Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2009, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Happy

NOT the case for DL. The e-cert expiration date does NOT change after each booking. There might be a way to get around it in the fashion of CO e-cert but you have to go to DL forum to ask DL frequent flyers for the How To or if that is even possible.

Thanks for letting me know that! I called and was told different stories, some people said it does extend 1 year for each new voucher issued, but some says no, the voucher will always tie up to the original ticket plus 1 year. I trust that you got the information from a confirmed source. thanks
Old Feb 18, 2009, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sparkzone
still have 150k left... any good DL route to hawaii for 140k $2800 let me know
I tried several spots to OGG and can only get up to 2400 to 2600..

thanks
See if you can find smallish airports in Florida that are only served by DL. It used to have a few, including 1 in the Keys. Take a look on DL routemap to get an idea of smallish airports DL serve, in the eastern / central part of the country and try those.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 11:15 am

One more question about PPE card bonus point

Well, I have another question about PPE card. I currently have a promo with my account that I will earn some bonus points with certain type of spending. Meanwhile, I have a large collection of flight points (out of the whole family vacation last winter, just right before the sad message of citi discontinuing of the fixed TYP) sitting there to be matched by purchase points. My questionn is -- will the bonus points from my spending (are they same as purchase points?) be matched with the flight points as well?

thanks
Old Feb 18, 2009, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

here are some good 50k options

pdx-sxm around xmas or thanksgiving; it's possible to nail $1000 on the nose with CO; just look for flights with a total price of $1122

jax-hnl, same time period; i found DL for $989.50 (+$106)
Old Feb 18, 2009, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime Gold
Originally Posted by sparkzone
still have 150k left... any good DL route to hawaii for 140k $2800 let me know
I tried several spots to OGG and can only get up to 2400 to 2600..

thanks
For Delta, Try PIT - KOA; 20-27 Dec; $2896.53 or $2688.62 without Taxes and fees.
Does use Delta Comair and Delta Northwest Airlink flights. $150 change fee.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pcv
AA:
EYW-FAT
8/24-8/31
$1,934.00 + $56.60 tax = $1,990.60
8/17 - 8/24 for this route also works if prompting them for the AA + business class and telling them the specific flight numbers after they run the initial search.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by thesilb
Actually for UA, I found perfection (which is funny because I used your dates and somehow made a typo and put ORD instead of JFK). I was even congratulated by the TYP rep who said it was the first time she had ever seen anyone hit the cap precisely!

LAS-ORD 4/13 - 4/19 UA 994/938 - UA 245/433
$1935.00 + $49.40

$1935 / 1.075 = $1800.00 to the penny

So lament the loss of the $2700 level, but at least I maximized the stretch to $1800! ^
I just booked a ticket LAS-ORD 7/2 - 7/6 on UA. In fact there are quite a few options priced as $1935+$49.40.

Thanks thesilb! Good luck to everyone!
PS: I called at 9:20pm. It takes me 48 mins.

Last edited by carlens; Feb 19, 2009 at 8:22 am Reason: correct a mistake
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:13 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
EYW-FAT

Originally Posted by GUWonder
8/17 - 8/24 for this route also works if prompting them for the AA + business class and telling them the specific flight numbers after they run the initial search.
Note: to find in Expedia you *have* to select "only American Airlines" on the left.

Last edited by MilesTalk; Feb 18, 2009 at 10:17 pm Reason: answered own question.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 1:41 am

thanks OP for this incredibly helpful post! will read thru the other threads to get an even better idea of how i should proceed now that time is almost out!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 2:33 am

i've carefully skimmed thru a little more than half this thread (getting a little dizzy here! ) and was hoping that some of you gurus might be able to provide some help

- have a little over 150K in one typ account. could potentially buy several K's to hit 160K if needed.
- ideally would like continental and/or northwest vouchers. from the other posts, i think i should be focusing on domestic continental/delta business flights.
- willing to break into 80, 60K incremenets if needed
- seems some were successful booking refundable tickets on continental, but i think i'll go w/a nonrefundable primarily b/c i'm feeling rather risk adverse recently, especially since there wont be time to rebook w/ty network if my pts are refunded there
- excited to read about how to "extend" expiring ETCs on continental (wish i knew this before i let all my ETCs expire a few yrs ago! ) so would be happy to get a single continental voucher since it's our families primary airline

have seen suggestions for florida-hawaii for delta itineraries, and ewr-yvr for continental. will focus on these itinearies but would GREATLY appreciate any help given the ticking clock ad the fact that i'll also have to help my bf and sis redeem their miles too

THANK YOU very much in advance for any help!

ETA: aiming for hawaii i found on expedia:

1 adult $2,743.12
Taxes & Fees $114.84
Total $2,857.96

and from the airline's website:
1 Adults (age 18 to 64) $2,815.28
Additional Taxes/Fees $35.70
Total Price $2,850.98

it is, however a refundable flight i think (A). any thoughts?

Last edited by brownie20; Feb 19, 2009 at 3:44 am
Old Feb 19, 2009, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CO South America change fee is $200

To answer several questions:

CO South America tkt change fee is $200. (actually $150 for the domestic legs, but $200 for the international leg - the higher amount applied.)

Mine has CO Express as the last leg inbound but you could choose a 4 hour layover at IAH and be mainline all the way in case you want so. However in CO's eyes the whole itinerary is considered on CO metal (CO mainline and CO Express, operated by ExpressJet which was divested by CO a few years back but since Sept '08 has ceased independent brand and now operating as CO Express under contract - just for the info tidbit.)
Old Feb 19, 2009, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brownie20
it is, however a refundable flight i think (A). any thoughts?
Playing with fire.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:11 am

Playing with fire.
thanks for the quick reply! i havent been able to find anything in nonrefundable fare codes thus far, guess i need to search harder. at this pt i think it's easier if i go w/one hawaii ticket in our main acct for continental, and maybe delta in a second account (to save on te number of $150 cancellation fees).

i'm still a little confused about what amount to maximize the ticket at. for the hawaiian itinerary, for example:

Expedia
1 adult $2,743.12
Taxes & Fees $114.84
Total $2,857.96

and from the airline's website:
1 Adults (age 18 to 64) $2,815.28
Additional Taxes/Fees $35.70
Total Price $2,850.98

so this itinenary would have been under the 2800 limit, is that correct? TIA for any help!

eta:
YAY! i found an itinerary that i think MIGHT be non-refundable: fares in J, A and Q, with
the Q reading

FARE RULES TEXT
CANCELLATIONS
TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
NOTE -
IF ANY PART OF THE TICKET IS UNUSED IT HAS NO
VALUE AFTER TICKETED DEPARTURE DATE.
CHANGES
CHARGE USD 150.00 FOR REISSUE.
NOTE -
ITINERARIES MAY BE REBOOKED UP TO ONE YEAR FROM
ORIGINAL TICKET ISSUE DATE PROVIDED THE PASSENGER
CANCELS THE TICKETED FLIGHT RESERVATION PRIOR TO
TICKETED DEPARTURE TIME. IF THE TICKETED FLIGHT
RESERVATION IS NOT CANCELLED PRIOR TO TICKETED
DEPARTURE TIME REBOOKING IS NOT PERMITTED AND THE
) TICKET HAS NO VALUE.

i think one non-refundable segments makes the entire itinerary nonrefundable (pl correct me if i'm wrong!)? only problem is it's way over 2800, but i think i'm at least heading in the right of direction?

this is weird, but a code A7X shows as nonrefundable? this actually is ~2800 i think!
FARE RULES TEXT
CANCELLATIONS
TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
NOTE -
IF ANY PART OF THE TICKET IS UNUSED IT HAS NO
VALUE AFTER TICKETED DEPARTURE DATE.
CHANGES
CHARGE USD 150.00 FOR REISSUE.
NOTE -
ITINERARIES MAY BE REBOOKED UP TO ONE YEAR FROM
ORIGINAL TICKET ISSUE DATE PROVIDED THE PASSENGER
CANCELS THE TICKETED FLIGHT RESERVATION PRIOR TO
TICKETED DEPARTURE TIME. IF THE TICKETED FLIGHT
RESERVATION IS NOT CANCELLED PRIOR TO TICKETED
DEPARTURE TIME REBOOKING IS NOT PERMITTED AND THE
TICKET HAS NO VALUE.

Last edited by brownie20; Feb 19, 2009 at 10:52 am
Old Feb 19, 2009, 11:18 am

To answer several questions:

Mine has CO Express as the last leg inbound but you could choose a 4 hour layover at IAH and be mainline all the way in case you want so.
an enormous thank you to Happy for this - just booked successfully. however, i should add that they have upped the price for the mainline 4 hour delay routing to just above the 1200 cap. this is not the first time i've seen this happen when i've been scanning and comparing the various prices so it would seem possible that they are trying to outwit us even now - it probably doesn't hurt them to adjust the Expedia price up a few dollars until after March 1st.

i should also add that several previous attempts at near-perfect redemptions have resulted in "i'm sorry, for some reason i can't book that flight although i can see it".

hmm... shady dealings if you ask me.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:54 pm

I missed the mark for February TYP inflow, and ended up with 82K. What's the best strategy to use them? Coach for 80K to Asia? Are there airlines that can cancel international itinerary and give a voucher that can be used for domestic? Minimizing cancellation fees would also be really useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.