Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Platinum AMEX has been upgraded [includes 2011 conversion discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Platinum AMEX has been upgraded [includes 2011 conversion discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2008, 11:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA 1MM
Originally Posted by keithisme
Is the 75,000 point cap include the 15,000 signup bonus, or is the 75,000 separate?
Bonus seems separate from the cap, I guess. That's the usual wording from citi.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 2:32 pm

Does anybody had success with signing up for Identity Monitor for Authorized user. I got the following error message -

We were unable to verify your eligibility for the free monthly membership. If you are a brand new Citi® Platinum American Express® cardmember who meets all the eligibility criteria outlined in your cardmember benefits material, it may take an additional 7 business days for our records to update. Please return after the 7 business days to try again. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you feel you may have entered your account number incorrectly you may try again now.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 2:38 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by curious_miles
Bonus seems separate from the cap, I guess. That's the usual wording from citi.
That is not my understanding, I thought the cap included any bonus miles earned.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 4:46 pm

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Originally Posted by Beckles
That is not my understanding, I thought the cap included any bonus miles earned.
I can confirm this that the bonus is definitely part of the cap. Have already reached 150K cap including the 15K bonus.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 6:02 am

Programs: DL, BA, AA, UA, HHonors, PC
When I signed up I thought with the PriorityPass the cardholder could bring in 2 guests free of charge. However now I see a fee for every guest. Thus, during the first 3 visits, are guests allowed free of charge? Does anyone have experience with this or was I mistaken? Thanks.

Also, a bump to keithisme's posts: Can authorized users access the CitiIdentitiy Monitor for free? To be eligible it seems you just need a CITI Plat AE account which all authorized users would. I would like make sure no one steals Mrs. boilers identity. Budblab have you been charged for trying the 2nd user? Thanks again.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 6:24 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by boilers
When I signed up I thought with the PriorityPass the cardholder could bring in 2 guests free of charge. However now I see a fee for every guest. Thus, during the first 3 visits, are guests allowed free of charge? Does anyone have experience with this or was I mistaken? Thanks.

Also, a bump to keithisme's posts: Can authorized users access the CitiIdentitiy Monitor for free? To be eligible it seems you just need a CITI Plat AE account which all authorized users would. I would like make sure no one steals Mrs. boilers identity. Budblab have you been charged for trying the 2nd user? Thanks again.
No, I have not been charged for the second user for ID Monitor or PriorityPass.
My PriorityPass allows the cardholder 3 free visits/year, and guests are $24 each.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 6:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...I thought with the PriorityPass the cardholder could bring in 2 guests free of charge. ...was I mistaken? .
It sounds as if you are confusing the Priority Pass version bundled with the Chairman card (annual fee $500) versus the Priotity Pass bundled with Platinum (annual fee $95/125). The Chairman version permits unlimited visits with up to two guests at no charge because the cost is built into the annual fee. The Platinum version allows three complimentary visits per 12 months, but all subsequent visits and all guests are charged $24/27 per person per visit.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 7:11 am

Programs: DL, BA, AA, UA, HHonors, PC
[QUOTE=boilers;9354375]When I signed up I thought with the PriorityPass the cardholder could bring in 2 guests free of charge. However now I see a fee for every guest. Thus, during the first 3 visits, are guests allowed free of charge? Does anyone have experience with this or was I mistaken? Thanks.
QUOTE]

Answering part of my own post, it seems many priority pass lounges allow access for the cardholder and 2 guests free of charge (especially DL and UA). That must be where I read it. Have people had success in gaining business associates in these lounges?
Old Mar 4, 2008, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, Merrill+, Citi AMEX Chairman
[QUOTE=boilers;9354603]
QUOTE]

Answering part of my own post, it seems many priority pass lounges allow access for the cardholder and 2 guests free of charge (especially DL and UA). That must be where I read it. Have people had success in gaining business associates in these lounges?

Citi Chairman AMEX has a special priority pass program that allows two free guests

Citi Platinum AMEX does NOT have this benefit

Some lounges allow guests with no charge. It depends on the lounge.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 9:20 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by awake
Some lounges allow guests with no charge.
In some instances the guest provision may apply only to members of the airline club, and not necessarily to those entering with a daypass or Priority Pass. I realize the text in the Priority Pass listings suggests otherwise, but I surmise this is often because the task of completing the lounge profile was delegated to someone who did not understand the context.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 8:42 pm

Anyone else encounter the problem of getting billed for IdentityMonitor? I checked my card activity and there was a 12.95 charge for it. I called Citi and of course they're clueless about this benefit with the card.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by PaulNEPats
Anyone else encounter the problem of getting billed for IdentityMonitor? I checked my card activity and there was a 12.95 charge for it. I called Citi and of course they're clueless about this benefit with the card.
I have been using this service since I got my card several month ago and has not been charged. Did you use a sign up using a link posted in this thread? If not and you used a http://www.identitymonitor.citi.com/ link then they will charge you the fee.

I think the correct link is http://www.identitymonitor.citi.com/...ource=IMN00188
Old Mar 10, 2008, 2:36 am

Programs: United 1P
With the new $125 fee, are there any better offers with sign-up bonus more than 15,000 thank you points? Thanks !
Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
I'm interested in this card to supplement my current offering of AMEXs and/or replace some. Currently I'm using SPG and HH AMEXs. 2 years ago I canceled my AMEX PLT because the SPG was netting me better rewards. However, with the two years in a row of reward hikes over at *wood, I'm considering going with something else. The TYP 3x/5x seems really good but I have no basis of comparing anything since I can't get access to www.entre.com.

It says 25k miles gets you access to a free domestic ticket. That means $8333.33 = free domestic ticket which is better than the $20k I'm spending on SPG.

However, I've NEVER used my starpoints for miles since I get so many miles from flying for business anyhow. However, I regularly use the points for hotel redemption. I average 100K+ starpoints a year and value them at 3.5% return roughly.

I'm curious what sort of return I'd get on TYP to starpoints. How many TYP are required to get 10k starpoints. How many for 35,000 Hilton points, etc?

Finally, I can't get access to entre but I'm curious the value of the companion pass match. I'm assuming it's full-fare like pricing right? It's not like getting 2-for-1 on Expedia or AA.com deep discount is it?

Anyone with experience with MR, Starpoints, or Honors points via AMEX, can you please let me know your comparison of this card against those?

Thanks,
Brian
Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by BrianV
I'm interested in this card to supplement my current offering of AMEXs and/or replace some. Currently I'm using SPG and HH AMEXs. 2 years ago I canceled my AMEX PLT because the SPG was netting me better rewards. However, with the two years in a row of reward hikes over at *wood, I'm considering going with something else. The TYP 3x/5x seems really good but I have no basis of comparing anything since I can't get access to www.entre.com.

It says 25k miles gets you access to a free domestic ticket. That means $8333.33 = free domestic ticket which is better than the $20k I'm spending on SPG.

However, I've NEVER used my starpoints for miles since I get so many miles from flying for business anyhow. However, I regularly use the points for hotel redemption. I average 100K+ starpoints a year and value them at 3.5% return roughly.

I'm curious what sort of return I'd get on TYP to starpoints. How many TYP are required to get 10k starpoints. How many for 35,000 Hilton points, etc?

Finally, I can't get access to entre but I'm curious the value of the companion pass match. I'm assuming it's full-fare like pricing right? It's not like getting 2-for-1 on Expedia or AA.com deep discount is it?

Anyone with experience with MR, Starpoints, or Honors points via AMEX, can you please let me know your comparison of this card against those?

Thanks,
Brian
This might help you: https://www.thankyou.com/faq.jspx
You cannot transfer typ to any frequent flyer or guest programs.

Also the value of Citi amex platinum has been already discussed, i think even in this thread. Most of the people will tell you it is not the best deal. I have done comparison shopping on entre.com and usually I would save up to $50 on 2 tickets, but flight options would be very limited. Although not perfect, I prefer Amex Platinum 2 for 1 deal on domestic flights.

Also don't forget regarding other benefits that Citi Amex Platinum is offering like identity theft monitor and priority pass membership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.