Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: vah4883
Limited-time offers
Hilton HHonors American Express card. 80,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months; no annual fee. Ends May 31, 2017
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card. 100,000 points for spending $3,000 ; $95 annual fee.
Hilton HHonors American Express card application page. 75,000 points for spending $1,000 in 3 months; no annual fee.
Public offer expired Feb 1, 2017 (this link brings up a page: "This campaign has expired. Thank you for your interest."), but Refer a Friend links still active. This one has the referral ID stripped out.

Citi HH Visa 40K application page (spend $1K/4 mos.)
  • This offer does not contain an explicit 24-month restriction.
    If you apply using this link & are not instantly approved, DO NOT CALL CITI.
    Calling in risks alerting Citi to the offer and having it withdrawn.

Ongoing offers
Amex HH Surpass Card
  • Annual fee: $75, no first-year waiver.
  • Signup bonus: 75K points for spending $3K in the first 3 months.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

FlyerTalk discussion thread: The Hilton HHonors® Surpass(SM) Card from American Express
Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card
  • Annual fee: $95, no first-year waiver.
  • Signup bonus: 2 free weekend nights after $2500 in spend within four months. These free nights are valid at all Hilton redemption categories, including Waldorf Astoria properties.
  • Anniversary bonus: 1 free weekend night each year after $10,000 in spend.
  • Earning: 10 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend, 5 points per dollar on air and car rental, and 3 on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • No foreign currency transaction fees.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Weekend Night Certificates offer is not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Card account that was opened or closed in the past 24 months.."

Flyertalk discussion thread: Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card
Citi HH Visa 60K application page. You can also apply by calling 1-866-615-2274.
  • No annual fee.
  • Signup bonus: 60K points for spending $1K in the first 4 months
  • Earning: 6 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 3 points/$ at U.S. supermarkets, drugstores & gas stations; and 2 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Silver status for as long as you have the card.
  • Fast track To Gold status: After four qualifying stays within your first 91 days of cardmembership, receive Gold status through the end of the following calendar year.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Hilton HHonors Bonus Points offer not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card account that was opened or closed in the past 24 months."

Flyertalk discussion thread: Citi Hilton HHonors VISA [60k-75k, read Wiki to choose]
Basic Amex HH Card
Offer for 50K points (spend $750/3mos.) + $50 credit for first purchase: Make a dummy reservation on Hilton site. Offer will appear on page before final booking. (Cannot be linked to directly.)
Offer for 50K points (spend $750/3mos.)
  • No annual fee.
  • Earning: 7 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 5 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; and 3 on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Silver status for as long as you have the card and Gold status after $20,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card
FAQ
1. Are these cards churnable?
As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

In August 2016, Citi began inserting language into applications and landing pages requiring a 24-month wait from the date of the opening or closure of any Citi Hilton card. Previously, the Citi Hilton Signature Visa and Reserve cards were on separate clocks for each applicant. Now there is a single 24-month clock reset by open/close of either type of card. For more info, see the wiki at Citi Hilton HHonors VISA [60k-75k, read Wiki to choose].

2. I have met the spending. When will my bonus post?
For Amex cards, the bonus will post a few days after meeting the spend. The points from the actual spend will post after statement is generated. For Citi products, bonus points post only at statement close.

3. What happened to the Amex drugstore category spending bonus?
Changes to Hilton Amex cards as of May 2013 are explained here:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...at-we-thought/

4. What is the link to upgrade from no fee card to Surpass card for 50,000 after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months?
This link redirects to this landing page. Application page.
You need to be logged into your Amex account first, then click on the link above, then click Upgrade. (This does not work for all people. It is suspected that only people that have had the no-fee card for at least one year are able to upgrade to the Surpass card.) There is generally no hard pull on your credit report for upgrading.

5. Does having one of these Hilton cards preclude me from successfully earning the signup bonus on a different one?
No. All four cards are separate products. Having (or having previously had) one of them has no effect on your bonus eligibility for the others--but note, as discussed in FAQ #1, that opening or closing any Citi Hilton card will affect your eligibility for any new Citi Hilton card bonus.

Print Wikipost

Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

The Citi Reserver $100 statement credit offer application gives an error. It was posted in the Citi Reserve thread that you could still apply for this offer over the phone. YMMV.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Thanks to the mod that directed me here…

With the current 75k bonus offer on the Surpass card expiring at the end of February I was curious if I should jump on that (suddenly had 4 long term Hilton stays pop up for me at work) or if this strategy would work better:
Get the regular Hilton card with the 40k bonus, achieve the $750 spend and then upgrade for the 50k bonus to the Surpass that is available netting 90k points. I had a similar situation come up with the Delta cards, I did the Gold card for the 100k Seattle offer and logged in today and noticed that I was offered 10k MQM and 10k bonus miles to upgrade to Reserve. Any thoughts?

https://www304.americanexpress.com/p...dit-card/23516
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by ArmyFlyer05
Thanks to the mod that directed me here…

With the current 75k bonus offer on the Surpass card expiring at the end of February I was curious if I should jump on that (suddenly had 4 long term Hilton stays pop up for me at work) or if this strategy would work better:
Get the regular Hilton card with the 40k bonus, achieve the $750 spend and then upgrade for the 50k bonus to the Surpass that is available netting 90k points. I had a similar situation come up with the Delta cards, I did the Gold card for the 100k Seattle offer and logged in today and noticed that I was offered 10k MQM and 10k bonus miles to upgrade to Reserve. Any thoughts?

https://www304.americanexpress.com/p...dit-card/23516
You will likely have to wait 1 year from opening card to upgrade to Surpass due to laws about cc fees.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by skibum7732
You will likely have to wait 1 year from opening card to upgrade to Surpass due to laws about cc fees.
I had the same experience. AMEX would not allow me to upgrade for the first 12 months I had the regular card.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Brugge
I had the same experience. AMEX would not allow me to upgrade for the first 12 months I had the regular card.
Thanks for the advice, my delta amex is showing upgrade as an option even though I've had it for less than 2 months. Safe to say it won't allow the upgrade?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 1:18 am

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
I'm not sure why people poopoo the hilton cards so much in terms of point value. I mean, even if you MS with Visa GC you can basically get four nights at any hilton during "peak" (assuming they are available) season for $200/night on an AXON award. how is that not worth it? Its even less if you have a gas station that sells VR. After the SPG changes last year I'd say the difference isn't as great as people make it out to be.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG gold, Delta Silver
I spent more than 40,000 on my Citi hilton reserve card, but my status is still gold. How long can I get my diamond status? Thanks
Old Jan 26, 2014, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ArmyFlyer05
Thanks for the advice, my delta amex is showing upgrade as an option even though I've had it for less than 2 months. Safe to say it won't allow the upgrade?
I had that - clicking did nothing worthwhile until 12 months had passed.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mcheng82
I spent more than 40,000 on my Citi hilton reserve card, but my status is still gold. How long can I get my diamond status? Thanks
All in one calendar year?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Brugge
Points expire if you don't have any account activity within 12 months. But you might be surprised at what "account activity" means. Use the HH shopping mall to buy anything at all...That will do it for another 12 months.
On a side note, ideas about how to keep miles and points (from a variety of programs) from expiring are being collected on this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...xpiring-2.html
Old Jan 26, 2014, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by exmike
I'm not sure why people poopoo the hilton cards so much in terms of point value. I mean, even if you MS with Visa GC you can basically get four nights at any hilton during "peak" (assuming they are available) season for $200/night on an AXON award. how is that not worth it? Its even less if you have a gas station that sells VR. After the SPG changes last year I'd say the difference isn't as great as people make it out to be.
You can still get much better bang for your buck elsewhere, pretty much from any UR transfer partner because of the ease of gaining UR.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: All of em...
No problem getting the 75k Hilton Surpass card while my current no-annual fee Hilton card is open. FYI.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:21 am

"This link for the 40,000 HH points 1st purchase + 20,000 points after $3K will also work for the 50,000 HH upgrade IF you are FIRST LOGGED INTO your Amex account.

https://www304.americanexpress.com/c...honors-surpass"

This no longer seems to be working for me. I am eligible for upgrade from HH amex. I logged in first, then clicked on above link. Still only landing me on the 50k page. i also DID clear all my cookies first too. I'm using Firefox.

Last edited by mymyles; Feb 5, 2014 at 10:26 am
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, CX Gold, AA, UA, DL
Interested in the $100 statement credit offer on the Citi Reserve card. Anyone know whether the credit can be applied to a Hilton stay fully paid in advance (via hilton.com)? Or can it only be applied to charges paid at the hotel? Thanks.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Anyone have any experience upgrading the Citi card? A quick search doesn't find anything.

Originally Posted by mymyles
"This link for the 40,000 HH points 1st purchase + 20,000 points after $3K will also work for the 50,000 HH upgrade IF you are FIRST LOGGED INTO your Amex account.

https://www304.americanexpress.com/c...honors-surpass"

This no longer seems to be working for me. I am eligible for upgrade from HH amex. I logged in first, then clicked on above link. Still only landing me on the 50k page. i also DID clear all my cookies first too. I'm using Firefox.

I had the same thought, but now I think it means it will bring you to one of those two offers, depending on if you already have the card or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.