amount from all that's been posted on this thread - i never knew how to "save" expiring etc's before yesterday and am ashamed to admit how much i've lost in the past by paying cancellation fee after cancellation fee in order to have the voucher reissued. fortunately this was back in the days when cancellation fees were only 100, but still

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.