Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: vah4883
Limited-time offers
Hilton HHonors American Express card. 80,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months; no annual fee. Ends May 31, 2017
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card. 100,000 points for spending $3,000 ; $95 annual fee.
Hilton HHonors American Express card application page. 75,000 points for spending $1,000 in 3 months; no annual fee.
Public offer expired Feb 1, 2017 (this link brings up a page: "This campaign has expired. Thank you for your interest."), but Refer a Friend links still active. This one has the referral ID stripped out.

Citi HH Visa 40K application page (spend $1K/4 mos.)
  • This offer does not contain an explicit 24-month restriction.
    If you apply using this link & are not instantly approved, DO NOT CALL CITI.
    Calling in risks alerting Citi to the offer and having it withdrawn.

Ongoing offers
Amex HH Surpass Card
  • Annual fee: $75, no first-year waiver.
  • Signup bonus: 75K points for spending $3K in the first 3 months.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

FlyerTalk discussion thread: The Hilton HHonors® Surpass(SM) Card from American Express
Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card
  • Annual fee: $95, no first-year waiver.
  • Signup bonus: 2 free weekend nights after $2500 in spend within four months. These free nights are valid at all Hilton redemption categories, including Waldorf Astoria properties.
  • Anniversary bonus: 1 free weekend night each year after $10,000 in spend.
  • Earning: 10 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend, 5 points per dollar on air and car rental, and 3 on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • No foreign currency transaction fees.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Weekend Night Certificates offer is not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Card account that was opened or closed in the past 24 months.."

Flyertalk discussion thread: Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card
Citi HH Visa 60K application page. You can also apply by calling 1-866-615-2274.
  • No annual fee.
  • Signup bonus: 60K points for spending $1K in the first 4 months
  • Earning: 6 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 3 points/$ at U.S. supermarkets, drugstores & gas stations; and 2 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Silver status for as long as you have the card.
  • Fast track To Gold status: After four qualifying stays within your first 91 days of cardmembership, receive Gold status through the end of the following calendar year.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Hilton HHonors Bonus Points offer not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card account that was opened or closed in the past 24 months."

Flyertalk discussion thread: Citi Hilton HHonors VISA [60k-75k, read Wiki to choose]
Basic Amex HH Card
Offer for 50K points (spend $750/3mos.) + $50 credit for first purchase: Make a dummy reservation on Hilton site. Offer will appear on page before final booking. (Cannot be linked to directly.)
Offer for 50K points (spend $750/3mos.)
  • No annual fee.
  • Earning: 7 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 5 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; and 3 on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Silver status for as long as you have the card and Gold status after $20,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card
FAQ
1. Are these cards churnable?
As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

In August 2016, Citi began inserting language into applications and landing pages requiring a 24-month wait from the date of the opening or closure of any Citi Hilton card. Previously, the Citi Hilton Signature Visa and Reserve cards were on separate clocks for each applicant. Now there is a single 24-month clock reset by open/close of either type of card. For more info, see the wiki at Citi Hilton HHonors VISA [60k-75k, read Wiki to choose].

2. I have met the spending. When will my bonus post?
For Amex cards, the bonus will post a few days after meeting the spend. The points from the actual spend will post after statement is generated. For Citi products, bonus points post only at statement close.

3. What happened to the Amex drugstore category spending bonus?
Changes to Hilton Amex cards as of May 2013 are explained here:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...at-we-thought/

4. What is the link to upgrade from no fee card to Surpass card for 50,000 after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months?
This link redirects to this landing page. Application page.
You need to be logged into your Amex account first, then click on the link above, then click Upgrade. (This does not work for all people. It is suspected that only people that have had the no-fee card for at least one year are able to upgrade to the Surpass card.) There is generally no hard pull on your credit report for upgrading.

5. Does having one of these Hilton cards preclude me from successfully earning the signup bonus on a different one?
No. All four cards are separate products. Having (or having previously had) one of them has no effect on your bonus eligibility for the others--but note, as discussed in FAQ #1, that opening or closing any Citi Hilton card will affect your eligibility for any new Citi Hilton card bonus.

Print Wikipost

Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Brugge
It depends on what type of AMEX cards you have. AMEX treats "credit" cards differently than "charge" cards. The latter being ones you have to pay in full every month. You can only have 4 of one of those types, but more of the other, but I can never remember which is which.

So if you have, say, 2 of one type, and 2 of the other, you won't have to close anything to get another. Wish I could be more specific. Maybe someone else can post which AMEX cards are which, and which type you can only have 4 of...
I definitely understand what you mean, and that's why I mentioned in my post that I have 4 PERSONAL cards. I was thinking that means none of them is Charge card.. So I'm pretty sure I will be asked to close one if I try a 5th amex card..
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:30 pm

hi all, i got the citi HH card with 2 free weekend nights and $100 statement credit....will the $100 statement credit work for hotel stays?

I spend $130 on a Hamptons inn booked via HHonors website....will this qualify?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kasan08
I definitely understand what you mean, and that's why I mentioned in my post that I have 4 PERSONAL cards. I was thinking that means none of them is Charge card.. So I'm pretty sure I will be asked to close one if I try a 5th amex card..
Not necessarily. You didn't list your ccs, so I don't know about your situation. For instance, the PRG Gold card is a Personal Charge card, not a credit card.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Considering bumping up my Amex to the Surpass. I need more HHonors points since they have a hotel I want to stay at, but I don't see the value in 50k points, even without a hard pull. Is 50k the best link that anyone has for an upgrade?
Old Mar 9, 2014, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PainCorp
Considering bumping up my Amex to the Surpass. I need more HHonors points since they have a hotel I want to stay at, but I don't see the value in 50k points, even without a hard pull. Is 50k the best link that anyone has for an upgrade?
That is the same offer I see.

It depends on your credit report, a hard pull for 50K HHonor pts 3 to 4 times a year (via the Citi card) is well worth to us as most our usage is either the airport hotels or the international properties where they tend to treat Gold rather well.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
That is the same offer I see.

It depends on your credit report, a hard pull for 50K HHonor pts 3 to 4 times a year (via the Citi card) is well worth to us as most our usage is either the airport hotels or the international properties where they tend to treat Gold rather well.
I need to buy a new car soon, so I'm trying to avoid hard pulls at the moment. I called Citi to ask about upgrades and was told yes, but no offers for points.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by ranjanrocks
hi all, i got the citi HH card with 2 free weekend nights and $100 statement credit....will the $100 statement credit work for hotel stays?

I spend $130 on a Hamptons inn booked via HHonors website....will this qualify?
I have the same question. I recently got the Hhonors Reserve card with the $100 statement credit. Does this have to be a “Hilton” or can it be at any other Hilton brand such as a Hampton Inn? Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
Originally Posted by 10SNE1
I have the same question. I recently got the Hhonors Reserve card with the $100 statement credit. Does this have to be a “Hilton” or can it be at any other Hilton brand such as a Hampton Inn? Thanks!
It's spelled out pretty clearly right there on the offer page:

Welcome Bonus

EARN A $100 STATEMENT CREDIT after you spend $100 or more on your first hotel stay at over 4,000 hotels and resorts within the Hilton HHonors portfolio during the first three months of cardmembership.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Interesting experience as a data point, definitely a YMMV:

Had AF Amex for about 15 months, upgraded to Surpass for the bonus in 12/12, posted 1/12. Downgraded to no AF in summer 2013 and got partial AF refund.

Had a bunch of HH stays coming up in late 2013 so upgraded in mid 10/13 and charged a partial AF again in 12/13. In 1/14 was pleasantly surprised to see a 50k bonus pop up in my account (just happened to spend >3k after upgrading, didn't expect bonus). Can't complain, particularly with Amex bumping HH spending up to 18 pts/$ for surpass over that period as well as giving gold status automatically.

Also was told status would not be rescinded if I downgraded again; I spent 20k in 2013 so would have gotten gold with free card, but called to make sure I wouldn't fall into a weird trap with having a surpass in early 2014 and then downgrading.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by 10SNE1

Waiting to see if I get credit on a doubletree stay. Will keep posted
Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: AMEX PL, Avis First, AA GLD
Is there any good offers available? All I see on my hilton account is the 40k points after $1k in 4 months (Citi® Hilton HHonors™ VISA signature® Card) or 2 nights after $2,500 in 4 months (Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Reserve Card)
Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frubio2012
Is there any good offers available? All I see on my hilton account is the 40k points after $1k in 4 months (Citi® Hilton HHonors™ VISA signature® Card) or 2 nights after $2,500 in 4 months (Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Reserve Card)
Did you read the Wiki of this thread?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

I have added a link to the wiki for the Citi HHonors no annual fee card for 50k + $50 statement credit. Credit goes to The Frugal Travel Guy's blog.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
I have a question about the Reserve Card. I picked it up just a few weeks ago.
Regarding the $100 Statement credit...it says you get the $100 Statement credit after spending $100 or more on your first stay at a Hilton. So, does this mean on my very first stay at a Hilton brand, I have to spend $100 at that hotel or not get the statement credit? Or can I spend $100 on any stay at a Hilton brand within the promotion timeframe and get the statement credit?

My first stay is only going to be a one nighter at a Hampton for well under $100......
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by michael_v
I have added a link to the wiki for the Citi HHonors no annual fee card for 50k + $50 statement credit. Credit goes to The Frugal Travel Guy's blog.
Discussed here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...l#post22553484

Thread merge? Credit to SanDiego1K for alerting me to this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.