Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: vah4883
Limited-time offers
Hilton HHonors American Express card. 80,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months; no annual fee. Ends May 31, 2017
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card. 100,000 points for spending $3,000 ; $95 annual fee.
Hilton HHonors American Express card application page. 75,000 points for spending $1,000 in 3 months; no annual fee.
Public offer expired Feb 1, 2017 (this link brings up a page: "This campaign has expired. Thank you for your interest."), but Refer a Friend links still active. This one has the referral ID stripped out.

Citi HH Visa 40K application page (spend $1K/4 mos.)
  • This offer does not contain an explicit 24-month restriction.
    If you apply using this link & are not instantly approved, DO NOT CALL CITI.
    Calling in risks alerting Citi to the offer and having it withdrawn.

Ongoing offers
Amex HH Surpass Card
  • Annual fee: $75, no first-year waiver.
  • Signup bonus: 75K points for spending $3K in the first 3 months.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

FlyerTalk discussion thread: The Hilton HHonors® Surpass(SM) Card from American Express
Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card
  • Annual fee: $95, no first-year waiver.
  • Signup bonus: 2 free weekend nights after $2500 in spend within four months. These free nights are valid at all Hilton redemption categories, including Waldorf Astoria properties.
  • Anniversary bonus: 1 free weekend night each year after $10,000 in spend.
  • Earning: 10 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend, 5 points per dollar on air and car rental, and 3 on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • No foreign currency transaction fees.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Weekend Night Certificates offer is not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Card account that was opened or closed in the past 24 months.."

Flyertalk discussion thread: Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card
Citi HH Visa 60K application page. You can also apply by calling 1-866-615-2274.
  • No annual fee.
  • Signup bonus: 60K points for spending $1K in the first 4 months
  • Earning: 6 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 3 points/$ at U.S. supermarkets, drugstores & gas stations; and 2 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Silver status for as long as you have the card.
  • Fast track To Gold status: After four qualifying stays within your first 91 days of cardmembership, receive Gold status through the end of the following calendar year.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Hilton HHonors Bonus Points offer not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card account that was opened or closed in the past 24 months."

Flyertalk discussion thread: Citi Hilton HHonors VISA [60k-75k, read Wiki to choose]
Basic Amex HH Card
Offer for 50K points (spend $750/3mos.) + $50 credit for first purchase: Make a dummy reservation on Hilton site. Offer will appear on page before final booking. (Cannot be linked to directly.)
Offer for 50K points (spend $750/3mos.)
  • No annual fee.
  • Earning: 7 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 5 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; and 3 on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Silver status for as long as you have the card and Gold status after $20,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card
FAQ
1. Are these cards churnable?
As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

In August 2016, Citi began inserting language into applications and landing pages requiring a 24-month wait from the date of the opening or closure of any Citi Hilton card. Previously, the Citi Hilton Signature Visa and Reserve cards were on separate clocks for each applicant. Now there is a single 24-month clock reset by open/close of either type of card. For more info, see the wiki at Citi Hilton HHonors VISA [60k-75k, read Wiki to choose].

2. I have met the spending. When will my bonus post?
For Amex cards, the bonus will post a few days after meeting the spend. The points from the actual spend will post after statement is generated. For Citi products, bonus points post only at statement close.

3. What happened to the Amex drugstore category spending bonus?
Changes to Hilton Amex cards as of May 2013 are explained here:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...at-we-thought/

4. What is the link to upgrade from no fee card to Surpass card for 50,000 after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months?
This link redirects to this landing page. Application page.
You need to be logged into your Amex account first, then click on the link above, then click Upgrade. (This does not work for all people. It is suspected that only people that have had the no-fee card for at least one year are able to upgrade to the Surpass card.) There is generally no hard pull on your credit report for upgrading.

5. Does having one of these Hilton cards preclude me from successfully earning the signup bonus on a different one?
No. All four cards are separate products. Having (or having previously had) one of them has no effect on your bonus eligibility for the others--but note, as discussed in FAQ #1, that opening or closing any Citi Hilton card will affect your eligibility for any new Citi Hilton card bonus.

Print Wikipost

Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2013, 4:43 pm

Happy,

I am not sure if this is correct info. I think a person will get GOLD for the rest of the calendar year + next year + 3/31 of the following year. One of my family members applied and received the Surpass in early 2011, they definitely did not spend $20,000 in 2011 or 2012 and they still have GOLD through 3/31/2013. Maybe something changed since 2011, but it was definitely longer than 1 year from when they received the card.

Cheers,,

PedroNY

Originally Posted by Happy
The Surpass card gives you instant gold status for ONE year. I asked AMEX before, the rep said it was when your card was approved - makes sense as that is the card benefit, not something you need to meet a spend to get. The other stuff you ask, are normally associated to bonus miles. Status is NOT a bonus but a benefit. Hence the difference.

It should last thru the card's anniversary date - meaning ONE year.
(The Citi Reserve is as long as you hold the card. A much better deal if your goal is to obtain Gold via opening a card.)

The status earned via the stays goes by the Apr 1 to Mar 31 membership year.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by michael_v

•Airport Lounge Access: Access to over 500 airport lounges around the world with complimentary Priority Pass™ membership valued at $996
" All lounge visits are subject to a fee of U.S. $27 per person per visit."

Not much of a perk as this is the standard membership (actually lower as no access to United Clubs. Saves $99/yr if you otherwise would have purchased. Not sure where your $996 value came from
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jmw2323
" All lounge visits are subject to a fee of U.S. $27 per person per visit."

Not much of a perk as this is the standard membership (actually lower as no access to United Clubs. Saves $99/yr if you otherwise would have purchased. Not sure where your $996 value came from
If you look at the page, the 6 is a reference to a certain paragraphs in the T&Cs.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by PainCorp
If you look at the page, the 6 is a reference to a certain paragraphs in the T&Cs.
yep, i see that. OP should be corrected
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jmw2323
yep, i see that. OP should be corrected
Done.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 8:11 am

Programs: seeking best cc sign-up & spend bonus offers
Anyone else having trouble with post#1 Hilton HHonors link-application? 1 wk+ ago I used it successfully. Another family member, several attempts over several days, gets "problem with imput for one of the fields" message & loses all imputted data when going back one step to look for issue. Similar link-offer at TPG yields same problem. How did you solve it? Thanks!

Has anyone used post#1 link & applied successfully without this issue in last 48 hours?

Last edited by TravelPhotographer; Feb 28, 2013 at 10:15 am
Old Mar 9, 2013, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA DL silver
received an offer in mail today. 60000 points offer for the no annual fee card, after $750 spend in 3 months.
i am a newbie to all of these travel things, and have booked a room through hilton's website only once and stayed there last christmas..
I will maintain this thread with the latest public offers for the Hilton Amex credit cards. If anyone has any better offers, please PM me or post in the thread and I will add them to OP. I will also start a FAQ; if you want items added to FAQ, also let me know.

The Hilton HHonors™ Card from American Express (no annual fee)
Earn 50,000 HHonors Bonus Points after you make USD $750 in eligible purchases in the first three months of Cardmembership.

•Earn 6 Hilton HHonors™ Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases at any participating hotel within the Hilton HHonors portfolio of brands.
•You will receive 3 HHonors Bonus Points for each dollar of other eligible purchases.
•No Annual Fee
•No Blackout Dates: No blackout dates when redeeming for hotel stays
•Silver Status: Complimentary Silver status for life of membership
•Offer expires April 30, 2013
Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any other Consumer Hilton HHonors™ Card from American Express® account within the last 90 days.

See Terms, Conditions and Disclosures for important information.

https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...rd/71-1000-216

The Hilton HHonors™ Surpass® Card from American Express (USD $75 annual fee)
Earn 40,000 HHonors Bonus Points after your first purchase on the Card. Plus, earn 20,000 Bonus Points after you make USD $3,000 in eligible purchases in the first three months of Cardmembership.

•Earn 12 Hilton HHonors™ Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases at any participating hotel within the Hilton HHonors portfolio of brands
•Earn 6 Hilton HHonors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases at U.S. stand-alone supermarkets and on gasoline at U.S. stand-alone gas stations
•You will receive 3 HHonors Bonus Points for each dollar of other eligible purchases
•No Blackout Dates: No blackout dates when redeeming for hotel stays
•Complimentary Gold Status: Complimentary Gold status for the first year
•Airport Lounge Access: Access to over 500 airport lounges around the world with complimentary Priority Pass™ membership valued at $99
•Annual Membership Fee: $75
•Offer expires April 30, 2013
Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any other Consumer Hilton HHonors™ Card from American Express® account within the last 90 days.

See Terms, Conditions and Disclosures for important information.

https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...ard/71-1000-71

FAQ

1. I have met the spending. When will my bonus post?
The bonus will post a few days after meeting the spend. The points from the actual spend will post after statement is generated. This is the general process of points posting from Amex cards.

2. What happened to the drugstore category?
Upcoming changes to Hilton Amex cards are explained here:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...at-we-thought/

3. So when can we churn this card?
This is how I interpret the T&C and it has been confirmed by a poster on a previous Hilton Amex card thread as per their interaction with Amex CS: if you have had the exact same card in the past, it needs to be closed for at least 12 months before applying again. Furthermore, any other Hilton Amex cards also need to be closed for at least 3 months.

4. What is the link to upgrade from no fee card to Surpass card for 50,000 after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months?
http://www304.americanexpress.com/ge...Honors-Surpass
(thanks stupidzbu!)
You need to be logged into your Amex account first, then click on the link above, then click Upgrade.
This does not work for all people. It is suspected that only people that have had the no-fee card for at least one year are able to upgrade to the Surpass card.
There is generally no hard pull on your credit report for upgrading.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wwwny
received an offer in mail today. 60000 points offer for the no annual fee card, after $750 spend in 3 months.
i am a newbie to all of these travel things, and have booked a room through hilton's website only once and stayed there last christmas..
Does your offer have an invitation code?
Old Mar 10, 2013, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA DL silver
Does your offer have an invitation code?
it has a RSVP # not sure if it is the "invitation code"
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:20 am
Original Poster

it has a RSVP # not sure if it is the "invitation code"
RSVP # = invitation code

Different banks give different names to the same thing.

Thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2013, 7:27 am

Any update on this targeted offer? Has anyone else gotten this? I'm looking to get a no annual fee AMEX hiltonhonors card, and trying to get most out of it.

Finally, are invitation codes share-able??
Old Mar 21, 2013, 9:19 am

If anyone could help me with this I'd really appreciate it.

I will receive my shiny new HHonors Amex (no fee) card either tomorrow or monday (applied Wed morning). Does anyone know if the 6X drugstore category is still available to someone that gets a card AFTER Amex changed the category bonus's?

From what I've read the 6X drugstore bonus will end when the statement closes in May '13. That would give me all of April to utilize it if it's still good. The T&C in my application link stated only the following bonus categories:
6X on Hilton Hotel spending
3X on everything else

I'm really hoping that in May I will get an updated T&C with the 5X grocery store, restaurant, gas station bonus categories. I understand why they wouldn't include this during this interim period, I just hope that people that get the card during this period aren't in some sort of bonus category pergutory! Any help advice would be great! And obviously I will experiment with this on my own, but due to the proximity to May I doubt I will find out my answer before it's past the May deadline.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by krzytwnse
Any update on this targeted offer? Has anyone else gotten this? I'm looking to get a no annual fee AMEX hiltonhonors card, and trying to get most out of it.

Finally, are invitation codes share-able??
I received this offer as well complete with an RSVP#. Application deadline April 12.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by PedroNY
Happy,

I am not sure if this is correct info. I think a person will get GOLD for the rest of the calendar year + next year + 3/31 of the following year. One of my family members applied and received the Surpass in early 2011, they definitely did not spend $20,000 in 2011 or 2012 and they still have GOLD through 3/31/2013. Maybe something changed since 2011, but it was definitely longer than 1 year from when they received the card.

Cheers,,

PedroNY
This has been my experience as well. Mrs. Ispolkom got the Surpass card in January 2012, and is gold through 3/31/14.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 9:00 pm

Do they send you a new card every time you upgrade and downgrade your card? The card number is the same or not? when they start to count the 90 day? the date you apply for the upgrade?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.