Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Platinum AMEX has been upgraded [includes 2011 conversion discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Platinum AMEX has been upgraded [includes 2011 conversion discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2008, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, Merrill+, Citi AMEX Chairman
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Have you tried searching? Search option is an amazing thing. The link is listed in this thread. Have you checked post #70? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=70

Enjoy the card!

...better still www.citicards.com
Old Jan 10, 2008, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by drjhwang
Citibank does not allow credit line re-allocations on their consumer cards. I don't know when they started this policy, but there are numerous reports on FatWallet that confirm this to be true.
This is not true at all. I've moved around credit limits between my Citi cards several times, without issue.

Just moved nearly all my credit to the 5% Cash Rewards card w/ the 3 month promo...
Old Jan 10, 2008, 1:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
I recently moved part of my credit limit from my Citibank Diamond Preferred card to my new Citibank Amex Platinum card.

It took only 3 minutes on the phone (and no pull of my credit report, thankfully, which another credit card company had to do when I moved >$20K limit between cards).

Of note, though, is that the rep initially said, "Hmm... let me do a quick check to make sure these cards are compatible for moving limits" or something like that, and afterwards explained that there were a number of Ciibank card types (unspecified) that could not have limits moved between them and other types.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by ThatAdamGuy
...there were a number of Ciibank card types (unspecified) that could not have limits moved between them and other types.
My suspicion is that it's basically any card with a low APR balance transfer available. They will try to prevent you from increasing the credit limit on those.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by canuck_in_pa
My suspicion is that it's basically any card with a low APR balance transfer available. They will try to prevent you from increasing the credit limit on those.
Not at all, it based on if it's business card vs. personal, or if they are in the same class....

I've moved $$ from a card to one with a 0% for life offer... you can move it in general without issue. I don't believe i've ever been denied.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Originally Posted by anaggie
mine is still showing under the TY acct...am supposed to call back on Jan 10th to see what the resolution is pending the investigation of the extra 75k pts they owe me to this day
Now it is the the 10th and the investigation has not been resloved. I will wait till the end on Jan to see if I get the extra points owed otherwise I am cancelling this POS card. I get way better service from Chairman and they do not talk down to me like the CSR's at this card.

They talk to me as if I should be lucky to even have this card and THEY are doing me a favor. Well, I would rather move the spend over the spend over to Chairman where I get treated well.

So, come my JAN statement, this issue will be resolved once and for all !!!
Old Jan 11, 2008, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by psubill78
Not at all, it based on if it's business card vs. personal, or if they are in the same class....

I've moved $$ from a card to one with a 0% for life offer... you can move it in general without issue. I don't believe i've ever been denied.
Generally correct. You can move lines from personal to business, but cannot do the reverse.

I am actually surprised that Diamond can move line to AMEX Platinum - may be because in essence they are both TYN cards. I distinctly remember I cannot cancel Citi HHonor via the "consolidation" method because the line cannot be moved to other Citi cards. But then, Citi HHonor required a separate log-in at the time, so it was a different animal from other Citi cards.

I am almost certain that if the cards come from the SAME division, they can all be re-allocate. Look at your credit report you should be able to tell which Citi division each card is coming from, by looking at the inquiries information.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 8:10 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I think the ability to transfer credit is also affected by the card class. As a matter of policy there may be minimum and maximum lines of credit associated with "standard", "gold", "platinum" accounts.

Also, transferring credit from a card with "no preset limit" is complicated because it can effectively increase Citi's exposure. To create a simple illustration, let's say a customer had two Citi accounts, one is the Hilton VISA Signature card with a $25,000 revolving limit but "no preset limit" for spending, and the other is a Platinum Mastercard with a hard limit of $20,000. The customer reallocates $15,000 from the VISA limit to the Mastercard limit, resulting in $10,000 on VISA and $35,000 on Mastercard. Then the customer makes a $30,000 purchase with the VISA, and the transaction is approved because of the "no preset limit" feature. Under the original allocation the customer would still have access to $20,000 credit on the Mastercard, but if the credit line transfer were permitted this would be increased to $35,000.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, Merrill+, Citi AMEX Chairman
Originally Posted by mia
I think the ability to transfer credit is also affected by the card class. As a matter of policy there may be minimum and maximum lines of credit associated with "standard", "gold", "platinum" accounts.

Also, transferring credit from a card with "no preset limit" is complicated because it can effectively increase Citi's exposure. To create a simple illustration, let's say a customer had two Citi accounts, one is the Hilton VISA Signature card with a $25,000 revolving limit but "no preset limit" for spending, and the other is a Platinum Mastercard with a hard limit of $20,000. The customer reallocates $15,000 from the VISA limit to the Mastercard limit, resulting in $10,000 on VISA and $35,000 on Mastercard. Then the customer makes a $30,000 purchase with the VISA, and the transaction is approved because of the "no preset limit" feature. Under the original allocation the customer would still have access to $20,000 credit on the Mastercard, but if the credit line transfer were permitted this would be increased to $35,000.
It is also affected by the gravitational pull of the rings Saturn.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by awake
It is also affected by the gravitational pull of the rings Saturn.
I think you might be confusing that with sun spots. I've been told solar activity is very important.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 6:33 pm
Suspended

I wish I could product transfer to either chairman or this plat amex from my current aa mc.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by stalk
I wish I could product transfer to either chairman or this plat amex from my current aa mc.
why dont you apply for either? Since you are transferring between AMEX and MC, I highly doubt CITI will let it happen.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 12:18 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Note that the credit limit on this card applies to the revolving balance only. I was given a relatively low limit on this card (a hair over $10,000), and I've been over that limit for the past week or so without issue (i.e., no problem making additional charges), as long as it's paid down by the due date there is no issue (I pay in full my previous statement balance each month).
Old Jan 12, 2008, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
Note that the credit limit on this card applies to the revolving balance only. I was given a relatively low limit on this card (a hair over $10,000), and I've been over that limit for the past week or so without issue (i.e., no problem making additional charges), as long as it's paid down by the due date there is no issue (I pay in full my previous statement balance each month).
I have a credit limit of 11k and charged up to 47k in one month for house material. I callled their credit dept and the CSR ran some aproval charges all the way up to 77K !!!

So, I am allowed to charge to 77k with a written limit of 11k. Amazing !!!
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by anaggie
I have a credit limit of 11k and charged up to 47k in one month for house material. I callled their credit dept and the CSR ran some aproval charges all the way up to 77K !!!

So, I am allowed to charge to 77k with a written limit of 11k. Amazing !!!
Now try to get TY points over 75K!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.