Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: vah4883
Limited-time offers
Hilton HHonors American Express card. 80,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months; no annual fee. Ends May 31, 2017
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card. 100,000 points for spending $3,000 ; $95 annual fee.
Hilton HHonors American Express card application page. 75,000 points for spending $1,000 in 3 months; no annual fee.
Public offer expired Feb 1, 2017 (this link brings up a page: "This campaign has expired. Thank you for your interest."), but Refer a Friend links still active. This one has the referral ID stripped out.

Citi HH Visa 40K application page (spend $1K/4 mos.)
  • This offer does not contain an explicit 24-month restriction.
    If you apply using this link & are not instantly approved, DO NOT CALL CITI.
    Calling in risks alerting Citi to the offer and having it withdrawn.

Ongoing offers
Amex HH Surpass Card
  • Annual fee: $75, no first-year waiver.
  • Signup bonus: 75K points for spending $3K in the first 3 months.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

FlyerTalk discussion thread: The Hilton HHonors® Surpass(SM) Card from American Express
Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card
  • Annual fee: $95, no first-year waiver.
  • Signup bonus: 2 free weekend nights after $2500 in spend within four months. These free nights are valid at all Hilton redemption categories, including Waldorf Astoria properties.
  • Anniversary bonus: 1 free weekend night each year after $10,000 in spend.
  • Earning: 10 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend, 5 points per dollar on air and car rental, and 3 on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • No foreign currency transaction fees.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Weekend Night Certificates offer is not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Card account that was opened or closed in the past 24 months.."

Flyertalk discussion thread: Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card
Citi HH Visa 60K application page. You can also apply by calling 1-866-615-2274.
  • No annual fee.
  • Signup bonus: 60K points for spending $1K in the first 4 months
  • Earning: 6 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 3 points/$ at U.S. supermarkets, drugstores & gas stations; and 2 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Silver status for as long as you have the card.
  • Fast track To Gold status: After four qualifying stays within your first 91 days of cardmembership, receive Gold status through the end of the following calendar year.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Hilton HHonors Bonus Points offer not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card account that was opened or closed in the past 24 months."

Flyertalk discussion thread: Citi Hilton HHonors VISA [60k-75k, read Wiki to choose]
Basic Amex HH Card
Offer for 50K points (spend $750/3mos.) + $50 credit for first purchase: Make a dummy reservation on Hilton site. Offer will appear on page before final booking. (Cannot be linked to directly.)
Offer for 50K points (spend $750/3mos.)
  • No annual fee.
  • Earning: 7 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 5 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; and 3 on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Silver status for as long as you have the card and Gold status after $20,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card
FAQ
1. Are these cards churnable?
As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

In August 2016, Citi began inserting language into applications and landing pages requiring a 24-month wait from the date of the opening or closure of any Citi Hilton card. Previously, the Citi Hilton Signature Visa and Reserve cards were on separate clocks for each applicant. Now there is a single 24-month clock reset by open/close of either type of card. For more info, see the wiki at Citi Hilton HHonors VISA [60k-75k, read Wiki to choose].

2. I have met the spending. When will my bonus post?
For Amex cards, the bonus will post a few days after meeting the spend. The points from the actual spend will post after statement is generated. For Citi products, bonus points post only at statement close.

3. What happened to the Amex drugstore category spending bonus?
Changes to Hilton Amex cards as of May 2013 are explained here:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...at-we-thought/

4. What is the link to upgrade from no fee card to Surpass card for 50,000 after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months?
This link redirects to this landing page. Application page.
You need to be logged into your Amex account first, then click on the link above, then click Upgrade. (This does not work for all people. It is suspected that only people that have had the no-fee card for at least one year are able to upgrade to the Surpass card.) There is generally no hard pull on your credit report for upgrading.

5. Does having one of these Hilton cards preclude me from successfully earning the signup bonus on a different one?
No. All four cards are separate products. Having (or having previously had) one of them has no effect on your bonus eligibility for the others--but note, as discussed in FAQ #1, that opening or closing any Citi Hilton card will affect your eligibility for any new Citi Hilton card bonus.

Print Wikipost

Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I still see the offer, good until 5/31. Since I have upgraded via this route several times ( as recently as April 2016) and always received the bonus I would have never even looked for the new wording.

Instead of upgrading my dad to a surpass I got him another Arrival.
So all upgrade offers now have the once in a lifetime exclusion?

Rats......
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Well I finally went to upgrade and now it says that I cannot. I am going to call in.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
So all upgrade offers now have the once in a lifetime exclusion?

Rats......

I wouldn't say all but unless you get targeted for an upgrade it seems so.

I'll keep our cards in case the offers change or a targeted offer comes along plus we actually get use of our Gold status so if timed right that is $75 for 2 years of Gold.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:10 pm

Reposting here:
So I never had a Surpass card before, but I do have the no annual fee Hilton Honors Amex. On my account it shows I am eligible for an upgrade with 100,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points after spending $3,000 in 3 months (no free night included)
Here the link for the terms without once in lifetime exclusion: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...200-WOC0000467

My question is whats the best option here
1) Apply for the free night version only
2) Apply for the upgrade only
3) Apply for free night first and then upgrade the no-annual fee card?

Will the upgrade in the third option even work for that case since the system may see that I just applied for a surpass. Would I even get all the bonuses (200K + free night).

Has anyone tried this?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by miadukes
Well I finally went to upgrade and now it says that I cannot. I am going to call in.
Probably the same issue I had. See above. I think because our offers didn't have the 'no previous card' exclusion and they pulled it to update.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
I upgraded from the no fee Hilton Amex to the Surpass about a month ago. 100k offer. Hit spend, a few days later bonus points deposited.

According to the terms of the upgrade offer, I have 45 days to revert my card back to the no fee Hilton Card if I so choose. If I do that, to avoid the annual fee on the new Surpass, do I risk a clawback of the 100k upgrade points?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Yes. Would not risk it.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I received an email today from HH / Amex for the 80,000 points bonus. No annual fee. I assume that the 80,000 pts will transfer to my HH account and that I can use them for lodging at HH properties when inventory is available.
What's the catch? Is the catch that spending $ with this card prevents me from earning points on another card? What else am I missing?
Thanks
Michael
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by gaobest
I received an email today from HH / Amex for the 80,000 points bonus. No annual fee. I assume that the 80,000 pts will transfer to my HH account and that I can use them for lodging at HH properties when inventory is available.
What's the catch? Is the catch that spending $ with this card prevents me from earning points on another card? What else am I missing?
Thanks
Michael
If that is the no fee card, it's the current public offer. Only prevent you getting the bonus on that card every again, but it's the highest bonus a lot of folks have ever seen.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
I upgraded from the no fee Hilton Amex to the Surpass about a month ago. 100k offer. Hit spend, a few days later bonus points deposited.

According to the terms of the upgrade offer, I have 45 days to revert my card back to the no fee Hilton Card if I so choose. If I do that, to avoid the annual fee on the new Surpass, do I risk a clawback of the 100k upgrade points?
You can revert back to the NAF card at any time and get a pro rated refund on the AF.

I suggest waiting a few months before you switch back.

Have you ever had the Surpass card before ? If so was this a targeted mailer for the upgrade ? The new upgrades all seem to have the if you ever had a surpass card before wording that denies the bonus.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by flyer4512
You can revert back to the NAF card at any time and get a pro rated refund on the AF.

I suggest waiting a few months before you switch back.

Have you ever had the Surpass card before ? If so was this a targeted mailer for the upgrade ? The new upgrades all seem to have the if you ever had a surpass card before wording that denies the bonus.
My offer showed up in my account. In a banner at the top of the page and in my offers down below. Fortunately, I screenshotted the whole T&C plus saved a .pdf version that has no mention of the 'no previous card' verbage. I suspect I may have to fight for the bonus (I've had a Surpass before) but with the screenshots, I will take this to the wall if I have to.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
My offer showed up in my account. In a banner at the top of the page and in my offers down below. Fortunately, I screenshotted the whole T&C plus saved a .pdf version that has no mention of the 'no previous card' verbage. I suspect I may have to fight for the bonus (I've had a Surpass before) but with the screenshots, I will take this to the wall if I have to.

Good luck, Amex owes me 50K in referral bonuses that I never received
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:26 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Thread closed for restructuring. For now please join discussion in these threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ds-2018-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...ki-choose.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...erve-card.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.