Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: vah4883
Limited-time offers
Hilton HHonors American Express card. 80,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months; no annual fee. Ends May 31, 2017
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card. 100,000 points for spending $3,000 ; $95 annual fee.
Hilton HHonors American Express card application page. 75,000 points for spending $1,000 in 3 months; no annual fee.
Public offer expired Feb 1, 2017 (this link brings up a page: "This campaign has expired. Thank you for your interest."), but Refer a Friend links still active. This one has the referral ID stripped out.

Citi HH Visa 40K application page (spend $1K/4 mos.)
  • This offer does not contain an explicit 24-month restriction.
    If you apply using this link & are not instantly approved, DO NOT CALL CITI.
    Calling in risks alerting Citi to the offer and having it withdrawn.

Ongoing offers
Amex HH Surpass Card
  • Annual fee: $75, no first-year waiver.
  • Signup bonus: 75K points for spending $3K in the first 3 months.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

FlyerTalk discussion thread: The Hilton HHonors® Surpass(SM) Card from American Express
Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card
  • Annual fee: $95, no first-year waiver.
  • Signup bonus: 2 free weekend nights after $2500 in spend within four months. These free nights are valid at all Hilton redemption categories, including Waldorf Astoria properties.
  • Anniversary bonus: 1 free weekend night each year after $10,000 in spend.
  • Earning: 10 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend, 5 points per dollar on air and car rental, and 3 on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • No foreign currency transaction fees.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Weekend Night Certificates offer is not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Card account that was opened or closed in the past 24 months.."

Flyertalk discussion thread: Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card
Citi HH Visa 60K application page. You can also apply by calling 1-866-615-2274.
  • No annual fee.
  • Signup bonus: 60K points for spending $1K in the first 4 months
  • Earning: 6 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 3 points/$ at U.S. supermarkets, drugstores & gas stations; and 2 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Silver status for as long as you have the card.
  • Fast track To Gold status: After four qualifying stays within your first 91 days of cardmembership, receive Gold status through the end of the following calendar year.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Hilton HHonors Bonus Points offer not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card account that was opened or closed in the past 24 months."

Flyertalk discussion thread: Citi Hilton HHonors VISA [60k-75k, read Wiki to choose]
Basic Amex HH Card
Offer for 50K points (spend $750/3mos.) + $50 credit for first purchase: Make a dummy reservation on Hilton site. Offer will appear on page before final booking. (Cannot be linked to directly.)
Offer for 50K points (spend $750/3mos.)
  • No annual fee.
  • Earning: 7 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 5 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; and 3 on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Silver status for as long as you have the card and Gold status after $20,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card
FAQ
1. Are these cards churnable?
As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

In August 2016, Citi began inserting language into applications and landing pages requiring a 24-month wait from the date of the opening or closure of any Citi Hilton card. Previously, the Citi Hilton Signature Visa and Reserve cards were on separate clocks for each applicant. Now there is a single 24-month clock reset by open/close of either type of card. For more info, see the wiki at Citi Hilton HHonors VISA [60k-75k, read Wiki to choose].

2. I have met the spending. When will my bonus post?
For Amex cards, the bonus will post a few days after meeting the spend. The points from the actual spend will post after statement is generated. For Citi products, bonus points post only at statement close.

3. What happened to the Amex drugstore category spending bonus?
Changes to Hilton Amex cards as of May 2013 are explained here:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...at-we-thought/

4. What is the link to upgrade from no fee card to Surpass card for 50,000 after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months?
This link redirects to this landing page. Application page.
You need to be logged into your Amex account first, then click on the link above, then click Upgrade. (This does not work for all people. It is suspected that only people that have had the no-fee card for at least one year are able to upgrade to the Surpass card.) There is generally no hard pull on your credit report for upgrading.

5. Does having one of these Hilton cards preclude me from successfully earning the signup bonus on a different one?
No. All four cards are separate products. Having (or having previously had) one of them has no effect on your bonus eligibility for the others--but note, as discussed in FAQ #1, that opening or closing any Citi Hilton card will affect your eligibility for any new Citi Hilton card bonus.

Print Wikipost

Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: HH Gold-IHG Plat
Yes, has anyone upgrade the NO AF citi card to the Reserve card?? Im hoping Citi has something along the lines of Amex.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:08 pm

man I goofed, regarding "any previous HHonors cards to be closed full 12 months in order to get new bonus".. has anyone received bonus otherwise?

Previous CS mentioned I was eligible for bonus pts, but latest CS said I was not since last HHonors was closed only 11 months ago...

probably flagged my account but has anyone tried regardless to get the bonus?

if they are pretty strict about it, then I might as well close it now (after just opening) to let the new 12 month period begin.

thanks much.

Last edited by midtownj; Feb 20, 2014 at 4:16 pm
Old Feb 20, 2014, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by midtownj
man I goofed, regarding "any previous HHonors cards to be closed full 12 months in order to get new bonus".. has anyone received bonus otherwise?

Previous CS mentioned I was eligible for bonus pts, but latest CS said I was not since last HHonors was closed only 11 months ago...

probably flagged my account but has anyone tried regardless to get the bonus?

if they are pretty strict about it, then I might as well close it now (after just opening) to let the new 12 month period begin.

thanks much.
You really really need to be accurate in counting your months with AMEX.

AMEX has it programmed into its system - the system would automatically deny you without any human touch.

Good luck in trying to get it. You would need a lot of such as very very very few positive data point has been reported in the AMEX forum on each of their cards when people failed to observe the 12 months rule. The rare positive outcomes involved writing to the Executive Office and were for the AMEX own in house cards that earn Membership Rewards.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You really really need to be accurate in counting your months with AMEX.

AMEX has it programmed into its system - the system would automatically deny you without any human touch.

Good luck in trying to get it. You would need a lot of such as very very very few positive data point has been reported in the AMEX forum on each of their cards when people failed to observe the 12 months rule. The rare positive outcomes involved writing to the Executive Office and were for the AMEX own in house cards that earn Membership Rewards.
thank you much, I guess I'll just close ASAP to get the new 12 month period rolling... arghh, can't believe I was off by a month sheeh.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 9:35 pm

i Hace a free citi Hilton card, can I apply for the free AMEX card again?
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cubachao
i Hace a free citi Hilton card, can I apply for the free AMEX card again?
Of course, since Citi and AMEX are different financial institutions.

If you have had the AMEX cc before, I assume you know you must have cancelled your previous AMEX cc over 12 months ago to qualify for a new one.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge

If you have had the AMEX cc before, I assume you know you must have cancelled your previous AMEX cc over 12 months ago to qualify for a new one.
Thanks. that is a good news. i dont have any AMEX card now.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:16 pm

Interestingly just applied for Surpass 75K bonus (link from wiki). Instantly approved, but website stated unable to provide a temporary credit limit; as such, will give me $60 statement credit. Sweet. Now AF is more like $15 for this first year
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge

but i only have citi card for about 3 months.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cubachao
but i only have citi card for about 3 months.
Citi and AMEX are 2 different, unrelated companies even though they both partner with HHonors to issue HHonors cards.

What you have with Citi, does not have anything to do with what you may want from AMEX.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, IHG Plat AMB, Hilton Gold, SPG
sorry if this question has been answered, I have just applied for the citi hhonors reserve and was approved after calling to verify. From my understanding, I will have gold status with Hilton as long as I am a card holder, but generally how long does it take for me to be promoted to gold? Would I be instantly promoted once I activate the card? The gold status will be useful for me since I am going to stay at Hilton in two weeks.
TIA!

Edit: Just check on the T&C and find that it would be posted in 4-6 weeks. I know that with IHG, we can contact Chase and ask them to promote my status immediately. Is it the case for Citi and Hilton?

Last edited by sincera4565; Feb 25, 2014 at 5:44 pm Reason: update info
Old Feb 25, 2014, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by sincera4565
sorry if this question has been answered, I have just applied for the citi hhonors reserve and was approved after calling to verify. From my understanding, I will have gold status with Hilton as long as I am a card holder, but generally how long does it take for me to be promoted to gold? Would I be instantly promoted once I activate the card? The gold status will be useful for me since I am going to stay at Hilton in two weeks.
TIA!
I don't know for sure, but my best guess is Gold starts as soon as you activate the card. So hopefully the card arrives before your stays begin.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by sincera4565
how long does it take for me to be promoted to gold? Would I be instantly promoted once I activate the card? The gold status will be useful for me since I am going to stay at Hilton in two weeks.
It should take a week or so from when you are approved. It is not related to you receiving or activating the card.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:53 pm

For the 75k offer of Amex Surpass card, is it safe to close if after the points posted? I got the card on 1/5 and already have the bonus points posted. Now I am planning to apply for another amex card but I already have 4 personal amex card, so I probably will be asked to close one card and I want to close the surpass card if there is no harm to the points. Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by kasan08
For the 75k offer of Amex Surpass card, is it safe to close if after the points posted? I got the card on 1/5 and already have the bonus points posted. Now I am planning to apply for another amex card but I already have 4 personal amex card, so I probably will be asked to close one card and I want to close the surpass card if there is no harm to the points. Thanks!
It depends on what type of AMEX cards you have. AMEX treats "credit" cards differently than "charge" cards. The latter being ones you have to pay in full every month. You can only have 4 of one of those types, but more of the other, but I can never remember which is which.

So if you have, say, 2 of one type, and 2 of the other, you won't have to close anything to get another. Wish I could be more specific. Maybe someone else can post which AMEX cards are which, and which type you can only have 4 of...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.