Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

MOBILE Flight Deck Secondary Barrier Galley Cart System

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MOBILE Flight Deck Secondary Barrier Galley Cart System

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
After the lessons learned from 9/11 I believe a hijacking attempt is a very remote probability. Could it happen, perhaps, but it would be much more difficult now. 9/11 was unique in that the hijackers had no demands of a political nature, all they wanted to do was take airplanes and use them as guided missiles, which they successfully accomplished with 3 of the 4 hijacked aircraft. The fourth aircraft crashed, but we know that the passengers and some crew fought back to overcome the hijackers, which is what will happen in all future hijacking attempts.

Where I think the threat lies today is just simple destruction of an aircraft while in flight. This would most easily be accomplished by a explosive device being loaded aboard the aircraft as baggage/cargo by an airport worker. TSA has steadfastly refused to deploy 100% screening of airport workers providing opportunity to introduce any manner of contraband.

Fighting last decades battle while new threats are evident seems a waste of resources. Cockpit barriers are a solution to an very unlikely problem while the real security threat goes unanswered.
Great post, Boggie Dog. At one time, bad guys hijacked planes to 'freedom' or for a suicide mission. 9/11 stepped things up - the planes were hijacked to be used as missiles against specific high-profile targets.

I think we've done what we can to prevent another cockpit takeover. I don't think destroying a single plane mid-flight is going to have the kind of effect that the clever terrorists want. That said, it's probably still an attractive idea for low-level thugs like the underpants bomber and the shoe bomber. I don't think it's something a master planner is interested in. I definitely think the only way a plane is going to be taken out midair is via an inside job - cleaning crew or baggage handlers stashing something on the plane. It won't be via the pax and their belongings, but here in the US, we'll continue to focus our efforts and taxpayer dollars on the pax anyway.

I don't think any future attacks (and I'm talking about well-planned political attacks, not idiots like the shoe bomber or the underpants bomber) will involve destroying a single aircraft mid-air. I think the next attack will resemble 9/11 in that it will be something new and crippling in the near-term. Disabling a single airport can cause massive ripple effects throughout the country - remember when that nutter torched some of ORD's hardware and brought the airport to a halt?
cestmoi123 and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: http://www.maclean-scotus.info
After the lessons learned from 9/11 I believe a hijacking attempt is a very remote probability. Could it happen, perhaps, but it would be much more difficult now. Cockpit barriers are a solution to an very unlikely problem while the real security threat goes unanswered.
Again 100% false. That's why it is law to install cockpit secondary barriers on new aircraft:

https://www.casey.senate.gov/newsroo...hijacking-bill
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Coercion, maybe they thought they could breach the door? Nothing in this document points to trying to rush the cockpit while the door is open as clearly their chosen attack vector.
100% grossly false. The doors cannot be breached without a heavy-duty hardened steel impact tool or explosives--and why would you take out explosives and put them on the door in order for air marshals, crew, or passengers to stop you?

They've been reinforced since 4 months before my U.S. Supreme Court cited disclosure about the July 2003 al Qaeda hijacking plot to wait for them to open--again:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bulletp...ors-a-reality/

The January 11, 2002 FAA order:

The Avalon Project : FAA Sets New Standards for Cockpit Doors; January 11, 2002
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
I definitely think the only way a plane is going to be taken out midair is via an inside job - cleaning crew or baggage handlers stashing something on the plane.
Agreed, for the most part. But cockpit secondary barriers need to be installed first.

I've addressed the airport worker "insider threat"--as opposed to majority focus on passengers being suicidal threats--and the U.S. Office of Special Counsel agreed and ordered an investigation to be conducted per 5 U.S.C. § 1213:

"At the weapons screening checkpoints, there’s too much focus on treating passengers as suicidal threats, which makes it much easier for a terrorist organization to recruit or deceive airport employees to smuggle life-threatening materials into their work area and on to a jet. Such an employee can leave the country before his or her boss notices. "
https://www.whistleblower.org/press/...ns-exposed-air
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MacLeanBarrier
Again 100% false. That's why it is law to install cockpit secondary barriers on new aircraft:

I stated my opinion which could be wrong but opinion is never false.

Just because some political hack got a bill passed doesn't make that item the smart thing to do. I believe the underwing threat is a far greater threat than someone breaching the cockpit door. And that is were available resources should be focused, in my opinion.

The Saracini Aviation Act only applies to new aircraft (which definition is under discussion) and not the 100's of in-service aircraft. What about them? If the installation of a barrier is not required on older aircraft then just how acute is the issue?
Exec_Plat, nancypants and kyanar like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec

In the past 17+ years since 9/11, there have been over 170 million commercial flights in the US. Of those 170 million, there were zero successful attempts to hijack a plane by getting into the cockpit while a pilot was entering or exiting. So, what leads you to believe that the current setup is inadequate?

I recognize that the barrier installation for new airplanes is law. It is, in my opinion, a dumb law, imposing costs on airlines and consumers for little if any detectable benefit.
Boggie Dog, nancypants and kyanar like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Just because some political hack got a bill passed doesn't make that item the smart thing to do.
False again. 92% of the 435 House members passed it, and 100% of the 100 Senators.

The Saracini Aviation Act only applies to new aircraft (which definition is under discussion) and not the 100's of in-service aircraft. What about them? If the installation of a barrier is not required on older aircraft then just how acute is the issue?
...and false again--a bill was introduced last week by 11 bipartisan members of Congress:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1PX2AZ
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
In the past 17+ years since 9/11, there have been over 170 million commercial flights in the US. Of those 170 million, there were zero successful attempts to hijack a plane by getting into the cockpit while a pilot was entering or exiting.
There were over a Billion flights before 9/11 and then 4 jets were crashed after the doors got unlocked:

Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

False again. 92% of the 435 House members passed it, and 100% of the 100 Senators.
That doesn't make it a good bill.

...and false again--a bill was introduced last week by 11 bipartisan members of Congress:

Are you saying the Saracini bill is false? What current law requires barriers to be retrofitted to existing aircraft? An introduced bill is not law.
nancypants and kyanar like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
This just isn't what I consider the best use of taxpayer dollars.

I'd much rather the money be spent improving the checkpoint process, since it's clear that the government refuses to even consider the possibility of insider threats.
Boggie Dog and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There were over a Billion flights before 9/11 and then 4 jets were crashed after the doors got unlocked:

https://youtu.be/Yu8ByQPhryc
What does this long video clip of a movie have to do with your statement? Yes I'll buy into over a billion flights before 9/11 and 4 jets crashed on 9/11 (I haven't tried doing the math). So what? We knew that already. We know that cockpit doors were not hardened. We know that flight crew were told to cooperate with hijackers which they did on 3 of the 4 airplanes.

Doing the math on over a billion flights with 4 lost on 9/11. The math on that is a decimal followed by a whole bunch of zeros before getting to a 1. In other words a real rarity that should be treated like a rarity.
cestmoi123, chollie and nancypants like this.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Feb 15, 2019 at 3:05 pm
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: QF WP

I'd love to get your comments and questions.

Appreciatively and respectfully,
Originally Posted by nancypants
(Comments and questions)
Nice attempt to throw shade.

(Response to a bunch of points that I haven’t even raised, and add nothing new and not already debunked to the discussion)

(complaints about a bunch of reports that are quoted repeatedly in the various responses to commenters here, which are now apparently overcooked and require OP to add his own, obviously much more valid observations)
I’ll remind you that none of us has any interest in an alternative product. None of us have a conflict of interest. None of us are attacking you personally (and neither are we being afforded the same courtesy, I might add. We just don’t think your product is required. YouTube clips and your interpretations of what reports should have said is not going to change that view. Sorry.
Exec_Plat and cestmoi123 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
it's clear that the government refuses to even consider the possibility of insider threats.
I'm on top of it!

https://m.govexec.com/management/2019/01/tsa-whistleblower-disclosures-prompt-two-aviation-security-probes/153881/?oref=GovExecTCO
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hardly on top of it, inspecting food trucks and Narcon is a tiny part of the issue. If there was Narcon who decides which person gets it? Would there be enough for everyone on the flight? How will this item be maintained and accounted for?

I do agree that nothing should be loaded on the aircraft that hasn't gone through a screening process. People, cargo, beverages, food, what have you.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Nice attempt to throw shade. The 9/11 Report was poorly cooked by too many cooks in the kitchen. Page 158 was the best part of the meal.

Explain why TSA withheld--for 6 years--from the public's view the fact that in July 2003 al Qaeda plotted to again wait for the cockpit doors to unlock "shortly after takeoff" 4 months after the FAA publicly announced that the doors were now bullet and drink-cart proof?

Oh, are you going to invoke the tired old "they would taken hostages and coerce the pilots to voluntarily unlock the doors"? Beat you to it. If you're so worried about "dumb pilots" unlocking the doors because some idiot was dumb enough to sneak passed a gountlet of security a large hunk of steel and bullets--how about riveting this placard on the inside of every cockpit door:

"REMEMBER 9/11. DO NOT UNLOCK THIS DOOR IF YOU ARE UNDER DURESS DUE TO KILLERS BEHIND IT. SOME MAY DIE, BUT UNLOCKING IT WILL KILL YOU, EVERYONE IN THE CABIN, AND PEOPLE ON THE GROUND. EMERGENCY LAND RIGHT NOW."

Here's the DHS July 26, 2003 warning hidden from view for 6 years. But you all are OK with this, the 2011 RTCA, and 2017 USDOT-OIG reports--about lack of cockpit secondary barriers--being hidden. Again, "a piece of metal is a secret" and you all swallow it whole--"Thanks FAA and TSA, we trust you. We're so grateful for your genius: You keep guns from making the pilots scared and allowing the bad people into the cockpit"...

http://nebula.wsimg.com/8a826f0d4bf5...&alloworigin=1
Explain why - if al Qaeda was plotting to attempt a cockpit incursion in 2003 - there has not been a single attempt by any terrorist organization in the 16 years since. Could it be... perhaps the current set of safeguards and precautions are adequate to dissuade them? Or maybe they're just playing the long game, letting us grow complacent for a decade and a half, and maybe in Year 17, POW! Right in the kisser!

Elephant in the room: So explain to us how the hijackers were going to get the doors opened knowing that all of them were now impenetrable.
No door is impenetrable, and no one here has asserted any such thing.

However, the reinforced and hardened doors are now strong enough to resist breaching attempts by an unarmed individual without heavy tools, long enough for the real source of in-flight aviation security - the terrified mob of pax who all remember the footage (some of us remember it live) of United 175 slamming into the South Tower in a ball of flame - to take action and render the would-be hijacker, uh, shall we say, no longer dangerous.

Had I any pity for any fanatical murdering monsters who could even conceive of such an act of depravity, I would certainly pity any poor sods who attempt to breach the cockpit of a full flight today.

Just because it's a law doesn't mean it's smart. It's against the law to keep a duck as a pet anywhere in New York City - does that mean that pet ducks are an imminent threat to the people of the Five Boroughs? If they're so dangerous, maybe NYC ought to exterminate all the wild ones, too.

The secondary barrier law may simply have been pushed through after a concerted lobbying effort by the company who makes money off them, whether they're actually needed or not. Wait - that has a ring of familiarity to it...

I don't care if all 535 MOC's voted for it, that still doesn't automatically make it right, smart, or necessary.

That's pretty arrogant that you believe you're smarter than 96% of our duly elected members of the U.S. Congress. Do you live in another country?

May I ask which brain trust you work for, if any?
Statistically speaking, if you're of average intelligence, then you're likely to be smarter than about 50% of any given group. Given the mean intelligence level of American elected officials, I wouldn't be surprised if every person in this thread was smarter than 96% of MOC's, past and present.

On a side note, you seem to believe that you're smarter than the 100% of people in this thread who disagree with your opinion that these expensive boondoggle secondary barriers are so desperately needed. May I ask which brain trust YOU work for? Aside from the company that produces these expensive barriers, that is. We all know which brain trust you used to work for, and I think you know the prevailing opinion of that particular brain trust 'round about these parts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.