Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: vah4883
Limited-time offers
Hilton HHonors American Express card. 80,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months; no annual fee. Ends May 31, 2017
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card. 100,000 points for spending $3,000 ; $95 annual fee.
Hilton HHonors American Express card application page. 75,000 points for spending $1,000 in 3 months; no annual fee.
Public offer expired Feb 1, 2017 (this link brings up a page: "This campaign has expired. Thank you for your interest."), but Refer a Friend links still active. This one has the referral ID stripped out.

Citi HH Visa 40K application page (spend $1K/4 mos.)
  • This offer does not contain an explicit 24-month restriction.
    If you apply using this link & are not instantly approved, DO NOT CALL CITI.
    Calling in risks alerting Citi to the offer and having it withdrawn.

Ongoing offers
Amex HH Surpass Card
  • Annual fee: $75, no first-year waiver.
  • Signup bonus: 75K points for spending $3K in the first 3 months.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

FlyerTalk discussion thread: The Hilton HHonors® Surpass(SM) Card from American Express
Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card
  • Annual fee: $95, no first-year waiver.
  • Signup bonus: 2 free weekend nights after $2500 in spend within four months. These free nights are valid at all Hilton redemption categories, including Waldorf Astoria properties.
  • Anniversary bonus: 1 free weekend night each year after $10,000 in spend.
  • Earning: 10 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend, 5 points per dollar on air and car rental, and 3 on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • No foreign currency transaction fees.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Weekend Night Certificates offer is not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Card account that was opened or closed in the past 24 months.."

Flyertalk discussion thread: Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card
Citi HH Visa 60K application page. You can also apply by calling 1-866-615-2274.
  • No annual fee.
  • Signup bonus: 60K points for spending $1K in the first 4 months
  • Earning: 6 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 3 points/$ at U.S. supermarkets, drugstores & gas stations; and 2 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Silver status for as long as you have the card.
  • Fast track To Gold status: After four qualifying stays within your first 91 days of cardmembership, receive Gold status through the end of the following calendar year.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Hilton HHonors Bonus Points offer not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card account that was opened or closed in the past 24 months."

Flyertalk discussion thread: Citi Hilton HHonors VISA [60k-75k, read Wiki to choose]
Basic Amex HH Card
Offer for 50K points (spend $750/3mos.) + $50 credit for first purchase: Make a dummy reservation on Hilton site. Offer will appear on page before final booking. (Cannot be linked to directly.)
Offer for 50K points (spend $750/3mos.)
  • No annual fee.
  • Earning: 7 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 5 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; and 3 on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Silver status for as long as you have the card and Gold status after $20,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card
FAQ
1. Are these cards churnable?
As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

In August 2016, Citi began inserting language into applications and landing pages requiring a 24-month wait from the date of the opening or closure of any Citi Hilton card. Previously, the Citi Hilton Signature Visa and Reserve cards were on separate clocks for each applicant. Now there is a single 24-month clock reset by open/close of either type of card. For more info, see the wiki at Citi Hilton HHonors VISA [60k-75k, read Wiki to choose].

2. I have met the spending. When will my bonus post?
For Amex cards, the bonus will post a few days after meeting the spend. The points from the actual spend will post after statement is generated. For Citi products, bonus points post only at statement close.

3. What happened to the Amex drugstore category spending bonus?
Changes to Hilton Amex cards as of May 2013 are explained here:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...at-we-thought/

4. What is the link to upgrade from no fee card to Surpass card for 50,000 after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months?
This link redirects to this landing page. Application page.
You need to be logged into your Amex account first, then click on the link above, then click Upgrade. (This does not work for all people. It is suspected that only people that have had the no-fee card for at least one year are able to upgrade to the Surpass card.) There is generally no hard pull on your credit report for upgrading.

5. Does having one of these Hilton cards preclude me from successfully earning the signup bonus on a different one?
No. All four cards are separate products. Having (or having previously had) one of them has no effect on your bonus eligibility for the others--but note, as discussed in FAQ #1, that opening or closing any Citi Hilton card will affect your eligibility for any new Citi Hilton card bonus.

Print Wikipost

Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2013, 6:51 pm

Question about churning and upgrading Hilton AMEX. Can I do the following?

Year 1 - Apply Hilton AMEX for signup bonus
Year 2 - Upgrade Hilton AMEX to Hilton Surpass for signup bonus
Year 3 - Cancel Hilton Surpass, Apply new Hilton AMEX for signup bonus
Year 4 - Upgrade 2nd Hilton AMEX to Hilton Surpass for signup bonus

I know AMEX signup bonus usually have the term : not valid if you had the same card in the last 1 year or cards from a similar series in the last 90 days. Is upgrading the Hilton to the Surpass the same as "closing" it from a new app perspective? After 90 days of closing the Surpass in Year 3, can I make a new application for the Hilton AMEX?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 5:58 am

Does anyone have a working link for a 40k+20k upgrade offer? The link on the front page redirects to the 50k bonus.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: Far too many
Upgrade notes

A few useful things I learned about upgrading to a Surpass account from my no-fee HH card:

1. My account showed not only the HH no-fee card but also my no-fee Amex Blue account as being eligible for an upgrade.

2. The upgrade was instant. It showed on my Amex account page the next day.

3. The rep told me that the account number would be the same, and that all spend from now on would be credited toward the Surpass. (The switch would actually occur the following day, but spend from the date of approval would not post until then, so effectively, all spend from approval counts toward the bonus.)

4. HH Gold status is automatic, but takes 4-6 weeks. If you want Gold by a particular date, take the delay into account.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: HH (Dia), Bonvoy (Plat), IHG (Plat)
I saw this question upthread, but couldn't find an answer.

How long does it take after hitting $40K in spend to receive diamond status? I just hit $40K this month on my Surpass card and as it turns out I might be able to unexpectedly go to Japan next month. However, I checked the terms and they say to allow 10-12 WEEKS(!) after hitting the $40K spend for Diamond status to be applied. I'm hoping I'll get it upon closing in mid-September or sooner. Can anyone verify?

I note that the post above says that Gold takes 4-6 weeks, but I'm not sure if Diamond is different and was hoping for some personal experiences. Thank you!
Old Sep 1, 2013, 6:06 pm

Programs: Far too many
Originally Posted by kirax2
I saw this question upthread, but couldn't find an answer.

How long does it take after hitting $40K in spend to receive diamond status? I just hit $40K this month on my Surpass card and as it turns out I might be able to unexpectedly go to Japan next month. However, I checked the terms and they say to allow 10-12 WEEKS(!) after hitting the $40K spend for Diamond status to be applied. I'm hoping I'll get it upon closing in mid-September or sooner. Can anyone verify?

I note that the post above says that Gold takes 4-6 weeks, but I'm not sure if Diamond is different and was hoping for some personal experiences. Thank you!
While the Amex rep said Gold status would take 4-6 weeks, it actually showed up within a couple of days.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Question about churning and upgrading Hilton AMEX. Can I do the following?

Year 2 - Upgrade Hilton AMEX to Hilton Surpass for signup bonus
Year 3 - Cancel Hilton Surpass, Apply new Hilton AMEX for signup bonus
Year 4 - Upgrade 2nd Hilton AMEX to Hilton Surpass for signup bonus

I know AMEX signup bonus usually have the term : not valid if you had the same card in the last 1 year or cards from a similar series in the last 90 days. Is upgrading the Hilton to the Surpass the same as "closing" it from a new app perspective? After 90 days of closing the Surpass in Year 3, can I make a new application for the Hilton AMEX?
I am wondering the same thing myself. From sticky...

3. So when can we churn this card?
For the Hilton Amex no annual fee card: This is how I interpret the T&C and it has been confirmed by a poster on a previous Hilton Amex card thread as per their interaction with Amex CS: if you have had the exact same card in the past, it needs to be closed for at least 12 months before applying again. Furthermore, any other Hilton Amex cards also need to be closed for at least 3 months.

For the Hilton Amex Surpass card: read the fine print.

I think the following might work:

Year 2 - Upgrade Hilton AMEX to Hilton Surpass for signup bonus. Then, cancel after end of year 2.
Year 3 - 12 month waiting period
Year 4 - repeat cycle or back to year 1.

What does everyone think?
Old Oct 21, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat., BFD
Just coming back to FT after a few months away dealing with a family health issue so sorry if it's well outlined somewhere else.

Not sure if it's universal experience but I wanted to put in another quick data point. Tried to upgrade base Amex HHonors card today online but received an error message that the information did not match the info in their system. Called CSR and was told that federal law prohibits them from upgrading the account to a Surpass until I've had the base card for at least 13 months. I've had it since March of 2013. She also stated that the CSR folks do not know exactly when a hard pull will be done vs. a soft one and that even on a new app sometimes it's only a soft pull. Didn't sound correct to me so I'm wondering if she was correct about the 13 month wait to upgrade. Any input?

AAmlgm8r
Old Oct 21, 2013, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAmlgm8r
Just coming back to FT after a few months away dealing with a family health issue so sorry if it's well outlined somewhere else.

Not sure if it's universal experience but I wanted to put in another quick data point. Tried to upgrade base Amex HHonors card today online but received an error message that the information did not match the info in their system. Called CSR and was told that federal law prohibits them from upgrading the account to a Surpass until I've had the base card for at least 13 months. I've had it since March of 2013. She also stated that the CSR folks do not know exactly when a hard pull will be done vs. a soft one and that even on a new app sometimes it's only a soft pull. Didn't sound correct to me so I'm wondering if she was correct about the 13 month wait to upgrade. Any input?

AAmlgm8r
I don't know the answer to the 13-month upgrade question, but I can confirm that they did a soft pull for my denied SPG Amex app in August. I was very surprised too.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat., BFD
Originally Posted by michael_v
I don't know the answer to the 13-month upgrade question, but I can confirm that they did a soft pull for my denied SPG Amex app in August. I was very surprised too.
I did some more research and saw that there were measures included when the feds overhauled banking laws after the market melt-down, which disallow a bank from changing the terms on a credit card that would include any additional fees. Since upgrading from base HHonors to Surpass adds the $75 yearly fee, they cannot do it legally, even if the customer voluntarily asks for the new terms. Oh well... maybe I'll go with the Citi Reserve now and upgrade to Surpass in the Spring.

AAmlgm8r
Old Nov 2, 2013, 12:35 pm

Just wanted to post a note about upgrading from the no-fee HHonors Amex to the Surpass.

I just processed my upgrade for the 50,000 point bonus. I had originally applied for my card in the middle of November, 2012. The upgrade was "approved" without issue, when I had previously been told I was not eligible to upgrade the card.

This tells me that the card can be upgraded on the first day of the 12th month after the original application - so it does not have to be a full 12 months. In fact, if you apply on the last day of the month you could theoretically upgrade after 11 months and 1 day.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: All of em...
I was just reading the T&C on the Surpass card... Did anyone else notice it's free 1st year now?

"Annual Membership Fee $0 for the first year, then $75"

Might be worth the credit pull now to some people to cancel the free forever card for 90 days, and then apply for the 60k card. 10k more points, and $75 less dollars than doing the 50k upgrade! Depends on what you value more and how many pulls you prefer on your report.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by x712xdamx
I was just reading the T&C on the Surpass card... Did anyone else notice it's free 1st year now?

Might be worth the credit pull now to some people to cancel the free forever card for 90 days, and then apply for the 60k card. 10k more points, and $75 less dollars than doing the 50k upgrade! Depends on what you value more and how many pulls you prefer on your report.
I don't think anyone values 10k HHonors points worth a credit pull. Even 50k is pushing it....
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp
I don't think anyone values 10k HHonors points worth a credit pull. Even 50k is pushing it....
Pretty rough for sure... 10k and $75 though just to be clear

Although, the terms DO say on the upgrade offer that you get Gold status first year. Just applying for it (for extra 10k and saving $75) says you only get it after spending $20k...

So it's really all preference.

I just don't want to PAY $75 for 50k Hilton points. For THAT I may value $75 and 10k worth a credit pull to make low value Hilton points free. Call me crazy!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:20 am

wife and both got the Hilton AMEX in 09 2012. she was able to upgrade by I keep getting an error saying I'm not eligible...eh.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by x712xdamx

Quoting my own post. The application page on the left just says "Annual Membership Fee: $75" with no mention of 1st year being free.

Right above the terms and conditions it says "I understand that the annual Card fee is $75."......

But then IN the terms it says:
Annual Membership Fee $0 for the first year, then $75"

Soooooo..... Which one of those will hold up? Anybody straight up applied using the wiki link above, NOT upgraded, and been charged the annual fee right away?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.