Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: vah4883
Limited-time offers
Hilton HHonors American Express card. 80,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months; no annual fee. Ends May 31, 2017
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card. 100,000 points for spending $3,000 ; $95 annual fee.
Hilton HHonors American Express card application page. 75,000 points for spending $1,000 in 3 months; no annual fee.
Public offer expired Feb 1, 2017 (this link brings up a page: "This campaign has expired. Thank you for your interest."), but Refer a Friend links still active. This one has the referral ID stripped out.

Citi HH Visa 40K application page (spend $1K/4 mos.)
  • This offer does not contain an explicit 24-month restriction.
    If you apply using this link & are not instantly approved, DO NOT CALL CITI.
    Calling in risks alerting Citi to the offer and having it withdrawn.

Ongoing offers
Amex HH Surpass Card
  • Annual fee: $75, no first-year waiver.
  • Signup bonus: 75K points for spending $3K in the first 3 months.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

FlyerTalk discussion thread: The Hilton HHonors Surpass(SM) Card from American Express
Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card
  • Annual fee: $95, no first-year waiver.
  • Signup bonus: 2 free weekend nights after $2500 in spend within four months. These free nights are valid at all Hilton redemption categories, including Waldorf Astoria properties.
  • Anniversary bonus: 1 free weekend night each year after $10,000 in spend.
  • Earning: 10 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend, 5 points per dollar on air and car rental, and 3 on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • No foreign currency transaction fees.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Weekend Night Certificates offer is not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Card account that was opened or closed in the past 24 months.."

Flyertalk discussion thread: Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card
Citi HH Visa 60K application page. You can also apply by calling 1-866-615-2274.
  • No annual fee.
  • Signup bonus: 60K points for spending $1K in the first 4 months
  • Earning: 6 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 3 points/$ at U.S. supermarkets, drugstores & gas stations; and 2 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Silver status for as long as you have the card.
  • Fast track To Gold status: After four qualifying stays within your first 91 days of cardmembership, receive Gold status through the end of the following calendar year.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Hilton HHonors Bonus Points offer not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card account that was opened or closed in the past 24 months."

Flyertalk discussion thread: Citi Hilton HHonors VISA [60k-75k, read Wiki to choose]
Basic Amex HH Card
Offer for 50K points (spend $750/3mos.) + $50 credit for first purchase: Make a dummy reservation on Hilton site. Offer will appear on page before final booking. (Cannot be linked to directly.)
Offer for 50K points (spend $750/3mos.)
  • No annual fee.
  • Earning: 7 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 5 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; and 3 on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Silver status for as long as you have the card and Gold status after $20,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card
FAQ
1. Are these cards churnable?
As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

In August 2016, Citi began inserting language into applications and landing pages requiring a 24-month wait from the date of the opening or closure of any Citi Hilton card. Previously, the Citi Hilton Signature Visa and Reserve cards were on separate clocks for each applicant. Now there is a single 24-month clock reset by open/close of either type of card. For more info, see the wiki at Citi Hilton HHonors VISA [60k-75k, read Wiki to choose].

2. I have met the spending. When will my bonus post?
For Amex cards, the bonus will post a few days after meeting the spend. The points from the actual spend will post after statement is generated. For Citi products, bonus points post only at statement close.

3. What happened to the Amex drugstore category spending bonus?
Changes to Hilton Amex cards as of May 2013 are explained here:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...at-we-thought/

4. What is the link to upgrade from no fee card to Surpass card for 50,000 after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months?
This link redirects to this landing page. Application page.
You need to be logged into your Amex account first, then click on the link above, then click Upgrade. (This does not work for all people. It is suspected that only people that have had the no-fee card for at least one year are able to upgrade to the Surpass card.) There is generally no hard pull on your credit report for upgrading.

5. Does having one of these Hilton cards preclude me from successfully earning the signup bonus on a different one?
No. All four cards are separate products. Having (or having previously had) one of them has no effect on your bonus eligibility for the others--but note, as discussed in FAQ #1, that opening or closing any Citi Hilton card will affect your eligibility for any new Citi Hilton card bonus.

Print Wikipost

Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Latest information available in wiki.

Last edited by michael_v; Dec 13, 2013 at 11:28 am
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: aa
This is a good idea i like finding all the info on one page.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
why not consolidate all Hilton point cards like the CITI HH and the HA cards?

A lot of people who are looking to bulk up on points may not know about them and the only thing relatively special about AMEX is AXON.

If I where looking to hoard, I'd want to know that HA transfers to HH and that CITI has an app for an app-o-rama
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Well, if we add HA, we would need to add Virgin Atlantic too. So I am not sure if this is going in the right direction.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 4:17 pm

I was under the impression that my standard non-surpass Amex Hilton was also earning me 6x at gas stations and supermarkets?

.. now that I've taken a look, those two categories do still show on my Amex statement. Did I get grandfathered in under an old offer?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by decibel08
I was under the impression that my standard non-surpass Amex Hilton was also earning me 6x at gas stations and supermarkets?

.. now that I've taken a look, those two categories do still show on my Amex statement. Did I get grandfathered in under an old offer?
Seems like you have not kept up with the new "enhancement" from AMEX.

You will receive a notice in your Feb statement - the 6x is going down to 5x effective May 1st.

Drugstore and Telecom are no more after May 1.

Restaurant is an added category bonus.

The above changes are for the no fee card regardless when you first have the card.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank You for maintaining a dedicated thread

I would like to thank michael_v for his effort in maintaining a dedicated AMEX HHonor thread.

I also would like to point out that michael_v has brought us the up-todate AMEX HHonor offers in the past, for which I personally have been benefited.

So a big Thank You again!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
I wish we had a sticky that was up to date (the current one isn't) for the two areas, Hotel and Airlines. It would be a task, but it would be handy. No affiliate links, just the best offer and a straight link.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:30 pm

I just want to chime in on another way to get points using Hilton AMEX.

You can downgrade from Surpass down to regular card and you can usually get a promotion to upgrade back to Surpass and if you spend $3,000 (in 3 or 4 months?) you will get additional 50,000. I have been doing this annually, usually in first quarter of the year, see if that works for you.

Cheers,

PedroNY
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:47 pm

So the regular (non-surpass) Amex Hilton card still earns 6 points/dollar today until April 30???? Can anyone confirm?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by PedroNY

You can downgrade from Surpass down to regular card and you can usually get a promotion to upgrade back to Surpass and if you spend $3,000 (in 3 or 4 months?) you will get additional 50,000. I have been doing this annually, usually in first quarter of the year, see if that works for you.

Cheers,

PedroNY
This is why I love FT so much... You don't see/hear such a crazy trick like this often... LOL
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:46 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by PedroNY

Cheers,

PedroNY
How often did you do it? I just upgraded to the Surpass card in Dec 12. ANy idea when to downgrade it to regular hilton amex card?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 2:01 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by PainCorp
I wish we had a sticky that was up to date (the current one isn't) for the two areas, Hotel and Airlines. It would be a task, but it would be handy. No affiliate links, just the best offer and a straight link.
(bolding mine)

You obviously have knowledge of some offers UA Fan doesn't. If you know there are newer offers than what were provided in this sticky master thread, why don't you PM OP the links so he may update the 1st post? As far as I kow, UA Fan has been updating that sticky thread and his latest post was about a day ago.

Nobody, OPs included, can single-handedly keep up with all the most recent CC offers without the help from fellow FTers. @:-) If everyone just wants to "grab and go" without contributing, FT wouldn't be as informative and useful as it is today. I don't think dismissing the effort and time from those who step up to compile and/or maintain a master thread is in the right spirit of FT community.

I hope michael_v, OP of this thread, will get as much help as possible, so this new compiled list of Amex Hilton can be a success.

Last edited by lin821; Feb 18, 2013 at 2:34 am Reason: one typo
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:33 am

Crap. so I have to cancel my regular hilton cards and wait 3 months before applying for the surpass?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:38 am

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by michael_v

3. So when can we churn this card?
This is how I interpret the T&C and it has been confirmed by a poster on a previous Hilton Amex card thread as per their interaction with Amex CS: if you have had the exact same card in the past, it needs to be closed for at least 12 months before applying again. Furthermore, any other Hilton Amex cards also need to be closed for at least 3 months.

It is slightly more complex than this. Let me give you an example with a timeline

1/1/2010 - apply & approve for HH AMEX
1/2/2011 - eligibility for another HH AMEX*#

*Same product must be closed for 12 months
# All other HH AMEXs must be closed for 90 days

So you really won't be able to apply for the same product until

1/2/2012

Essentially, they are churanble every 2 years

So, for example, you get the fee free and want surpass

1/1/2010 - Fee free
10/1/2010 - Cancel Fee Free
2/1/2011 - Apply Surpass (I wouldn't do it at the 90 day mark just in case)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.