Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2009, 9:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by iahphx
It seems like Expedia will classify anything that involves a FC seat on one flight and a coach seat on another (like on a commuter jet) as a "business class" ticket. Is that correct -- and that's what I can book the 90K award on?

Also, I presume there's no problem booking your original itinerary with a code share on another airline's metal. Like some promising CO itineraries (assuming I'm now allowed to get up to $2700 in value again) involve a flight on Horizon, but operating under a CO flight number. No problem with cancelling this type of flight and getting a CO voucher, right?

Thanks again for the help.
Why are you assuming that you are now allowed to get up to $2700 in value again on a 90k award? Is it by getting a Chairman or Smith Barney card or some other way?
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Why are you assuming that you are now allowed to get up to $2700 in value again on a 90k award? Is it by getting a Chairman or Smith Barney card or some other way?
Check out the new related thread that documents a 3 cent award.

But the later data looks less promising. Still, I guess everyone needs to try!

Any insight as to my original question, though?
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:05 pm

Programs: CO,AA,DL,UA
Thank you for all that participated in this thread.
Just for your information, I called TYN this morning to inquire about the change to $ 1,800 for 90 K.
After I pressed # 1 to get the Travel Reward desk, got on hold 10 min then was transferred - after an other 20 min hold - to an other rep more savvy.
The woman confirmed the change to $ 1,800 - she says Citi did it a week ago - She also said that those who are earning points via a linked Smith Barney account still get $ 2700.
Since I have Citi investment with SB, I inquired if I could get it. She said that the system does not show a linked SB account.
So I went to my Citi/SB invest banker and asked to open a "Financial Management Account". That's a $ 125 fee. I signed the paper work and was told that it takes few days to get this processed.
On line at TYN it says imply that the "FMA card" - a MC - need to be enrolled. So that's the one I am pressuring to get.
Last, I was told by the TYN woman that best time to call and do not get the hold is early morning at 8 AM EST.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:40 pm
mzx

No huge airline preference, which ticketing options is best?

I am in the NYC region and given all the airline options here I don't think I would have a problem using any of the carriers. I have 80K miles, but it seems safer to buy up to 90K biz to keep it entirely domestic (sounds like most intl. fares carry more risk of not being transferable to domestic, etc.).

Would it be safe to say after reading all these posts that the top options for ease of electronic tickets and vouchers are probably 1) CO Refundable 2) Delta non-refundable?
Old Feb 9, 2009, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mzx
I am in the NYC region and given all the airline options here I don't think I would have a problem using any of the carriers. I have 80K miles, but it seems safer to buy up to 90K biz to keep it entirely domestic (sounds like most intl. fares carry more risk of not being transferable to domestic, etc.).

Would it be safe to say after reading all these posts that the top options for ease of electronic tickets and vouchers are probably 1) CO Refundable 2) Delta non-refundable?
Please explain more about 1) International to domestic and domestic to international,
2) AA and UA

Thank you!
Old Feb 9, 2009, 11:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by [email protected]
The woman confirmed the change to $ 1,800 - she says Citi did it a week ago - She also said that those who are earning points via a linked Smith Barney account still get $ 2700.
Since I have Citi investment with SB, I inquired if I could get it. She said that the system does not show a linked SB account.
So I went to my Citi/SB invest banker and asked to open a "Financial Management Account". That's a $ 125 fee. I signed the paper work and was told that it takes few days to get this processed.
On line at TYN it says imply that the "FMA card" - a MC - need to be enrolled.
Do you know if having a Smith Barney Premier pass card will also qualify?
Old Feb 10, 2009, 6:49 am

CO Refundable ticket for 140K TYP

Has anyone been able to find non-refundable CO tickets to Hawaii for 140K TYPs ? I'm having a hard time finding these. Almost all the tickets are fully refundable. Based on some earlier posts, I'm a bit leery of booking refundable CO tickets as these may get refunded back to the original form of payment instead of an e-cert.
Has anyone here booked a fully refundable ticket thru expedia/TYN and got a refund as an e-cert ?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by peeyurr
for those who canceled UA through the phone, did you get the voucher along with the new ticketed travel plans?

I received my new ticket but no voucher.

Thanks in advance!
The voucher is the second page of the ticket book.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:00 am

Sigh I give up 1800$ here I come.
Do we have to pay the taxes associated with the fare?
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:36 am
sy7

I just redeemed a domestic RT ticket (20K points) to close out one account.

The agent will first quote you the taxes that include the 7.5% excise fee. However, it was really easy to ask them to charge you only the expedia taxes (they need to get approval from a supervisor, but that seems automatic). This basically gives you flexibility--if you find a fare that shows as ~$430 on expedia, by all means pay the 7.5% excise fee yourself since it will make it under $400. For fares that show as $398, there is no need to pay the ~$25 7.5% excise fee.

The expedia displayed taxes for fares to Hawaii (or for international fares) are the same as the TYN taxes, so you don't get this flexibility.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:44 am

I am utterly confused by delighted?? I booked EWR -- YVR and cancelled it?? I called them and I got disconnected. But when I looked my flight says:

! Your itinerary cannot be retrieved because it has been cancelled. You may use the portion of your ticket that has not been flown towards a new trip by selecting the Change Flight link below. A change fee may apply.
This reservation is Cancelled.

It says that an ETC will be sent for the remaining amount after I book a flight.. happy days!~

No CHANGE fee either

I still don't know how long the quasi ecert would last, quasi as in all you do is type in your confirmation # and last name and a credit for about 2000$ comes up.. not secure IMO.
TIA

EDIT: I guess I caught them while they were changing my itinerary, I was on the phone... so they do have the ability to refund the itinerary instantly to the confirmation number. I specifically asked for an ETC though and they said okay its taken care of but be careful... they didn't even have my address, how would they have any idea where to send it to!!!

So I gave them my address and took down the Reps name I hope I get my ETC soon. First thing I will do it to book a weekend trip to CALI on it! 500 extra miles for booking online now too!

Last edited by enigmatic; Feb 10, 2009 at 10:55 am
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:49 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by enigmatic
Does anyone know how long this cancellation will last?

TIA
I believe it's one year.

Edit to add: The $ was stored under your confirmation and since it was a refundable fare the difference between your new and old booking could have been refunded to citi easily - good thing you did it over the phone and asked for an ETC. However, you should have gotten the PIN on the spot and asked for your address to mail it - if they didn't give it to you on the phone they can still change their mind and 'be nice' and refund.

Last edited by friedablass; Feb 10, 2009 at 11:10 am Reason: further explanation
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:35 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by sy7

The expedia displayed taxes for fares to Hawaii (or for international fares) are the same as the TYN taxes, so you don't get this flexibility.
I noticed this on my booking yesterday. I was surprised when the taxes and base fare matched what was online. I actually got caught short (or over I guess) since I searched for base fares slightly above 1K but found an alternate option pretty quickly.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sy7
I just redeemed a domestic RT ticket (20K points) to close out one account.

The agent will first quote you the taxes that include the 7.5% excise fee. However, it was really easy to ask them to charge you only the expedia taxes (they need to get approval from a supervisor, but that seems automatic). This basically gives you flexibility--if you find a fare that shows as ~$430 on expedia, by all means pay the 7.5% excise fee yourself since it will make it under $400. For fares that show as $398, there is no need to pay the ~$25 7.5% excise fee.

I redeemed two domestic RT ticket (20K points) that listed as $298 each in expedia last year (before I know about this and the lower I could find was south west $250). Total tax and fee came up to $92 for both. I asked about the tax and fee and was told they could not be reduced.

So did you just ask them to add the tax to the ticket price?
Thanks!
Old Feb 10, 2009, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by enigmatic
I am utterly confused by delighted?? I booked EWR -- YVR and cancelled it?? I called them and I got disconnected. But when I looked my flight says:

! Your itinerary cannot be retrieved because it has been cancelled. You may use the portion of your ticket that has not been flown towards a new trip by selecting the Change Flight link below. A change fee may apply.
This reservation is Cancelled.

It says that an ETC will be sent for the remaining amount after I book a flight.. happy days!~

No CHANGE fee either

I still don't know how long the quasi ecert would last, quasi as in all you do is type in your confirmation # and last name and a credit for about 2000$ comes up.. not secure IMO.
TIA

EDIT: I guess I caught them while they were changing my itinerary, I was on the phone... so they do have the ability to refund the itinerary instantly to the confirmation number. I specifically asked for an ETC though and they said okay its taken care of but be careful... they didn't even have my address, how would they have any idea where to send it to!!!

So I gave them my address and took down the Reps name I hope I get my ETC soon. First thing I will do it to book a weekend trip to CALI on it! 500 extra miles for booking online now too!
Which airline was that? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.