Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2009, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Read the post you replied to. Didn't the OP suggest the non-refundable routing at the very end of his post?

Frankly why there are still folks trying to be cute to get a refundable tkt at this late stage of the game is beyond me.

There have been enough posts about how a refundable can bite you if anything goes wrong, and more than a couple persons reported how it did not work out as planned...

Why would you try to save $150 and risk you may end up having NOTHING?

Correct. The most restrict rule governs the whole ticket.

Thanks Happy and +1 to your post. If people don't like the $150 hit, just man up and book on another carrier.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Looking for AA - have 140k TYPs and could really use a Biz fare to Hawaii close to the cap of $2800. Whenever I do a search at Expedia, I'm getting coach fares. Help anyone?
Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Hi there,

I booked just such a flight today; came to just under $2800 :-).

I'm a bit shy about giving specifics in case the evil Citibank/Expedia folks are watching, but... suffice it to say that the itin involved a far-east-coast city to OGG over a Fri-Sun this summer. Only a couple of the legs ended up as business class, but that was enough to raise the price perfectly.

If you're still not able to find a good flight, PM me and I'll fill you in on my itin.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 8:47 am

ok... how long is the wait time.... I am still on hold after 2 hrs ...damn it.... any better time slot to call ....this is killing me ....
Old Feb 17, 2009, 9:57 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sparkzone
ok... how long is the wait time.... I am still on hold after 2 hrs ...damn it.... any better time slot to call ....this is killing me ....

i called Saturday morning and the total time on the phone was < 15 minutes, ticket booked and everything.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Read the post you replied to. Didn't the OP suggest the non-refundable routing at the very end of his post?

Frankly why there are still folks trying to be cute to get a refundable tkt at this late stage of the game is beyond me.

There have been enough posts about how a refundable can bite you if anything goes wrong, and more than a couple persons reported how it did not work out as planned...

Why would you try to save $150 and risk you may end up having NOTHING?

Correct. The most restrict rule governs the whole ticket.
Well I definitely wasn't trying to be "cute". You are right, this is the late stage of the game, so us newbies are depending on all of your help to make the most of our points.

I booked SFO to YYZ for a total of $1950 ($1750 base plus $200 taxes). Ticket is non-refundable, double checked at Continental. Also, TYN at first was not going to give me the ticket for 90K because the flights do not offer business class, only first class, but she checked with her supervisor and he said to give it to me because business class is not offered on those flights. So if they are trying to take more than 90K out of your account, get a supervisor on the line.

Thanks everyone!
Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by sparkzone
2 hrs is absurd. I've called a couple of times and the most I waited was 45 minutes. Same for my dad once he even only waited ~5 minutes. Speaker phone is a must for these calls.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by ra11en
Thanks thesilb,

Found the following using LAS-JFK: UA $1934.40

4/13 - 4/19
Departs @ 6:41 flight 525 / 34
Returns @ 5:50 flight 25 / 864
Actually for UA, I found perfection (which is funny because I used your dates and somehow made a typo and put ORD instead of JFK). I was even congratulated by the TYP rep who said it was the first time she had ever seen anyone hit the cap precisely!

LAS-ORD 4/13 - 4/19 UA 994/938 - UA 245/433
$1935.00 + $49.40

$1935 / 1.075 = $1800.00 to the penny

So lament the loss of the $2700 level, but at least I maximized the stretch to $1800! ^
Old Feb 17, 2009, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by suga
I booked SFO to YYZ for a total of $1950 ($1750 base plus $200 taxes). Ticket is non-refundable, double checked at Continental. Also, TYN at first was not going to give me the ticket for 90K because the flights do not offer business class, only first class, but she checked with her supervisor and he said to give it to me because business class is not offered on those flights. So if they are trying to take more than 90K out of your account, get a supervisor on the line.

Thanks everyone!
Good job for standing your ground and get it done!

Originally Posted by friedablass
2 hrs is absurd. I've called a couple of times and the most I waited was 45 minutes. Same for my dad once he even only waited ~5 minutes. Speaker phone is a must for these calls.
OP's call might has gone into a phone loop and not being "seen" by any rep. Any wait at this stage should not be more than 30 min. I would hang up had the wait has gone passed that and call again later.

Originally Posted by thesilb
Actually for UA, I found perfection (which is funny because I used your dates and somehow made a typo and put ORD instead of JFK). I was even congratulated by the TYP rep who said it was the first time she had ever seen anyone hit the cap precisely!
So lament the loss of the $2700 level, but at least I maximized the stretch to $1800! ^
That is terrific! Congrats of hitting it on the nose!
Old Feb 17, 2009, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by thesilb

LAS-ORD 4/13 - 4/19 UA 994/938 - UA 245/433
$1935.00 + $49.40

$1935 / 1.075 = $1800.00 to the penny

That's funny what TYP rep said. Congratulations!
Old Feb 17, 2009, 2:33 pm

Programs: aa, onepass, skymiles
DL flights

Well I definitely wasn't trying to be "cute". You are right, this is the late stage of the game, so us newbies are depending on all of your help to make the most of our points.

Thanks everyone!
Old Feb 17, 2009, 2:36 pm

Programs: aa, onepass, skymiles
DL flights

Thanks everyone!
Congrats! Way to work the system!

Now, does anyone have any specific itins for Delta or AA for near $1935 incl Excise tax?

As far as Canada goes, not much luck finding anything thru there that comes close to $1800 base price.

Thanks
Scott

Last edited by scottsd; Feb 17, 2009 at 3:42 pm
Old Feb 17, 2009, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, etc
Just booked DL close to cap

First of all, thank you to everyone posting to this thread!

Unfortunately, I found out too late about the fixed redemptions and actually am thankful to Citi in some way for closing it because otherwise I'd probably never know about its existence Anyways, I streched a lot and went from 55K to 91K points in about a month, just too late to even hit the $2700 cap

BTW, the call only took 15 minutes total, virtually no hold time ^

Now the part that can be helpful to someone..

DL

ABY-SLC 1/4/2010-1/8/2010 (yes, way far in the future so I don't even have to think about it until I need to fly)

1925+45.80 in taxes, 1790.70 + 180.10 charged to me in taxes

4JAN Delta 5290 ABY-ATL Coach
4JAN Delta 236 ATL-SLC Business
8JAN Delta 1148 SLC-JFK Coach
8JAN Delta 241 JFK-ATL Business
8JAN Delta 5335 ATL-ABY Coach
Old Feb 17, 2009, 5:27 pm

non-refundable

I am looking at US-Asia route under either UA or DL, and I knew I need to find a non-refundable ticket. However, just tried out a few dates on expedia.com and all the tickets that I got does "not" list "non-refundable" expliclity under the rule. I got "We have not received rules or restriction information for this flight. In most cases, the following rules and restrictions may apply, Most fares are non-refundable...",, am I safe in assuming it is a "non-refundable" ticket? is there another way to verify?

Thanks
Old Feb 17, 2009, 5:55 pm
pcv

Programs: AA, UA, DL, SPG
AA:
EYW-FAT
8/24-8/31
$1,934.00 + $56.60 tax = $1,990.60

Originally Posted by scottsd
Congrats! Way to work the system!

Now, does anyone have any specific itins for Delta or AA for near $1935 incl Excise tax?

As far as Canada goes, not much luck finding anything thru there that comes close to $1800 base price.

Thanks
Scott

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.