Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: vah4883
Limited-time offers
Hilton HHonors American Express card. 80,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months; no annual fee. Ends May 31, 2017
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card. 100,000 points for spending $3,000 ; $95 annual fee.
Hilton HHonors American Express card application page. 75,000 points for spending $1,000 in 3 months; no annual fee.
Public offer expired Feb 1, 2017 (this link brings up a page: "This campaign has expired. Thank you for your interest."), but Refer a Friend links still active. This one has the referral ID stripped out.

Citi HH Visa 40K application page (spend $1K/4 mos.)
  • This offer does not contain an explicit 24-month restriction.
    If you apply using this link & are not instantly approved, DO NOT CALL CITI.
    Calling in risks alerting Citi to the offer and having it withdrawn.

Ongoing offers
Amex HH Surpass Card
  • Annual fee: $75, no first-year waiver.
  • Signup bonus: 75K points for spending $3K in the first 3 months.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

FlyerTalk discussion thread: The Hilton HHonors® Surpass(SM) Card from American Express
Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card
  • Annual fee: $95, no first-year waiver.
  • Signup bonus: 2 free weekend nights after $2500 in spend within four months. These free nights are valid at all Hilton redemption categories, including Waldorf Astoria properties.
  • Anniversary bonus: 1 free weekend night each year after $10,000 in spend.
  • Earning: 10 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend, 5 points per dollar on air and car rental, and 3 on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • No foreign currency transaction fees.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Weekend Night Certificates offer is not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Card account that was opened or closed in the past 24 months.."

Flyertalk discussion thread: Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card
Citi HH Visa 60K application page. You can also apply by calling 1-866-615-2274.
  • No annual fee.
  • Signup bonus: 60K points for spending $1K in the first 4 months
  • Earning: 6 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 3 points/$ at U.S. supermarkets, drugstores & gas stations; and 2 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Silver status for as long as you have the card.
  • Fast track To Gold status: After four qualifying stays within your first 91 days of cardmembership, receive Gold status through the end of the following calendar year.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Hilton HHonors Bonus Points offer not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card account that was opened or closed in the past 24 months."

Flyertalk discussion thread: Citi Hilton HHonors VISA [60k-75k, read Wiki to choose]
Basic Amex HH Card
Offer for 50K points (spend $750/3mos.) + $50 credit for first purchase: Make a dummy reservation on Hilton site. Offer will appear on page before final booking. (Cannot be linked to directly.)
Offer for 50K points (spend $750/3mos.)
  • No annual fee.
  • Earning: 7 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 5 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; and 3 on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Silver status for as long as you have the card and Gold status after $20,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card
FAQ
1. Are these cards churnable?
As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

In August 2016, Citi began inserting language into applications and landing pages requiring a 24-month wait from the date of the opening or closure of any Citi Hilton card. Previously, the Citi Hilton Signature Visa and Reserve cards were on separate clocks for each applicant. Now there is a single 24-month clock reset by open/close of either type of card. For more info, see the wiki at Citi Hilton HHonors VISA [60k-75k, read Wiki to choose].

2. I have met the spending. When will my bonus post?
For Amex cards, the bonus will post a few days after meeting the spend. The points from the actual spend will post after statement is generated. For Citi products, bonus points post only at statement close.

3. What happened to the Amex drugstore category spending bonus?
Changes to Hilton Amex cards as of May 2013 are explained here:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...at-we-thought/

4. What is the link to upgrade from no fee card to Surpass card for 50,000 after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months?
This link redirects to this landing page. Application page.
You need to be logged into your Amex account first, then click on the link above, then click Upgrade. (This does not work for all people. It is suspected that only people that have had the no-fee card for at least one year are able to upgrade to the Surpass card.) There is generally no hard pull on your credit report for upgrading.

5. Does having one of these Hilton cards preclude me from successfully earning the signup bonus on a different one?
No. All four cards are separate products. Having (or having previously had) one of them has no effect on your bonus eligibility for the others--but note, as discussed in FAQ #1, that opening or closing any Citi Hilton card will affect your eligibility for any new Citi Hilton card bonus.

Print Wikipost

Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by michael_v
Thanks for the link, too bad the 75k does not have the annual fee waived the first year.
Indeed... though I don't think the 60k does either
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Indeed... though I don't think the 60k does either
If you click on Rates and Fees, the pop-up says annual fee waived the first year.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:19 am

If you click on Rates and Fees, the pop-up says annual fee waived the first year.
You are right. I will update the wiki which says "unclear if waived".

In that case it's a real close call. $75 for an extra 15k is 0.5 cents per point, more than I personally value HH points
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:34 am
Original Poster

You are right. I will update the wiki which says "unclear if waived".

In that case it's a real close call. $75 for an extra 15k is 0.5 cents per point, more than I personally value HH points
I would say leave wiki as is. The main app page still says "$75 annual fee", therefore I think the warning should be in place.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:42 am

I would say leave wiki as is. The main app page still says "$75 annual fee", therefore I think the warning should be in place.
I beg to differ, t&cs are pretty clear to me, but frankly i do not care enough to protest further
Old Dec 13, 2013, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

I have added information about Citi cards to the wiki and the title has been changed to include Citi. People may want to continue discussion about all HHonors offers here instead of the individual Citi threads.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 3:00 pm

Programs: All of em...
I beg to differ, t&cs are pretty clear to me, but frankly i do not care enough to protest further
Anybody applied for the 60k card yet where it says there's a $75 annual fee on the app page but $0 annual fee first year on the T&C? Just wondering, because generally the annual fee is charged right away...
Old Dec 25, 2013, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by x712xdamx
Anybody applied for the 60k card yet where it says there's a $75 annual fee on the app page but $0 annual fee first year on the T&C? Just wondering, because generally the annual fee is charged right away...
print out the t&c then talk to amex customer rep, see what will happen
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: UA WN Delta Hilton Gold
Citi Hilton Honors 50,00 link is no longer working.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xelint
Citi Hilton Honors 50,00 link is no longer working.
I have updated the wiki with a more recent link from Sept 2013 that still works. It is the same offer for 50k after $1,000 in the first 4 months. There is no landing page because the offer came in an email. HTH
Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

I have added a better offer for the Citi Reserve and a different offer for the Citi Hilton Visa Signature to the wiki. It seems Citi is getting back at Amex after Amex added permanent Gold status on the Surpass card. Thanks vodkashine!

Last edited by michael_v; Dec 31, 2013 at 1:18 pm
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:21 pm

Apologies if this has been answered already - I've looked around but couldn't find a clear answer. Does anyone know if you can have both Amex cards (no-fee and Surpass) at the same time? I have a no-fee HH Amex card right now but the public sign-up offer for the Surpass is much better than the upgrade offer they're giving me.

Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: SW
Confirm deal?

I am new to this field and applied for the Citi Honors card on 12/31/13 and did not do a screenshot. I am now doing the smart thing of building an Excel of the cards I applied to and can't figure out the exact details of the offer I applied to like a rookie

I could swear that the offer was 2 free weekend nights and 40,000 bonus points and I really thought the annual fee was waived the first year.

I can't find this deal posted anywhere now.

Am I crazy - did anyone else see the offer for 2 free weekend nights and 40k bonus on new year eve?

In general, if I get approved will they send me the details for the promo I apparently applied for or do I have to track those myself?

Thanks!!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xdeeman
I am new to this field and applied for the Citi Honors card on 12/31/13 and did not do a screenshot. I am now doing the smart thing of building an Excel of the cards I applied to and can't figure out the exact details of the offer I applied to like a rookie

I could swear that the offer was 2 free weekend nights and 40,000 bonus points and I really thought the annual fee was waived the first year.

Am I crazy - did anyone else see the offer for 2 free weekend nights and 40k bonus on new year eve?

In general, if I get approved will they send me the details for the promo I apparently applied for or do I have to track those myself?

Thanks!!
To find the details of your signup bonus offer, you can call and ask. They usually do not come with the card or statements.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by xdeeman

I think you have conflated the 2 separate offers presented on the current public offer page.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.