Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2009, 2:03 pm

"System is updating" is call center talk for "Computers are down," whatever the reason.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 2:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy Card, CO Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Amex Centurion and its perks...
Need of the collective wisdom of FT

I am in need of the collective wisdom of the my fellow Flyertalkers. I have already used two 90k domestic awards and have just shy of 300k TYN points left. My question is in searching the posts it appears that if one has more than the 90k points it makes sense for him/her to use a higher award. Is this correct? That is does using a 120k (or higher) award assuming one can find a ticket close to the cap beneficial to the member in this last ditch effort to use the points prior to the March deadline when the program is ruined!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas...
Old Jan 30, 2009, 2:44 pm

Programs: TYN, PPE, Aeroflot Bonus
International tickets on most of the airlines tend to have higher rebooking fees and greater restrictions. However, the voucher value/point ratio is just as high, if not higher, since you only have one ticket to cancel for a large voucher value instead of multiple smaller value tickets.

If you can live with the restrictions on International, non-refundable tickets, they are a quick way to use points for large vouchers.

This thread has talked about the different restrictions for international flights with the different airlines.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 3:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy Card, CO Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Amex Centurion and its perks...
That is exactly the question...what is the value/point ratio on international tickets and how does one calculate that ratio (e.g. if the ticket is $2500 and you use 90,000 what does that mean?)

Thanks again.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 4:24 pm

Again, thumbs up to OP for this helpful thread.

For those redeeming 90K over to UA. Had some helpful reps (or at least fooled me into believing this..haha) who helped me with general questions about UA travel credits:

1st rep (Domestic desk) said travel credits can only be used by the original passenger- that the credits, like the original itenerary are NOT transferrable. It sounds logical infact.

2nd rep (International desk) confirms this is the case. But, (as the OP points out in the thread) said the workaround is to complete at least 1 transaction in your own name, and residual credit can be used for others. So if you and the significant other want to use the credit, book two separate reservations, book your own first, then book theirs.

Thought i'd mention this so other folks realize how information from one rep may differ from another. Both are correct, but only one went into further detail.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 6:19 pm

Programs: TYN, PPE, Aeroflot Bonus
Originally Posted by bas5838
That is exactly the question...what is the value/point ratio on international tickets and how does one calculate that ratio (e.g. if the ticket is $2500 and you use 90,000 what does that mean?)

Thanks again.
[ticket value minus taxes minus rebooking fees]/points = cents/point

Delta International example:

[7261 (total ticket) - 82.00 (taxes) - 400 (change fee) - 50 (3rd party ticketing fee)] / 240,000 points = 2.8 cents / point

UA Domestic example:

[2899.01 (total ticket) - 265.24 (taxes) - 150 (change fee) - 25 (3rd party fee)] / 90,000 points = 2.79 cents / point
Old Jan 31, 2009, 7:14 am

Delta route to Max benefit

The additional points I need to reach 90,000 will post in about 10 days. Delta's prices seem to be decreasing. I am having difficuty finding a fare to maximize the Domestic business ticket. I can find one Fairbanks to ABG. Would that qualify as domestic? Also Vancouver to ABG is also good. I'm just concerned that either of these routes would limit rebooking options. I really want a route that when I rebook I can either book domestic or international.

I can't believe I am upset that air fares are decreasing !!! Any help in finding a good route for max benefit would be greatly appreciated......
Old Jan 31, 2009, 7:51 am

ABG is an Australian airport code. What US/Canada airport did you mean? In any case, flights from domestic USA airports to Canadian airports are OK for the 90K TYP flights.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by upgrader
ABG is an Australian airport code. What US/Canada airport did you mean? In any case, flights from domestic USA airports to Canadian airports are OK for the 90K TYP flights.
Sorry, I meant ABY. I thought I would use PDX to ABY but the fare has decreased. I'm looking for a domestic close to 2800-2900.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 8:32 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by upgrader
In any case, flights from domestic USA airports to Canadian airports are OK for the 90K TYP flights.
Are Canadian airports considered domestic for rebooking purposes? Or would you have to exchange the ticket for an international destination? Does this vary by airline?
Old Jan 31, 2009, 12:25 pm

need help if this is AA itin is OK to do

Folks,
I spent a few hours and read all the posts:

i found an itin that works ...almost - two ques :

1. will this be international ticket for the first booking since we go to TORONTO on the way.

Also can this be even booked thru TYN since one part if first class on expedia??

Thanks,

Burbank (BUR)
to Dallas (DFW)
AA American Airlines
Flight: 528
1First Class, Breakfast, S80

Dallas (DFW)
to Toronto (YYZ)
AA American Airlines
Flight: 488
2Business Class, Lunch, Boeing 737-800

Toronto (YYZ)
to New York (JFK)
AA American Airlines
Flight: 4771
Operated by: AMERICAN EAGLE COMMUTER SERVICE/AMERICAN EAGLE
Old Jan 31, 2009, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

donnoyet: Canada is fine. BTW, to the person that asked about DL to Canada, it counts as domestic. Also, Canada is the only way I know of to milk DL to the 2700 limit far in advance.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 1:06 pm

moondog: thanks for your reply. do u think i will find this partly first class ticket with TYN?
Old Jan 31, 2009, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by donnoyet
moondog: thanks for your reply. do u think i will find this partly first class ticket with TYN?
TMK, all fares premium between the US and Canada are regarded as "business class". The rationale is that some companies permit their employees to book C on international itineraries. By calling it "business", they get to milk extra revenues.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
donnoyet: Canada is fine. BTW, to the person that asked about DL to Canada, it counts as domestic. Also, Canada is the only way I know of to milk DL to the 2700 limit far in advance.
Moondog...

I take it that means that if I do use a Canadian destination to book a "Domestic" business class that when I cancel that ticket, I can use the credit to book either domestic or international? The cost is more up front but it will ultimately be worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.