Go Back   > > >

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 18, 16, 9:10 pm   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: The Hilton HHonors® Surpass(SM) Card from American Express
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 100,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $75 annual fee. Scheduled to expire on 6/30.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 85,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $75 annual fee. Scheduled to expire on 7/31.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 75,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $75 annual fee. (If you hold the regular Hilton Amex, you may instead see an upgrade offer for 50K. Use private/incognito browsing mode to see the 75K offer.)
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $75, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card
Check your application status

Is the Amex Surpass churnable?
As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).
For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi
Print Wikipost

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 12, 04, 1:50 pm   #1
Moderator, Hilton HHonors
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: hopefully travelling
Programs: up in the air
Posts: 68,678
Arrow The Hilton HHonors® Surpass(SM) Card from American Express

Posts older than 2013 for this OPEN THREAD can be found in the

ARCHIVE THREAD for The Hilton HHonors® Surpass(SM) Card from American Express

Links to moved posts should still work.

Kiwi Flyer
Hilton HHonors forum co-moderator

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 15, 16 at 5:02 pm
Kiwi Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 13, 12:26 pm   #2
  
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: AA-EXP; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; CLUB CARL CONCIERGE
Posts: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgchan View Post
Just got an offer for 50k points to upgrade to Surpass, expires 1/31/2013.
When I log onto my account I also see an offer to upgrade to surpass for 50K. I just recently downgraded FROM surpass. (NOV 2012) I had upgraded to SURPASS in NOV 2011.

I have read the T&C and can't see if there are any exclusions, one time bonus, new customers only, etc, etc.

Has anybody else received this offer that has had the surpass in the recent past, downgraded, then upgraded to got the points and actually got them?

Is there a time frame, say a year or so, to wait until one is eligible?
ORD-TGU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 13, 9:21 am   #3
  
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: AUS
Programs: AA GLD, AS, SQ, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred Plus, Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum
Posts: 699
I charged two stays at two separate hotels in Panama City, Panama on my Surpass card. Neither charge received the appropriate bonus. I called Amex and the representative told me that i did not receive the bonus because international properties do not qualify. However they did award me the bonus points as an "exception".

I am guessing this is incorrect. I have not seen or heard of this exception before.
Dan6681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 13, 10:50 am   #4
  
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Minneapolis, originally from Cincinnati
Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Posts: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan6681 View Post
I charged two stays at two separate hotels in Panama City, Panama on my Surpass card. Neither charge received the appropriate bonus. I called Amex and the representative told me that i did not receive the bonus because international properties do not qualify. However they did award me the bonus points as an "exception".

I am guessing this is incorrect. I have not seen or heard of this exception before.
I don't see anything in the T&C about international hotels being exempt.

If you are doing international travel, the Surpass is a bad choice to use with the fees. I would get a Hilton Citi Reserve card instead. It has no foreign transaction fees and the fees you will pay from the surpass will eat up the extra points you are getting. Not to mention the smart chip is great in other countries. If chase and citi will only introduce chip and pin as well as chip and signature cards.
ILovetheReds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 13, 6:06 pm   #5
  
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 78
Does walmart, target, hyvee, etc count as a supermarket for the 6x hilton points on purchases?
brewernq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 13, 6:38 pm   #6
  
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO/OAK
Programs: HHonors Diamond, Fairmont President's Club
Posts: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewernq View Post
Does walmart, target, hyvee, etc count as a supermarket for the 6x hilton points on purchases?
No, neither does Costco, Kmart or other types of wherehouse stores.
fozziedoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 13, 8:20 pm   #7
  
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie View Post
No, neither does Costco, Kmart or other types of wherehouse stores.
examples of stores that are considered "supermarkets" by amex?
brewernq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 13, 8:29 pm   #8
  
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO/OAK
Programs: HHonors Diamond, Fairmont President's Club
Posts: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewernq View Post
examples of stores that are considered "supermarkets" by amex?
Don't know exactly where you're located, but for me, it's the following:
Safeway
Ralphs
Lucky
Vons

Even your local small-chain grocery store as long as they are "coded" as a grocery store/supermarket in the AmEx database; how they classify themself is up to the vendor and NOT AmEx.
fozziedoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 13, 10:29 pm   #9
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
  
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Yiron, Israel
Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Posts: 53,898
It should also be noted that there are no bonus points (except for Hilton stays) given for purchases outside of the US. If I buy something at a grocery store, a pharmacy, or a gas station in Israel or Europe I get 3 points per US dollar -- just as I would with any other purchase.

This, combined with Amex charging a high forex fee, means that I will only use it in the future in the States or for on-line purchases that are charged in dollars.

My new BoA Travel Rewards card (no forex) will be used instead.
Dovster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 13, 10:35 pm   #10
  
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Minneapolis, originally from Cincinnati
Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Posts: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovster View Post
It should also be noted that there are no bonus points (except for Hilton stays) given for purchases outside of the US. If I buy something at a grocery store, a pharmacy, or a gas station in Israel or Europe I get 3 points per US dollar -- just as I would with any other purchase.

This, combined with Amex charging a high forex fee, means that I will only use it in the future in the States or for on-line purchases that are charged in dollars.

My new BoA Travel Rewards card (no forex) will be used instead.
If someone does a lot of international travel the citi reserve is a much better deal. The loss of bonus points and the additional $20 annual fee are more than offset with the savings in foreign transaction fees. And a lot more places accept Visa than American Express and you also get the free weekend night every year by just spending $10,000.

I think the reserve is a much better deal than the Surpass. It doesn't appear that Hilton and American Express have the close relationship they once had with the Citi Reserve card and with the rumors of Axon going away.
ILovetheReds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 13, 10:39 pm   #11
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
  
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Yiron, Israel
Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Posts: 53,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds View Post
If someone does a lot of international travel the citi reserve is a much better deal.
Agreed, however Citi refused my application because I do not have any history with them nor do I have a U.S. address.

My BoA account goes back about 20 years and they are happy to issue me any Visa that I want.
Dovster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 13, 3:20 pm   #12
  
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: YVR SFO EOF
Programs: UA 1K, VX S
Posts: 4,827
Does Costco Gas get the 6 points per dollar thing, or is this gone because they are a "warehouse club"? The transaction is classified as a gas station online.
unavaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 13, 11:41 am   #13
  
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,605
I recently used the Priority Pass provided with the Surpass Card. I thought two visits were free, but discovered I was wrong when I saw a $81. charge on my Surpass statement I checked the Hilton website and discovered there are NO free visits included. Sadly, I had three Lounge Club cards in my pocket Lounge Club membership from Chase does include two free visits.
Schutzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 13, 2:16 am   #14
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
  
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: MSP/PVG/SFO
Programs: DL DM & MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, NA EE
Posts: 16,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schutzee View Post
I recently used the Priority Pass provided with the Surpass Card. I thought two visits were free, but discovered I was wrong when I saw a $81. charge on my Surpass statement I checked the Hilton website and discovered there are NO free visits included. Sadly, I had three Lounge Club cards in my pocket Lounge Club membership from Chase does include two free visits.
I've said this over and over, the advertising of "Free Club Access" from Free PP membership is practically a scam. PP only get's you access, but to truly enter a lounge you have to pay still.

Beware.
mnredfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 13, 2:37 pm   #15
  
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Connecticut
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU View Post
When I log onto my account I also see an offer to upgrade to surpass for 50K. I just recently downgraded FROM surpass. (NOV 2012) I had upgraded to SURPASS in NOV 2011.

I have read the T&C and can't see if there are any exclusions, one time bonus, new customers only, etc, etc.

Has anybody else received this offer that has had the surpass in the recent past, downgraded, then upgraded to got the points and actually got them?

Is there a time frame, say a year or so, to wait until one is eligible?
Was looking to upgrade myself and I also downgraded about a year ago. Will I get the 50K points again??
san888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:39 pm.

Contact Us - FlyerTalk - Archive - Top