Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Platinum AMEX has been upgraded [includes 2011 conversion discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Platinum AMEX has been upgraded [includes 2011 conversion discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by BrianV

It says 25k miles gets you access to a free domestic ticket. That means $8333.33 = free domestic ticket which is better than the $20k I'm spending on SPG.
You can also get a free domestic ticket up to $399 in value before taxes with only 20,000 thank you points if you are eligible for fixed flight redemption option. If you are not, you can easily become eligible by enrolling in expedia sponsored thank you account and linking it to your Amex Citi Plat thank you account.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
This might help you: https://www.thankyou.com/faq.jspx
You cannot transfer typ to any frequent flyer or guest programs.

Also the value of Citi amex platinum has been already discussed, i think even in this thread. Most of the people will tell you it is not the best deal. I have done comparison shopping on entre.com and usually I would save up to $50 on 2 tickets, but flight options would be very limited. Although not perfect, I prefer Amex Platinum 2 for 1 deal on domestic flights.

Also don't forget regarding other benefits that Citi Amex Platinum is offering like identity theft monitor and priority pass membership.
Unfortunately I fly AA exclusively and PP isn't of much value
Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
You can also get a free domestic ticket up to $399 in value before taxes with only 20,000 thank you points if you are eligible for fixed flight redemption option. If you are not, you can easily become eligible by enrolling in expedia sponsored thank you account and linking it to your Amex Citi Plat thank you account.
That's not too shabby considering it'd be only $6500ish for a free domestic ticket. Are there any negatives to linking the accounts?

Thanks!!
Old Mar 25, 2008, 8:27 pm

Do I need to do anything to my Expedia account before hand? I just created an Expedia TY account and it definitely isn't fixed fare as even a cheap $183 R/T ticket is 24,000TY points.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 8:31 pm

Do I need to do anything to my Expedia account before hand? I just created an Expedia TY account and it definitely isn't fixed fare as even a cheap $183 R/T ticket is 24,000TY points.
You can get fix point reward through phone only
Old Mar 25, 2008, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by khlay
You can get fix point reward through phone only
Thanks!

I know this is vague, but here's an example.

I just bought two airline tickets on expedia for $205 each (out the door). $410 total. I just saw those same tickets on TY for 22,100 points each or 44,200 total. Based on the 3x/5x that's not a bad reward.

On entre.com what would that ticket cost, since I'd get a second one free? I assume it would cost more than $205 right?
Old Mar 25, 2008, 8:54 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...&postcount=391
Old Mar 25, 2008, 8:55 pm

Thanks!

I know this is vague, but here's an example.

I just bought two airline tickets on expedia for $205 each (out the door). $410 total. I just saw those same tickets on TY for 22,100 points each or 44,200 total. Based on the 3x/5x that's not a bad reward.

On entre.com what would that ticket cost, since I'd get a second one free? I assume it would cost more than $205 right?
Post your specific itinerary and I can look it up for you
Old Mar 25, 2008, 9:00 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
On entre.com what would that ticket cost...
Entre's companion fare program is based on zones. The fare from zone 5, which includes Austin, to each of the other zones is fixed and does not vary with the actual cost of the specific ticket. The program operator can control which carriers, routings and times are offered at that price.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 9:06 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I just bought two airline tickets on expedia for $205 each (out the door). $410 total. I just saw those same tickets on TY for 22,100 points each or 44,200 total.
You don't need to spend much time doing this type of research. The online booking engine simply converts money to points at the rate 1 = $0.01.

The interesting reward is the Fixed Flight program which cannot be booked online. You can learn alot if you make time to read the Travel Rewards section of ThankYou's FAQ...

https://www.thankyou.com/faq.jspx

Also, bear in mind that the Platinum card is capped at 150,000 points per calendar year.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 9:28 pm

Yeah the 150k sucks, but I'll switch back to SPG once I hit that target.

Thanks for the explanation. So I need to call to book fixed rate?
Old Mar 25, 2008, 9:30 pm

Post your specific itinerary and I can look it up for you
July 3rd, AUS-LAX 2 PAX - Flight 427
July 6th, LAX-AUS 2 PAX - Flight 2246

It was $418 all-in but I think it's gone up in price since I got it this morning. Right now it's $490 all-in. What's the price on entre?

Thanks a million!
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:54 pm

Well I bit the bullet and applied and got approved. At a minimum I'll get the 15k bonus points and cancel within a year but from the looks of it, it looks legit.

I looked at the Chairman since my business spending puts my combined AMEX usage at over 100k which may be enticing enough (along with great credit and good assets), however, I just couldn't find anything to justify all the extra coin; in fact for me, this PLAT offers more. I just don't use concierge services and don't demand a lot from customer service.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 8:18 pm

July 3rd, AUS-LAX 2 PAX - Flight 427
July 6th, LAX-AUS 2 PAX - Flight 2246

It was $418 all-in but I think it's gone up in price since I got it this morning. Right now it's $490 all-in. What's the price on entre?

Thanks a million!
"Blackout Date Selected
Travel with this offer is not permitted on one or more of the dates you have selected. The following dates are blacked out:

07/02/2008 - 07/06/2008"
Old Mar 26, 2008, 8:19 pm

Well I bit the bullet and applied and got approved. At a minimum I'll get the 15k bonus points and cancel within a year but from the looks of it, it looks legit.

I looked at the Chairman since my business spending puts my combined AMEX usage at over 100k which may be enticing enough (along with great credit and good assets), however, I just couldn't find anything to justify all the extra coin; in fact for me, this PLAT offers more. I just don't use concierge services and don't demand a lot from customer service.
Enjoy the card!

Keep in mind that Citi Plat Amex does come with a free concierge service also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.