Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2009, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by friedablass
I just paid a CO change fee w/ PPE and only the airport codes for the NEW booking posted to my statement - still a great deal in my opinion!
Correct.

However when the flight points were posted, 2x were posted - 1 from the original tkt new itinerary, 1 from the new tkt new itinerary. In my experience, the 2nd tkt booked (for travel companion) also posted the flight pts because I did it over the phone on one sweep - rebooking of mine, then using residual value to book travel companion, paying phone booking fee for both. So I got back the equivalent of the $150 tkt change fee in the form of over 15K TYPs as they were Transcon tkts FLL-IAH-YVR.

Subsequent bookings though, were all done online and no extra fee involved. CO also does not offer BOB in flight, so there is no way to generate more flight pts from subsequent bookings.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 12:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
Correct.

However when the flight points were posted, 2x were posted - 1 from the original tkt new itinerary, 1 from the new tkt new itinerary. In my experience, the 2nd tkt booked (for travel companion) also posted the flight pts because I did it over the phone on one sweep - rebooking of mine, then using residual value to book travel companion, paying phone booking fee for both. So I got back the equivalent of the $150 tkt change fee in the form of over 15K TYPs as they were Transcon tkts FLL-IAH-YVR.

Subsequent bookings though, were all done online and no extra fee involved. CO also does not offer BOB in flight, so there is no way to generate more flight pts from subsequent bookings.
That is fantastic that you covered the change fee via flight points! But, how did the flight points post 2x if only one set of airport codes showed up on the statement? (Irrespective of the companion booking because I didn't book a 2nd ticket.)
Old Feb 13, 2009, 2:18 pm

Programs: aa, onepass, skymiles
Clarify DELTA eVoucher

Still pretty confused about turning a FP Bus Class ticket into a usable credit.

I called DL CS (twice)and this is what they told me:

1) first book the BC tik; will get an Electronic Ticket # ("ET");
2) when ready to XCL, DL will annotate the ET to show its stored value -- which subtracts the change fee (typically, $150); thus, you pay nothing
extra out of pocket when you XCL;
3) when ready to re-book, use the ET # to pay for the new booking;
any value left is issued as an eVoucher;
4) the eVoucher expires 1 year after original booking date;
5) the eVoucher can only be used by the person who made the original
booking -- not anyone else ("non-transferable");

I had thought there was a way to use the residual voucher to book flights
for family. So did I read wrong here ? Or is this peculiar to DL?

Thanks
Scott
Old Feb 13, 2009, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by smk48
Try IAD-GRU-- the Z fares are just below $3600 ($3570 something, I think) and tickets to SA are at the same TYP level as Europe. Fool around with the dates to make sure you can get the Z fare. Change fee is $200 I believe.

Can anyone confirm that for int'l flights, the taxes that TYP charges are exactly what expedia shows as opposed to the differential in the taxes shown for domestic flights? Thanks!
Thanks. Some other forumers answered your 2nd question for me yesterday. The taxes should be identical to what expedia shows since there is no excise tax.

I am also trying Asia 240k points = $4800 since I have 237.5k points left. I tried different routings but only come up with Fare Basis Code: ZXR90.

The rules below do not indicate that the new travel date has to start before 1 year anniversary of original booking date.

--
IF CHANGES ARE MADE TO OTHER THAN THE FIRST
TICKETED FLIGHT THE FARE LEVELS IN EFFECT AT
TIME OF ORIGINAL TICKET ISSUE WILL APPLY
PROVIDED THE NEW ITINERARY QUALIFIES FOR
ALL THE PROVISIONS OF THE ORIGINALLY
TICKETED FARE /
IGNORING ADVANCE RESERVATION OR TICKETING
REQUIREMENTS. --IF THE NEW ITINERARY QUALIFIES
FOR THE ORIGINALLY TICKETED FARE / BUT RESULTS
IN A HIGHER FARE THE DIFFERENCE IN FARE AND
THE CHANGE FEE MUST BE COLLECTED AT TIME OF
REISSUE. --IF THE NEW ITINERARY QUALIFIES FOR
THE ORIGINALLY TICKETED FARE BUT RESULTS IN A
LOWER FARE / NO REFUND WILL BE MADE. HOWEVER
THE DIFFERENCE IN FARE WILL BE APPLIED TOWARDS
THE CHANGE FEE AND ANY RESIDUAL VALUE WILL BE
RETURNED TO THE PASSENGER IN THE FORM OF A
NON-REFUNDABLE TRAVEL VOUCHER VALID FOR
TRAVEL ON UNITED AIRLINES ONLY.
--
IF CHANGES BY THE PASSENGER NO LONGER QUALIFY
FOR THE ORIGINALLY TICKETED FARE / FULL VALUE
OF THE ORIGINAL TICKET MAY BE APPLIED TOWARDS
UPGRADE TO EQUAL OR HIGHER QUALIFYING FARE -
USING FARES IN EFFECT ON THE ORIGINAL
TICKETING DATE UPON PAYMENT OF CHANGE FEE
CONTAINED IN THIS RULE AND ANY DIFFERENCE OF
FARE.

FULL VALUE OF A WHOLLY UNUSED TICKET MAY BE
APPLIED TOWARDS PURCHASE OF A NEW TICKET PRICED
AT -CURRENT- FARE LEVELS UPON PAYMENT OF THE
CHANGE FEE CONTAINED WITHIN THIS RULE AND ANY
DIFFERENCE IN FARE PROVIDED -
----ORIGINAL RESERVATIONS ARE CANCELED PRIOR TO
ORIGINALLY SCHEDULE FLIGHT --- AND ---
RESERVATIONS FOR NEW ITINERARY ARE MADE AND
TICKETS REISSUED NO LATER THAN 1 YEAR FROM
DATE OF ISSUE ON ORIGINAL PURCHASED TICKET.

Last edited by busterbaxter; Feb 13, 2009 at 5:58 pm
Old Feb 13, 2009, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by friedablass
That is fantastic that you covered the change fee via flight points! But, how did the flight points post 2x if only one set of airport codes showed up on the statement? (Irrespective of the companion booking because I didn't book a 2nd ticket.)
The flight pts apparently are tracked by ticket numbers which makes sense as the system assumes one passenger per ticket. There is apparently no mechanism to match passenger name with the itinerary, because my name with same itinerary and dates show up twice - one associated with a ticket number (old and new).

On my statement, there are 3 sets of identical airport codes - one each for the $25 booking fee, and one for the $150 ticket change fee. The 2x $25 fee associated with the new ticket numbers and the $150 fee associated with the old ticket number (make sense too as this is to change the old itinerary) with the same itinerary of the new tickets.

I guess you would have to book it on the phone so the additional $25 phone fee yield the additional flight points.

In my case I had to book it over the phone because I booked 2 tickets against the old ticket, so in order to get it done simultaneously, an agent must be involved.

On an OT, I have an AA RTW award booking and the tax being paid with PPE, to travel in April. The award was cancelled but the refund came back under different ticket numbers as the tkts had been reissued a couple times before they were finally cancelled due to BA cancelled our flight. It would be very interesting to see if flight points would still post - the itinerary was MIA-YYZ-LHR-IST-LHR ... (only 4 segments show up as Citi system can only take in 4 segments, the rest have to be manually submitted.) These 4 segments would be 7920 miles, x 2 = 15840 miles, if posted, should "deplete" either 1/2 or 2/3 of cumulated balance of purchase points. Subsequently I booked another OW award in May for MIA-LAX-AKL-SYD-SIN ... paid tax on the PPE - that should clean up whatever unmatched bal of purchase points, as the miles would be 14098 x 2 = 28196.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 13, 2009 at 7:33 pm
Old Feb 13, 2009, 8:51 pm
sy7

Flight points are extremely easy to get for "free", and you should match the credit card sign up bonus and any spend you put on the card.

I posted this elsewhere, but I find that buying Southwest tickets is the easiest way. All Southwest tickets are changeable (and some are refundable, eg Senior fares which aren't that expensive). Purchase a direct transcon flight (~$400 for a roundtrip senior fare OAK-FLL). Slightly modify it by adding stops, connecting at different airport (some have more expensive taxes), etc. Each $1-3 modification when charged to your card will get you the full miles for the flights. You can easily get >30K miles before having to start over. Since you are getting new eticket numbers with each new charge without having a refund associated with the old ticket numbers, Citi has no idea that the flights have been changed and will credit you with the flight points.

If you have no plans to fly Southwest, do this with refundable Senior fares and request a refund after a couple of weeks. Otherwise, you can use the funds for another Southwest flight within the next year.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by sy7
Flight points are extremely easy to get for "free", and you should match the credit card sign up bonus and any spend you put on the card.
I thought you had to actually fly the route to get the flight points carried over to your typ account. Mine don't go over with just a credit card purchase of an airline ticket as far as I can tell.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by sy7

I posted this elsewhere, but I find that buying Southwest tickets is the easiest way. All Southwest tickets are changeable (and some are refundable, eg Senior fares which aren't that expensive). Purchase a direct transcon flight (~$400 for a roundtrip senior fare OAK-FLL). Slightly modify it by adding stops, connecting at different airport (some have more expensive taxes), etc. Each $1-3 modification when charged to your card will get you the full miles for the flights. You can easily get >30K miles before having to start over. Since you are getting new eticket numbers with each new charge without having a refund associated with the old ticket numbers, Citi has no idea that the flights have been changed and will credit you with the flight points.

If you have no plans to fly Southwest, do this with refundable Senior fares and request a refund after a couple of weeks. Otherwise, you can use the funds for another Southwest flight within the next year.
This is one of those posts that divides folks on here. Some will say your post should be burried, because one of the last remaining loopholes should be kept "private" from Citi/TYN. But, it also hides it from other FTers. Others are thankful because you've found a amethod which many FT'ers (and others) can take advantage of and may not feel so bad about it, due to recent shady moves by TYN program.

Without taking a position - I congratulate you thus far on making the most of the program. =)
Old Feb 14, 2009, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by sy7

Do you know if it might work in following situation with other airlines (say AA)? I book a refundable ticket and pay with Citi card. Then I call up airline and change date which should result in a new ticket #. Then cancel and request a refund which should result in a refund with a different ticket #. Please let me know (PM is fine). Thanks.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by scottsd

2) when ready to XCL, DL will annotate the ET to show its stored value -- which subtracts the change fee (typically, $150); thus, you pay nothing

Thanks
Scott
I am also interested in learning the detailed steps involved with DL. If anybody can elaborate it, it will be very helpful. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 11:00 am

Does anyone know a good AA $1800 route? I found some JFK-LAX/SFO for $1,948 ($3!!!!)

I checked on AA and the fares are $974 per segment plus $21 in taxes, matching what Expedia prints out.

Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2009, 12:37 pm

Programs: PC Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by gv111
I am also interested in learning the detailed steps involved with DL. If anybody can elaborate it, it will be very helpful. Thanks in advance.
See my comment in the next post.

Last edited by awtravel; Feb 14, 2009 at 12:47 pm
Old Feb 14, 2009, 12:43 pm

Programs: PC Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by scottsd

Thanks
Scott
Step 1 through 4 are correct.

Step 5: Incorrect. The evoucher/ecredit residual is transferable. You can book ticket for anyone using that evoucher/ecredit. I had booked tickets on Delta using ecredit.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Fold0rDie
Does anyone know a good AA $1800 route? I found some JFK-LAX/SFO for $1,948 ($3!!!!)

I checked on AA and the fares are $974 per segment plus $21 in taxes, matching what Expedia prints out.

Thanks

can someone confirm on the taxes? i dont understand why its only $21 in taxes only. Is the majority of the taxes already calculated into the fare price?
Old Feb 14, 2009, 1:31 pm

First Question: Does anyone know of a good itinerary that will give me the max $1800 value for $90K TYN redemption on Continental Airlines?

I'm trying to plan a multi-city trip to the Caribbean for my husband and me, departing LAX to the Caribbean, then back to SEA. Continental will be the best airline to take me there, and the tickets would cost around $700 right now. Since the trip is not RT, I wouldn't be able to redeem points for a fixed point ticket. So I'd like to give this strategy a try before I no longer have the chance to in two weeks!

Second Question: Will it be worth it for me to do this? If I have read correctly, I will need to find a ticket that is around $1935 (because of excise taxes of 7.5% of $1800) on Expedia in order to reach the max of $1800 base fare.

So I redeem 90K for the ticket via TYN and pay around $200 (a guess) for all taxes. Then I wait a couple days and contact Continental to cancel the ticket, assuming it's non-refundable. Now, will I receive the $1800 plus taxes in the form of a voucher?

And then when I go to rebook the ticket using my voucher, I'll just have to pay $150? So it will cost me $150 (change fee) to get $2000 in CO credits?

Thanks everyone for your help. This is a lot to cram in at the last minute before fixed point flights go bye bye.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.