Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2009, 8:43 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by budblab
I was searching from my home airport bcs I thought it would be less likely to arouse any suspicion from the TYN agent,
I'm sure the agent doesn't care where you are flying. I'm sure they don't really care that we are cashing these tickets in. Why should they?
Old Feb 3, 2009, 8:46 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by moondog
Aside from the generic JFK-LAX/SFO, there are still lots of routes that come very close to 2700 (assuming this new 1800 cap was accidentally implemented a month early).
How would this be accidentally implemented a month early? In one month there will be NO fixed redemptions, not a new redemption scale.

I have little doubt this is for real.

So, can anyone provide some good examples for $1,800 on AA or UA?

Last edited by The Mileage Millionaire; Feb 3, 2009 at 8:54 am
Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:02 am

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Originally Posted by fsa_ea
How would this be accidentally implemented a month early? In one month there will be NO fixed redemptions, not a new redemption scale.

I wish it were not for real. I am so disappointed. If anyone has any ideas of redeeming at the $2,700 level, please advise.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:07 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
JFK-LAX on UA and AA booked way in advance (say September or so) come out to $1970 on Kayak. I haven't checked on Expedia yet, but that should come out just under the new limit.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:14 am

Programs: AA EXP / UA Lifetime Gold / Marriott Lifetime Plat / SPG Plat / Hyatt Diamond / HH Diamond / Avis CC
As I said earlier I did OXR-LAX-JFK-LAX-OXR yesterday and it came to $2675 + taxes. This was one that the agent found me. Expedia still shows this route at $2622 + taxes. Booked 11/26-11/30.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I didn't think they were allowed to make changes without advance written notice.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:20 am

BFL is quite a lovely city to visit and depart from.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:25 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by joediver
As I said earlier I did OXR-LAX-JFK-LAX-OXR yesterday and it came to $2675 + taxes. This was one that the agent found me. Expedia still shows this route at $2622 + taxes. Booked 11/26-11/30.
Wait, you are saying the fare on Expedia did not match the fare you purchased? I don't like the sound of that...

Since I'm redeeming points, I don't generally ask the agent how much it is pricing out to (assuming I am looking at the same fare). Has anyone else experienced a fare pricing out different than you thought?
Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP / UA Lifetime Gold / Marriott Lifetime Plat / SPG Plat / Hyatt Diamond / HH Diamond / Avis CC
Originally Posted by doctor15
Wait, you are saying the fare on Expedia did not match the fare you purchased? I don't like the sound of that...
No, the original fare I found went OXR-LAX-SFO-JFK. The agent suggested the OXR-LAX-JFK routing. When I asked what the difference in taxes were he gave me the complete price breakdown. He was very helpful. I don't know about other agents but this guy knew exactly what was going on and wanted to help.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:10 am

Given everything else that is going on in this last month of 3x TYN redemptions, the last thing I would worry about would be TYN agents' "suspicions" of what people are trying to do with redemptions. As long as it is within the rules of TYN the departure and destination points are irrelevant. Any TYN agent who even mentions issues of why you are doing whatever you want to do should be questioned as to why they are doing so. Frankly, it is none of their business. If you choose a less confrontation approach, how difficult is it to say "Oh, I'll be working in (departure point) at that time and it's just easier to leave from there than come back home"?
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:25 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

I didn't think they were allowed to make changes without advance written notice.
I certainly hope you are right!
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:33 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Originally Posted by doctor15
JFK-LAX on UA and AA booked way in advance (say September or so) come out to $1970 on Kayak. I haven't checked on Expedia yet, but that should come out just under the new limit.
Comes out to $1,812.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Exp Plat, UA 1K MM, DL Plat Hyatt Globalist, MGM Noir
Change Confirmed

I jsut confrimed the change with Thank You (or should that be F-You) Network.

Domestic Biz $1800
Asia $4800
Middle East/Africa $4000

This is completely unacceptable. They had the gall to tell me that the redemption levels have always been on a "sliding dynamic scale based on airfare prices." I say BS to that. Hosed again by Citibank.

Addded 11:58AM CST: Just called back and learned that the changes effect Citibank, Expedia, and Premeir Pass Elite card holders. The change does not effect Smith Barney or Chairman card holders.

Last edited by OnAMileHigh; Feb 3, 2009 at 10:59 am Reason: added info
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:55 am

The vast majority of reward/points/miles programs have it written in their terms and conditions that changes (and in some cases even termination) can happen at any time without any kind of advance notification. Perhaps hard to believe but it is the harsh reality. Most would not do so because of the PR nightmares but perhaps if they are costing themselves a great deal of money and need to cut their loses (e.g. Citi?) they have that option.

Can't you just see the public announcement? We are doing this to help with the bailout stimulus?
Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:09 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
So those of us on Chairman have 2800 still? That means I am doing a S**Tload of booking today!
Originally Posted by OnAMileHigh
I jsut confrimed the change with Thank You (or should that be F-You) Network.

Domestic Biz $1800
Asia $4800
Middle East/Africa $4000

This is completely unacceptable. They had the gall to tell me that the redemption levels have always been on a "sliding dynamic scale based on airfare prices." I say BS to that. Hosed again by Citibank.

Addded 11:58AM CST: Just called back and learned that the changes effect Citibank, Expedia, and Premeir Pass Elite card holders. The change does not effect Smith Barney or Chairman card holders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.