Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: vah4883
Limited-time offers
Hilton HHonors American Express card. 80,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months; no annual fee. Ends May 31, 2017
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card. 100,000 points for spending $3,000 ; $95 annual fee.
Hilton HHonors American Express card application page. 75,000 points for spending $1,000 in 3 months; no annual fee.
Public offer expired Feb 1, 2017 (this link brings up a page: "This campaign has expired. Thank you for your interest."), but Refer a Friend links still active. This one has the referral ID stripped out.

Citi HH Visa 40K application page (spend $1K/4 mos.)
  • This offer does not contain an explicit 24-month restriction.
    If you apply using this link & are not instantly approved, DO NOT CALL CITI.
    Calling in risks alerting Citi to the offer and having it withdrawn.

Ongoing offers
Amex HH Surpass Card
  • Annual fee: $75, no first-year waiver.
  • Signup bonus: 75K points for spending $3K in the first 3 months.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

FlyerTalk discussion thread: The Hilton HHonors® Surpass(SM) Card from American Express
Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card
  • Annual fee: $95, no first-year waiver.
  • Signup bonus: 2 free weekend nights after $2500 in spend within four months. These free nights are valid at all Hilton redemption categories, including Waldorf Astoria properties.
  • Anniversary bonus: 1 free weekend night each year after $10,000 in spend.
  • Earning: 10 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend, 5 points per dollar on air and car rental, and 3 on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • No foreign currency transaction fees.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Weekend Night Certificates offer is not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Card account that was opened or closed in the past 24 months.."

Flyertalk discussion thread: Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card
Citi HH Visa 60K application page. You can also apply by calling 1-866-615-2274.
  • No annual fee.
  • Signup bonus: 60K points for spending $1K in the first 4 months
  • Earning: 6 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 3 points/$ at U.S. supermarkets, drugstores & gas stations; and 2 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Silver status for as long as you have the card.
  • Fast track To Gold status: After four qualifying stays within your first 91 days of cardmembership, receive Gold status through the end of the following calendar year.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Hilton HHonors Bonus Points offer not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card account that was opened or closed in the past 24 months."

Flyertalk discussion thread: Citi Hilton HHonors VISA [60k-75k, read Wiki to choose]
Basic Amex HH Card
Offer for 50K points (spend $750/3mos.) + $50 credit for first purchase: Make a dummy reservation on Hilton site. Offer will appear on page before final booking. (Cannot be linked to directly.)
Offer for 50K points (spend $750/3mos.)
  • No annual fee.
  • Earning: 7 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 5 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; and 3 on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Silver status for as long as you have the card and Gold status after $20,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card
FAQ
1. Are these cards churnable?
As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

In August 2016, Citi began inserting language into applications and landing pages requiring a 24-month wait from the date of the opening or closure of any Citi Hilton card. Previously, the Citi Hilton Signature Visa and Reserve cards were on separate clocks for each applicant. Now there is a single 24-month clock reset by open/close of either type of card. For more info, see the wiki at Citi Hilton HHonors VISA [60k-75k, read Wiki to choose].

2. I have met the spending. When will my bonus post?
For Amex cards, the bonus will post a few days after meeting the spend. The points from the actual spend will post after statement is generated. For Citi products, bonus points post only at statement close.

3. What happened to the Amex drugstore category spending bonus?
Changes to Hilton Amex cards as of May 2013 are explained here:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...at-we-thought/

4. What is the link to upgrade from no fee card to Surpass card for 50,000 after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months?
This link redirects to this landing page. Application page.
You need to be logged into your Amex account first, then click on the link above, then click Upgrade. (This does not work for all people. It is suspected that only people that have had the no-fee card for at least one year are able to upgrade to the Surpass card.) There is generally no hard pull on your credit report for upgrading.

5. Does having one of these Hilton cards preclude me from successfully earning the signup bonus on a different one?
No. All four cards are separate products. Having (or having previously had) one of them has no effect on your bonus eligibility for the others--but note, as discussed in FAQ #1, that opening or closing any Citi Hilton card will affect your eligibility for any new Citi Hilton card bonus.

Print Wikipost

Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by liw5215
Upgraded my AX HH no fee card to Surpass in Nov, spent $3000, got the upgrade points, now the AF is coming. is it OK or safe to cancel it now?
Don't they charge you the AF when you upgrade?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
My dad just received a targeted offer for the no-fee Hilton AMEX: 60,000 HHonors points after $750 spend in 3 months. He has no AMEX relationship, just a Citi AAdvantage and Chase Freedom and Chase United card. He already feels like this is a lot of cards to keep track of (I laugh, with 10 open--and I know that's low compared to some). He's interested, though, because he spends ~$3K a year at Costco, and it goes on the debit card with no points. He also has seen me take advantage of the "Offers for You" statement credits AMEX offers.

My dad used to travel a lot for work, and had some 160,000+ HH points he let expire.

Any chance he could talk Hilton/AMEX into reinstating some or all of his points if he signs up for their credit card? Hilton points aren't worth a lot, but losing 160K is a damn shame...
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Will never by anything with airlines
Had no-fee Hilton and Delta Gold. Went to upgrade, but the system upgraded delta card to Surpass Hilton; met spend, got 50k HH...then downgraded to BCE recently.

When I now click upgrade link i see its available for the no-fee Hilton, wonder if I can get it twice?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:05 pm

Noob here...is it possible to apply for both the HHonors citi and amex card at the same time? Are points maintained on each account or through hhonors directly?

Thank you
Old Jan 14, 2014, 5:40 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by lagvoid
Noob here...is it possible to apply for both the HHonors citi and amex card at the same time? Are points maintained on each account or through hhonors directly?

Thank you
You can apply for both separately. Points are maintained by Hilton
Old Jan 14, 2014, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by roki
My dad just received a targeted offer for the no-fee Hilton AMEX: 60,000 HHonors points after $750 spend in 3 months. He has no AMEX relationship, just a Citi AAdvantage and Chase Freedom and Chase United card. He already feels like this is a lot of cards to keep track of (I laugh, with 10 open--and I know that's low compared to some). He's interested, though, because he spends ~$3K a year at Costco, and it goes on the debit card with no points. He also has seen me take advantage of the "Offers for You" statement credits AMEX offers.

My dad used to travel a lot for work, and had some 160,000+ HH points he let expire.

Any chance he could talk Hilton/AMEX into reinstating some or all of his points if he signs up for their credit card? Hilton points aren't worth a lot, but losing 160K is a damn shame...
Expired points really suck. Best you can do is call and ask. Worst they can do is say no and he is no worse off

If you look at the Wiki there is a link to a 75k offer for the same annual fee
Old Jan 14, 2014, 5:51 am

I cleaned up the wiki for the latest amex offers... there is a 60k vs 75k surpass offer, the only benefit of the 60k is if you really can't make the $3k spend for some reason you get 40k after first purchase. Also noted the no-annual fee card gives 50k for sign up
Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Will never by anything with airlines
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Expired points really suck. Best you can do is call and ask. Worst they can do is say no and he is no worse off

I had points expire from two years past, called Hilton up and they reinstated them no fee no hassle (also had amex at the time with recent spend/points)
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:53 am

You can apply for both separately. Points are maintained by Hilton
Thank you!
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG

Yeah, I figured he should at least see what he can get.

My dad's offer is for the no-fee AMEX. Not the Surpass.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: HH Gold-IHG Plat
so If I 100% stop using my card for a certain amount of time I lose points, its not like If I keep using my card for small purchases here and there I lose points 2 years old right.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ac921ol
so If I 100% stop using my card for a certain amount of time I lose points, its not like If I keep using my card for small purchases here and there I lose points 2 years old right.
It's the Hilton account activity that matters. If you have other activity there, you don't need to put small charges on this card.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern
It's the Hilton account activity that matters. If you have other activity there, you don't need to put small charges on this card.
Points expire if you don't have any account activity within 12 months. But you might be surprised at what "account activity" means. Use the HH shopping mall to buy anything at all. Buy something really cheap, and don't return it for a refund. And you don't even have to use a HH cc. In fact, you don't need to have a HH cc open. Log in with your HH account #, and use any cc at all to make a $1 purchase. That will do it for another 12 months.

http://shoptoearn.hhonors.com/loyrew.../earnmallhome?

How about make a reservation with HH points that allows a free cancelation. Wait a day, then cancel it. Yes, that takes points out of your HH account, then puts them right back, with no fee to you. Strangely, that counts as account activity.

Last edited by Brugge; Jan 15, 2014 at 7:15 pm
Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:23 pm

Yeah I bought a magazine subscription to avoid my account expiring...
Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Deleted

Last edited by Brugge; Jan 21, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.