Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Platinum AMEX has been upgraded [includes 2011 conversion discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Platinum AMEX has been upgraded [includes 2011 conversion discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2008, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Enjoy the card!

Keep in mind that Citi Plat Amex does come with a free concierge service also.
I was unaware of that. Is it any good?
Old Mar 31, 2008, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
"Blackout Date Selected
Travel with this offer is not permitted on one or more of the dates you have selected. The following dates are blacked out:

07/02/2008 - 07/06/2008"
That absolutely sucks. I thought it was based on Expedia $ value; why would it be blacked out then? Or is this just the entre service?
Old Mar 31, 2008, 3:36 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by BrianV
I thought it was based on Expedia $ value; why would it be blacked out then? Or is this just the entre service?
Methinks you are confusing two features. ThankYou points can be redeemed for flights through Expedia. There are no blackout dates or capacity restrictions, but there is a cost cap which effectively limits availability. The companion program is separate. No points are redeemed. Expedia is not involved. Different rules.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Methinks you are confusing two features. ThankYou points can be redeemed for flights through Expedia. There are no blackout dates or capacity restrictions, but there is a cost cap which effectively limits availability. The companion program is separate. No points are redeemed. Expedia is not involved. Different rules.
Yeah I realized that after I signed up. Now that I have the card and my online account is setup, I have a few questions.

1) I heard some different answers for this, can someone answer with certainty. How do I get the fixed rate mileage? I have both a Citi TYP account and an Expedia one.

2) Where do I sign-up for the Citi Monitoring thingy; I know I can probably find this on my own, but I thought I'd ask in case anyone had a direct link.

Thx
Old Apr 2, 2008, 3:25 pm

Looks like I got the identity monitor working just fine. I can't add my expedia account but it says to call so I'll do that.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by BrianV
I was unaware of that. Is it any good?
It's VIP Service desk. They are pretty good so far. They've been able to do both domestic and international dinner reservations with out a hitch. I suspect that Amex Plat is a little better with special deals and pre-blocked tables at trendy places, but as far as low Annual fee credit cards go, they have been the best.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 4:56 pm

Thanks. It's of little value to me. I never used my AMEX PLTs desk. It just feels weird taking advice from a stranger. Also, I have two people I've worked with with Centurions and these are the two experiences; one experience with each person:

1. Trying to get dinner in Vegas with friend 1. Calls Centurion to try and get us a seat at Nobu and no-can-do. Del Frisco = no can do, Eiffel Tower Restaurant = no again. I can't remember where they got us into, but they did suggest some place I never heard of that wasn't all that packed. So clearly it's not like a Centurion concierge calls and places make room.

2. Reserved two hotel rooms in Great Neck, NY for me and boss (person #2). Get to hotel, receptionist tells us they only show one reservation and they have no vacancy. Only solution offered was to call AMEX since he said the error was on their part or for us to share a room.

Boss calls Centurion, explains situation. Centurion calls front desk (we're standing there) and the guy says, "There's nothing I can do like five times and starts getting rude and ultimately hangs up." There's only like two nice hotels in Great Neck, Centurion called the other one and also no vacancy. We gave up and ended up sharing a room.

I kind of understand the hotel experience since you can't make a room out of nothing. Giving us an open room (I'm sure others hadn't checked in since it was early in the day still, 4pm or so) would've caused issues for other travelers. However, I would think the clout of Centurion might make a hotel consider shafting someone who came in on a cheaptickets reservation and work on getting them different accommodations, but no one did anything out of the ordinary for us here. I felt the service was no different than had I booked with Expedia and got shafted. No apologies or offers, etc.

However, situation#1, restaurants. There's really not set limit on how many people can dine. Some parties take longer than usual, some take less. Fitting in a "VIP" guest with a total party of 2 is doable. Maybe another party waits an extra 10 minutes, maybe they make another table, etc. To hear 4-5 restaurants deny the Centurion concierge really devalued them in my mind.

I suppose I see the value in just getting in a cab and saying, "Make me a reservation at somewhere nice.", but I feel I could get that with a much lesser concierge. With Centurion, I expect to get admitted to places others wouldn't.

I spend 1/2 of what's required for Centurion, and I'd love to have one for some of the other benefits and overall clout, but not for the concierge service.

All that said, I doubt I'll ever use this one's.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:25 pm

3 FREE VISITS, PRIORITY PASS LOUNGE ACCESS:

Do card members have their first three visits (over the life of the card) for free? Or, is it three free visits per year? CSR seemed stumped when I called.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by baarndh
3 FREE VISITS, PRIORITY PASS LOUNGE ACCESS:

Do card members have their first three visits (over the life of the card) for free? Or, is it three free visits per year? CSR seemed stumped when I called.
It is 3 visits in per year, but it is based on your Priority Pass membership year and not CITI

PS: Welcome to Flyertalk!
Old May 12, 2008, 6:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jeelele
1. Login to your expedia.com account.
2. Under account overview, go to ThankYou Network options and click on "Update your ThankYou account number".
3. Delete your ThankYou Network account number.
4. Hit "Accept these changes".
5. Go back to the Account overview.
6. Click on "Learn how to enroll in ThankYou Network".
7. Hit "Sign in" under "Have an Expedia Account".
8. It will take you to "Become a ThankYou Member" page. Fill in all the information as if you are signing up for ThankYou Network membership for the first time. Complete this process to generate a new ThankYou Network account number.
9. Go back to "Account overview" by clicking on "Account" at the top of the page and enter or update your newly generated ThankYou Account number into the "ThankYou Network options". In most cases, it should have already been updated automatically when you generate a new account number.
10. Copy this account number and go to you ThankYou Network account at www.thankyou.com and add this new account as one of the sponsor.
11. Bingo!
THIS DOES NOT WORK!!! I get the following error: " We're sorry, we don't recognize your Account number. Please verify the number and try again. "
Old May 12, 2008, 9:31 am
DH

It is 3 visits in per year, but it is based on your Priority Pass membership year and not CITI
How about guests? Free for first 3 visits as well?
Old May 12, 2008, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, Merrill+, Citi AMEX Chairman
Originally Posted by DH
How about guests? Free for first 3 visits as well?
NO. However, some clubs may let you admit guests for free.
Old May 12, 2008, 2:36 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
THIS DOES NOT WORK!!! "
Computer databases are not always updated instantly. Wait a few days, try to merge the Expedia assigned ThankYou account number to the one you are using to accumulate points. If it still doesn't work call ThankYou Network customer service (not the customer service number for your card), and ask them to fix it.
Old May 12, 2008, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
Computer databases are not always updated instantly. Wait a few days, try to merge the Expedia assigned ThankYou account number to the one you are using to accumulate points. If it still doesn't work call ThankYou Network customer service (not the customer service number for your card), and ask them to fix it.
Do you think it matters if I have the same or a different user name for TY and Expedia accounts?
Old May 12, 2008, 6:09 pm

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Do you think it matters if I have the same or a different user name for TY and Expedia accounts?

No, it definitely does not matter. For both TY and Expedia, usernames are independent of account numbers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.