Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Platinum AMEX has been upgraded [includes 2011 conversion discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Platinum AMEX has been upgraded [includes 2011 conversion discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:09 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
That sucks that you had to fight for the points. Just makes your blood boil.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Choice Diamond / Starwood Plat
Conversion letter

Hi there! Just curious if anyone has a copy/scan of their letter they got from Citi detailing the conversion from Platinum AMEX to Premier. I'm fighting Citi over a lot of lost ThankYou points and was curious to see how the language was worded on that letter.

Thank you!
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
No chip on citi premier amex card

Was wondering if anyone has a grandfathered (no annual fee) Citi Premier American Express card that was converted from the old Citi Platinum American Express? Since it is still the old design (the greenish card) there is no chip. I’ve called a few times for a replacement and I still get the same card design.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Satforlegroom
Was wondering if anyone has a grandfathered (no annual fee) Citi Premier American Express card that was converted from the old Citi Platinum American Express? Since it is still the old design (the greenish card) there is no chip. I’ve called a few times for a replacement and I still get the same card design.
Citi is not marketing Amex cards any more, so any Amex card you have with Citi is "in limbo" / "frozen in time" so to speak.

If you want a chip card from Citi, you have to convert to an MC, which is about all that Citi issues these days (with the main exception of Costco which is a Visa).
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Thanks I figured that was probably the case since Citi hasn’t actively marketed their Amex network cards for a
number of years now. (Guess they are happy to keep the cards active to collect the residual interchange) I’m open to converting to a MC as long as I can keep the no fee Premier card. Someone who works at Citi told me a while ago that they honor previous commitments like that but if it’s considered a Product change triggering an AF I’ll keep the Amex card sans chip.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Satforlegroom
Thanks I figured that was probably the case since Citi hasn’t actively marketed their Amex network cards for a
number of years now. (Guess they are happy to keep the cards active to collect the residual interchange) I’m open to converting to a MC as long as I can keep the no fee Premier card. Someone who works at Citi told me a while ago that they honor previous commitments like that but if it’s considered a Product change triggering an AF I’ll keep the Amex card sans chip.
I don't know what an Amex Premier card was. Does it earn 3x on "the widest definition of" travel and 2x on enterainment the way current $95 AF Premier MC card does? Or does it earn 1x mostly, which would make it more like the no-AF TYP Preferred card?

The only no-AF cards that earn TYP that you can presumably convert to are either the Preferred card or the AT&T Access card (which earns 2x at many but not all "online" stores).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.