Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

MOBILE Flight Deck Secondary Barrier Galley Cart System

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MOBILE Flight Deck Secondary Barrier Galley Cart System

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Introduced by four MC's: Representatives André Carson (IN-07), Brian Fitzpatrick (PA-01), Josh Gottheimer (NJ-05), and Peter King (NY-02).

I wonder if any of them invest in companies that produce or install secondary cockpit barriers? Or how much any such companies have donated to their various campaign funds?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: http://www.maclean-scotus.info
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Introduced by four MC's
Sorry, wrong article:

The "Saracini Enhanced Aviation Safety Act of 2019," introduced by U.S. Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick and 10 co-sponsors last week, would require lightweight wire-mesh barriers to be installed on existing passenger aircraft.
https://www.theintell.com/news/20190...-killed-on-911
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Introduced by four MC's: Representatives André Carson (IN-07), Brian Fitzpatrick (PA-01), Josh Gottheimer (NJ-05), and Peter King (NY-02).

I wonder if any of them invest in companies that produce or install secondary cockpit barriers? Or how much any such companies have donated to their various campaign funds?
Well Peter King, for one, has never met a security measure he didn't like. He'd probably be fine with just banning people from flying altogether.
flatdawgs likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's been a long while since I had exposure to government contracting so I may be behind the times. If government issues a Request for Proposal for a cockpit barrier I'm fairly sure that there would be requirements to prove it's effectiveness which would require a mock-up of the entrance to a typical cockpit for testing purposes. In addition I'm sure some proof that the proposed solution meets all standards. Then kick in the installation issues for the various makes and modes of aircraft in operation and the contracting process becomes fairly complex.

The Aviation Security business has grown in the last decade and I'm sure these companies have the staffing to respond to any Proposal Request both from a legal and engineering perspective. And the money to grease the right palms too!
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
It's been a long while since I had exposure to government contracting so I may be behind the times. If government issues a Request for Proposal for a cockpit barrier I'm fairly sure that there would be requirements to prove it's effectiveness which would require a mock-up of the entrance to a typical cockpit for testing purposes. In addition I'm sure some proof that the proposed solution meets all standards. Then kick in the installation issues for the various makes and modes of aircraft in operation and the contracting process becomes fairly complex.

The Aviation Security business has grown in the last decade and I'm sure these companies have the staffing to respond to any Proposal Request both from a legal and engineering perspective. And the money to grease the right palms too!
Yeah, but remember, this isn't a government contract - it's a proposed requirement for the common carriers to install a new security device. Won't cost the gubmint a red cent, but it'll cost the carriers a pretty penny to install these boondoggles on all of their aircraft.

And that's why I think it's doomed to failure, because both the carriers and the aircraft manufacturers will lobby the heck out of Congress to kill that bill d-e-d-d-dead.
Xyzzy, cestmoi123 and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:28 am
Original Poster

The creators of the 2006 movie "United 93" CLEARLY believe that 9/11 hijackers simply waited for the cockpit doors to routinely open early when the pilots got breakfast trays and used the lavatory. Watch these two scenes in which the muscle hijackers are chiding the boss for not attacking when the doors were open with the flight attendant's back to the cabin:

Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: QF WP
Is this what we’ve become? A dramatic representation of events that took place almost 20 years ago, in a completely different security climate, is now considered evidence?
aidy likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MacLeanBarrier
The creators of the 2006 movie "United 93" CLEARLY believe that 9/11 hijackers simply waited for the cockpit doors to routinely open early when the pilots got breakfast trays and used the lavatory. Watch these two scenes in which the muscle hijackers are chiding the boss for not attacking when the doors were open with the flight attendant's back to the cabin:
What is a "muscle hijacker"? Were cockpit doors locked pre 9/11?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nancypants
Is this what we’ve become? A dramatic representation of events that took place almost 20 years ago, in a completely different security climate, is now considered evidence?
What's changed to stop someone from diving into an unlocked cockpit? Do you trust the unbeknownst flight attendants—some in their 70s—and drink-carts to stop a suicidal terrorist?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
What is a "muscle hijacker"? Were cockpit doors locked pre 9/11?
The ones who weren't crashing the jets.

No, the cockpit doors were routinely unlocked to give the pilots breakfast trays or when the used the lavatory—those 2 scenes in the movie "United 93" shows this.

There were no secondary barriers then and there aren't any now.

But EL AL ALWAYS had them. Here's a CBS News article that came out 4 months before the U.S. Supreme Court-cited July 28, 2003 al Qaeda copy-cat plot of 9/11—wait for the doors to routinely unlock:

[Captain Steve] Luckey [Chairman of the National Security Committee for ALPA] would like to see another safety measure — a Kevlar curtain that acts as a secondary barrier when the cockpit door is opened. He said the curtain would delay a terrorist long enough for passengers to attack him. Luckey wants Congress to order all planes to have it.
​​​​​​​[...]
Israel's national airline, El Al, has among the most stringent security requirements. All its planes have double doors separated by a narrow hallway, said Offer Einav, former security director for the airline. Pilots must close one door before opening the other, he said.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bulletproof-cockpit-doors-a-reality/​​​​​​​
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA
From Fitzpatrick: The Saracini Enhanced Aviation Safety Act of 2019 [H.R. 911] mandates inexpensive, lightweight wire-mesh gates to be installed on existing aircraft between the passenger cabin and the cockpit door that would block access to the flight deck whenever the cockpit door is opened during flight. (https://fitzpatrick.house.gov/media-...acini-aviation)

If the politicians are specifying wire mesh gates wouldn't that negate the need for mobile aircraft barrier carts?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arttravel
If the politicians are specifying wire mesh gates wouldn't that negate the need for mobile aircraft barrier carts?
I've already met and meeting with more House and Senate offices to explain that the "wire mesh" 12-cable unit is not cost effective--which why most have been removed due to drink-carts and roller-bags always running into and breaking them. Too much downtime was a result due to the need to call 2 contractors to fix the 12-cable barrier and anchor it back into the bulkheads.

My barrier cart rolls off with a new one to replace it after landing--zero downtime.

The 12-cable system is also dangerous due to being exposed to the general passengers. It can be sabotaged with a simple metal tool or super-glue.

My barrier cart has an disturb-circuit alarm after it's stowed. It also collapses back into the special cart, stows and locks away with the standard drink-carts, and camoflages with them. Impossible to sabotage.

Finally, the 12-cable "wire mesh" system cannot stop firearms or synthetic opiod attacks with fentanyl or carfentanil. My barrier is bullet-proof and seals the forward galley.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:00 pm

What's changed to stop someone from diving into an unlocked cockpit? Do you trust the unbeknownst flight attendants—some in their 70s—and drink-carts to stop a suicidal terrorist?
I trust them enough, is your answer
My partner is the other side of the door, making him the intended beneficiary of all this rhetoric. I worry about many things that mean he won’t come home at night but “suicidal terrorists” are not one of them.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nancypants

I trust them enough, is your answer
My partner is the other side of the door, making him the intended beneficiary of all this rhetoric. I worry about many things that mean he won’t come home at night but “suicidal terrorists” are not one of them.
Then your complaints should be directed to the TSA bosses who order TSOs to treat most every passenger as a suicidal killer--like this crippled war hero:

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...airport-video/

But gives the airport workers carte blanche--like those who are trucking in religious airline meals:

https://www.whistleblower.org/press-...s-exposed-air/
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:24 pm

We don’t have that here

maybe take it up with your politicians and media, rather than adding to project fear???
aidy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.